Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's pretty amazing how thoroughly this can be debunked but people will keep saying it to justify an impotent hate when the other talking points fail.

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chrono Trigger's plot is great because it never treats itself particularly seriously imo. It's effectively a series of character vignettes for most of the game linked to the overall plot in a fairly general way, up until the magic kingdom I suppose, and I can really dig that

Chrono Cross is a really cool game, but is wayyy more self serious and as a result is just a weird sequel. These have been my hot takes thank you

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSrK7plwg0

And then a fisherman kicks your rear end.

Apparently there's a theory Miguel is Crono somehow.

Getting brutally owned by a fisherman named Miguel in a game that has bosses with names such as Dragon God and Time Devourer is a very vivid and cursed memory of mine from those days

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You could vastly improve the story of 8 just by making it explicit that people constantly misread Squall's emotional cues and overestimate his readiness to shoulder burdens, because he is hot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Chrono Trigger's plot is great because it never treats itself particularly seriously imo. It's effectively a series of character vignettes for most of the game linked to the overall plot in a fairly general way, up until the magic kingdom I suppose, and I can really dig that

Chrono Cross is a really cool game, but is wayyy more self serious and as a result is just a weird sequel. These have been my hot takes thank you

I can agree with this.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

You could vastly improve the story of 8 just by making it explicit that people constantly misread Squall's emotional cues and overestimate his readiness to shoulder burdens, because he is hot.

We can all relate to this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rand Brittain posted:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Whoever designed chapter 13 in FF XV needs to be loaded into a cannon and fired directly into the sun. There better be a decent payoff at the end because holy poo poo this is awful so far.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

B-Mac posted:

Whoever designed chapter 13 in FF XV needs to be loaded into a cannon and fired directly into the sun. There better be a decent payoff at the end because holy poo poo this is awful so far.

Yes it becomes good again, but 13 is a real low point and you should have played through it as Ignis and Gladio.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

B-Mac posted:

IMHO you're currently playing the absolute worst part of the game and it will feel like it takes forever and a day to get through, but push on - once you're through things are pretty decent to the end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Both Xenogears and Chrono Cross got screwed over by FFVIII.

Earning my eternal resentment.

SaGa Frontier......

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FilthyImp posted:

There's absolutely some great ideas there, and they build on Trigger exceedingly well.

But oh god the story just gets up its own rear end somehow in a way approaching Kingdom Hearts level of dumb.

That's what makes it good and interesting!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's what makes it good and interesting!

One of those things is true, I guess

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

corn in the bible posted:

SaGa Frontier......

SaGa Frontier screwed SaGa Frontier

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SaGa Frontier......

Well at leas they cut the cop from the playable characters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

SaGa Frontier screwed SaGa Frontier

It's definitely because of ff8 that they weren't able to implement a full racing game and fps minigame and detective simulator into SaGa Frontier. Definitely and only because of that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I thought it was Spirits Within that rolled through SE like a katamary, sucking up all the money from those games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I redownloaded Chrono Cross on my Vita and I'm gonna play it again.

Weirdly enough it doesn't appear in the Vita PSN store, I ahd to go through my download list.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The weird way PSN handles labeling and displaying PS1 games between stores has always been nonsensical and down to the individual game.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Why can't I play Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story on my PS4, dammit?! :argh:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Speaking of Xenogears and Chrono Cross, if you like music from those games, I highly recommend going here right now. https://www.twitch.tv/lara6683 A old stream of Lara playing 3 hours of Xenogears/Chrono Cross music on piano.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Attitude Indicator posted:

I thought it was Spirits Within that rolled through SE like a katamary, sucking up all the money from those games.
It almost deep-sixed the sale of the company that was ongoing. There was no money taken from the games related to that.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 22, 2019

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

SaGa Frontier was a great game fight me cops.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OneMoreTime posted:

SaGa Frontier was a great game fight me cops.

Only a cop would argue SaGa Frontier wasn't great.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

:hmmyes:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

But what about the cop in SaGa Frontier?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But what about the cop in SaGa Frontier?

reduce his LP to 0 and move on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing SaGa Frontier when it first came out and was insanely confused and died to every enemy I tried to fight and never got anywhere

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried playing SaGa Frontier when it first came out and was insanely confused and died to every enemy I tried to fight and never got anywhere

I think that's just called the SaGa experience.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Try Nahlakh.

E: oh this was the JRPG thread. It's not J.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
SaGa Frontier is really chill and I wish it hadn't been rushed and forced to release incomplete.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Better than a cop is a superhero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxquOGtG8iM

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
It's ok guys, SaGa Frontier 1 is good and SaGa Frontier 2 is even better
Shame about the one after those

Edit: Go play Alliance Alive like, right now, if you even moderately liked SaGa or Suikoden

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kulkasha posted:

It's ok guys, SaGa Frontier 1 is good and SaGa Frontier 2 is even better
Shame about the one after those

Edit: Go play Alliance Alive like, right now, if you even moderately liked SaGa or Suikoden

Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is amazing. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i love unlimited saga so much i did a lets play of it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

i love unlimited saga so much i did a lets play of it

You still need to do the rest of the characters.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm playing final fantasy vi for the first time and it's wild how strong Edgar is early game, I'm one shotting entire encounters with auto crossbow

I assume this tapers off but still

Also please don't deliberately spoil it for me, I know some stuff in a general sense (world of ruin exists, opera scene?????) But no specifics

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm playing final fantasy vi for the first time and it's wild how strong Edgar is early game, I'm one shotting entire encounters with auto crossbow

I assume this tapers off but still

Also please don't deliberately spoil it for me, I know some stuff in a general sense (world of ruin exists, opera scene?????) But no specifics

I still haven't beaten this drat game, ugh, what is wrong with me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

I still haven't beaten this drat game, ugh, what is wrong with me

I hAve never finished a final fantasy game

Somewhere I have a memory card with my first ff9 save that was maybe halfway through disc two? I definitely got to when you play as Beatrix murdering the poo poo out of dudes in the city

I got that game when it first came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was making good progress on ff7 and then my psp poo poo the bed and I lost the SD card that was in it so that was kinda depressing