Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wasn't paying attention when NIN came out, but I wonder if there was a similar argument around their skill names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I remember people complaining a lot about the accents in the rogue questline

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Dryzen posted:

I remember people complaining a lot about the accents in the rogue questline

thou. knave. in. the. darkmans.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

somepartsareme posted:

i wasnt replying to you specifically i see people genuinely calling eg stormblood a "weeb expansion" because the japanese game has japanese things all the time and the samurai complaints are usually in that vein. maybe it's just an unfunny meme idk

It would have been cool if we got a "japanese expansion" that didn't feature another video game rehash of The Four Divine Beasts

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Dryzen posted:

I don't really think that first argument is disingenuous. If your point is that you aren't able to easily remember the names of samurai abilities is "they aren't in English" then it's perfectly valid to respond that other ability names also aren't in English. I can understand being confused with something not being familiar to words that you are used to, but when you make it a point of contention all it will end up doing is offending people.

The only thing stopping you from becoming familiar with those words is yourself and it's because of that that people will attribute a very negative reason with why you are complaining about it.

hes saying because all of the SAM abilities are in japanese they blend together and are hard to remember and he's right. when you only have a handful of gibberish name abilities it's fine but when they're all gibberish it's harder

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They should rework machinist to be based around goblin tech, and make all the abilities be named in gobbiespeak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

johnny park posted:

hes saying because all of the SAM abilities are in japanese they blend together and are hard to remember and he's right. when you only have a handful of gibberish name abilities it's fine but when they're all gibberish it's harder

Do people view all words in other languages like this? "Oh well it's all gibberish!"

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Do people view all words in other languages like this? "Oh well it's all gibberish!"

no, are you a loving idiot, we're talking about names of abilities in video games and the capacity to remember them vs words in english

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They should remake all the skills in gobbiespeak because they would be immediately memorable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

johnny park posted:

no, are you a loving idiot, we're talking about names of abilities in video games and the capacity to remember them vs words in english

Yes. I mean that in video games too. Like... a huge majority of games I can think of have words in other languages, if just due to mythology and the fact fantasy developers have a massive hard-on for German.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dryzen posted:

I don't really think that first argument is disingenuous. If your point is that you aren't able to easily remember the names of samurai abilities is "they aren't in English" then it's perfectly valid to respond that other ability names also aren't in English. I can understand being confused with something not being familiar to words that you are used to, but when you make it a point of contention all it will end up doing is offending people.

The only thing stopping you from becoming familiar with those words is yourself and it's because of that that people will attribute a very negative reason with why you are complaining about it.

nah pal i'm going to say it's at least little disingenuous to say dragoon suffers from the same issue as samurai when only 2 of their 20+ abilities are non-english when over 20 of samurai's are; even if i don't know what geirskogul means or can't spell it half the time it's still easy to single out as "that one ability with the funny name"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

personally, i've never spoken a word of japanese and i never will
after all, what happens if i have to learn all of them after that? a terrifying proposition

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im glad that they didnt translate the move names because that means only the truly honorable samurai amongst us will play the class

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

its plainly true that words in your first language are going to be easier to remember and assign meaning to than words in a language that you don't speak. why is this even an argument. gently caress you

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

johnny park posted:

its plainly true that words in your first language are going to be easier to remember and assign meaning to than words in a language that you don't speak. why is this even an argument. gently caress you

counterpoint if you dont implicitly and natively understand the meaning of words like baka and kawaii then what are you even doing on the internet

just learn the individual words

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. I mean that in video games too. Like... a huge majority of games I can think of have words in other languages, if just due to mythology and the fact fantasy developers have a massive hard-on for German.

hey how do i get eight ship hop on my yoshitsune in persona 4, i can only get hassou tobi

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I dunno if it's even possible to respond to those posts

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

They should rework machinist to be based around goblin tech, and make all the abilities be named in gobbiespeak.

Ammocrams
Bulletbounce
Lenzlaw Elctroshot
Oilslick Bossjumps

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 22, 2019

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Got O11N in roulette today. I Verraised 19 times (100% of total raises done by the group), was using Mana Shift on cooldown on whichever healer had lower mana (assuming they were both still alive), and had to even stop DPS a few times because I ran out of MP Vercuring and -raising. It was a horrible ordeal of a fight, probably the worst single instance I've ever been in.

7 comms.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
These Little Ladies Day rewards are some peak "we're five months out from the expansion oh god oh christ put in anything" but of course idiots on reddit are having meltdowns over the devs being lazy

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SonicRulez posted:

Hm. Bollocks. Surely HoH will speed this up? The possibility of a lack of a Raubahn EX is in my mind.

I'd expect it to be about the same as far as grinding goes. Roulettes might make it a touch faster.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've been maining MCH for a year and I can't tell you what order the main combo goes in. This was my contribution to samurai chat, hth.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Blockhouse posted:

These Little Ladies Day rewards are some peak "we're five months out from the expansion oh god oh christ put in anything" but of course idiots on reddit are having meltdowns over the devs being lazy

The upcoming spriggan hoodie is Top Tier so any other seasonal items are extremely whatever in comparison

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I mean, it kinda made me realize how lame it is they dont have previous year's stuff available in game like with WoW holidays.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Shootbang, Big Shootbang, Biggie Shootbang

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, it kinda made me realize how lame it is they dont have previous year's stuff available in game like with WoW holidays.
Before the mogshop, almost all the seasonal stuff used to be tradeable + able to be got from the salvager, which was fantastic. Then they went back and made everything BoP

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol at people getting mad at other people because it's harder to remember stuff in a foreign language. Why look for something to take offense at where there is none.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the mog station is seriously egregious

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Kwyndig posted:

I doubt that'll happen again. They've been working on the instance servers a lot since then so hopefully it'll have enough capacity to handle the entire world population crashing into it.

I’m not sure why people think this or where it came from that they are confident there won’t be launch issues again. The load on the servers during launch will be massive, probably more then Stormblood, and I think it’s safe to assume that there will be bottlenecks and issues same as before. Like, it’s probably a bad idea to take the day off is all I’m saying.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
More realistically they’ll probably just not have a solo duty until a fair bit later on in Shadowbringers. At least a portion of the problem is that you hit the Raubahn duty in like under an hour. You haven’t even been to Rhalgar’s Reach yet at that point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That + underprovisioned servers + a massive ddos at the time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i know zero things about computers but maybe the additional data centers will help. or maybe they'll do the exact opposite.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Maybe the mega wealthy corporation should spend more than a few pennies on their servers :nsacloud:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I’m not sure why people think this or where it came from that they are confident there won’t be launch issues again. The load on the servers during launch will be massive, probably more then Stormblood, and I think it’s safe to assume that there will be bottlenecks and issues same as before. Like, it’s probably a bad idea to take the day off is all I’m saying.

I'm a little more confident because a) the HW launch was pretty smooth, b) there was a Raubahn Ex 2.0 in patch 4.2 (or near 4.2) that was fixed in like an hour, and c) FFXIV is really profitable. Yoshi P releasing a statement about Raubahn Ex seemed like a big deal and I'm reasonably sure they'll take extra steps for Shadowbringers. Can't prepare for everything of course. and I'm not expecting a perfect experience.

Captain Cappy posted:

Maybe the mega wealthy corporation should spend more than a few pennies on their servers :nsacloud:

They do, but honestly even with the best game servers, it's hard to harden against a DDoS targeted on a backbone instead of the game servers. The latter is mostly about money in advance, like Amazon rents out servers all the time and they've got computing to spare. There's a lot of scalability there. The former is convincing a partner (one that's not far from a monopoly) to spend money quickly, or to take significant measures outside of business hours.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SAM Pubbies: "UGH I can't remember short 1 words phrases in another language and correlate them with actions"

ME, after years of watching lovely translations of Kamen Rider, slamming LB 3: ORE NO HISSATSU WAZA.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 22, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol if you can't remember to Higg's Banana

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xarbala posted:

lol if you can't remember to Higg's Banana

My favorite characters in 14 are the elf twins Astronaut and Alphabet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My favorite characters in 14 are the elf twins Astronaut and Alphabet

Alphabet's a good boi, and easy to clown on

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
nanamo ul dahnamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SAM Pubbies: "UGH I can't remember short 1 words phrases in another language and correlate them with actions"

ME, after years of watching lovely translations of Kamen Rider, slamming LB 3: ORE NO HISSATSU WAZA.

Anyone who could make even basic sense of TVN subtitles is a linguistics master.