Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Everything about it's existence.

??? Am I missing what's supposed to be wrong with it?

quote:

Under the pen name Yves Smith, Susan Webber, the principal of Aurora Advisors Incorporated and author of ECONned, launched the site in December 2006. She focused on finance and economic news and analysis, with an emphasis on legal and ethical issues of the banking industry and the mortgage foreclosure process, the worldwide effects of the banking crisis of 2008, the 2007–2012 global financial crisis, and its aftermath.

The site has had over 60 million visitors since 2007, and was cited as among CNBC's 2012 top 25 "Best Alternative Financial Blogs", calling Smith "a harsh critic of Wall Street who believes that fraud was at the center of the financial crisis".[2]

The New York Times financial reporter Gretchen Morgenson cited Naked Capitalism as one of the "must-read financial blogs" she read regularly.[9] Since 2010, Yves Smith has been a repeat guest on Le Show hosted by Harry Shearer.[10][11][12][13] In 2013, Naked Capitalism released an e-book titled "Naked Capitalism Whistleblower Report on Bank of America Foreclosure Reviews".[14]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

Like how can you look at that and not read left wing versions of that site with the geocity police siren.

I'm really drawing a blank on the name and now it's starting to bother me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Mueller court filing in Manafort case incoming.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Like how can you look at that and not read left wing versions of that site with the geocity police siren.

I care deeply about CSS and layout

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm really drawing a blank on the name and now it's starting to bother me.

Drudge?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yeah, and it's not just the layout, it's the way the articles are named, and from that one example written that is grammatically constructed to induce outrage like Drudge.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
OK, given the post history and rap sheet I'm going to chalk this up to trolling.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I don't get the link.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Putin says he's ready to escalate to Cuban missile levels.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/02/inf-treaty-exit-putin-says-hes-ready-to-escalate-to-cuban-missile-crisis-levels/

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

VitalSigns posted:

Well Smollet hasn't been proven guilty of filing a false report in a court of law so...

So we assume he's innocent, which would mean he really was attacked... by people we also assume are innocent?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmt/status/1099075460649107458

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1098302016822988802

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

glowing-fish posted:

They got a life sentence in a plea deal, there was no reason to prove other crimes had occurred.

They pled down to life in prison ?

:drat:

There are issues of systemic corruption in regards to the death penalty, but if your plea bargain stipulates life in prison then you're dodging an appointment with a needle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poo poo like this scares me because i know trump will do horribly in an actual crisis.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo like this scares me because i know trump will do horribly in an actual crisis.

You may relax a bit. For all of the ELEs represented by our society, and particularly our politics, this is all saber rattling because both the US and Russia realized that their citizens cared a gently caress ton less about internal politics during the Cold War so they decided to pretend to be enemies again. It's not a coincidence that this ratcheting up of tensions follows serious unrest inside of Russia.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dapper_Swindler posted:

FWIW That's meant more as saber-rattling for domestic consumption tha nas a threat to us.

Edit: Beaten!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

mllaneza posted:

They pled down to life in prison ?

:drat:

There are issues of systemic corruption in regards to the death penalty, but if your plea bargain stipulates life in prison then you're dodging an appointment with a needle.

They plead down to Live in Prison With Possibility of Parole. California also has a humanitarian law for people over the age of 60, meaning that in a decade they could get parole hearings. If they would have been charged and found guilty of sex offenses, they probably would have been denied even the possibility of parole (I don't know how the "Without Possibility of Parole" works along with the "after 60" law.

I think another one of the reasons why the prosecution didn't want to make it go to trial is that at least some of the captivity would have been hard to prove legally. One of the children was able to go to community college, for example. Anytime you have an abusive situation like that, some of the abuse victims are also recruited as "lieutenants" by the chief abusers, and some of the children were probably free to escape, in that they had freedom of movement, but were psychologically controlled. They might have been responsible for physically abusing their younger siblings, as well. From a psychological understanding of how abusive environment works, it is easy to understand how this works, but a defense attorney can ask questions like "Why did you never say anything when you were at community college?"

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Feinstein fought to keep a Confederate flag on on govt building. She's a Dem in name only.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hastings posted:

Feinstein fought to keep a Confederate flag on on govt building. She's a Dem in name only.

She's always been an authoritarian.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As mayor, she reacted to the AIDS crisis by cracking down on homosexual hotspots.

She became mayor because Harvey Milk, her predecessor, was murdered for being gay.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RandomPauI posted:

As mayor, she reacted to the AIDS crisis by cracking down on homosexual hotspots.

She became mayor because Harvey Milk, her predecessor, was murdered for being gay.

Her predecessor as Mayor actually was George Moscone. Milk was on the Board of Supervisors. Dan White assassinated both of them, which made Feinstein the replacement mayor.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I stand corrected, but she still stood on working with Harvey as if that made her an LGBTQ+ ally vs. her actual behavior.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
She also holds him up a a martyr for her gun control position.

quote:

“I was the one that found Supervisor Milk’s body, and I was the one to put a finger in a bullet hole, trying to get a pulse,” Feinstein, who succeeded Moscone as mayor following his death, told the Advocate in an interview earlier this year. “Once you have been through one of these episodes, once you see what the crime scene is like — it isn’t like the movies — it changes your view of weapons.”

“I know from first-hand experience what damage ... weapons can do to bodies,” she explained at Wednesday’s event. “I have a deep belief that these weapons are antithetical to our values.”

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Trump caved on China

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/us/politics/us-china-trade-truce.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol awesome.so all that poo poo was for nothing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's like he's intentionally destroying what good will there is left in order to make things worse than the status quo. I don't think Trump is a Russian spy, even so he's been awful good at sabotage.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

It's like he's intentionally destroying what good will there is left in order to make things worse than the status quo. I don't think Trump is a Russian spy, even so he's been awful good at sabotage.

Like the Tasmanian devil set loose in the Mission Control room during the moon landing. Don't need to be a psychohistorian to figure out what's going to happen.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mdemone posted:

Like the Tasmanian devil set loose in the Mission Control room during the moon landing. Don't need to be a psychohistorian to figure out what's going to happen.

taz goes to mars?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bloomberg continues to be poo poo, to no-ones surprise

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676366012862464

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676367912865797

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676374011392000

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the plus side, at least history will have a funny story about the fall of an empire for once. No war, pestilence, famine, disaster, or unrest. Just a self inflicted clown flushing everything down the drain while not even being able to speak properly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Gyges posted:

No war, pestilence, famine, disaster, or unrest.

:thunk:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

As the cause of the fall. Obviously those exist, but the inciting incident is an idiot running unchecked, because stopping him wouldn't own the libs.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

As the cause of the fall. Obviously those exist, but the inciting incident is an idiot running unchecked, because stopping him wouldn't own the libs.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I know it's very easy to slip into the habit of thinking that the only real causal force in the world is American domestic partisan politics and that literally everything else in the world is often interpreted through that lens, but maybe a major geopolitical shift going back decades has causes that are a bit more complicated than a single election from less than two years ago.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Helsing's (sorta) right, I mean in that list of disasters included we could say...

1) War/places we bombed: Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, "The War on Terror"
2) Pestilence: Avian influenza, rise of Anti-Vaxxers, other infectious animal diseases
3) Disaster: climate change (hurricane intensity, drought, flooding, freezing, etc.)
4) Unrest: BLM, Tea Party, etc., etc., etc.

Trump's merely a symptom of bad poo poo going on - he's just another, "well toss another rock on that poor camel's back" that happens to occur in a time when everything is recorded and we're living through.

Didn't a number of previous empires - Rome, China - collapse at various times because of stupid things that let something finally snap it?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Helsing posted:

I know it's very easy to slip into the habit of thinking that the only real causal force in the world is American domestic partisan politics and that literally everything else in the world is often interpreted through that lens, but maybe a major geopolitical shift going back decades has causes that are a bit more complicated than a single election from less than two years ago.

Yes, it's just a very silly possible cap to the developing shift. Didn't mean to imply that the American Hegemon was in full health and power until Donny flipped the off switch. Rather that it's endured through decades of work, retarding it's decay, which he's just making GBS threads all over because he doesn't understand anything but "Deals". Can we reach full fall of the empire before the orange stains are finally cleaned from the White House tub?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

HelloSailorSign posted:

Didn't a number of previous empires - Rome, China - collapse at various times because of stupid things that let something finally snap it?

Well, with regards to Rome a lot of the stories about the various mad Emperors have been discarded as probable contemporary propaganda (e.g. Caligula with the Horse Senator and such). Recent political events in the US and UK leads me to kind of believe that those stories might as well be true. If David Cameron could gently caress a dead pig, then by all means Caligula could very well have made his horse a senator.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Nosfereefer posted:

Well, with regards to Rome a lot of the stories about the various mad Emperors have been discarded as probable contemporary propaganda (e.g. Caligula with the Horse Senator and such). Recent political events in the US and UK leads me to kind of believe that those stories might as well be true. If David Cameron could gently caress a dead pig, then by all means Caligula could very well have made his horse a senator.

My memory of some more recent context with that was it seemed more like Caligula designated his horse to insult the person who expected to get the position. Which seems like a likely move in politics given the pettiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Peacoffee posted:

My memory of some more recent context with that was it seemed more like Caligula designated his horse to insult the person who expected to get the position. Which seems like a likely move in politics given the pettiness.

My point still stands; David Cameron made sweet love to a dead pig.