Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Speaking of which, where does the “White Helmets are actually violent terrorists” thing come from? Any proof at all? I know people who are 100% convinced this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kate Starbird did a detailed study into it, it's really one of the best reports I've seen on the topic, and I'd highly recommend reading it if you're interested how messaging is spread through alternative media:
https://medium.com/@katestarbird/content-sharing-within-the-alternative-media-echo-system-the-case-of-the-white-helmets-f34434325e77
https://faculty.washington.edu/kstarbi/Starbird-et-al-ICWSM-2018-Echosystem-final.pdf

It shows how different online communities have been drawn together through common channels, be they social media personalities, blogs, news sites. While the report focuses on anti-White Helmets sentiments it's a pretty good demonstration of how the alternative media ecosystem works.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dr.Radical posted:

Speaking of which, where does the “White Helmets are actually violent terrorists” thing come from? Any proof at all? I know people who are 100% convinced this is true.

They’ve been linked to some unsavoury groups in the past and are obviously partisan (but who isn’t). I don’t think anybody outside of retarded regime supporters really believes that though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Frond posted:

They’ve been linked to some unsavoury groups in the past and are obviously partisan (but who isn’t). I don’t think anybody outside of retarded regime supporters really believes that though.

More to the point they spoke to reporters quite a bit while clearing out wreckage after attacks in rebel held areas. They got a bit of attention internationally for talking about regime bombings of civilian targets and, as volunteer rescue workers, looked like a pretty sympathetic group to the audience. As you can imagine this made them unpopular to the Assad regime and its associated propaganda apparatus was very quick to claim they were all bastard terrorist AQ operatives false flagging everything.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Russia?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brown Moses posted:

Kate Starbird did a detailed study into it, it's really one of the best reports I've seen on the topic, and I'd highly recommend reading it if you're interested how messaging is spread through alternative media:
https://medium.com/@katestarbird/content-sharing-within-the-alternative-media-echo-system-the-case-of-the-white-helmets-f34434325e77
https://faculty.washington.edu/kstarbi/Starbird-et-al-ICWSM-2018-Echosystem-final.pdf

It shows how different online communities have been drawn together through common channels, be they social media personalities, blogs, news sites. While the report focuses on anti-White Helmets sentiments it's a pretty good demonstration of how the alternative media ecosystem works.

Oh neat, I'd noticed a while back that it seemed like there was a sort of "onramp" process by which bits of, say, Glenn Greenwald's audience might find themselves watching Alex Jones talking about some doctored/weaponized info dump from Wikileaks but I'd never seen it detailed with regard to Syria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A good example of how Russia and Syria pushes disinformation about the White Helmets is their repeated claims that the White Helmets and various groups in Idlib (in particular Al Qaeda linked groups) are working together to prepare false flags. We did a study of these claims at Bellingcat, finding at least 22 separate allegations of false flag chemical attacks being prepared throughout 2018, with the only evidence provided for any of the attacks being one short video clip from a drone showing the entrance of an underground hospital. It even included claims that the White Helmets had filmed a false flag chemical attack, and were waiting to release the footage any day. That was several months ago.

Of course, despite the lack of any evidence, Russia Today, Press TV, and all the other usual suspects report about these allegations, which are then picked up by the alternative media ecosystem and spread through out, so there's these constant allegations of false flags being prepared through 2018, and continuing into 2019, despite no actual evidence being provided. To add to this effect you then have Russia Today and pals picking out figures like Vanessa Beeley from that ecosystem who repeat the propaganda that's been pushed, reinforcing the messaging they're trying to push, and, in the eyes of the people who consume information from that ecosystem, adding legitimacy to those individuals.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I take it that Saudi Arabia has nukes now?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I think the more accurate term for this would be a "blog post".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thanks for your contribution.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks for your contribution.

You mean thanks for the analysis

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Thanks, BM.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

You mean thanks for the analysis

I think the more accurate term for this would be a "forum post".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1096121922876788737?s=19

Since we don't have an India thread I'll post this here.

India has removed Pakistan from its Most Favored Nation trade status. I think India launching strikes across the Line of Control like in 2016 is likely.

Edit: spelling

Here we go:

https://twitter.com/nitin_gadkari/status/1098567044574916608

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That's bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Are we talking a significant amount of water here? Lets remember that many conflicts start out of desperality of opposing sides. Resource cut off is a quick road to a conflict.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's the Eastern tributaries which, as per the Indus Water Treaty, India has exclusive rights to - they utilize something like >90% of the water for their own ends and the leftover is allowed to flow into Pakistan, so the announcement is nationalist-rousing declaration that Pakistan won't get even that anymore.

Blocking the Western rivers would've been a declaration of war. Pakistan depends on its share of the water to remain a functional state.

The Indus continues to be the ticking time bomb between these two nuclear powers, so any move away from an amicable re-negotiation of the IWT is very, very bad. And the Himalayan glaciers keep shrinking.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This withdrawal is such a loving mess. First we had the Trump announcement everyone ignored, then the more recent announcement that everyone freaked out over, then walkback, then Trump saying no I mean it, we're getting everyone out of there, then last night they said 200 troops would stay, and now that's been doubled to 400. It would be nice if they figured out what the gently caress they were doing instead of constantly leaving everyone's head spinning.

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1099018064782376961

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's the Eastern tributaries which, as per the Indus Water Treaty, India has exclusive rights to - they utilize something like >90% of the water for their own ends and the leftover is allowed to flow into Pakistan, so the announcement is nationalist-rousing declaration that Pakistan won't get even that anymore.

Blocking the Western rivers would've been a declaration of war. Pakistan depends on its share of the water to remain a functional state.

The Indus continues to be the ticking time bomb between these two nuclear powers, so any move away from an amicable re-negotiation of the IWT is very, very bad. And the Himalayan glaciers keep shrinking.

to add a bit, the himalayan glaciers shrinking isn't a "the amount of water available is going down" thing (except insofar as increased temperatures do that), it's a "the amount of water available is becoming less reliable" thing

more floods, more droughts

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sinteres posted:

This withdrawal is such a loving mess. First we had the Trump announcement everyone ignored, then the more recent announcement that everyone freaked out over, then walkback, then Trump saying no I mean it, we're getting everyone out of there, then last night they said 200 troops would stay, and now that's been doubled to 400. It would be nice if they figured out what the gently caress they were doing instead of constantly leaving everyone's head spinning.

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1099018064782376961

No one can predict our actions if we do not know what we are doing

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like the OPCW report on the Douma chemical attack should be out at the end of next week, so expect some drama around that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like the discrepancy on the number of troops remaining in country may have been because someone forgot we're still occupying Tanf and the early number was just east of the Euphrates.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Looks like the discrepancy on the number of troops remaining in country may have been because someone forgot we're still occupying Tanf and the early number was just east of the Euphrates.

Lol. Gotta keep that patch of desert away from Syria. I guess the US didn’t annex it and it’s for “anti-ISIS”operations. This idea that the US has any humanitarian interest in anything, Venezuela or otherwise, is laughable.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the current chances of India and Pakistan going to nuclear war this year?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

What are the current chances of India and Pakistan going to nuclear war this year?

low but worryingly nonzero

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's stochastic; an event needs to trigger increased tensions over J&K (like what happened last week), but then both actors need to escalate (unlike what's happening now, which is so far posturing).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In which case what would be the difference between posturing and escalation then?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

In which case what would be the difference between posturing and escalation then?

Nukes killing people.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully India and Iran can coordinate some response against Pakistan, the noted American ally and prolific state sponsor of terrorism

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GreyjoyBastard posted:

we used to have one but some of the most prolific posters either moved to CSPAM, fell in the Great November 2016 Purge, or most crucially whatever the hell happened to ReindeerF (executed when Rama X ascended to the Thai throne? is actually Rama X and is too busy to post here now?)

edit: it was admittedly more SE Asia, but it's where I stowed my occasional Sri Lanka posts
It just doesn't attract enough attention for ongoing discussion in my experience. We're currently in an election here in Thailand, after a coup that successfully managed to straddle a succession that - one can only assume - it was put in place to straddle and assist in any way possible for the benefit of the country.

There are a lot of low level lol events related to any election managed by a military junta, but the lolest of events has to be this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47167378

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30363939

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/09/thai-princess-running-for-pm-says-she-wants-country-moving-forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

EDIT: Malaysia is in chaos after a bunch of Malasyians conspired with international bankers to rip off the country, which called Mahathir back to service. Burma and Laos and Cambodia are all moving closer to China under its Belt & Roads program, which is China's Monroe Doctrine. ASSK has, as I predicted a decade ago, turned out to be a canny politician willing to toss aside human rights to promote the Burman majority. Hun Sen retains power over Cambodia. Laos is, well, Laos. :zzz: The Philippines is, as ever, a showcase of Spanish colonial excellence. Probably the bright spot is Indonesia and Singapore. There's a lot going on there I don't know about, but basically they have formed a weird Silicon Valley thing wherein Indonesians provide the talent and Singapore provides the oversight and money. Admittedly, I don't know much about stuff outside the GMS, so that's pretty cursory, but what-evs. Also, Brunei still exists.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 23, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Even taking current events into account, the prerequisites for this are so insanely outlandish its not really worth considering outside the context of two nuclear powers at loggerheads always being a bad thing in general.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/jammu-kashmir-pakistan-ceasefire-violation-nowshera-rajouri-pulwama-attack-1463523-2019-02-24

Pakistani and Indian soldiers have reportedly exchanged fire across the Line of Control.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/india-police-arrest-kashmir-separatists-rising-tensions-190223192234464.html

India has cracked down and arrested 150 separatists in Kashmir.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Anyone else following the massive protests in Sudan? Has been going for a month now and it looks like Bashir has caved in. He was intent on changing the constitution and running for a fifth term but now he said will not do any of that. Wonder how this is going to play out.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Interesting piece : Why the EU is embracing Middle East strongmen

https://www.ft.com/content/db796d70-3070-11e9-ba00-0251022932c8?list=intlhomepage

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The link is paywalled, but let me guess: because it's profitable, because it's easy and convenient, and most importantly, because authoritarian strongmen are good at keeping the region's problems bottled up and localized so that no collateral damage washes up on the shores of Europe?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Also likely cause they didn't like what happened after they got Gadaffi killed and are now too scared to have it happen again, while also too lazy to find an alternative.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CrazyLoon posted:

Also likely cause they didn't like what happened after they got Gadaffi killed and are now too scared to have it happen again, while also too lazy to find an alternative.

Pretty much. Mainstreet europe would rather support a few bad apples on the border of the mediterranean if it means more fascism wont grip the super state.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Pretty much. Mainstreet europe would rather support a few bad apples on the border of the mediterranean if it means more fascism wont grip the super state.

That's only for the short term. Sooner or later these strongmen will figure out how to start pushing for more and the EU won't do anything about it. Like Putin or Erdogan.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran's Foreign Minister, resigned rather abruptly today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

OhFunny posted:

Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran's Foreign Minister, resigned rather abruptly today.

That's not a good sign.

My hot take is that he was too invested in running the clock out on the Trump administration and that's not seen as a solution with all the recent threats building. The powers-that-be would need someone more ideological and to build fresh relationships with Pakistan, China, India, etc - especially after Poland & the recent MBS trip.

e: hot take was probably wrong

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 27, 2019