Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I am pretty sure I figured out what's going on in Umbrella Academy that Vanya is the reason the world ends, Harold is intentionally goading her into it because his life sucked and blames the Academy and when he found Hargraves notebook he found out how he could do it. So technically Reggie is the reason the world ends, because Klaus would have never stolen the box and thrown out the contents for Harold to find.

Though I could be wrong, that's what all the clues have been pointing to and its sorta cliche at this point. Though I hope they'll throw a swerve at us at the end.

Those of you who've read the comics, how close is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

Raise your hand if you're shocked that Em is a Punisher fan

Why does this matter?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why does anything

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

Riverdale is hosed up enough I can totally seeing them bringing the Punisher aboard.

Archie versus Punisher is an actual comic that was published in the 90s.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

Raise your hand if you're shocked that Em is a Punisher fan

He’s a huge comic fan. He has every major Marvel #1 framed on a wall with more care than how he displays his grammy’s and Oscar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

He’s a huge comic fan. He has every major Marvel #1 framed on a wall with more care than how he displays his grammy’s and Oscar.

That's cool.

Who are some notable other, for lack of a better term, "real" comic book fan celebs? I know Seth Meyers is a huge comics guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

That's cool.

Who are some notable other, for lack of a better term, "real" comic book fan celebs? I know Seth Meyers is a huge comics guy.

Nic Cage took his stage name from Luke Cage.

Edit: there's a poo poo ton of rappers who are comic fans actually, mostly Eminem's generation and older I think.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 22, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nic Cage also had a copy of Action Comics #1 that got stolen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Samuel L. Jackson, Bill Hader, Rosario Dawson, and I believe Tarantino are all into comics.

President Obama, too.

And most of the Wu-Tang Clan.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Doom Patrol episode 2 tonight, hopefully.

Why 'Donkey Patrol?' Next one is entitled 'Puppet Patrol?' Will we get Muppet versions of Cliff, Larry, and Rita?

They must be doing that riff from the Rat Patrol where the name of every episode ends in 'raid...'

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kevin Smith too, as well as Stephen Colbert.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twistedmentat posted:

Those of you who've read the comics, how close is it?

The answer is sooooooooooort of but not really? There are a lot of the same big ideas, and the basic outline of the characters, but they mix a lot of the first two trades together in a blender and add a lot of their own poo poo. So the main thrust of this season is the first trade, the Apocalypse Suite, but most of the time travel stuff is from the second, Dallas. They are two distinct stories, so the fact you are mixing them in the first place gives you something very different to start with. There's also entirely new characters added that wildly change the motivation of some people, and the ending is of course profoundly different. Hell, some people have different powers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

Yeah I know, I just mean that it wouldn't be out of character for Riverdale to have it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah I know, I just mean that it wouldn't be out of character for Riverdale to have it.
I mean the Black Hood basically was the Punisher.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Binary Badger posted:

Doom Patrol episode 2 tonight, hopefully.

Why 'Donkey Patrol?'

Based off Sepinwall's review, I presume this is the episode with the teleportation-via-donkey's-rear end?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Archie versus Predator was a comic that was published in 2017. And it was way more insane then anything you could imagine.

One of the framed pictures in one issue is of Archie and the Punisher posing together.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mulva posted:

The answer is sooooooooooort of but not really? There are a lot of the same big ideas, and the basic outline of the characters, but they mix a lot of the first two trades together in a blender and add a lot of their own poo poo. So the main thrust of this season is the first trade, the Apocalypse Suite, but most of the time travel stuff is from the second, Dallas. They are two distinct stories, so the fact you are mixing them in the first place gives you something very different to start with. There's also entirely new characters added that wildly change the motivation of some people, and the ending is of course profoundly different. Hell, some people have different powers.

I think my favorite change of all the ones they made is turning Hazel & Cha-Cha from, well, nothing into what is basically Boris & Natasha

poo poo, Hazel is probably my favorite character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mulva posted:

I looked at it when I got my comics today, and I flipped through it, and I saw stuff that was probably just changed because like its easier to just give Luther a gorilla chest than a suit of power armor, and looked like there was more explosion based action sequences.

I'll still grab the first trade when I get a chance.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A snippet from Doom Patrol episode 2..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmJpSrGVI4

Or, 'Journey Inside The Donkey!' literally

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Kevin Smith too, as well as Stephen Colbert.

Colbert was very nearly president in the marvel universe.

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Why does this matter?

It's Mathers*

:goonsay:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I am actually kind of upset at Umbrella Academy because holy poo poo Vanya is really loving dumb. Like okay, maybe no one has thought she was special before, but that doesn't mean she should just listen blindly to this random dude who claims to barely know who she is, but somehow knows exactly what do with to unlock her powers. I know he's manipulating her, but its not exactly subtle how he's doing it, but she just completely gives into him. It's very much "women will do anything for some dick" in some ways. I was enjoying it so much but episode 8 just really pissed me off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I think my favorite change of all the ones they made is turning Hazel & Cha-Cha from, well, nothing into what is basically Boris & Natasha

poo poo, Hazel is probably my favorite character.

Same dude who played Ed Kemper in Mindhunter

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I am actually kind of upset at Umbrella Academy because holy poo poo Vanya is really loving dumb. Like okay, maybe no one has thought she was special before, but that doesn't mean she should just listen blindly to this random dude who claims to barely know who she is, but somehow knows exactly what do with to unlock her powers. I know he's manipulating her, but its not exactly subtle how he's doing it, but she just completely gives into him. It's very much "women will do anything for some dick" in some ways. I was enjoying it so much but episode 8 just really pissed me off.

Wait until you get to episode nine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That spoiled section is probably the weakest change from the comics, as that character doesn't exist in the comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaunab posted:

Wait until you get to episode nine.

Yea. It's pretty bad though. She never ones questions anything.

Mulva posted:

That spoiled section is probably the weakest change from the comics, as that character doesn't exist in the comics.

I had a feeling, because it feels very clunky, and cliche. As i said, as soon as they explained his backstory, I knew exactly what he was doing, because it was something I'd seen many, many times before.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

I thought him being just weird at the beginning was annoying but I changed my opinion completely around the point you are because he is playing a perfect abusive boyfriend. Even if it wasn't the case of Vanya having literal superpowers, he is a man who appeared in her life and took advantage of her lack of self-esteem to position himself as the only one who truly believes in her, isolated her from her family, made her dependable on him and essentially shifted her entire worldview so that he is always in the center of it. The one scene where she is left alone in the cabin is the summation of all this; it is a "See? This is what happens when I'm not around to guide you. This is why you need me, always." It's not a "women will do anything for dick", it's a very true to life portrayal on how badly a relationship can turn out to them.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Binary Badger posted:

A snippet from Doom Patrol episode 2..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmJpSrGVI4

Or, 'Journey Inside The Donkey!' literally

If you ask me the preview for this episode should have just been Robotman chasing the donkey around the ruined town.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

I thought him being just weird at the beginning was annoying but I changed my opinion completely around the point you are because he is playing a perfect abusive boyfriend. Even if it wasn't the case of Vanya having literal superpowers, he is a man who appeared in her life and took advantage of her lack of self-esteem to position himself as the only one who truly believes in her, isolated her from her family, made her dependable on him and essentially shifted her entire worldview so that he is always in the center of it. The one scene where she is left alone in the cabin is the summation of all this; it is a "See? This is what happens when I'm not around to guide you. This is why you need me, always." It's not a "women will do anything for dick", it's a very true to life portrayal on how badly a relationship can turn out to them.

You're right on that, but he still knows exactly what to do, intimate knowledge of her background and life that she didn't even know, so he couldn't have passed it off being in her book. If that part wasn't included it would have worked so well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

You're right on that, but he still knows exactly what to do, intimate knowledge of her background and life that she didn't even know, so he couldn't have passed it off being in her book. If that part wasn't included it would have worked so well.

He also has Hargreeve's book that does contain all that info. And it's not like everything goes well for him, I doubt he was planning on losing an eye.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

He also has Hargreeve's book that does contain all that info. And it's not like everything goes well for him, I doubt he was planning on losing an eye.

Thing is he's talking to her exactly like her Father did, yes I know that would be effective at controlling her, but again, he knew exactly what to do to unlock her powers in a way that could not be attributed to just being lucky or what not. And yea, he loses an eye when his plan to pay rednecks to beat him up to make Vanya use her powers went too far, thought I think the notebook straight up says "she can destroy the world" and Leonard actually wants that, because his life was lovely, he thought he could join the academy when he was a boy to get away from his drunken father, and he blames them for all the bad stuff that's happened in his life. Losing an eye is a who cares situation. Plus the attack on Alison is a bonus because now her family is going to be hostile to her, even though Alison tries to convince them otherwise. I am pretty sure Mom and Pogo probably told them it as well.

I'm on the last episode so I'll see how it goes.

Oh and I'm glad we haven't found out that Reggie is actually 5 grown up. I was sure we were going to see that revealed at some point once we saw the Agencies observatory was on the mansions grounds. though there's still time to reveal that.

EDIT: Finished the season. Normally I get really bummed out at scenes like that, but this ended with hope. Though now I;m going to be humming Bay City Rollers for ever. Guess I'll finish season 3 of Daredevil now? Oh that's why I stopped watching the first time, because the Feds are doing Fisk's bidding, why?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 24, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So there are multiple rumors floating around that after next season the CW is basically going to cancel just about everything Arrowverse related and replace them with different shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could believe Arrow might end next year, and probably better to put Flash out of its misery before it gets worse, but the others? Unless WB wants to do a disney thing and just make all its TV shows for its streaming service.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean maybe the quality of the shows have dipped but the DCTV shared universe experiment has worked out way better than the DCEU so I don't know why they'd stop now

That said I suppose if they're gonna keep trying to make DC Universe a thing, less "free" superheroes are better and help consolidate the brand...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 24, 2019

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

muscles like this! posted:

So there are multiple rumors floating around that after next season the CW is basically going to cancel just about everything Arrowverse related and replace them with different shows.

You just know they'll cancel the Arrowverse and keep Supernatural running forever.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

muscles like this! posted:

Considering they're running Crisis next season, I could totally see them using that as a way to "cancel" all the shows and reset them, we're gonna get a full on television retcon baby!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The fan speculation is they're going to integrate Supergirl and Black Lightning, and then launch a Superman series in place of Supergirl.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The fan speculation is they're going to integrate Supergirl and Black Lightning, and then launch a Superman series in place of Supergirl.

Bizarre, considering they're shelving Superman movies for now in favor of developing Supergirl.

Now could be Blue and Gold's time to shine, and I'm fully expecting Lethal Weapon to get cancelled, so Seann William Scott would be available to play Booster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could totally pull the rug out and launch a Legion show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've stopped watching the CW shows but a Superman show could definitely change that.