Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1098700066150334465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OH MY GOD. :kimchi:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this is a very good happy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Love that dog.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/Thomasurlatoile/status/1098427879988310016

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Discendo Vox posted:

I was surprised to see this doesn't appear to have gotten a mention. To be clear, despite being a Trump appointee, Gottlieb has been the most effective commissioner in decades and has been following through on all of his initiative announcements so far.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll bite. What the heck is Nextdoor?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

craigslist for your local neighborhood plus ads

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Wanted By Weed posted:

I'll bite. What the heck is Nextdoor?

You know how the old ladies with nothing better to do would sit around and gossip about the neighborhood? That, but on the internet.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah it's neighborhood-locked social media

mine's really tame and mostly an adjunct of the neighborhood association (not an HOA- it's not the wealthiest part of town- mostly fundraising for bus benches and speed humps and the like)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Peanut Butler posted:

(mostly … for … speed humps )

Tinder works better

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spoeank posted:

You know how the old ladies with nothing better to do would sit around and gossip about the neighborhood? That, but on the internet.

In my case, Next door is "I just spotted a black person, has anyone already called the cops?" about three times a week and "whose dog is this, it's in my yard" about once a month.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Tinder works better

maybe in the big ol city but round these parts ya gotta use nextdoor to find out who's bored at home while their spouse works all day at the tetanus factory

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In my case, Next door is "I just spotted a black person, has anyone already called the cops?" about three times a week and "whose dog is this, it's in my yard" about once a month.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

posting kapital excerpts onto nextdoor is the ultimate praxis

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

some guy was whining on nextdoor about getting high because he had to bike next to a house where people were getting high, then a bunch of very smug people dug in on both sides of that unreal argument

i went ahead and got some good news for you too. one is a dry bit about north carolina's courts making a really cool ruling, though i bet it doesn't stand because of the world we live in (but maybe state's rights keeps it around? (but idk what im talking about so gently caress it)), that flatly denies republicans the illusion of sovereignty. the other is republicans, supported passively by the mormon church, coming out unequivocally against conversion therapy

so here's some words from daily kos elections, which i dove into just to give you people good news, you're loving welcome, about the court decision:

quote:

In an astonishing ruling released late on Friday afternoon, a North Carolina state court struck down two constitutional amendments passed by voters last fall, saying that because the Republican-run legislature had been elected under an unconstitutional racial gerrymander, it had "lost its claim to popular sovereignty" and therefore was not empowered to place those amendments on the ballot.​

Those amendments concerned very different topics: One established a new voter ID requirement while another lowered the cap on the state's maximum allowed income tax rate. Both, noted the court, harm black and Latino voters (the case was brought by the NAACP), with the latter doing so because it "tends to favor white households" and would "reinforc[e] the accumulation of wealth for white taxpayers." Voters approved both measures by double-digit margins last fall.

the judiciary is a battlefield like any other so i'm happy to see that partisan democratic judges are using their constitutional right to tell voters to go gently caress themselves against openly racist republicans. furthermore, the legal argument being 'you used gerrymandering in a way the state constitution forbids, a racist way, so you don't get to govern' is cool to me, as is the implication that merely lowering a cap on income tax is a racist act with tangible effects on minority communities. well, it's fact, but it's cool to see that fact being used by judges instead of ignored

if we get to slide gleefully down this slippery slope all the way to judicial enforcement of wealth redistribution through the income tax that would be cool. i don't think we're going that direction any time soon, but i hope it's a sign of things to come from democratic elected/appointed judges

and i'm gonna give an extended quote of gop lawmakers talking like people about conversion therapy. i hope this has the behind-the-scenes support the article implies

quote:

SALT LAKE CITY — Two Republican lawmakers proposed a ban on gay conversion therapy for minors in conservative Utah on Thursday, a plan that's been hailed as a milestone by advocates and won't be opposed by the influential Mormon church.

Republican Rep. Dan McCay acknowledged he isn't a typical sponsor for such a measure, but he said it's an important way to support LGBT youth amid an alarming spike in youth suicide.

"This is the Utah we want. This the Utah we're all going to fight for, for the rest of our time so we deliver a place to you that you are welcome," he said.

The plan would prohibit any treatment aimed at changing sexual orientation or gender identity, which has ranged from talk therapy to practices like electric shock. Therapists who practice it could lose their license.

"Conversion therapy has been proven to be not effective, and is particularly harmful to youth," said Republican chief sponsor Rep. Craig Hall.

edit: since i've got this loving DKE tab open still i might as well add; a few more electoral votes got thrown into the pile on that law that would effectively end the electoral college (if judges allowed it, but we're still a long way from finding out):

quote:

Democrats have now passed a bill out of both legislative chambers to add Colorado's nine Electoral College votes to the National Popular Vote Compact following a state House vote on Thursday. The bill now goes to Democratic Gov. Jared Polis, who has promised to sign it into law. Once he does so, the compact will increase from 172 to 181 of the 270 electoral votes needed for it to activate.

democrats controlling maine are trying to put their 4 EVs in the pile too. new mexico is apparently also a chance, with 5

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Feb 24, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for putting together all that! Good job

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had some boomer fly into my DMs just absolutely furious because I told him that making vigilante security gangs to stop youths from stealing liquor from the grocery store was a stupid and illegal idea. That's like, peak Nextdoor.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so here's some purely happy stuff. last week, the mayor of saint paul (my mayor!!) made a proclamation

https://twitter.com/MayorCarter_/status/1098371131546001408
(please note the lady with pink hair is a city council member and an honorary goon. she is a comic book nerd and got inspired to run for office partially because a recent Ms. Marvel reboot made the character an immigrant with a story like her life. her campaign logo has a thunderbolt because of this)

anyway, today the throwdown happened and it looks like it was lots of fun! they apparently had people "judging" the snowball fight, which is :confused: to me but one of the judges was our lieutenant governor, so i guess that's pretty official? here's a good twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/stribrooks/status/1099743223260610561

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I always knew that intense sibling rivalry had to be festering beneath the "Twin Cities" moniker.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

I always knew that intense sibling rivalry had to be festering beneath the "Twin Cities" moniker.

In 1929 there was a baseball brawl between the Minneapolis Millers and the St. Paul Saints that didn't just clear the bleachers, it cleared the entire stadium. Drunken baseball fans from both teams rioted and beat the tar out of each other.

It's why the old Minnesota Twins logo shows members of the old teams shaking hands across the river.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oystertoadfish posted:

so here's some words from daily kos elections, which i dove into just to give you people good news, you're loving welcome, about the court decision:

Thank you friend

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The funniest next door thing was when a bunch of racists saw some latino 14 year olds walking home from school and being hooligans (looking in car windows, fiddling with doors, and stuff) and decided that they were actually adults who were looking for houses to rob and the backpacks were actually empty and for holding the booty. One of them got a picture of the Cool Teens flipping them off.

It turned out that one of their fathers was a big time nextdoor busybody and it led to a knock down drag out scorched earth flame war between rival busybody camps.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zeroisanumber posted:

In 1929 there was a baseball brawl between the Minneapolis Millers and the St. Paul Saints that didn't just clear the bleachers, it cleared the entire stadium. Drunken baseball fans from both teams rioted and beat the tar out of each other.

there was also a few decades where the State Fair was held in different cities (it's held in the same place every year now). during these years for a time it was held in Saint Paul, and a bunch of rich Minneapolis business leaders were so mad about it they built their own massive exhibition hall and held their own fair, and of course talked poo poo endlessly about how the supposedly "official" fair was hot garbage run by those uncultured wannabe upstarts across the river

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there was also a few decades where the State Fair was held in different cities (it's held in the same place every year now). during these years for a time it was held in Saint Paul, and a bunch of rich Minneapolis business leaders were so mad about it they built their own massive exhibition hall and held their own fair, and of course talked poo poo endlessly about how the supposedly "official" fair was hot garbage run by those uncultured wannabe upstarts across the river

Jesus Christ, it sounds like Minneapolis/St. Paul are the inspiration for Pawnee and Eagleton.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Shaffness posted:

Jesus Christ, it sounds like Minneapolis/St. Paul are the inspiration for Pawnee and Eagleton.

Midwest is gonna midwest. I grew up in a town of about 30k people in Ohio, and the perceived notion that "those guys over in [insert next town over are" statements was everywhere. Once I moved 500 miles away, I realized that the entire area is basically all the same people, they just find reasons to hate on another group because of an imaginary line drawn.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKIyCbppfs

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Nocheez posted:

Midwest is gonna midwest. I grew up in a town of about 30k people in Ohio, and the perceived notion that "those guys over in [insert next town over are" statements was everywhere. Once I moved 500 miles away, I realized that the entire area is basically all the same people, they just find reasons to hate on another group because of an imaginary line drawn.

I think it's funny they can't figure out they only treat each other as people, behave the exact same to outsiders as all the other towns, and city folk don't give a poo poo about how successful they are.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

knew that was coming.

One of the funniest comedy segments I've ever seen.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Something happened to slightly increase the chance of avoiding Brexit

hobbesmaster posted:

The EU has consistently said that they'd extend the deadline if there was a change in government or something along those lines so presumably this would count.

Also a rumor about Tesla

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also a rumor about Tesla

"now under new management" banners are gonna rock

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dunno a better thread to post this in

https://twitter.com/LADYBUNNY77

best follow of the decade possibly worlds hugest comrade drag queen

https://twitter.com/LADYBUNNY77/status/1099793617856516096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG5J4s0D_s

paul_soccer10 has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Feb 25, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Our newest flank in the battle against capitalism is....

*shakes 8-ball*

Drag queens.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you seroisuly better believe it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Given the "decorum" obsession of the MSM, drag queens seem to be a good counterstrike

If we can get David Brooks to debate one of them we'll be off to the races

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Our newest flank in the battle against capitalism is....

*shakes 8-ball*

Drag queens.

It worked at Stonewall, it can work again.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Down 5% in afterhours trading

Genderfluent posted:

Tesla 2019
CFO leaves
General Counsel leaves after 1 month, right before CEO is hit with contempt of SEC settlement that threatened to remove him from board and as CEO
1 Billion dollar bond payment due at the end of the week

This could be one for the record books

Fat Musk is the top photo right now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Elon Musk's downfall will be that he is, at his core, a dumb poo poo poster.

And hell, I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Elon Musk's downfall will be that he is, at his core, a dumb poo poo poster.

And hell, I'm here for it.

I'm rooting for the collapse of Musk/Tesla to be the linchpin that destroys SV in general. Hopefully every billion dollar 'toaster, but it connects to the internet and has an app' company gets pulled down with him.