Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Taffer posted:

Why does copying a twitter URL from the app carry a bunch of poo poo metadata, but copying a twitter URL from the site doesn't?

I mean this stuff:

code:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1093918971114467328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093918971114467328&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

It's for the embed I'm pretty sure, it's also how twitter knows where the source of the embed is coming from and is the cause of those rate limit errors to have it not show up sometimes. You can delete the querystring in a browser and it'll load normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

It's for the embed I'm pretty sure, it's also how twitter knows where the source of the embed is coming from and is the cause of those rate limit errors to have it not show up sometimes. You can delete the querystring in a browser and it'll load normally.

It's from embeds in both cases. The URL loads fine either way, it's just annoying when I'm copying a link to share, either I edit it each time or send all that garbage each time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My Chrome updated today, and now pages in the app take quite awhile to load - almost like it's waiting for the webview component to kick in and start doing its thing.

Pixel 2 XL with latest non beta Chrome and Awful app.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was just assuming the site itself was loading slowly tonight.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I was just assuming the site itself was loading slowly tonight.

Yeah, didn't think about that. Could be!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Whoa, I just went to the emotes section on a slow-rear end data connection and... my god, it was full of frogs!

I don't think any other app has ever brought me so many little unexpected moments of joy. You're the best, I tell you. The best. Here, have another :kiss:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2019

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
e: oops wrong Android thread

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 22, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone have any good Muzei extensions they'd recommend? I'm starting to get tired of staring at the same beige / black painting color palette.

This is probably the thread you want to ask in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm noticing on gif heavy threads that the performance of the page suffers hugely even if I haven't played a gif. Scrolling stutters and jumps etc. Any settings I could tweak that might help?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah, sorry, I got my Android threads turned around!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lobok posted:

Is there a place to check common issues and troubleshooting? I checked the first page of the thread and a random spot-check of other pages and didn't see any. Hopefully I don't eat a hellban for asking.

(The post preview flashes incessantly, I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's had the problem).

Edit: Pixel 3 XL, Android 9. Though I'm pretty sure I was getting the same problem on my Moto G5+ not too long ago either.

Hmm yeah, what the heck. Wasn't doing that last time I looked

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

smdh at people so unsure of themselves they have to use the post preview

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Scaramouche posted:

:justpost:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I've never used post preview ever, even on the web I've always used quick reply.

I'll admit to editing after the fact, which is a bitch move.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I always preview unless it's a really, really short post. Like one-third the length of this one.

Measure twice, cut once.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I always preview unless it's a really, really short post. Like one-third the length of this one.

Measure twice, cut once.

Same. The app does the jittery thing for previews if there's an image or tweet. If it's just text, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Audio in Twitter embedded videos keeps cutting out

I have this issue as well. Sometimes it's fine, other times after a while, usually about a third of the video in, the audio cuts out.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Taeke posted:

I have this issue as well. Sometimes it's fine, other times after a while, usually about a third of the video in, the audio cuts out.

I'm fairly certain this is an issue with the garbage Twitter embedding API because I have this issue across multiple sites on mobile, not just Awful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah the twitter embeds just run Twitter's own code to turn the link into an actual tweet, and then any video is handled by their service

What it looks like is videos immediately default to some garbage 120p stream that doesn't even play without skipping. If you wind the video back sometimes it actually streams in full quality and then it behaves itself. Whatever's changed is on their end and I wouldn't be surprised if they're throttling aggressively, but :shrug: I can't find anything about any API changes or whatever

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I get the jitters when I'm posting imgur links. It's not just twitter

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FR: Change the "Loading Failed" message to "Foading Lailed"

(since I see it so often!! lmao zinged!)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Huh. I just got the jittery preview thing for the first time, but after 10 or 15 seconds while I was trying to read it, it stopped. Just text and no quote, latest beta on 7.1.1.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When images are very tall, the display image screen does not allow me to zoom in enough to read the image.

Example:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spankmeister posted:

When images are very tall, the display image screen does not allow me to zoom in enough to read the image.

Example:

I just get a blank screen when I choose Display Image for that one

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Same here, but when viewing that picture in-thread I can turn my device sideways and it enlarges enough to read.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kheldarn posted:

angryrobots posted:

Same here, but when viewing that picture in-thread I can turn my device sideways and it enlarges enough to read.

Weird. It looks like this too me:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Nth Doctor posted:

Weird. It looks like this too me:

just lol if you can't read that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

other people posted:

just lol if you can't read that

lol

(meaning I also have this problem and cannot read that)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Inline, it's totally legible to me but if I click through to just display the image I have the same shrunken problem.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah I see what's going on.

When I have gif animations disabled, I get the tiny preview.

When I enable gif animation, I can read the image inline.

In both cases the "display image" version is too small.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That's because it's a gif and therefore it gets replaced with a static preview. The problem is that the preview has a maximum resolution in either direction and the image is shrunk and blurred.
Just use "play gif" and it should be alright. The display image view is not really made for this I think. I'll see if I can replace it with a different library.

As for the post preview, I have no clue what is going on there :psyduck:
Looks like two different height calculations bouncing off another maybe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sereri posted:

That's because it's a gif and therefore it gets replaced with a static preview. The problem is that the preview has a maximum resolution in either direction and the image is shrunk and blurred.
Just use "play gif" and it should be alright. The display image view is not really made for this I think. I'll see if I can replace it with a different library.

As for the post preview, I have no clue what is going on there :psyduck:
Looks like two different height calculations bouncing off another maybe.

The thing about the post preview window flashing is that the effect is from the window moving up and down incredibly fast. It wants to be at the top of the screen and middle of the screen and alternates between them at lightning speed.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Tried a bunch of things and nothing worked. My current theory is that it's some javascript poo poo happening so v:v:v

Logcat fills up with this when it happens:
code:
03-04 00:24:10.472 262-262/? E/SurfaceFlinger: rejecting buffer: bufWidth=768, bufHeight=466, front.active.{w=768, h=580}
03-04 00:24:10.538 262-262/? E/SurfaceFlinger: rejecting buffer: bufWidth=768, bufHeight=466, front.active.{w=768, h=580}
03-04 00:24:10.638 262-262/? E/SurfaceFlinger: rejecting buffer: bufWidth=768, bufHeight=466, front.active.{w=768, h=580}
03-04 00:24:10.720 262-262/? E/SurfaceFlinger: rejecting buffer: bufWidth=768, bufHeight=466, front.active.{w=768, h=580}

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm having some problems with embedded pictures on Pie with my S8,the app doesn't display them inline and clicking links results in a black screen. Open with Browser obviously works.

Apparently I'm not the only one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883446&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post493070779

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah, it's because the image host the OP used it garbage. We already fixed the issue but it's not live yet.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sereri posted:

Yeah, it's because the image host the OP used it garbage. We already fixed the issue but it's not live yet.

Thanks for the quick answer,I thought this was the issue. You guys do good work!

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Moto G5+, I notice that anytime I lock the screen and then shortly thereafter unlock my current thread view reloads and jumps back to the top of the page.

However, if I go back to the home screen or switch to another app before locking, lock, unlock, open app - it resumes to the correct place.

Could be something wrong with my phone and resuming/caching in general, but I don't experience this behavior in other apps.

Also want to say I love the app and get to read the forums all the time, thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah when the thread view gets recreated your scroll position isn't saved - it's on the list but it's annoyingly awkward to get working, so... we haven't :effortless:

Dunno why the view's getting recreated exactly, I'm guessing the app gets kicked out of memory when the phone's locked for some reason? Or maybe it's crashing, if your switch-app-first trick works fine...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's something I hadn't ever seen before you had to fix the "thread view is empty upon resume" thing earlier, fwiw. It happens in exactly the same circumstances as far as what I observed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah same situation, the thread view was being recreated there too, except people wouldn't notice the scroll being reset because the whole redisplay bit was screwing up! Still don't know what triggered that recreation behaviour for everyone. But at least we know it's something to do with that, anyways

Is this happening on every page for you? Or only pages with embeds like videos? Does it matter if the page is fully loaded? There are some Application Not Responding reports for a G5+ that are related to a media player, it's possible that locking the phone while the app is open prevents it from going to the background cleanly, and then when it throws up an ANR the system is all "right then, END NOW" and that's why it restarts. Are you seeing the Awful splash screen too?