Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pryce posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, since that space is doing a conversation check as well (on all your companions).

Since the strongholds and ships are all grouped into a few common instances is there any chance of bleed over like there used to be (maybe still is) with other people opening packs and hearing random explosions on your ship? Or no because those copies of the companions aren't yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

Use my code, assholes!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hello goons! If one was looking to gently caress about in star wars times and play some good stories, what classes have the best ones to run through?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agent has the best story, Knight has the most KOTOR3 story. Warrior is like if KOTOR3 was played from the Imperial side. Inquisitor is solid too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Agent, All Force Users, Hunter, Smuggler, Trooper.

Edit (Force Users: Warrior, Inquisitor, Consular, Knight)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

queeb posted:

hello goons! If one was looking to gently caress about in star wars times and play some good stories, what classes have the best ones to run through?

Knight, Warrior, Inquisitor, Agent.

Knight is a save the galaxy, fight the empire story. If you're looking for a very straightforward sequel to KOTOR, this is that.

Warrior is a straightforward narrative about learning the true meaning of "might makes right." I'm not that fond of it but everyone else seems to be.

Inquisitor is about being smarter than everyone.

Agent is James Bond but in service of a somewhat more fascist empire. (It's also one of the two sleep-with-literally-everyone stories if you are into that.)

Smuggler, Trooper, and Consular are okay.

Smuggler is a collect the macguffins story that doesn't tie into anything else very well. It's the other storyline with all the [Flirt] options.

Trooper is predictable hooah stuff. You've guessed the one single plot development before you leave the first planet.

Consular is Knight lite. Same themes, similar characters, lower stakes. You start the story as a respected Jedi already, unlike the stories where level 1 means you're a green novice, so it's either completely unbelievable or very entertaining to play a consular who is just a huge rear end in a top hat.

Bounty Hunter is a gd mess, and definitely the worst. You wander around and kill a bunch of zero-personality mooks on the orders of other zero-personality mooks, in order to win a literal game. It's building up to a "big twist" that makes no sense and doesn't at all work with the fact that this is shoehorned into a bad MMO.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cease to Hope posted:

Agent is James Bond but in service of a somewhat more fascist empire. (It's also one of the two sleep-with-literally-everyone stories if you are into that.)

:ssh: You can't sleep with everyone if you're Chiss. :saddowns:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Trooper is good...

for like one act. Then it falls off a cliff hard.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do all the storylines converge into one eventually?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cease to Hope posted:

Inquisitor is about being smarter than everyone. lightning.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

queeb posted:

Every vanilla planet (except Quesh) has both a class-specific storyline and a storyline for all characters of that faction. This is the vanilla leveling experience, up to Corellia.

After Corellia, the class-specific storylines are over and there are just the planet-specific storylines, until KOTFT. (There's one single class-specific mission on Rishi.)

From KOTFT onward, storylines aren't planet-based, but there are still no class-specific storylines any more.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

prefect posted:

:ssh: You can't sleep with everyone if you're Chiss. :saddowns:

Really? I've never played Chiss Agent before. That seems like an odd detail.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

XBenedict posted:

Really? I've never played Chiss Agent before. That seems like an odd detail.

The Empire is racist as hell.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

queeb posted:

Depends what you mean by storyline. The class stories are all generally pretty separate iirc, with only a scant amount of them referencing each other (knight and warrior of the only one I can think of off the top of my head). I’m not even sure if they all take place at the same time.

Outside the class stories, there are faction-specific planetary quests, which all classes share, and then once you get past the end of the class stories, nothing is class-specific at all anymore (outside of some small negligible things)

Agent is the best story because it is the tale of a mid-level government officer doing their best to serve an empire run by evil wizards who are more interested in stabbing each other in the back than working for a common interest. The keeper is the main character of that story as far as I’m concerned

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

You can sleep with everyone if you're a Chiss lady, though!

It's one specific lady that male Agents can only boink if they're human, cyborg, or sith pureblood.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

prefect posted:

Yet it infuriates me that my alien (insert empire class) can't choke the life out of Grand Moff Regus on Ilum. He's like the Grand Dragon of the Empire Klan. I mean, you can at least have the option of killing Harkun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

You can sleep with everyone if you're a Chiss lady, though!

It's one specific lady that male Agents can only boink if they're human, cyborg, or sith pureblood.

I thought there were two. (Watcher Two and the lady you meet at the party whose father is holed up on Grathan's estate.)

(Yes, I have leveled up way too many characters. :shobon:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Depends what you mean by storyline. The class stories are all generally pretty separate iirc, with only a scant amount of them referencing each other (knight and warrior of the only one I can think of off the top of my head). I’m not even sure if they all take place at the same time.

They all take place within the same roughly 10 year period, but some storylines run a longer span of that than others.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Agent and Sith Warrior are by far the best overall stories. Sith Warrior also has the best version of KotFE and KotET, if you have those (anyone that says Knight is wrong, the Warrior has way more special dialogue and flows more logically, considering the nature of the storyline)

The only actually BAD storyline is Trooper, really. Everything else is still good, it's just those two are head and shoulders above the rest. Even Trooper isn't straight terrible, it's just... ehhh?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I find Inquisitor the worst story. I don't find the Inquisitor funny (tee hee look how wacky we are has never sat well with me), and if you try to play it straight the story is a long procession of deus ex machina, the Inquisitor being an idiot, and stuff just happening to you for no particular reason.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bounty hunter and smuggler have weaker storylines but they're carried by really fun player characters so they're still worthwhile, imo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Sith Warrior is a bootlicker.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
yeah the BH has neat armor sets, a pretty good set of companions (besides torian), and neat ability kits (merc is over the top OP and ptech is fun but not great). it's just that their story sucks incredibly

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Sith Warrior is a bootlicker.

Not when you play a Light Sided one. My guy was a badass who took no names, and you invariably cease to be a bootlicker (KotFE/ET)when you break with the Emperor and come to the realization that the entire reason he made you his Wrath and whatnot is because he's been slowly grooming you to be his replacement body for Valkorian. This is why Arcann and Vaylin hate you, because Valkorian cares more about you than either of them. It actually makes the KotFE/ET storyline a little more personal than just "stand by and watch this family disintegrate into poo poo" since you are directly personally involved and partially responsible for the situation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah the BH has neat armor sets, a pretty good set of companions (besides torian), and neat ability kits (merc is over the top OP and ptech is fun but not great). it's just that their story sucks incredibly

BH on Alderaan is some of the most fun the game has to offer but otherwise yeah

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah the BH has neat armor sets, a pretty good set of companions (besides torian)

How did you misspell Skadge that badly?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Also light side warrior is the best because it makes the Jedi SO ANGRY.

For a cult of fanatic stoics, they sure flip their poo poo every time you say "I'm not here to fight."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

How did you misspell Skadge that badly?

To mention skadge would be to make room for skadge in your mind

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Don't you poo poo on my boy skadge

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Skadge is a good lad.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaemon posted:

For a cult of fanatic stoics, they sure flip their poo poo every time you say "I'm not here to fight."

This can't be said often enough. Being a good-guy Sith Warrior is so much fun. Also, loving with Darth Baras may not be officially light-side, but it sure feels good. :)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Alaemon posted:

It's pretty entertaining to egg them on as a Dark Side SW, too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I find Inquisitor the worst story. I don't find the Inquisitor funny (tee hee look how wacky we are has never sat well with me), and if you try to play it straight the story is a long procession of deus ex machina, the Inquisitor being an idiot, and stuff just happening to you for no particular reason.

I liked Inquisitor since you started at the bottom as a slave and by the end you're on the Dark Council. But then I played light side so anyone pointing out this 'flaw' would get me flinging the Sith Code back at them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fuzz posted:

Not when you play a Light Sided one. My guy was a badass who took no names, and you invariably cease to be a bootlicker (KotFE/ET)when you break with the Emperor and come to the realization that the entire reason he made you his Wrath and whatnot is because he's been slowly grooming you to be his replacement body for Valkorian. This is why Arcann and Vaylin hate you, because Valkorian cares more about you than either of them. It actually makes the KotFE/ET storyline a little more personal than just "stand by and watch this family disintegrate into poo poo" since you are directly personally involved and partially responsible for the situation.

I feel the Knight also works very well because it changes from "You were being groomed as a replacement body" to "you became the first equal he has had in centuries and he decided to scrap all his plans to make you his replacement" which IMO fits better with the speed the family fell apart.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So I started, playing Sniper to do the agent story. Lol im like level 10 after a few quests, looks like there's a double XP event on. I can walk into an area and suppressive fire and clear an entire area in a few clicks. It's dope.

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Siegkrow posted:

I feel the Knight also works very well because it changes from "You were being groomed as a replacement body" to "you became the first equal he has had in centuries and he decided to scrap all his plans to make you his replacement" which IMO fits better with the speed the family fell apart.

Eh, the tension with Vaylin and Arcann I feel makes far more sense with SW specifically because it's been hanging over their heads for over a decade at that point. Also all the mindscape stuff and those conversations are REALLY specific when you're an SW and have several more lines than any other class. The specific dynamic of the two force masters you meet becomes directly reminiscent of the original trilogy when you're coming from the Imperial side, as well, which seems pretty intentional. Smuggler also doesn't matter, alignment wise.

I mean ultimately, play what you want to make the story your own, but if you're coming in fresh and just want to get the "ideal experience" then you should probably just play the expansions as a Sith Warrior.

And yeah, in general the best class stories are when you play as the alignment opposite your Faction, with the exception of Agent where you should ignore alignment entirely and just be as pragmatic as possible, which incidentally makes you stay almost perfectly neutral without outside bumps, which is also not an accident.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

One of the best bits about playing an Inquisitor is all the times you get the excited "Oh boy!" dialogue option. One of the worst bits is that the Inquisitor never actually says "Oh boy!".

Why must you torture me so, BioWare

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sombrerotron posted:

One of the best bits about playing an Inquisitor is all the times you get the excited "Oh boy!" dialogue option. One of the worst bits is that the Inquisitor never actually says "Oh boy!".

Why must you torture me so, BioWare

Time to go a killing!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Time to go a killing!

I wonder if the name Krombopulos Michael is taken for a BH. Too bad you can't make a horrible bugman character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

I wonder if the name Krombopulos Michael is taken for a BH. Too bad you can't make a horrible bugman character.

It is on Shan.