Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

3D graphics pioneerism from the early to mid-90s just fascinates me. I love those exotic and gimmicky attempts to render 3D as quick as possible for videogames. Is there more weird (for today's standards at least) examples besides Talisman's tile rendering and Sega Saturn's quads?

Sure but wed need to get inside John Carmacks mind and Im not sure mankind is ready for whats in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

3D graphics pioneerism from the early to mid-90s just fascinates me. I love those exotic and gimmicky attempts to render 3D as quick as possible for videogames. Is there more weird (for today's standards at least) examples besides Talisman's tile rendering and Sega Saturn's quads?
The 1994 DOS game Ecstatica built everything except the pre-rendered backdrops out of gourad-shaded spheres.

The sequel tried to pull the same tricks at a higher resolution, but it didn't come out until a year after Quake, so the novelty had kind of worn off by then.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Negrostrike posted:

There’s PowerVR’s tile rendering cards from back in the day (as seen on the Dreamcast; Sega sure liked the weird ones). Some of the early accelerators like the Rendition Vérité also has some bizarre performance characteristics; like for some reason the 2D core was so horribly slow that vQuake probably ran faster than the original Doom(!). The S3 ViRGE was a notorious dog; I’m not sure it did anything interesting design-wise other than actually being a 3D decelerator (it was such garbage that it was faster in 2D mode).

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018
I just picked up Soldier of Fortune II from GOG and... I've never played any of the SoF games before, but I like it.

It obviously has its flaws, but I'm kinda getting a kick out of walking around and mutilating people in this game. The gore is so excessive that it puts many modern games to shame.

I'm at the train station, and I really hope there aren't any more "stealth" missions, because that sort of thing takes away from what makes this game fun: butchering enemy soldiers! :hist101:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SteelReserve posted:

I just picked up Soldier of Fortune II from GOG and... I've never played any of the SoF games before, but I like it.

It obviously has its flaws, but I'm kinda getting a kick out of walking around and mutilating people in this game. The gore is so excessive that it puts many modern games to shame.

I'm at the train station, and I really hope there aren't any more "stealth" missions, because that sort of thing takes away from what makes this game fun: butchering enemy soldiers! :hist101:

Bad news, there's at least one more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

There’s PowerVR’s tile rendering cards from back in the day (as seen on the Dreamcast; Sega sure liked the weird ones).

PowerVR never really went away, they're more of an IP licensing company now but the underlying technology is used in a lot of embedded/mobile 3D chipsets. There's a good chance your smartphone is running a PowerVR derivative.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

haveblue posted:

PowerVR never really went away, they're more of an IP licensing company now but the underlying technology is used in a lot of embedded/mobile 3D chipsets. There's a good chance your smartphone is running a PowerVR derivative.
Oh I know, but the desktop cards are long gone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

The 1994 DOS game Ecstatica built everything except the pre-rendered backdrops out of gourad-shaded spheres.

The sequel tried to pull the same tricks at a higher resolution, but it didn't come out until a year after Quake, so the novelty had kind of worn off by then.

I'm going to say this; Ecstatica might be one of the most viscerally ugly games I've ever seen in motion and the fact that it was heralded for its graphics is just a testament to how poo poo 3D was until Quake.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Barudak posted:

I'm going to say this; Ecstatica might be one of the most viscerally ugly games I've ever seen in motion and the fact that it was heralded for its graphics is just a testament to how poo poo 3D was until Quake.
lol I don’t have the time to watch this now but the werewolf(?) absolutely hammering the protagonist with full wind-up haymakers is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

david_a posted:

lol I don’t have the time to watch this now but the werewolf(?) absolutely hammering the protagonist with full wind-up haymakers is hilarious

Wait until near the end when the main character rides the nigh-uncontrollable aggressively backfiring broomstick.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Yeah that Werewolf really loving hates the player character for some reason. Imagine Nemesis from RE3, except he's showing up without any real rhyme or reason and enjoying using you as an actual punching bag.

Barudak posted:

Sure but wed need to get inside John Carmacks mind and Im not sure mankind is ready for whats in there.

Oh my god it's full of raycasts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"3D"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mujEonrOs

And somebody was talking about FPS HUDs a while back. Have an identity card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OsH4ZuAlI

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also I just remembered, the ellipsoid tech they were using for Ecstatica 1 and 2 was also going to be used in a violent as hell action/adventure/shooter called Urban Decay, complete with location-based damage and buckets of elliptical blood splattering all over the place. Unfortunately it never saw the light of day, and all we have as far as I know is Whatever Unseen 64 found

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I'm importing MIDI files into a WAD, they just need to be .mid files, correct?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Zero Tolerance is so much better than anyone would expect out of an FPS on the Genesis. Even has stuff like dynamic blood splatters on walls if you kill an enemy close enough to one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vargatron posted:

When I'm importing MIDI files into a WAD, they just need to be .mid files, correct?
You can just use MIDI files, yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angry_Ed posted:

Zero Tolerance is so much better than anyone would expect out of an FPS on the Genesis. Even has stuff like dynamic blood splatters on walls if you kill an enemy close enough to one.

I did play the poo poo out of Zero Tolerance back in the day, and wished that my friend and I had both owned the game, and had that cable, so we could play together. This was before I had Doom and/or Duke. ZT is a perfect example of a game that was really great back in the day, all things considered, and now is extremely rough to play through.

I've wondering about what a remake would be like, but at the same time, that would be pointless, because it's main claim to fame was 'Look! A full FPS on the Genesis/MD! You thought we couldn't do it!'

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I did play the poo poo out of Zero Tolerance back in the day, and wished that my friend and I had both owned the game, and had that cable, so we could play together. This was before I had Doom and/or Duke. ZT is a perfect example of a game that was really great back in the day, all things considered, and now is extremely rough to play through.

I've wondering about what a remake would be like, but at the same time, that would be pointless, because it's main claim to fame was 'Look! A full FPS on the Genesis/MD! You thought we couldn't do it!'

What's kind of awesome about ZT is the developer actually has the schematic for that cable on his site: http://www.technopop.net

It's a pretty basic wiring job too, so there's no time like the present!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dewgy posted:

What's kind of awesome about ZT is the developer actually has the schematic for that cable on his site: http://www.technopop.net

It's a pretty basic wiring job too, so there's no time like the present!

I have to be honest; I will never bother to do this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vargatron posted:

Be warned that if you're trying for vanilla compatiblity, you may have issues.

Doom version 1.5 and older may only have MUS files - these are MIDI files restricted to 8 instruments plus 1 drums channel and 64 kilobytes of space used. Editors seeking to save to this will chop off instruments and chop off the end of larger files to fit these restrictions.

Later vanilla Doom versions support all MIDIs with full instrument channels, but still enforce a 64 kilobyte file size, they'll stop reading the MIDI once it's at the 64 KB mark.

BOOM and later wad formats can use any midi files of any filesize without restriction.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fishmech posted:

Be warned that if you're trying for vanilla compatiblity, you may have issues.

Doom version 1.5 and older may only have MUS files - these are MIDI files restricted to 8 instruments plus 1 drums channel and 64 kilobytes of space used. Editors seeking to save to this will chop off instruments and chop off the end of larger files to fit these restrictions.

Later vanilla Doom versions support all MIDIs with full instrument channels, but still enforce a 64 kilobyte file size, they'll stop reading the MIDI once it's at the 64 KB mark.

BOOM and later wad formats can use any midi files of any filesize without restriction.

Thanks for this clarification. I should be well within those channel and instrument limits. I normally make tracks with like 5 instruments at most which don't last longer than about 2 minutes before they loop.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have to be honest; I will never bother to do this.

I did, it's pretty cool. Interestingly it worked even with each console running at a different refresh rate (i only had a working genesis and mega drive).

Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy is my favourite Genesis fps though, has a neat atmosphere and the screen size and split screen multiplayer is really impressive.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ICARUSLIV3S made a new video about a fantasy TC doom mod, it looks pretty fine. It's called Abysm: Dawn Of Innocence, anyone have played it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuqhLU3XY0

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

ICARUSLIV3S made a new video about a fantasy TC doom mod, it looks pretty fine. It's called Abysm: Dawn Of Innocence, anyone have played it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuqhLU3XY0

This looks cool, I'm going to check it out later this weekend.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Turin Turambar posted:

I downloaded it last night and it's pretty drat fun so far. The world design is very enjoyable, there is plenty to explore and the quests help push you in the right direction. It definitely gives me the "souls" vibe in that I sprint past all of the overworld enemies since they drain more resources then what they replenish. I've got to agree with Icarus on my one major complaint: there is an odd lack of music in some areas and it really stands out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

In motion Ecstatica has very good animation because it understood the actual fundamentals of animation e.g. squash and stretch and so on. All the little ways your character gets tortured are animated with the same care a 2D cinematic game like Prince of Persia and it would take years for 3D games to apply the same sensibilities.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Ohh the enemies were people!?
Can't really see it in this video but playing on that tiny view port and then mushing it through a little crt tv made almost everything impossible to identify, I thought they were aliens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've been getting into amid evil and this is really hitting a lot of the similar notes to me that dusk did in terms of being a competently-executed, retro-style fps. it starts to pick up once you get more than a couple weapons in your arsenal, such as the electric trident you focus on enemies until they explode into arcs of lightning.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think literally the only thing in Amid Evil I HAVEN'T liked was the boss at the end of the latest episode. I think that thing sucked. Other than that, great!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

I did, it's pretty cool. Interestingly it worked even with each console running at a different refresh rate (i only had a working genesis and mega drive).

Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy is my favourite Genesis fps though, has a neat atmosphere and the screen size and split screen multiplayer is really impressive.

Just found this video, seems kind of neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQY1BfyEAA

EDIT: Oh, wow....

So for anyone who wants to play a better version of this game, welp.... there's a Doom Mod. Because of course there is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczoevB8HNc

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glagha posted:

I think literally the only thing in Amid Evil I HAVEN'T liked was the boss at the end of the latest episode. I think that thing sucked. Other than that, great!

i just got the star of torment and i think i'm in love

also i think i'm kind of bad at finding secrets/messages in this game. i'm assuming there's no 'use' function so most of what i need to do is either hit weird geometry or find secret nooks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My only wish is that all of Amid Evil's weapons felt as good to use as the Star of Torment. Which is probably an impossible task.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a beta ROM for a Zero Tolerance sequel out there somewhere.

The best Megadrive FPS is undoubtedly the homebrew Wolfenstein port but of the games that were genuinely released back in the day, the one first-person level in Toy Story is really impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMMK3QLxSM

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing that i always enjoy in a game is when every weapon has a use and so far everything i've come across in amid evil fits the bill. nothing completely overwrites something else and there's situations i would want to use something over another thing. same as in dusk, which is part of why i enjoyed that so much.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a beta ROM for a Zero Tolerance sequel out there somewhere.
The Technopop site linked earlier contains the ROMs for both Zero Tolerance and the unfinished sequel (Beyond Zero Tolerance) for download with the rights-holder's permission.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never understood how or why they made the sequel uglier, but goddamn, did they ever :stare:

Unless it was THAT unfinished?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Unless it was THAT unfinished?
It was probably THAT unfinished when it was binned.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

So for anyone who wants to play a better version of this game, welp.... there's a Doom Mod. Because of course there is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczoevB8HNc

How the gently caress am I supposed to know which charecter I'm playing as?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In System Shock: Enhanced Edition, what the the Popup Cursor option do? The default controls seem fine to me but I won't be able to sleep until I figure this out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In System Shock: Enhanced Edition, what the the Popup Cursor option do? The default controls seem fine to me but I won't be able to sleep until I figure this out!

Are you talking about pressing E to disable mouse-look?