Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kitfox88 posted:

that article is proof that there’s no chance of reaching across the aisle with most of these people lol

Not an emptyquote. This is the loving truest statement I've read this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'd like to reach across the aisles with a flamethrower

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Um excuse me but these people are poor and therefore immune to criticism. Please report to your nearest gulag comrade.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i thought the poor rural white voter was the first one to line up to be a third world Maoist? oh they’re just dumb gently caress racist chuds?

lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do we overcome that poo poo? How do we undo this situation? These people don’t seem likely to organize for a war or anything—just gently caress with the rest of us and do mass shootings.

I don’t see a policy solution.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How do we overcome that poo poo? How do we undo this situation? These people don’t seem likely to organize for a war or anything—just gently caress with the rest of us and do mass shootings.

have a message that isn't dogshit and totally unpopular with everybody but the effete affluent liberal urban core of the donor class for one

most people just want somebody to hate, promise to destroy someone if they go along with you or promise to destroy them if they don't

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

have a message that isn't dogshit and totally unpopular with everybody but the effete affluent liberal urban core of the donor class for one

most people just want somebody to hate, promise to destroy someone if they go along with you or promise to destroy them if they don't

*taking podium at campaign kickoff*

Republicans! Hear my policy statement!

I assure you that with the help of God I will enter powerfully against you, and I will make war on you in every place and in every way that I can, and I will subject you to the yoke and obedience of the left and their highnesses, and I will take your persons and your women and your children, and I will make them slaves, and as such I will sell them, and dispose of them as their highnesses command: I will take your goods, and I will do you all the evils and harms which I can, just as to vassals who do not obey and do not want to receive their lord, resist him and contradict him. And I declare that the deaths and harms which arise from this will be your fault, and not that of their highnesses, nor mine, nor of the gentlemen who have come with me here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

You don't need to win over these people, you need to win the discouraged people who don't vote because a) they're not stupid and evil enough to be Republicans, and b) they're also not stupid enough to think the Democratic Party gives a poo poo about them.

And whenever and wherever you win office, you need to make fighting voter suppression a top priority. If you don't, you're deciding that the cord slowly tightening around your neck isn't a big deal right now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

displace the high tower liberals who are just as beholden to corporate ownership as the republicans with actual leftists who will do things for the displaced in the country and the people worth saving will come around in numbers large enough to easily win. people still voting republican when there's a genuine leftist who supports the poor and disenfranchised will never not vote republican because they aren't voting to better their lives they're voting to worsen others

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*taking podium at campaign kickoff*

Republicans! Hear my policy statement!

I assure you that with the help of God I will enter powerfully against you, and I will make war on you in every place and in every way that I can, and I will subject you to the yoke and obedience of the left and their highnesses, and I will take your persons and your women and your children, and I will make them slaves, and as such I will sell them, and dispose of them as their highnesses command: I will take your goods, and I will do you all the evils and harms which I can, just as to vassals who do not obey and do not want to receive their lord, resist him and contradict him. And I declare that the deaths and harms which arise from this will be your fault, and not that of their highnesses, nor mine, nor of the gentlemen who have come with me here.

You jest but this would probably resonate more than means tested coding camps and tax advantaged specialized financial vehicles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's a quote from a bloodthirsty conquistador who was described as Spain's Noblest Conquistador and who was called that because he's remembered as a pacifist and friendly to the natives for some bizarre reason

so hey, go with what works

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

You don't need to win over these people, you need to win the discouraged people who don't vote because a) they're not stupid and evil enough to be Republicans, and b) they're also not stupid enough to think the Democratic Party gives a poo poo about them.

And whenever and wherever you win office, you need to make fighting voter suppression a top priority. If you don't, you're deciding that the cord slowly tightening around your neck isn't a big deal right now.

Kitfox88 posted:

displace the high tower liberals who are just as beholden to corporate ownership as the republicans with actual leftists who will do things for the displaced in the country and the people worth saving will come around in numbers large enough to easily win. people still voting republican when there's a genuine leftist who supports the poor and disenfranchised will never not vote republican because they aren't voting to better their lives they're voting to worsen others

Yep. All this.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Theres also the long term goal. That while these people are themselves unable to be saved, their children can. It's happened before and can happen again. When someone grows up both being able to take advantage of things and sees society publicly reject bad behavior they have a better chance of turning out better than their parents. It's slow, messy, and is not irreversible, but it does work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, their children could, in theory. if they had education and opportunities.

it's very unfortunate.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the children of working class trumpfans are theoretically reachable assuming they haven’t gone full bore into cruelty and resentment

the children of rich trumpfans are little covingtons and kavanaughs, they are completely loving useless to society except getting slotted into nepotistic law firms and company boards

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

the children of working class trumpfans are theoretically reachable assuming they haven’t gone full bore into cruelty and resentment

the children of rich trumpfans are little covingtons and kavanaughs, they are completely loving useless to society except getting slotted into nepotistic law firms and company boards

I think once we instate free healthcare and free college, the average chud will abandon their principles. Like once the relief of ‘getting sick won’t bankrupt me forever’ washes over, they might get on board with full automatic gay space communism.

But there will be holdouts, who must be absolutely crushed without mercy. And much like the South’s colonels and true believers: bankers, payday lenders and healthcare executives must be publicly executed for crimes against the people.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

red19fire posted:

once we instate free healthcare and free college

So never

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

red19fire posted:

I think once we instate free healthcare and free college, the average chud will abandon their principles. Like once the relief of ‘getting sick won’t bankrupt me forever’ washes over, they might get on board with full automatic gay space communism.

But there will be holdouts, who must be absolutely crushed without mercy. And much like the South’s colonels and true believers: bankers, payday lenders and healthcare executives must be publicly executed for crimes against the people.

There are quite a few chuds right now on government services what would be happy to see them go so they can guzzle the piss of rich assholes, as long as they get more to drink that the "wrong people".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

There are quite a few chuds right now on government services what would be happy to see them go so they can guzzle the piss of rich assholes, as long as they get more to drink that the "wrong people".

in my experience welfare chuds tend to get incredibly defensive when you point out that they're also on welfare. i don't think they're so eager to let go of it, they just don't want you to call them out

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's because they "deserve it, unlike the loving freeloader illegals"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The only moral welfare handout is my welfare handout.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's basically the popular idea of retributive justice, except morality is tied to group membership

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

red19fire posted:

Wait, why are they being rewarded with a quick death? Can't we just seize all of their assets, strip them of all of their belongings, gag and blindfold them and then drop them off in the middle of a random city far on the opposite side of the country from where they lived? If its summer, they will be given a burlap sack to wear. If its winter, two burlap sacks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

that's because they "deserve it, unlike the loving freeloader illegals"

They don't like it when you point out that McDonald's has a now hiring sign up so that the dignity of work is available to them as well if only they'll pick themselves up by their bootstraps

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

Wait, why are they being rewarded with a quick death? Can't we just seize all of their assets, strip them of all of their belongings, gag and blindfold them and then drop them off in the middle of a random city far on the opposite side of the country from where they lived? If its summer, they will be given a burlap sack to wear. If its winter, two burlap sacks.

Flog them through the streets to the jeering taunts of the crowd.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

They don't like it when you point out that McDonald's has a now hiring sign up so that the dignity of work is available to them as well if only they'll pick themselves up by their bootstraps

Only high schoolers work at McDonald’s. it’s not a career!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

Only high schoolers work at McDonald’s. it’s not a career!

literally all of my hs friends still say this. And none of them did it theirself while we were in hs. post trump voters realizing they’re going to die? try “leftists realize they’re insanely outnumbered electorally”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are, by the way, not enough teenagers and young adults to do all the jobs that are supposedly only for students. It was a pain in the rear end digging up the statistics and do not ask me to find them now.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

There are, by the way, not enough teenagers and young adults to do all the jobs that are supposedly only for students. It was a pain in the rear end digging up the statistics and do not ask me to find them now.

Not to mention, the unavailability of students during school hours.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

you could just drive down the local burger king or mcdonalds and see how most of the staff are people in their loving 40s

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

[/quote]

I'm glad he's going to be dead before 2020

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
i have a fun anecdote re: minimum wage work and high school kids. the grocery store i worked at strong armed the local union into loving part timers over to maintain full time benefits and then immediately turned around and bought out/fired all the full timers to replace them with part time high school age kids. turns out that treating your workers like poo poo with poor wages and no chance for advancement only works if your workers need your job to live, cause kids will just go "haha gently caress this" and steal constantly or quit if you treat them like rear end

the store went from top in the province to barely making a profit right after they spent millions on renovating it lmao. played urselves

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
anyway that job is why i went from dem soc/ndp to the Just Guillotine THe Bastards Party

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao what a poo poo union. Post yellow unions dieing under Trump here

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Serf posted:

you could just drive down the local burger king or mcdonalds and see how most of the staff are people in their loving 40s

yes but the entire point of that rhetoric is that if you're doing that work as anything other than a teenager (or college student) then you deserve a poo poo job with poo poo wages, poo poo benefits. it's completely unveiled classism

Serf
May 5, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

yes but the entire point of that rhetoric is that if you're doing that work as anything other than a teenager (or college student) then you deserve a poo poo job with poo poo wages, poo poo benefits. it's completely unveiled classism

agreed, but any sort of critical thinking will lead you to go "well why are so many adults working what is supposed to be a 'starter' job for kids?"

good thing american schools haven't been actively stamping out critical thinking skills for decades

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

literally all of my hs friends still say this. And none of them did it theirself while we were in hs. post trump voters realizing they’re going to die? try “leftists realize they’re insanely outnumbered electorally”

the amount of people who have eaten poo poo for poverty wages is far, far greater than the number who have never had to trouble themselves with the "indignity of proletarian work"

I worked in and ran restaurants for 15 years before I got into an office job, and thankfully my current officemates trend left and aren't like trust fundies, but every time I'd hear some keyboard jockey pretend like it's a breeze working in food, I'd take a moment to imagine them trying to run a grill solo during a rush and have a Sensible Chuckle

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Agean90 posted:

lmao what a poo poo union. Post yellow unions dieing under Trump here

https://www.politico.com/states/new...on-yards-862584

quote:

The International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers on Tuesday fired the leadership at Local 46, a New York City union under its jurisdiction. The move came after the Washington, D.C.-based union negotiated a deal with The Related Companies for its members to work on several projects within the development.

quote:

“Just going to say this. Any union organization officials that say you need to cross a picket line are a disgrace to the labor movement. They should be ashamed of themselves. And their members should demand they resign,” he wrote Wednesday afternoon.

The parent union stepped into the local fight after Local 46 members refused to cross a picket line to work on 50 Hudson Yards — a 985-foot-tall office tower — and the second phase of the entire development known as the Western Yard, according to four sources familiar with the dispute who would only speak on the condition of anonymity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

As long as we have multiple unions, they will be vulnerable to being divided against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zegermans posted:

I'm glad he's going to be dead before 2020

oh he's already dead:

“At the most basic level, he died of the toxic effects of liver damage caused by hepatitis C,” Metzl writes. “When the liver becomes inflamed, it fails to filter toxins from the blood and loses the ability to produce vital compounds such as bile and albumin. Without treatment, death comes by systemic deterioration. Jaundice gives way to ascites, which then gives way to hepatic encephalopathy and coma. It’s an exceedingly slow, painful way to go out.”

But Metzl reveals another culprit: the toxic effects of dogma absorbed by many white people that might lead them to accept a painful death over giving up their place in a hierarchy that puts them above blacks, Mexicans, immigrants, other nonwhite people and “the poor.”