Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For the most part, they were ok, but there was one scene where a LM is flying over the moon and it looks like a cardboard cutout is being moved across the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really? I remember they weren't exactly Apollo 13 level good but I don't recall seeing anything that bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All I remember about that show is how overwhelmingly white it is and how the female characters have nothing to do except gawk at the tv.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Stare-Out posted:

Really? I remember they weren't exactly Apollo 13 level good but I don't recall seeing anything that bad.

480p hid a lot. :shrug: It did have Tom Hanks and Ron Howard, fresh off of Apollo 13, so they were good for tv, especially at the time.

Speaking of, I'm digging this trend of resurrecting shows and picking things up after the length of the cancellation: this and the Picard show are a perfect example. I'm surprised Joss Whedon didn't use his Marvel cred to cash in a Firefly reboot.

Mu Zeta posted:

All I remember about that show is how overwhelmingly white it is and how the female characters have nothing to do except gawk at the tv.

somethingsomething different era... :yikes:

I would like to see something that deals more with the wive's experience, or even more interesting would be the mistresses NASA kept in Florida...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm surprised Joss Whedon didn't use his Marvel cred to cash in a Firefly reboot.

Whedon: Right, time to cash in my Marvel cred to get that Firefly reboot. All I have to do is not sexually harass somebody for 15 seco-welp.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he just had affairs and poo poo.

If this becomes a thing while I’m asleep pretend I never made this post.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I've done some marvel stuff, so I want my own project."
"Ok"
"Ok, so the main character is this manic pixie dream gir-"
"Pass."

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Nobody wants a reboot of firefly.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Rome also bombed in England so the BBC pulled out of co-production duties. Blame the BBC.

The sad thing was the producers were supposed to be working on a remake of "I, Claudius" with HBO next. Could have used the same sets and quite a few of the same actors. Would have been great, but it's dead now. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ironically I think after Rome got canned, the BBC then said,"Well if you're not using that set for anything..." and filmed an episode of Doctor Who there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elephanthead posted:

Nobody wants more Joss Whedon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I still rewatch Rome like once a year and even in 2019 it still looks incredible in HD

Just like Deadwood - everything about the production of that show was ahead of it's time

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

escape artist posted:

Which is still somehow above Weeds

Walking Dead has reached new levels of terrible. They lost Carl, Rick and Maggie, did a 6 year time skip, and now Judith is a main character and a little Annie Oakley type.

Guess I’ll just bump that to the bottom of the list then!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I never, ever forgave The Walking Dead for being the reason behind the cancellation of Rubicon, this fantastic show about how the US intelligence community actually works and sort of like a cross between "Three Days of the Condor" and something like "Homeland", though I always felt like Homeland was a lot like Rubicon with gratuitous action scenes thrown in to keep the masses happy.

Anyway, Rubicon basically got cancelled because they wanted to spend more money on the Walking Dead which was much more successful and high-budget and launched that same year. I thought that The Walking Dead was shallow, overrated crap which was made to cash in on the craze going on with zombies and post-apocalyptic stuff at the time, and I feel like my overall opinion of the show has essentially been vindicated even if it was fun to watch at the beginning for a while (and I admit it was, in a "bad Stephen King novel" kinda way).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I still rewatch Rome like once a year and even in 2019 it still looks incredible in HD

Just like Deadwood - everything about the production of that show was ahead of it's time

HBO shows look good. Even WW which definitely took a tumble the second season had great costumes and sets. GoT is really good in that regard too.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Rubicon was freaking awesome I rewatch it all the time

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

Still though, imagine if GOT didn't have HBOGO and social media to hype it?

Deadwood and Rome had neither. There wasn't a way to rewatch the episodes, no HBO on demand. You had to wait for DVDs to come out to catch up.

I completely agree that the shows would have lasted longer if they were released a little later. Too bad.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The best part is that I'm pretty sure both shows were shot on film. They should be able to go back and remaster in UHD one day and make them look even better.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bloodbath posted:

Rubicon was freaking awesome I rewatch it all the time

It truly was. It even had great character actor/playwright/director Michael Cristopher as this shadowy (yet obvious) and intimidating (yet disarmingly polite and honest) villain/anti-villain with the FABULOUS name of "Truxton Spangler". God, what a name.

And James Badge Dale was surprisingly ideal in the lead for that show. But the real standout had to be longtime character actor Arliss Howard doing a badass turn as Kale Ingram, a sort of "jack of all trades" within the murky interior of US intelligence contractors.

You know, it's kinda funny - the show itself was all about overarching conspiracies and shadowy stuff that kinda borders on the "Deep State" conspiracy theories (but doesn't really go there, thank god). But at the time, that sort of thinking wasn't totally associated with the extreme right wing at the time... You had a ton of radicals/weirdos who identified as "leftist" and believed in the same kind of stuff, except as it applies to 9/11 complicity and war profiteering from private contractors during the '00s under Bush. People forget that. It's funny how it all seems to depend on whether a dem or republican is in the executive.

Anyway, a part of me felt like the show was squelched by some conspiracy because it was hitting to close to home about how slapdash and shadowy and opaque the whole process is. Not to mention the existence of these massive private intelligence contractors out there, which most people don't know exist (including trump as well, sadly)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’ve been going through a piecemeal rewatch and I have three words: Swearengen kidney stones :cry:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tomapot posted:

I’ve been going through a piecemeal rewatch and I have three words: Swearengen kidney stones :cry:

I CAN FEEL THE GLEET!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I CAN FEEL THE loving CLICKING OF THE GLEET!

ftfy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The only complaint I have about Rome is that with the exception of Pullo's arena battle, the fight scenes suck rear end and are awkwardly shot. The worst is when Mark Antony and Octavian have a fist fight and it looks like two geriatric men pretending to pummel each other. The big battle in season 2 looks super cheap with obvious cut and and paste of the same 40 dudes over and over again

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

tomapot posted:

I'm a 33 year old dude and I liked The Kominsky Method but drat the prostate stuff is difficult.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The only complaint I have about Rome is that with the exception of Pullo's arena battle, the fight scenes suck rear end and are awkwardly shot. The worst is when Mark Antony and Octavian have a fist fight and it looks like two geriatric men pretending to pummel each other. The big battle in season 2 looks super cheap with obvious cut and and paste of the same 40 dudes over and over again

Yeah they had no budget left for the battle scenes and it's really sad. There's a good series on youtube called History Buffs that goes into detail about Rome and talks about the budget issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTmgHCVWgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8WWIz_a-I

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A little snippet of footage in this HBO 2019 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FHYri6Y4oA&t=25s

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Brad Dourif and Garret Dillahunt should get their own category in the Academy awards as to who’s movie is better that year. Yes, they should act in one every year. They are great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Early 2019" and "Spring 2019" and it's March and there's no release date yet??

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Early 2019" and "Spring 2019" and it's March and there's no release date yet??

June 21st is the last day of spring so I'm willing to wait.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo I'm drinking and watching Apollo 13, which was just put on Netflix, and Ray McKinnon is in this! I've seen it a million times and never noticed him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Holy poo poo I'm drinking and watching Apollo 13, which was just put on Netflix, and Ray McKinnon is in this! I've seen it a million times and never noticed him.

He was a fair Midfielder in his day. Dundee!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the Star Trek TNG episode where they defrost a bunch of 21st century cryohumans and wondered why the country singer sounded do familiar, until I realized it's Tom Noddal.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

davidspackage posted:

I watched the Star Trek TNG episode where they defrost a bunch of 21st century cryohumans and wondered why the country singer sounded do familiar, until I realized it's Tom Noddal.

Those who doubt this eat gagh by choice

Asbury fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 5, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Movie to air in May, according to Ian McShane.

May 26 is the weekend after GOT ends, decent timeslot for it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

drunkill posted:

Movie to air in May, according to Ian McShane.

May 26 is the weekend after GOT ends, decent timeslot for it.

Come to think of it, I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire the same year Deadwood aired. Two endings I've been waiting fifteen years for and they're both in the same month. So that's cool i guess

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

davidspackage posted:

Holy crap I just watched that episode and totally missed that!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Steve the Drunk is a general (of the non friend of the family variety) on Project Blue Book and boy has he aged!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Uhhhhh

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Astroman posted:

Steve the Drunk is a general (of the non friend of the family variety) on Project Blue Book and boy has he aged!

I feel like I'm missing some very important background information here...

Never mind! Thought this was the Schadenfreude thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sidestepping all that this is literally the first I've heard of Project Blue Book, is it good