Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

So, "Return of Wolverine" sure was a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a very pretentious story for such a dead simple explanation for his latest resurrection.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what'd they do with his crisp candy shell

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I picked up Next Gen last week, and I enjoyed it but I feel like unless I'm getting all the Age of X-men, it's kind of pointless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not up to date on X-Men, is he the Phoenix host or what?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I'm not up to date on X-Men, is he the Phoenix host or what?

I didn't read the Infinity Watch book, but I had a lot of faith in Soule so unfortunately I wound up reading all of Return. Basically, There's a new bad guy whose power is resurrecting dead people, and either using them as host bodies or I guess giving them some degree of agency. She's trying to build a new utopia up in a satellite with a bunch of other satellites ringing the planet, to help extent the range of her powers. She resurrected Wolverine to act as muscle-- I either forget how she got him out of his adamantium shell or the book just didn't explain it-- and gives him his free will back, temporarily, to pitch him the idea of willingly joining her evil space colony. It goes poorly for her and her satellites and Wolverine falls through space, through the atmosphere, and into the ocean where his burnt-up rear end is rescued by fishermen. As the late Annette Hanshaw might say-- that's all!

Edit: Also, I'm always a few days behind on a lot of the X-books because I don't buy many of them, I just read my office-mate's on Friday-- and I have no idea at this point if UXM is even in main continuity or not. It's suddenly some kind of nightmare dystopia with mutant concentration camps? Multiple Man continues to be written as some kind of perverse bizarro-Poochy where he's constantly showing up and people are constantly yelling at him about it? There's still an absurdly bloated cast with confusing and emotionally flat death scenes? Who is this for? It's wild that the first chunk leading into Age of X-Man were also so dismal, but the actual Age of X-Man book and most of the spin-offs so far have wound up being pretty fun, meanwhile UXM itself continues to spiral towards that sweet spot of banal and incoherent. What on earth is going on with Matthew Rosenberg? DId I just hallucinate 3 Kids Rob A Bank being good?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 22, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rather than resurrection, she just controls corpses like puppets. she can automate them somewhat, but they don't come back to life. wolverine was one of the corpses she controlled to do poo poo, then he stopped being dead for no particular reason. it's not like he needs a reason, anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If return of Wolverine was not written by someone like Soule or anyone of his level, it would be acceptable, but dang.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think Ed Brisson wants me to be happy that Deathlok Prime is getting killed by Ahab in X-Force but I sure am!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

If return of Wolverine was not written by someone like Soule or anyone of his level, it would be acceptable, but dang.

Soule has a history of making decent comics out of Bad Ideas ("Hey Charles we want the Inhumans to be a marquee brand, write that, willya?"), but this one was eminently forgettable, sadly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Whoever it was who said that Age of X is a pile of X-man's various neuroses smashed together into a world is totally right.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
The X office finally gets it budget back, but most of the titles sound horrible. From what I've read about Return of Wolverine I'm glad I skipped it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1101313066250223616?s=19

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I've been reading through all of Claremont's Uncanny and that whole spread in there between the Dark Phoenix Saga and the 180's or so is deliriously insane and a ton of fun. Dracula, Dragons, Leprechauns, and more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I've been reading through all of Claremont's Uncanny and that whole spread in there between the Dark Phoenix Saga and the 180's or so is deliriously insane and a ton of fun. Dracula, Dragons, Leprechauns, and more.

I think Claremont's run is pretty easily the greatest long form piece of comics from that era. Better and more important than Sandman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if Dracula's the first example of Everybody Has the Hots For Storm.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I think Claremont's run is pretty easily the greatest long form piece of comics from that era. Better and more important than Sandman.

Yeah, in a lot of ways it feels like it shouldn't work (it's so silly and not even in an ironic, self-aware way) but it does. Against all odds, some of the most important comics ever written. Most highly influential comics runs are satires, commentaries, or deconstructions: Claremont's Uncanny isn't that at all.

It's an entirely genuine, tongue out of cheek superhero melodrama, a genuine effort at writing superhero tropes fused with romance and adventure genre pulp that at worst smoulders, and at best absolutely sizzles. It's a celebration of genre fiction, stories, and serial narrative that crackles with talent and isn't in the least bit self-conscious about being what it is. In itself that's interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if Dracula's the first example of Everybody Has the Hots For Storm.

I can't remember if that was before or after Dr Doom kidnapped her (and almost accidently destroyed the world in the process).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, in a lot of ways it feels like it shouldn't work (it's so silly and not even in an ironic, self-aware way) but it does. Against all odds, some of the most important comics ever written. Most highly influential comics runs are satires, commentaries, or deconstructions: Claremont's Uncanny isn't that at all.

It's an entirely genuine, tongue out of cheek superhero melodrama, a genuine effort at writing superhero tropes fused with romance and adventure genre pulp that at worst smoulders, and at best absolutely sizzles. It's a celebration of genre fiction, stories, and serial narrative that crackles with talent and isn't in the least bit self-conscious about being what it is. In itself that's interesting.

I think about that period a lot, and I've decided that a big part of why it has the power it does is because it often isn't limited to just being a superhero book. There are big stretches of the original Claremont Uncanny X-Men that are very self-consciously young-adult science fiction, or horror, or Frank Miller-esque crime fiction, or European-influenced high sf, but you can count the Marvel-style hero vs. villain black-and-white punch-up stories on the fingers of one hand. (Maybe that fight with Mystique's Brotherhood that leads into the original Morlocks story? Arguably the #150 Magneto book that starts his redemption arc? The Mesmero circus thing?) Claremont's Uncanny really embraces the go-anywhere, do-anything comic book ethos in a way that very few of its contemporaries ever did, and gets really flexible about its own genre starting around the early '80s or so.

It's especially notable if you compare it to a lot of the other stuff that Marvel was putting out at the time. Early '80s Avengers in particular is just straight-up superhero stuff, no gimmicks, except where it intersects with Simonson's Thor. There's probably something to be said about how a lot of the good stuff in '80s Marvel is fiction that happens to star a superhero, rather than straight-up superhero storytelling; David's "The Death of Jean DeWolff" is a borderline-noir murder mystery, Simonson's Thor is a weird take on mythology filtered heavily through Kirby, Miller's Daredevil is a gritty crime drama, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I think about that period a lot, and I've decided that a big part of why it has the power it does is because it often isn't limited to just being a superhero book. There are big stretches of the original Claremont Uncanny X-Men that are very self-consciously young-adult science fiction, or horror, or Frank Miller-esque crime fiction, or European-influenced high sf, but you can count the Marvel-style hero vs. villain black-and-white punch-up stories on the fingers of one hand. (Maybe that fight with Mystique's Brotherhood that leads into the original Morlocks story? Arguably the #150 Magneto book that starts his redemption arc? The Mesmero circus thing?) Claremont's Uncanny really embraces the go-anywhere, do-anything comic book ethos in a way that very few of its contemporaries ever did, and gets really flexible about its own genre starting around the early '80s or so.

It's especially notable if you compare it to a lot of the other stuff that Marvel was putting out at the time. Early '80s Avengers in particular is just straight-up superhero stuff, no gimmicks, except where it intersects with Simonson's Thor. There's probably something to be said about how a lot of the good stuff in '80s Marvel is fiction that happens to star a superhero, rather than straight-up superhero storytelling; David's "The Death of Jean DeWolff" is a borderline-noir murder mystery, Simonson's Thor is a weird take on mythology filtered heavily through Kirby, Miller's Daredevil is a gritty crime drama, etc.

Absolutely this. Reading the Claremont run my overwhelming feeling is, "this isn't a comics writer writing superheroes, this is a prose writer, fluidly conversant in just about every breed of paperback novel, writing characters who happen to have weird powers". The run isn't locked in to superhero tropes and stereotypes - it's fascinated by all genres, and in fact acts as the originary point for some modern superhero tropes just by its exploration of novelistic sci-fi or romance plots.

So many of the plot beats are these pulp adventure, sci-fi, bodice ripper romance plot beats melded into the Marvel melodramatic model. Even the names - Katherine Pryde, Nathaniel Essex, Ororo Munroe, Sebastian Shaw, Logan - are straight out of the classier breed of romance novel.

Part of it is, you get the sense this is someone who's steeped in books, books of all pedigrees, and doesn't have a locked-in idea of how one "must" write comics. Instead he's just taking an approach that is tonally and structurally heavily informed by dramatic, propulsive prose writing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Catching up from last week, RIP Strong Guy, I came to like you a lot more than I used to.

Also hopefully Magik will be a major player in this X-men team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not reading Uncanny at the moment (probably catch up when it's on Unlimited) but are Scott and Logan, two people who just came back from the dead, acting like they believe the rest of the X-Men are dead and gone permanently?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are we still acting with chortling surprise when comic characters treat death as a serious thing even though iT's CoMiC bOoKs, DoN't ThEy KnOw ThEy'Ll CoMe BaCk To LiFe?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

With the X-Men in particular, it beggars belief given that both Scott and Logan have just been resurrected, and this isn't even the first time all the X-Men have very visibly died on broadcast news and then "disappeared" for a while. Like, it's a major part of the team's backstory that one time they all got killed by demons and the world thought they were dead, but then they were actually alive and kicking it in Australia the whole time. Logan was even one of the people on the Australia team.

I do feel like you need to cut reactions to character death some slack due to the nature of the medium, but the story doesn't even complexify it, it's just Scott and Logan like, "drat...can't believe everyone is dead, oh well". It's not well-written.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alaois posted:

are we still acting with chortling surprise when comic characters treat death as a serious thing even though iT's CoMiC bOoKs, DoN't ThEy KnOw ThEy'Ll CoMe BaCk To LiFe?

at this point it's particularly ridiculous with the X-Men because I'm pretty sure every remotely popular member of the team has died and come back at least once

like, honestly, you'd expect them to be treating it the same way as Dragon Ball Z by now, where everyone just kinda goes "oh yeah, death, that's a minor inconvenience I guess"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

at this point it's particularly ridiculous with the X-Men because I'm pretty sure every remotely popular member of the team has died and come back at least once

like, honestly, you'd expect them to be treating it the same way as Dragon Ball Z by now, where everyone just kinda goes "oh yeah, death, that's a minor inconvenience I guess"

what drives you to post in so many forums about so many topics when you know absolutely nothing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

It's just specifically that Scott Summers and Logan came back from the dead like five minutes ago.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not sure if there's a good way to directly address the elephant in the room for comic book death.

If you talk about it too much in context you get bizarre things like Identity Crisis or Blackest Night (and to a lesser extent, Heroes in Crisis) where you have a bunch of people simultaneously talking about how sure, we've all come back from the dead, but this one is different, somehow. Remember when Superman died? That was bad, but somehow this one feels even worse. Let me go tell Superman just how bad it is.

There's also the subgenre (52, Peter David X-Factor, One More Day, etc.) where you have the grieving character going nuts thinking that their loved one will come back from the dead, but people just don't come back from the dead, says the character who has definitely come back from the dead to their friend who also has come back from the dead.

But yeah if you don't mention how everyone has come back from the dead, people will be upset that the characters are stupid to not realize people come back from the dead.

My least favorite interpretation of this is the whole "Heroes Don't Kill, Because They Know If They Kill A Bad Guy They Might Just Come Back More Powerful Than Ever, Better To Put Them in Jail". Cool, so what's wrong with murder then? This sort of "push the hero to the edge" story almost always involves a villain killing a good person, but shouldn't the narrative at least be "why would I be mad at you for killing my partner, Kingpin? They're going to be even more powerful when they come back from the dead!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember Chris Claremont in some interview saying he wanted to do an issue where all the X-Men start putting bets on how long it'll take Wolverine to come back to life and Marvel put the kibosh on it.

Did they even technically die this time? I was really not following the Uncanny relaunch closely but didn't everybody just vanish at the end? Regardless, Wolverine and Cyclops have no idea how this event is gonna last so it makes sensethey should probably just carry on by themselves.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cyclops was stone cold dead and the Phoenix force briefly brought him back. Cable used a future science thingy to steal some of its power and make it permanent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

wiegieman posted:

Cyclops was stone cold dead and the Phoenix force briefly brought him back. Cable used a future science thingy to steal some of its power and make it permanent.

My bad, I was talking about the X-Men there. IIRC X-Man just kind of ragequit Earth-616 at the end of #10, I don't think anybody technically died there.

As much as I've hated Uncanny so far I did actually enjoy the mechanics of the Cyclops resurrection. It was... plausible? Which is a weird way to talk about coming back to life but there's a bit more to in that "turns out he wasn't dead after all."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was hoping they were gonna have Wolverine alive in there. I guess he doesn’t need more trauma exactly in his back story but I dunno I always heavily favored the “one cell and Wolverine regenerates” extreme of his power and just imagined he was regenerating and dying again in that statue over and over.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rick posted:

I was hoping they were gonna have Wolverine alive in there. I guess he doesn’t need more trauma exactly in his back story but I dunno I always heavily favored the “one cell and Wolverine regenerates” extreme of his power and just imagined he was regenerating and dying again in that statue over and over.

Hadn't he lost his healing factor during that whole ordeal so they could pretend he was "really totally dead for real!" in all the PR?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

galagazombie posted:

Hadn't he lost his healing factor during that whole ordeal so they could pretend he was "really totally dead for real!" in all the PR?

Oooh yeah.

It's funny how I can remember everything that happened in comics that I read or from like 20 years before I was born but can't remember things in comics I read six months ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he had no healing factor and his corpse was sealed away from tampering. if not for the adamantium either someone would have snatched the body and resurrected him or else he would have randomly revived on his own, because healing factors are silly. in the end the adamantium was an afterthought that was cut open somehow, with incredibly obvious results.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can accept that whatever Persephone's power was, it jump started his healing factor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol that they had multiple death of wolverine series dedicated to making sure that his corpse and other assorted remains are secured and accounted for and they just forget it all. 'oh it just happened'

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Personally I'm just glad that by the end of the Return series Soule himself seemed to be starting the process of ignoring the whole hot claws nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HOT CLAWS! GETCHER HOT CLAWS HERE!