Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is the Peach costume with the Bowser wicked weaves in Bayonetta 2 too or only 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what was the studio that did asura’s wrath anyway? i remember joking with my friends when the original trailer came out that it was going to be the manlimé, the manliest anime, because it was a dude getting spiked by 100,000 spears and then yelling a bunch, but i kind of lost track after that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CyberConnect

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the Peach costume with the Bowser wicked weaves in Bayonetta 2 too or only 1

Both.

Bayo 2 gives you the choice of either original hair or short with the Nintendo Costumes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they made the .hack games

they're a bamco

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

they made the .hack games

they're a bamco

what

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

they also make the good naruto games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bamco = bandai namco

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cyberconnect, you know, the developers of tail concerto

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

what was the studio that did asura’s wrath anyway? i remember joking with my friends when the original trailer came out that it was going to be the manlimé, the manliest anime, because it was a dude getting spiked by 100,000 spears and then yelling a bunch, but i kind of lost track after that

And in the end it's actually about Asura realizing his wrath shouldn't have a place in the world.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the load times in prey mooncrash are devouring my soul

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

And in the end it's actually about Asura realizing his wrath shouldn't have a place in the world.

Overcoming toxic masculinity, it truly was manlimé

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Asura's wrath is probably the best QTE game you will ever play. Only gripe with it? Capcom putting the "real" ending behind DLC. That was a dick move.

The dlc fights with Ryu and Akuma are pretty cool though (those are seperate ones)

https://youtu.be/Q3jlJbM6K5I?t=738

i just love how over the top the game is with it ending Akuma and Asura just punching the hell out of each other for 500 years.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 23, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think the disc ending stands on its own just fine though, the DLC ending is pretty much like how anime will sometimes have an alternate ending OVA they expect you to buy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
apex legends is fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shindragon posted:

Asura's wrath is probably the best QTE game you will ever play. Only gripe with it? Capcom putting the "real" ending behind DLC. That was a dick move.

I have a gripe that you can't invert the controls during the rail shooter bits

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

homeless snail posted:

I think the disc ending stands on its own just fine though, the DLC ending is pretty much like how anime will sometimes have an alternate ending OVA they expect you to buy

Ah ok, I was only able to play Asura's Wrath when I had PSNow (when it still let you play PS3 games) and yeah no dlc for it but that's good to hear I dind't miss too much.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean, the DLC ending is loving sick, you did miss something.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Did any of ya'll ever play Rain World?

Would you consider it a good game?

I made some posts on it a while ago, let me dig those out:

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World is such a weird game for me because I... think it's a masterpiece, but my memories of it are such a blur. It's one of the most oppressive game worlds I've ever seen; I look back at The Exterior and it just boggles my mind how I was able to even begin to get through that, but that's sorta what the game does, it makes you start operating purely on instinct to survive the everything. Getting through an area you spent the last few hours beating your head against is so satisfying, and sometimes the procedural generation blesses you with absolute magic like fighting alongside a gang of scavengers in a war against a lizard horde and then a vulture flies in and causes even more chaos and it's the best poo poo ever.

I feel like it's worth showing just why the game has its title, because it's really something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUzm4tfOkg

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World has some of the most impressive procedural creature behavior/animation that I've ever seen. Making friends with scavengers and then roaming with them to kill jerk-rear end lizards is great. However, the game is absurdly difficult, punishing, and very very vague. It's definitely meant to be that way, but it's something to keep in mind.

There are some vitally important things that aren't communicated very well:
- Double tap the 'eat' button to switch held objects between hands. The easiest way to kill lizards is to hit their head with a rock and then spear them, but you need to be sure you're holding the rock in the slugcat's right hand to actually do this. Spears have priority on pickup so if you don't know this function you basically can't reliably kill lizards except through tricky movement.
- Crouch before entering thick pipes to make sure you enter head first, otherwise you'll move very slowly. Thin pipes, the ones that are just a dotted line, don't matter for this. Also, you can cross over lizards in the same thin pipe moving in the opposite direction. It makes no sense whatsoever but it's very useful.
- DO NOT press the jump key underwater. Just like every video game, this speeds you up. Unlike most video games, it makes you lose practically all your air and will make you drown almost immediately. The best way to move underwater is in a snaking motion, which gives you a decent speed. I almost quit the game because I had no idea how I was supposed to swim any sort of distance underwater.

So yes, I like it quite a lot. I've been meaning to get back into it since there was an absurdly massive fan mod made recently that adds a ton of areas, characters, and really nice quality-of-life stuff features (icons for enemies in the room should cut down on a lot of annoying deaths). I need to give that a shot, it looks like one of the slugcats you can play as is basically just 'Splosion Man.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

CyberConnect

2 or OG?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I mean, the DLC ending is loving sick, you did miss something.

Its amazing yeah but once you play the moon level you already experienced gaming ambrosia

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Looper posted:

they also make the good naruto games

That 360 Naruto game with Konoha as an open hub area was pretty sweet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it's the same company they just tacked a 2 on the end after being in business a few years

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The one problem with Asura's Wrath is that you didn't first fight in the hot springs before going to the moon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh wow I forgot the one thing I very much loved about Asura Wrath.

The shut up button with certain boss fights.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I put an hour into TitS 1 and...it seems kinda boring? Like obviously it's just getting started but nothing has really happened, the battle system doesn't seem particularly engaging, and the writing is weirdly stilted in a way that doesn't leave me happily anticipating just reading the characters interact (which is a feeling that can easily carry otherwise not great games for me). From bits and pieces of discussion in the RPG thread I've gathered that the entire first game is supposed to be a sort of slow burn set up for the more exciting second and third acts but I don't know that I have it in me to play a few dozen hours of this. I'm not completely writing it off so if someone comes and tells me I'm right on the cusp of a shift in the storytelling then I'll believe it and power through to see if I like it more a bit further in.

I dunno how much I'll be able to take this, though

Joshua: <Reasonable thing to say>
Estella: <Wacky, off-the-wall overstatement of her personality gimmick>
Joshua: "Well, that sure was weird of you to say. Moving on... <more reasonable stuff>"

e: worst case scenario I got the game on sale so I'm not losing much if I just drop it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're not enjoying the writing and characters I'd drop it since that the only thing the Sky games have going for them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

The one problem with Asura's Wrath is that you didn't first fight in the hot springs before going to the moon.
the hot springs are not a place for fighting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I put an hour into TitS 1 and...it seems kinda boring? Like obviously it's just getting started but nothing has really happened, the battle system doesn't seem particularly engaging, and the writing is weirdly stilted in a way that doesn't leave me happily anticipating just reading the characters interact (which is a feeling that can easily carry otherwise not great games for me). From bits and pieces of discussion in the RPG thread I've gathered that the entire first game is supposed to be a sort of slow burn set up for the more exciting second and third acts but I don't know that I have it in me to play a few dozen hours of this. I'm not completely writing it off so if someone comes and tells me I'm right on the cusp of a shift in the storytelling then I'll believe it and power through to see if I like it more a bit further in.

I dunno how much I'll be able to take this, though

Joshua: <Reasonable thing to say>
Estella: <Wacky, off-the-wall overstatement of her personality gimmick>
Joshua: "Well, that sure was weird of you to say. Moving on... <more reasonable stuff>"

e: worst case scenario I got the game on sale so I'm not losing much if I just drop it

estelle gets a lot better writing when she's detached from joshua but yeah, their dynamic is uh. pretty dull. and joshua in general is just kind of boring. sky fc is okay but yeah it's understandable to, not get into it. honestly out of the sky trilogy 3rd is the only one i really love, sc is a bit of a mixed bag

fwiw i think the cold steel games are, a lot more consistent and have generally stronger character writing, if you ever wanna give those a look

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got about 5-10 hours into TitS and never saw anything approaching a boss fight or any interesting twist on the very slow move/attack combat system so i quit but i hear i'm really missing out on story. Trying to play on vita before bed probably wasnt doing me favors cause that poo poo is sleep inducing levels of verbosity with nothing happening at the outset

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

estelle gets a lot better writing when she's detached from joshua but yeah, their dynamic is uh. pretty dull. sky fc is okay but yeah it's understandable to, not get into it. honestly out of the sky trilogy 3rd is the only one i really love, sc is a bit of a mixed bag

fwiw i think the cold steel games are, a lot more consistent and have generally stronger character writing, if you ever wanna give those a look

Yeah I wasn't planning on writing off Cold Steel since everyone said it was generally better but when TitS FC went on sale I decided to try starting from the beginning.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i'd say it's less that fc is a slow burn and more that it's genuinely just sort of repetitive and boring. cold steel has the same sort of low-key start but, it's way better paced and generally does a much better job showcasing its cast and its writing in general

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

singateco posted:

Doug Bowser's Inside Story

Doug Bowser's Insider Trading

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Doug Bowser's Insider Trading

I feel like that'd be something more down Thomas Yoshi's alley.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like that'd be something more down Thomas Yoshi's alley.

Thomas Yoshi's Tax Fraud Story

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I wasn't planning on writing off Cold Steel since everyone said it was generally better but when TitS FC went on sale I decided to try starting from the beginning.

I like what I've played of CS, but that's kind of a niche take in the grand scheme of things as far as I can tell. whenever I see the wider fanbase it's generally the cold steel games that are most divisive

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I found CS' repetition to be worse and the characters to be worse and the combat worse and ughhh

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pigbuster posted:

I made some posts on it a while ago, let me dig those out:

So yes, I like it quite a lot. I've been meaning to get back into it since there was an absurdly massive fan mod made recently that adds a ton of areas, characters, and really nice quality-of-life stuff features (icons for enemies in the room should cut down on a lot of annoying deaths). I need to give that a shot, it looks like one of the slugcats you can play as is basically just 'Splosion Man.

Thanks. Honestly despite its rough edges Rainworld seems like the kind of game I'd love so I should probably buy it. I just hate that nowadays my first thought about playing a game isn't "do I wanna play it" but rather "can I make time to play it". I miss being able to play everything I could possibly want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On one hand the sky games have the best game, the 3rd, on the other hand the cold steel games have the best character, duvalie...