Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Junkie Disease posted:

I haven't seen a good movie from South Korea since

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

Prime or netflix got any new ones since 2016?

You might have already seen it, since it came out in 2016, but The Wailing is one of the best horror movies ever made. I've heard it called "The Korean Exorcist", which is deeply unfair, because it sets unrealistic expectations that The Exorcist can't possibly live up to. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You might have already seen it, since it came out in 2016, but The Wailing is one of the best horror movies ever made. I've heard it called "The Korean Exorcist", which is deeply unfair, because it sets unrealistic expectations that The Exorcist can't possibly live up to. :v:

I have super not seen it and now i shall thank you very much.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Wailing is awesome, everyone go watch it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Queen Combat posted:

I should probably watch

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN,

shouldn't I?

It's my favourite zombie movie ever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I grew up in the area and time that TD season 1 early murders were set in. It was super nostalgic and well done. Great show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the 2nd season was largely okay, but definitely less focused and definitely a step down from season 1. Season 3 feels like a conscious effort to return to season 1 form, right down to the framing device, relationship between leads, and case theme. Season 3's plot hasn't been as engaging as season 1's, but Mahershala Ali has been absolutely stellar and, unless they completely flub the landing on sunday, is worth your time.

Just finish season 1, jump straight to season 3, and then if you really want to be a completionist then watch season 2.

Yeah the acting in 3 is phenomenal. So is the make up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Wailing is really an experience, very unique even if you've already seen a lot of other South Korean films. I gotta rewatch that at some point.

Fair warning, it's a pretty long movie but it's totally worth it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

I should probably watch

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN,

shouldn't I?

Watch The Host if you want a fun, accessible Korean movie if you haven’t seen it. It’s scifi/horror/comedy and a generally ripping good time.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Junkie Disease posted:

I haven't seen a good movie from South Korea since

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

Prime or netflix got any new ones since 2016?

The Handmaiden on prime. Latest over the top revenge movie from Park Chan Wook

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

air- posted:

The Handmaiden on prime. Latest over the top revenge movie from Park Chan Wook

Oh snap thanks for this.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Stopping in to say Abducted in Plain Sight was the wildest thing I've seen in a long time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched season 1 of True Detective right after it concluded, all the way through, in a few days. Was totally blown away. I watched season 2 week by week and of course got some disappointment. Recently I rewatched season 1 for the first time and I realized just how loving upset I would have been if I'd been watching it as it aired. There are things that never pay off, all kinds of red herrings and dead ends, total bullshit, inconsistent characters. Season 1 is amazing because of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey and a variety of visual stuff. That's it.

Did anything ever come of the plagiarism accusations from Season 1? I know the end scene was lifted almost verbatim from an Alan Moore comic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anything ever come of the plagiarism accusations from Season 1? I know the end scene was lifted almost verbatim from an Alan Moore comic.

Nah, not enough there for actual action to be taken.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I enjoyed Season 2 of True Detective but it’s so different from the first that it honestly just could have been a different show entirely.

I do think it gets too dark for its own good especially toward the end, but it never came across to me like it was trying to be dark to be edgy as much as they were just overreaching.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Frog Act posted:

For years I dismissed True Detective and even tried three times to watch the pilot but got bored because I wasn’t quite paying attention

Been taking dabs and watching the first season this week after realizing I had already watched the first season of The Fall and wow, it’s super good. A little cheesy dialogue wise sometimes but the cinematography is legitimately gorgeous and the characters are both morally ambiguous and distinctive without going over the top with it too much.

I gather the second season basically sucks though?

There are several great scenes and one excellent episode (the one shot like a film noir, where they go to that house) but overall. season 2 can be skipped without worry

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

I enjoyed Season 2 of True Detective but it’s so different from the first that it honestly just could have been a different show entirely.

I do think it gets too dark for its own good especially toward the end, but it never came across to me like it was trying to be dark to be edgy as much as they were just overreaching.

The first(?) episode with the cops getting shot up was fine

It has gently caress all to do with what we now know of the overarching plot

If you've ever been adjacent to human trafficking you'd be disappointed by the ending of the first season too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I finally saw Buster Scruggs. I loved the first story even though I hated the dude after about 2 minutes. My friends made me skip the second-last story because apparently it contains dogmurder. Should I go back and watch it now that they're not here?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The dog lives.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uh, yeah. It's probably the best one.

Also tell your friends not too be so fragile lol. and the dog doesn't even die

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

redreader posted:

I finally saw Buster Scruggs. I loved the first story even though I hated the dude after about 2 minutes. My friends made me skip the second-last story because apparently it contains dogmurder. Should I go back and watch it now that they're not here?

Stop listening to your friends and go watch John Wick.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also Battle Angle Alita.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Gyges posted:

Stop listening to your friends and go watch John Wick.

Still avoid Lobster though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That was pretty graphic.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

rzal posted:

Still avoid Lobster though.

This is one of my litmus tests for someone's opinion on movies if they liked it I can safely ignore the rest of what they have to say

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

redreader posted:

Definitely watch that story, it's arguably the best.

The last one is my personal favourite, but that's a close second (tied with the prospector one).

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I got about 20 minutes into Abducted in Plain Sight and just had to turn it off. When the dad reveals he was "fooled" into giving his neighbor a handjob I figured watching any more of that poo poo would sorely tempt me to break my tv. I don't know that I've ever been so angry watching a show in my life. Parents waiting 5 loving days to report a missing child? The sheer, crystalline stupidity of those parents really should constitute criminal neglect at a minimum.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unzip and Attack posted:

I got about 20 minutes into Abducted in Plain Sight and just had to turn it off. When the dad reveals he was "fooled" into giving his neighbor a handjob I figured watching any more of that poo poo would sorely tempt me to break my tv. I don't know that I've ever been so angry watching a show in my life. Parents waiting 5 loving days to report a missing child? The sheer, crystalline stupidity of those parents really should constitute criminal neglect at a minimum.

How can you possibly be fooled into such a thing?

Is the entire show just about the most dumb and neglectful people on the face of the Earth?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gyges posted:

How can you possibly be fooled into such a thing?

Is the entire show just about the most dumb and neglectful people on the face of the Earth?

Look sometimes you see a bucket of popcorn and you just reach right in.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Gallatin posted:

This is one of my litmus tests for someone's opinion on movies if they liked it I can safely ignore the rest of what they have to say

The Lobster is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. Maybe ever. I love it so much. Just thinking about it makes me smile. :)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

You are supposed to hate the titular character.

Tom Waits though

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unzip and Attack posted:

That was the point we shut it off too; because there was no way it couldn't get worse and more infuriating.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I guess I'm the only one that's super duper unhappy with True Detective season 3. It feels like nothing happens and I actually think most of the acting is extremely hokey. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that the finale was this weekend because I feel like they've barely done anything. Season 1 had a very surreal and immersive vibe and so did season 2 in a very different way, but I'm just not getting that with this season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Y’all missed out on the alien invasion, complete with voice modulators and faked alien abduction, the girl getting kidnapped twice and then after that her parents voluntarily letting her go stay with the kidnapper amongst other things.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

veni veni veni posted:

Y’all missed out on the alien invasion, complete with voice modulators and faked alien abduction, the girl getting kidnapped twice and then after that her parents voluntarily letting her go stay with the kidnapper amongst other things.

You forgot the state having an airtight case and the parents just deciding to... drop all charges and let the guy who kidnapped their daughter get off scot free.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Watched Dumb: The Story Of Big Brother Magazine on Hulu. Yet another documentary that I'm giving a thumbs up on Hulu. I gotta say, Hulu has been my go-to lately for almost everything.

Anyways, if you grew up skating, or watching Jackass, you will probably dig this a lot. It follows the early 90s skate bust to boom with Big Brother magazine making their own rules and giving everyone the finger because what else do skaters love to do? It eventually evolved from a Magazine into video by way of Big Brother videos, CKY, and eventually Jackass. All the characters like Rocco, SteveO, Knoxville, Weeman, they're all in here. Also, boobs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

syscall girl posted:

You are supposed to hate the titular character.

I missed the memo.

I'm pissed Tim Blake Nelson isn't performing the song at the Oscars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

Definitely watch that story, it's arguably the best.

The last one is my personal favourite, but that's a close second (tied with the prospector one).

They are all pretty good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Glottis posted:

I guess I'm the only one that's super duper unhappy with True Detective season 3. It feels like nothing happens and I actually think most of the acting is extremely hokey. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that the finale was this weekend because I feel like they've barely done anything. Season 1 had a very surreal and immersive vibe and so did season 2 in a very different way, but I'm just not getting that with this season.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I thought S2 was a dumpster fire. It was an overconvulted mess. As for S3, I'll say the documentary poo poo is hokey. I will say he goes out of his way to paint everyone as a flawed character. Which is fine, we all have flaws. And detective work combined with cold cases can be boring which I feel he is trying to get across.

Tough to strike a balance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Big Man Japan is streaming on Shudder and everyone should watch it. The first 20-30 minutes are a real slow burn, but once that movie gets going :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Colostomy Bag posted:

They are all pretty good.

Yeah it's not often that you get an anthology where all the stories are varying degrees of good.