Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Grakkus posted:

Perhaps, but I don't see why it couldn't be a less ridiculous looking, smarter-designed Twizy competitor. Plus the degree of ingenuity that went into saving costs is cool. The left and right doors are identical except with the mirror and lock in opposite places, the fenders are same too, the interior is 3d printed, the roof is canvas. The only electrical stuff is what is legally mandated. If they could price it at ~5.5-6k euros, I could see it becoming pretty popular in Europe. It really is a kind of modern 2CV.

I hate the feature bloat in modern cars as well as people being glued to their phones while driving, and this combats those issues in a fairly clever manner :shrug:

It wouldn't do well in the land of conspicuous consumption and gigantic trucks piloted by barely-trained teens, no. But it wouldn't be sold there anyway!

My region has a lot of these 45 kph mini cars because you can ride them under very favorable conditions. Most of them look like 20 years old. But I just looked at factory new ones and they can cost just shy of 20k€. Uses ones with 10k on the odometer can still cost 9k. Sheesh. Come in disrupt that market segment already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A used Twizi is like 4-5k eurobucks at best so I'm not holding my breath. I'd be willing to buy a used one for running around town for like 3k if it could get up to 70km/h and had windows so definitely not a Twizi.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://i.imgur.com/JcIBBeo.mp4

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Give some AI to the dummy so it has a fighting chance, that's just cruel

quote:

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Thursday it had hired outside experts to investigate its vehicle fuel economy and testing procedures after employees raised concerns, and did not know whether it would have to correct data given to regulators or consumers.

The investigation and concerns involving Ford's testing processes do not involve the use of so-called defeat devices - hardware and software designed deliberately to deceive government emissions tests, Kimberly Pittel, Ford's group vice president for sustainability, environment and safety engineering, told Reuters on Thursday.

The automaker since last fall has been investigating concerns raised by employees that incorrect calculations were used to translate test results into the mileage and emissions data submitted to regulators, Pittel said.

So you're about to get your Ford bought back (probably not)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Yep, that's how that works. I had to explain it to the missus when we got her new car. "I wanna test all my new safety features like the impact mitigation system!" "It doesn't stop the car. It slows the car right before you hit something so the hit isn't as hard."

Nov 6, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

Yep, that's how that works. I had to explain it to the missus when we got her new car. "I wanna test all my new safety features like the impact mitigation system!" "It doesn't stop the car. It slows the car right before you hit something so the hit isn't as hard."

If there's nothing behind the car why doesn't it just slam on the brakes?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Prong Song posted:

Your statement is not always true, the systems stop in time depending on a number of factors, but it would be very dumb to test. It never guarantees crash prevention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuPI1k_kVU&t=125s (linked to start at 2:05)

Nov 6, 2002

Here is IIHS, same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMFbMV5QNzk&t=73s

BMW just sucks at this.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Prong Song posted:

Not really. Every AEB system I can think of will bring the car to a stop below a certain speed threshold (usually about 30mph) because the detection range is greater than the braking distance at or below that speed. At speeds above that threshold they will mitigate the severity of the impact.

Obviously if you wait between two parked cars and jump out in front of a passing vehicle that's closer than its physically possible to bring the car to a halt then you're getting run the gently caress over, so maybe don't do that.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IT'S A METAPHOR

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The BMW determined that the dummy's life was worth less than the driver of the car

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My 2013 Audi S4 would only slow the car down to about 15 mph was an object was detected. My 2018 Audi S5 will slam on the brakes and bring the car to a complete stop.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BlackMK4 posted:

The BMW determined that the dummy's life was worth less than the driver of the car

tbf the limbs don't usually separate like that on an auto-ped

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BlackMK4 posted:

The BMW determined that the dummy's life was worth less than the time it would have cost the driver to slow down and be late for his business meeting

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You can see the BMW does dive a bit under braking as soon as the dummy is actually in front of it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pro click- informative and also features uncanny-valley-motion dummies being hit by cars and exploding

I'm glad safety boards are figuring out how to better test these safety systems so it isn't the wild loving west of companies making claims about what they can do. They may be a bit intrusive occasionally but hey you are at much less risk of being rear-ended by some dumbass staring at their phone or whatever

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Honda punting the dummy at the last minute was comedy gold.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

drgitlin posted:

Not really. Every AEB system I can think of will bring the car to a stop below a certain speed threshold (usually about 30mph) because the detection range is greater than the braking distance at or below that speed. At speeds above that threshold they will mitigate the severity of the impact.

Obviously if you wait between two parked cars and jump out in front of a passing vehicle that's closer than its physically possible to bring the car to a halt then you're getting run the gently caress over, so maybe don't do that.

The system in the BMW 2 series, 3 series, X1, X2, and X3 (at the least) will not stop the vehicle in either a pedestrian impact or vehicular impact situation UNLESS the vehicle has the "ACC with Stop and Go" feature. A feature, I should add, which is almost unavailable on the X1 in the USA.

Me saying "that's how the car works" was because her new car is an X1.

EDI1: It wasn't a statement about all impact mitigation or pedestrian impact mitigation systems.

EDIT2: The entire ACC S'n'G thing makes me peeved, because it was only not-offered on the X1 in the US. You had to specifically order it to get it, and from what I've been able to see almost nobody who bought a second gen X1 ordered it. In the rest of the world it was almost always included as part of the DAP+, DAP, or technology package. So why does it require the S'n'G system to brake? Beats me. Someone drew up a graph (which I have already lost) which shows braking speed difference between the S'n'G and non-S'n'G Impact Mitigation systems and the poo poo's nonsensical, it's just that the non-S'n'G system brakes with less force for a shorter amount of time, so you still hit people. Even when there's sufficient distance to come to a full stop. BOTH systems rely on the camera mounted in the rear-view mirror pod to detect impacts. WTF, BMW.

EDIT3: I point out that both systems use the pod cameras because on higher-end BMWs like the X5 and X7, the ACC Sn'G system (Which also is the vehicular impact mitigation system) takes input from front-and-side mounted radar pods, while the ped impact mitigation system ONLY uses the pod camera - so higher-end BMWs without ACC S'n'G still have full-stop ped impact mitigation.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They'll have to fix that for NCAP because they're really pushing that stuff now. That's why suddenly every Toyota Corolla and Suzuki Swift has auto braking and other similar features.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just learned in the announcement that they're killing it and closing the plant, that ford still sells the 2005 f-350 in South America.

https://www.fordcaminhoes.com.br/serie-f/f-4000-4x4/

The same steering wheel as the 1997 f-150. Although having the 2.8 cummins with a 5 speed stick is kinda neat.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Mr. Apollo posted:

My 2013 Audi S4 would only slow the car down to about 15 mph was an object was detected. My 2018 Audi S5 will slam on the brakes and bring the car to a complete stop.

This was weird for me to read because my friend has a 2018 S5 that basically got totaled yesterday in a frontal collision. Luckily he walked away with a mild concussion and nobody else was hurt. I haven't heard the whole story but I think there was too much ice on the roads and it turned into a 10-car pileup 5 minutes after his accident.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Really :effort: on staging a representative load for the truck.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Prong Song posted:

The system in the BMW 2 series, 3 series, X1, X2, and X3 (at the least) will not stop the vehicle in either a pedestrian impact or vehicular impact situation UNLESS the vehicle has the "ACC with Stop and Go" feature. A feature, I should add, which is almost unavailable on the X1 in the USA.

Me saying "that's how the car works" was because her new car is an X1.

EDI1: It wasn't a statement about all impact mitigation or pedestrian impact mitigation systems.

EDIT2: The entire ACC S'n'G thing makes me peeved, because it was only not-offered on the X1 in the US. You had to specifically order it to get it, and from what I've been able to see almost nobody who bought a second gen X1 ordered it. In the rest of the world it was almost always included as part of the DAP+, DAP, or technology package. So why does it require the S'n'G system to brake? Beats me. Someone drew up a graph (which I have already lost) which shows braking speed difference between the S'n'G and non-S'n'G Impact Mitigation systems and the poo poo's nonsensical, it's just that the non-S'n'G system brakes with less force for a shorter amount of time, so you still hit people. Even when there's sufficient distance to come to a full stop. BOTH systems rely on the camera mounted in the rear-view mirror pod to detect impacts. WTF, BMW.

EDIT3: I point out that both systems use the pod cameras because on higher-end BMWs like the X5 and X7, the ACC Sn'G system (Which also is the vehicular impact mitigation system) takes input from front-and-side mounted radar pods, while the ped impact mitigation system ONLY uses the pod camera - so higher-end BMWs without ACC S'n'G still have full-stop ped impact mitigation.

Ah, fair point. I usually get exposed to fully loaded stuff so there’s almost always radar there.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Really :effort: on staging a representative load for the truck.

"Jeff! Go to Home Depot and pick up some concrete for the shoot!"

"But I drive a Corolla!"

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Fayez Butts posted:

"Jeff! Go to Home Depot and pick up some concrete for the shoot!"

"But I drive a Corolla!"

Funny imagery, but of course it's probably fully CGI.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sharparoni posted:

This was weird for me to read because my friend has a 2018 S5 that basically got totaled yesterday in a frontal collision. Luckily he walked away with a mild concussion and nobody else was hurt. I haven't heard the whole story but I think there was too much ice on the roads and it turned into a 10-car pileup 5 minutes after his accident.

Year or two ago a finnish car magazine was doing large comparison test including testing the automatic braking systems. They had some VAG model and they were unable to make the automatic braking testing to work at all. No matter what, they couldn't make it to even try braking. With the help of the importer and manufacturer they finally found what the problem was. They were doing the testing in a test center, so the car's GPS recognized it was not on an official road and the automatic braking wasn't operational. You can marvel at the thought process, that comes to the conclusion that objects outside official roads aren't worth braking for.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 24, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Saukkis posted:

Year or two ago a finnish car magazine was doing large comparison test including testing the automatic braking systems. They had some VAG model and they were unable to make the automatic testing to work at all. No matter what, they couldn't make it to even try braking. With the help of the importer and manufacturer they finally found what the problem was. They were doing the testing in a test center, so the car's GPS recognized it was not on an official road and the automatic braking wasn't operational. You can marvel at the thought process, that comes to the conclusion that objects outside official roads aren't worth braking for.

What if you're on a road that's newer than the car's maps? Strikes me as a weird design decision

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Stimperor posted:

What if you're on a road that's newer than the car's maps? Strikes me as a weird design decision

This is one reason why I think even if I drove a six figure-value brand new 7 series BMW I would still probably use a 15 dollar iPhone mount from Best Buy and keep my phone on the windshield for navi or use CarPlay. Fuckin love Waze. Why deal with whatever random nav contractor your given car uses instead of Waze?

As for why that would have anything to do with AEB you got me.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 24, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Saukkis posted:

Year or two ago a finnish car magazine was doing large comparison test including testing the automatic braking systems. They had some VAG model and they were unable to make the automatic testing to work at all. No matter what, they couldn't make it to even try braking. With the help of the importer and manufacturer they finally found what the problem was. They were doing the testing in a test center, so the car's GPS recognized it was not on an official road and the automatic braking wasn't operational. You can marvel at the thought process, that comes to the conclusion that objects outside official roads aren't worth braking for.
That sounds like the kind of thing VAG did for the diesel cheat. If certain parameters were met then the engine ran a different program.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Saukkis posted:

Lol. Here’s a pedestrian avoidance test being conducted on live pedestrians with a car that wasn’t optioned with pedestrian avoidance.

http://money.com/money/3896931/volvo-self-parking-accident/

:v:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Volvo following the Toyota Century example and going Full Wool

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

This loving owns. Hope they sell tons.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Don't sit on that when you're wet!

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

Something Offal posted:

This is one reason why I think even if I drove a six figure-value brand new 7 series BMW I would still probably use a 15 dollar iPhone mount from Best Buy and keep my phone on the windshield for navi or use CarPlay. Fuckin love Waze. Why deal with whatever random nav contractor your given car uses instead of Waze?

As for why that would have anything to do with AEB you got me.

This is what Car Play/Android Auto is for.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

Don't sit on that when you're wet!

Sucks that I couldn't drive with any female passengers :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Oldest Man posted:

Those crushed-wool seats are so drat comfortable in the Toyota Century. I hope this is even halfway as good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's not premium if it's not pleather :byodood:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I love wool, but that poo poo would get so dirty in a week. My dog would track mud on it, my girlfriend would spill coffee on it and my nonexistent kids would draw on it with markers. You'd have to line it with plastic tarps like an old person.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

I love wool, but that poo poo would get so dirty in a week. My dog would track mud on it, my girlfriend would spill coffee on it and my nonexistent kids would draw on it with markers. You'd have to line it with plastic tarps like an old person.

I think you mean lace seat covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anything that gets rid of the scourge that is leather seats as the premium option on cars is a great thing.

I really don't understand why that has to be a thing. I hate leather seats, I don't want leather seats, why must I be forced to have them if I want a higher trim level?
Cloth seats are great! That's what I want!