Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

When I watched CCA for the first time I was a dub boi coming off of Gundam wing and Evangelion, and Quess' VA was irritating enough for me to really get comfortable watching it and other things subbed.

Quess is a trashcan person though, so I think the voice fits. I only wish the Alpha Azieru had taken Hathaway with it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Quess is a trashcan person though, so I think the voice fits. I only wish the Alpha Azieru had taken Hathaway with it. :colbert:

See, until he killed Chan, I didn't hate Hathaway. He was a dumbass kid, but it felt like something he could grow out of.

But then he went and did that, and, well... Bright, you've got two kids. That means you can kill Hathaway and still have the spare grow up right.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

See, until he killed Chan, I didn't hate Hathaway. He was a dumbass kid, but it felt like something he could grow out of.

But then he went and did that, and, well... Bright, you've got two kids. That means you can kill Hathaway and still have the spare grow up right.

I have always thought that while Hathaway did a horrible thing, it's extremely understandable why he did it.

From Hathaway's perspective, Chan interrupted his attempt to convince Quess to stand down, got Quess riled up again, and then Quess died horribly because Chan fired a missile at her while they were still talking. From his perspective Chan is just a murderer who just killed his crush and is emblematic of all the hosed up adults who are currently engaged in a space battle to destroy the planet. His anger is not really any different than Kamille being angry at Jerid for killing Four despite Jerid having no intention of doing that. It's just that we, the audience, know that Chan was legit trying to protect him, and most people don't like Quess so they sympathize less with trying to save her.

There's even some pretty strong evidence that if Hathaway had been given more time to talk to Quess he might have succeeded, given that she refused to fire on him and literally dove in front of a missile and died protecting him from the missile's blast radius while yelling "Get back, Hathaway!"

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 21, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hathaway doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because god dammit children should not, by the time of chars counterattack, be anywhere near the mobile suit hangar.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Hathaway doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because god dammit children should not, by the time of chars counterattack, be anywhere near the mobile suit hangar.

To be fair, that really worked out last time Bright tried it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There has to be some ship grunt who's been with Bright through every big event, who by the time of CCA is just a screaming mess.

"They can't keep getting away with this!!!!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

Hathaway signed the last will and testament that everyone else did before the battle started. :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RillAkBea posted:

They actually already made it into a manga, Anaheim Record.

And a shoujo-ai visual novel that jackknifes into an angsty sidestory to stardust memories.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I hope you recognized Campbell Lane in Gundam Wing.

The new dubs for Gundam have been really good, but part of me misses the Ocean/Blue Water dubs. Having Scott McNeil scream in your show is never a bad thing.

By far my favorite thing about the dub in 00 was Scott McNeil as Ali Al Saachez, he was clearly having the time of his life playing a massive piece of poo poo.
EDIT: Went to NT with my buddy, we both liked it. He overall decided he really likes UC Gundam until I told him that they dropped a colony on Dublin.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 21, 2019

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

TARDISman posted:

By far my favorite thing about the dub in 00 was Scott McNeil as Ali Al Saachez, he was clearly having the time of his life playing a massive piece of poo poo.

He voiced Gym Ghingham in the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games and I loved playing as him in 3.

"Today I am feeling good WITH A CAPITAL G!" :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

EDIT: Went to NT with my buddy, we both liked it. He overall decided he really likes UC Gundam until I told him that they dropped a colony on Dublin.

Ali Al Saachez was such a great villain for the first season. Pity about the second where he just gets reduced to Generic Villain/Protagonist #2.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

has scott mcneil done any VA work in anything cool more recently

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing interesting I can find but apparently in non-VA work he was in Riverdale which sure is something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehjskt6m5t8&t=17s

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Ali is one of the few people I love dubbed and subbed. They are both so good and chew the scenery too well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

has scott mcneil done any VA work in anything cool more recently

Not that I've seen recently. I'm upset that Relic didn't use the Vancouver voice actors for Dawn of War 3 because hearing a load of DBZ and Gundam VAs screaming for the emprah in the first two games was a treat. But Dawn of War 3 also sucked and killed the franchise and probably Relic as well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Have there really been bad dubs of Gundam though? Except for the dubs of the 0079 movie trilogy holy poo poo. Gundam "came of age" in the United States just as anime was hitting the mainstream, so I can't really remember anything that had obnoxiously bad English dubbing. This might all be nostalgia though.

The zeta gundam dub is dogshit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Zeta Gundam dub is definitely weaker because blue water is Ocean's budget studio, but it isn't awful. He's not Michael Kopsa, but the Quattro VA is still pretty good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Monaghan posted:

The zeta gundam dub is dogshit

It's fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The audio quality is still pretty bad but that's what happens when your recording "studio" is a bathroom covered in egg cartons.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I watched through the entire Zeta dub and it was fine

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

I have always thought that while Hathaway did a horrible thing, it's extremely understandable why he did it.

I'm not even sure he meant to do it honestly. In Beltorchika's Children he kills Quess by accident, when he tries to deliberately aim wide of her and shoot nearby so as to scare her so I think it's entirely possible Hathaway in Char's Counterattack was just shooting kind of wildly in her direction to vent his frustration but never meant to do more than scare her and instead ends up killing her. His reaction even seems kind of in line with this interpretation to me, since once her suit explodes and it cuts to him he looks surprised, with his eyes going wide. If he'd meant it, he'd probably have a more satisfied expression.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm not even sure he meant to do it honestly. In Beltorchika's Children he kills Quess by accident, when he tries to deliberately aim wide of her and shoot nearby so as to scare her so I think it's entirely possible Hathaway in Char's Counterattack was just shooting kind of wildly in her direction to vent his frustration but never meant to do more than scare her and instead ends up killing her. His reaction even seems kind of in line with this interpretation to me, since once her suit explodes and it cuts to him he looks surprised, with his eyes going wide. If he'd meant it, he'd probably have a more satisfied expression.

Ah yes, not murder. Manslaughter.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Warmachine posted:

He might as well have been a volunteer for the military during that time too, so I don't even know if that would fly like a civilian either

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hathway is a tragic character, and so of course he is a gently caress-up.

Like, him and Quess are there for the express purpose of showing that the next generation is gonna get hosed up just like Amuro and Char got hosed up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

At least as far as child soldiers goes, the UC gets progressively better between 0079 and 0100. It takes a bit of a dip in ZZ, but Zeta is mostly adults doing the fighting, and CCA is pretty much all veterans of the previous wars save Hathaway and Quess. Contrast 0079 where the majority of the White Base crew should still be in high school, and its explicitly stated that both sides are using child soldiers because most of the adults have already been killed off.

I'd hope this leads to less Amuro/Char style fuckups, at least as far as child soldiers go. The setting still has the Forever War problem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hathway is a tragic character, and so of course he is a gently caress-up.

Like, him and Quess are there for the express purpose of showing that the next generation is gonna get hosed up just like Amuro and Char got hosed up.

The thing is, Amuro's not that hosed up by CCA. He's got some PTSD, but he's coping, he wants to kill Char on sight, but Char's planning to drop colonies, Chan says he's sometimes distant and cold, but she makes a note that it's unusual, and that Amuro's normally a caring person.

(Also there's the Lalah thing, but ghosts being assholes is the fault of the ghosts.)

He definitely didn't go unscarred by his experiences, but on the net, growing up to be Amuro Ray isn't too bad an outcome. (Unlike growing up to be Char.)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Warmachine posted:

I'd hope this leads to less Amuro/Char style fuckups, at least as far as child soldiers go. The setting still has the Forever War problem.

Then you have "people" like Katejina Loos, with latent, underlying psychotic tendencies and to who war is an opportunity to bloom and thrive with other people's misery.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Sure. I get the feeling you're trying to sarcastic, but I can't fathom what you'd be trying to achieve by doing so. I wasn't trying to say he was legally innocent or anything, just that the major thing most people loathe him for might not have even been an entirely deliberate act on his part. That doesn't make him blameless, but it does make his actions understandable as a teenage show of passion. At least to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing is, Amuro's not that hosed up by CCA. He's got some PTSD, but he's coping, he wants to kill Char on sight, but Char's planning to drop colonies, Chan says he's sometimes distant and cold, but she makes a note that it's unusual, and that Amuro's normally a caring person.

(Also there's the Lalah thing, but ghosts being assholes is the fault of the ghosts.)

He definitely didn't go unscarred by his experiences, but on the net, growing up to be Amuro Ray isn't too bad an outcome. (Unlike growing up to be Char.)

The thing is that for Amuro that is a bad outcome. The mere fact he's still fighting is a pretty good sign of that. At his heart Amuro's a dork who likes building things but his experiences during and after the OYW basically forced him into the role of the ace pilot. It's certainly not as bad to the viewer but Char and Amuro are different people. Char was never going to have a normal life but Amuro's frustration largely stems from him wanting one. You even see this Char and Amuro's different responses to someone like Quess. Amuro always regets that these kids can't just be normal people while even at his most altruistic Char puts views of being dramatic world-changing people onto them

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that for Amuro that is a bad outcome.

According to who? That's just your interpretation of what you think he wanted as a teen versus his life 13 years later. Almost no-one gets a job doing the thing they liked messing about with as a teen and very rarely is that seen as a sign their life is bad.

ImpAtom posted:

Amuro's frustration largely stems from him wanting one.

What frustration? He's frustrated in Zeta because he's cooped up and later specifically because he wants to fight and is afraid of doing so; at no point does he ever seem frustrated that he can't live a "normal" life. Quotes very much in evidence, because of the implication being a soldier is not normal.

Not to mention that him fighting is an active choice on his behalf in both Zeta and Char's Counterattack. He even talks to Bright about how he's only fighting with Londo Bell because he's sure Char is up to something during Char's Counterattack, with the implication he's going to give it up once Char is dealt with. He doesn't have to fight, but he chose to anyway. Multiple times. That implies some degree of happiness with that decision, whether because he'd be unhappy not doing it or because he enjoys it. Dismissing that as an undesirable outcome is robbing him of any real agency in his own life.

There's also the fact that a large part of his character in 0079 is his desire to be a better pilot than Char and to beat Char. That implies he likes piloting to some degree, even if he might not enjoy everything about it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

He even talks to Bright about how he's only fighting with Londo Bell because he's sure Char is up to something during Char's Counterattack, with the implication he's going to give it up once Char is dealt with.He doesn't have to fight, but he chose to anyway. Multiple times. That implies some degree of happiness with that decision, whether because he'd be unhappy not doing it or because he enjoys it. Dismissing that as an undesirable outcome is robbing him of any real agency in his own life.

Him being "happy" with the decision to go out and stop people from being killed is very different to being happy in general/enjoying a thing. If you can't see why a character would consider going out to fight as a soldier to stop someone they know as being capable of great things from loving up the Earth because he keeps dropping rocks on it as undesirable then I don't what to tell you.

The fact that he says he's going to give it up once Char is dealt with and only doing it because Char is up to something implies that he doesn't want to do it, more that he feels he must do it, whether he likes it or not. Which he doesn't. Amuro not liking being a soldier is not a wacky, off the wall read of the character. He likes piloting a mech, but if Amuro never had to fight in one again he would be happy.

Like, your statement that he wants to stop fighting as soon as Char is dealt with meaning that he is happy fighting just doesn't follow at all. And just because you make a decision doesn't mean you're happy with it, you can feel it was necessary and not like it.

Hathaway going wide-eyed after shooting Chan can be him regretting his actions, either shooting her on purpose in a fit of rage, or shooting wildly in a fit of rage, he regrets the fit of rage.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 22, 2019

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So what happens in NT

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ManSedan posted:

So what happens in NT

A newtype ghost takes control of the Phenex and just kinda flies around for awhile. A couple people who were close with the Newtype when she was alive join the hunt for the Phenex in order to reconnect with her and also get the secret to living after death as a Newtype ghost in a Gundam. In the end a bad guy tries to use a second Neo Zeong to do a super duper colony drop, the Newtype ghost and her two alive friends join up to stop him, and everybody decides that this Newtype poo poo is too dangerous, so they're just not gonna do it anymore

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to know how they just stop doing the whole newtype thing. i don't really understand how that works, do they make newtypes stop being a thing that gets born?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ManSedan posted:

So what happens in NT

They go looking for the Phenex and everyone has a groovy time, except for all the people who died, anybody who cared about them, all the people who survived the 2nd Neo Zeong attack but will forever be haunted by the site of large white psychopathic objects, all the stockholders in the Luio, the poor federation desk jockeys who had to write up the incident, and that one Sleeves sympathizer who lost his job.

ninjewtsu posted:

i want to know how they just stop doing the whole newtype thing. i don't really understand how that works, do they make newtypes stop being a thing that gets born?
I got the impression they planned to send the Minerva All-Stars black-ops team on a mission to destroy every last trace of psychoframe technology, which at least takes away newtype superweapons.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't NT supposed to be a trilogy of movies?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's Hathaway's Flash

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

Him being "happy" with the decision to go out and stop people from being killed is very different to being happy in general/enjoying a thing.

He is happy in general in Char's Counterattack though. The fact Chan talks about how he's normally a nice, caring person but occasionally goes cold reinforces that even if you want to ignore that he has a good few friendly interactions with Bright, Hathaway, Chan, August, Kayra, etc. and no notable personal drama or confrontational interactions with anyone but enemies. This includes Quess, someone he has only just met and has no reason to put on a nice face for if he isn't happy in general. We also find out that the reason he goes cold occasionally is because Lalah literally haunts his dreams to try and bring some peace between him and Char and not because he's unhappy with the direction of his life

EthanSteele posted:

If you can't see why a character would consider going out to fight as a soldier to stop someone they know as being capable of great things from loving up the Earth because he keeps dropping rocks on it as undesirable then I don't what to tell you.

Amuro is miserable when he's unable to help fight in such circumstances, which we witness in Zeta when he's practically in tears of frustration and unable to understand why he can't bring himself to fight alongside Kamille. Going out and fighting to help prevent something awful can bring satisfaction at doing all you could to help in a situation even if you don't personally enjoy it. Happiness is not an on/off switch, and can be felt in a myriad of ways. Including ways that seem superficially bad, like fighting for a cause you'd prefer didn't have to exist.

EthanSteele posted:

Like, your statement that he wants to stop fighting as soon as Char is dealt with meaning that he is happy fighting just doesn't follow at all.

Good thing I never made that argument then. I said it implied he was happy with the decisions he made; not that was happy fighting.

EthanSteele posted:

And just because you make a decision doesn't mean you're happy with it, you can feel it was necessary and not like it.

You can also not like the decision you had to make and be happy with having made it for yourself and to be acting in a manner that is true to who you feel you are or to be doing something you feel is necessary. Just because you don't like doing it doesn't mean you're going to be miserable. Or you can just be happy in general regardless of the things you feel you have to do.

EthanSteele posted:

Hathaway going wide-eyed after shooting Chan can be him regretting his actions, either shooting her on purpose in a fit of rage, or shooting wildly in a fit of rage, he regrets the fit of rage.

There's no real reason for him to regret the fit of rage beyond the consequence of Chan being dead. Unless you're saying he regrets being emotional itself and not the fact that he just killed someone. In which case, why did he never show regret for any other emotional moments during the entire rest of the movie to establish that he dislikes emotional outbursts in general?

Azubah posted:

Isn't NT supposed to be a trilogy of movies?

Nah, that's Hathaway's Flash as ACES CURES PLANES pointed out, but NT is almost certainly just a bridging chapter between Unicorn and Unicorn 2.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the unicorn author doing a full blown sequel? I knew NT was just Unicorn 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

There's no real reason for him to regret the fit of rage beyond the consequence of Chan being dead. Unless you're saying he regrets being emotional itself and not the fact that he just killed someone. In which case, why did he never show regret for any other emotional moments during the entire rest of the movie to establish that he dislikes emotional outbursts in general?

What? He doesn't need another reason to regret the fit of rage beyond the consequence of her being dead. He can regret the outburst because it made him kill someone on purpose or he can regret the outburst because it made him kill someone accidentally. I was saying that both the reads of him doing it on purpose or not end up at the same place: a boy filled with regret.

tsob posted:

He even talks to Bright about how he's only fighting with Londo Bell because he's sure Char is up to something during Char's Counterattack, with the implication he's going to give it up once Char is dealt with. He doesn't have to fight, but he chose to anyway. Multiple times. That implies some degree of happiness with that decision, whether because he'd be unhappy not doing it or because he enjoys it.

Read to me as you saying he enjoys fighting, that bit of "because he enjoys it" tripped me up.