Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh and she has the time and resources to be a not lovely landlord on top of that? I guess all the goon adjacent rentiers are just living saints and we'd all better check our privilege. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If she's not making money on it then why is she doing it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yes why would the woman in an abusive relationship and 2 mouths to feed not have complete autonomy over her finances

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Yall have some serious crab bucket mentality ITT

FWIW I got run off a few months ago for pointing out that not everyone renting property is necessarily making money on it and was informed that my friend (mother of 2 extricating herself from abusive marriage and splitting the income with said shitheel) was a bloodsucking parasite who swims in a vault of gold.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahki...s/#394989613cf8

There. That is your enemy. Getting pissed at the people one loving rung up the ladder because they are trying to get by in the same lovely system you are is dumb and counterproductive.

poo poo: Didn't see LK's post.

People need to stop doing this. Yeah. You're 100% right. Billionaires are the enemy. But you know who else is the enemy? My last landlord, delightfully pleasant woman that she is. Those people in the article FRINGE posted. You know who else is the enemy? The 50 year old accountant with a house in Happy Valley, OR and a rental property in inner southeast who only modestly raises the rent and is pretty responsive to fix-it requests smiles and is all around pleasant. She makes about 130k a year and went to the first women's march because she doesn't like this rear end in a top hat president and oh yeah nods along when people talk about how hard landlords have it (because she doesn't want to consider her part).

She probably votes for centrist dems with the occasional cross over for a moderate republican (but not in this climate!). That is your enemy. That is the person who nods along when Amy Klobuchar says universal healthcare/universal education would take a magic genie. This is the person who votes for every school and transit bond but looks at you like you're a leper when you say we need to heavily subsidize transit and make it free to access. This is the kind of person who faints at the very concept of public housing. This is the kind of person who probably opposes taking action on climate unless that action in no way impacts her. This is your enemy.

Humorously, she actually no cause evicted me because she wanted to give the house to her 20 year old son to live in. I keep meaning to drive by the place and see if he's trashed it yet.

But my point is stop falling for the rhetoric about it really just being billionaires and the massive income inequality that is holding us back. You know who else is holding us back? The modestly rich, and the upper middle class, and the comfortably middle class who aren't at the moment feeling like they're at risk of falling out of the middle class. These are the bodies and the votes and the loud voices that will shout down reform. Maybe they've been fooled by the billionaires but if they have I think it's probably pretty willful.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Yes why would the woman in an abusive relationship and 2 mouths to feed not have complete autonomy over her finances

Or maybe we can work to create ways for women in abusive relationships with 2 mouths to fee to escape them without fearing financial ruin, instead of letting the wealthy trample everyone else because we found one sympathetic victim who might be hurt if we change things.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Why won't the people I keep labelling as the enemy ally with me as a voting bloc?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Housing exists for human beings to live in, not to generate income for the fortunate few who have the luxury of owning multiple usable dwellings. That's basically the entire discussion. "but my strawman!" I don't care, don't take the money if you don't like the job.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Congrats, you found a rental owner who's not a complete monster, sounds like they probably shouldn't be a rental owner though and based on the circumstances you've described up to this point anyone renting from her is probably a bad roof or a broken hot water heater away from a ruined living space that she's not remotely prepared to help them with.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Why won't the people I keep labelling as the enemy ally with me as a voting bloc?

Why won't you just accept that everything feels like it's working fine for me and I'm unwilling to change or even consider other ideas and I will not listen to you. I think we should agree to disagree.

It's this. You can't say anything because if you say it politely, you're ignored. And if you start to say it forcefully or loudly, you're rude or unpleasant to be around.

Javid posted:

Housing exists for human beings to live in, not to generate income for the fortunate few who have the luxury of owning multiple usable dwellings. That's basically the entire discussion. "but my strawman!" I don't care, don't take the money if you don't like the job.

This a million times.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The petite bourgeois landlord in a 100% real and totally not massaged example is still actively participating in class war despite being admittedly bad at it and morally repugnant.

Sorry for your example of dead labor being abusive to anyone underneath them becoming an immediately clear example showing the corrosive effect of landlordism.

Also double ha at the immediate idle threat to become even more repugnant because we held up a mirror. Great ethics, strong take.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

If only the poor and needy were nicer to the middle class. That’s the real reason they vote against the poor constantly, the poor just don’t prostrate enough. When will they learn to shut the gently caress up, the rich are so close to helping, they just can’t help people who complain too much.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I had a long effort post about how we all want the same things and I'm just pleading with you to understand that your rhetoric (not goals or policies) is driving people away who would otherwise be on your side and maybe you want their money/time/votes?

But first I'mma need everyone to post their tax returns first so I can sort out the filthy poors/job creators true proletariat/capitalist pigdogs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I make good money but only because I'm in a union. My wife, however, probably gets the guillotine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Property owners are never going to side with you on things that are, by their very nature beneficial to renters at the expense of a property owner. hth

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hey I'mma roll with the punches and pretend that this didn't start with me being completely opposed to policy that just happens to require the bourgeoisie to be mildly inconvenienced for the public welfare while they demand to extract rents from housing.

Also please go through the effort to post things that align with this sudden change of topic for my convenience so that we can ignore that my incompetent and repugnant petite bourgeois example was a horrible person who very obviously votes to class interest 100% of the time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

:ironicat:

I literally stated 0 policy positions either before or this time.

Just, you know, stop calling people incompetent and repugnant out of the blue because maybe they won't want to listen to you?

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2019

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

driving people away who would otherwise be on your side and maybe you want their money/time/votes

They want my money/time/votes. They aren’t willing to give me theirs because they aren’t interested in somebody else being in charge. The fact that an equally powerful block of full on regressives is standing right behind them is their favorite argument. “No we can’t fix the economic system but at least we smile friendly like at gay people and (respectable looking) minorities.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Just, you know, stop calling people incompetent and repugnant out of the blue because maybe they won't want to listen to you?

Nobody cares that your feelings are hurt, they’re calling you names because you have bad beliefs. If being nice were what gets the vote we’d have a very different political system.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You realize there are tools literally next to every post you make to show the context in which you shitpost about how Landlords Are Workers Sometimes?

Xand_Man posted:

Yall have some serious crab bucket mentality ITT

FWIW I got run off a few months ago for pointing out that not everyone renting property is necessarily making money on it and was informed that my friend (mother of 2 extricating herself from abusive marriage and splitting the income with said shitheel) was a bloodsucking parasite who swims in a vault of gold.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahki...s/#394989613cf8

There. That is your enemy. Getting pissed at the people one loving rung up the ladder because they are trying to get by in the same lovely system you are is dumb and counterproductive.

Your stance on policy is clear- and its very obviously aligned with your own class interest as well as the totally real and not massaged example you've given of this Friend's (ha) Mom incompetent and repugnant petite bourgeoisie landlord. Why should any worker care about the opinions about rhetoric by those violently opposed to it? Why must we consider the argument of an oppressor to be honest?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

We weren't even talking about me, but my (made up, strawman, massaged example) friend. Who I'm guessing is actually me projecting my petit bourgious ways? :psyduck: What is even real anymore?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Xand_Man posted:

I had a long effort post about how we all want the same things and I'm just pleading with you to understand that your rhetoric (not goals or policies) is driving people away who would otherwise be on your side
This is just physically not possible, because how we talk about things is itself policy. People who want the same things as me want good things and don't care about rhetoric. If they want good things and specific rhetoric, they want different things from me. If they care about rhetoric so much they will purposefully abandon good things in pursuit of rhetoric, I propose they are lying about wanting good things.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

One weird trick discovered by "Totally Not Just Me, but instead some long suffering Mom in Canada you've never heard of her" to extract rents while idly threatening to align with fascists when convenient!

The Secret? You're not actually good at it or even capable of doing good, so its somehow noblesse oblige to propagate the paternalist fantasy of owning the roof over someone else's head!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Xand_Man posted:

We weren't even talking about me, but my (made up, strawman, massaged example) friend. Who I'm guessing is actually me projecting my petit bourgious ways? :psyduck: What is even real anymore?

You did jump into a discussion that was winding down to argue for landlords. And while you say you are not talking policy, this discussion started over no-cause eviction rental termination. So by coming in late and arguing support for one side, it is assumed you support no cause eviction.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 23, 2019

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
What about renting to students? Is that also inherently evil? Right now the tenants are out-of-state students who aren't interested in buying in Portland but go to college here.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Christoph posted:

What about renting to students? Is that also inherently evil? Right now the tenants are out-of-state students who aren't interested in buying in Portland but go to college here.

Not sure how who the renter is should be considered when discussing if no cause eviction is a horrible thing or an important tool that landlords must have access to.

Unless this discussion has morphed into landlords good/bad in general? (If so, I have failed at reading)

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2019

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Drunk Theory posted:

Unless this discussion has morphed into landlords good/bad in general? (If so, I have failed at reading)

That's where I was wandering and I should stop. I was just curious how far the leftist dick-measuring would go.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Drunk Theory posted:

You did jump into a discussion that was winding down to argue for landlords. And while you say you are not talking policy, this discussion started over no-cause eviction rental termination. So by coming in late and arguing support for one side, it is assumed you support no cause eviction.

Really was just trying to express sympathy for Christoph/Junglist but yeah that's fair

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I make good money but only because I'm in a union. My wife, however, probably gets the guillotine.

Very much the same!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

That's where I was wandering and I should stop. I was just curious how far the leftist dick-measuring would go.

Wandering? You couldn’t find an argument in support of no-cause eviction (because it’s really not a position decent people can support) so you started beating hard on how hard landlords have it and how victimized they are by tenants. Just change the conversation to make yourself a victim and avoid dealing with the fact that you support a policy that has no purpose but to hurt people. You didn’t wander. You sprinted.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

My wife works w/ non-profits so it's about 50/50. I'm from a family brought low by circumstances so they'll probably just hole us up in a secluded gothic manor and send in a novelist every decade or so until we're all dead.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

xrunner posted:

Wandering? You couldn’t find an argument in support of no-cause eviction (because it’s really not a position decent people can support) so you started beating hard on how hard landlords have it and how victimized they are by tenants. Just change the conversation to make yourself a victim and avoid dealing with the fact that you support a policy that has no purpose but to hurt people. You didn’t wander. You sprinted.

The time period and expiration of a contract has no purpose but to hurt people. Got it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

The time period and expiration of a contract has no purpose but to hurt people. Got it.

I’m all ears if you’ve come up with a coherent reason to allow them other than “otherwise the landlord has to do more work sometimes”

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

xrunner posted:

I’m all ears if you’ve come up with a coherent reason to allow them other than “otherwise the landlord has to do more work sometimes”

I guess you want me to say "you're right, we should have actively evicted them"?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

I guess you want me to say "you're right, we should have actively evicted them"?

Yes. If a landlord has a reason to get rid of a tenant there are processes. Moving is expensive and disruptive and really if the only reason someone is moving is because the landlord doesn’t like them, or is retaliating for complaints, or finds them annoying, that’s not a justifiable reason.

Edit: Personal annecdote. My last landlord no-caused me because she wanted to give the house to her 20 year old son to use as a college party house. Now I was ready to move on anyway and was only staying out of inertia and had the resources to move well so even without no-cause I probably would have gone. But LOL if you think that’s a justifiable reason to ask a family to vacate a multi-bedroom home and what if my financial and personal situation had been more traumatic/barely hanging on?

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 23, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
But if they can't end the contract without reason they won't be able to jack up their prices and take advantage of this hot market!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Christoph posted:

A landlord having to work in the extraction of rents to justify the cause of eviction- because often the real reason behind it is being really really racist on top of being classist and trying to cycle through until you get a well-heeled white one- is well within the expectations of the public welfare and why the law is written, happy to inform you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Christoph posted:

Well ideally you would have notified them you had cause for eviction and negotiate a move out date, which could very well be the end of their lease. The thing you shouldn't do is say "I think landlords should be able to kick people out of their homes for literally no reason".

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

xrunner posted:

Yes. If a landlord has a reason to get rid of a tenant there are processes. Moving is expensive and disruptive and really if the only reason someone is moving is because the landlord doesn’t like them, or is retaliating for complaints, or finds them annoying, that’s not a justifiable reason.

You want us to do an eviction, which involves the sheriff's department, and remove them as opposed to letting an agreed upon contract expire? You think it's preferable to involve the pigs? Your leftist dick is short.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Christoph posted:

You want us to do an eviction, which involves the sheriff's department, and remove them as opposed to letting an agreed upon contract expire? You think it's preferable to involve the pigs? Your leftist dick is short.
Eviction only involves the sheriff's department if they disagree that you have cause for eviction, which is part of the reason we have the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Christoph posted:

Glad we got to the point where you've been informed and fully agree how the law is written to promote the public welfare and now you're forced to assume that the landlord has a right to enact state violence without due cause to slander others.