Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I play it pretty safe normally, since I am extremely tall and have had problems with my lower back in the past.

Normally I sit around 225 as a max because I typically only have one day a week for legs, and while I might not be pushing it at 225, it's still a significant amount of weight for me. Today, after I had done several leg exercises (this was about 45 minutes into my hour), I popped on my old max and was surprised that it didn't seem especially heavy (this might just be an effect of the creatine I've been taking for a couple weeks at least in terms of stamina or I wasn't really pushing myself, I dunno), so I tried 235, did three reps, added 10 pounds, did three reps, all in increments until finally I was like "welp, I'll try 275 as the cap." I managed a rep, went for a second and crapped out.

I'll give 265 a shot, maybe 270 if I'm feeling good at the time. I'm not trying to get hyooj, lifting just keeps me sane while I'm in school.

Ah ok that makes much more sense. Well great job the single though thats pretty drat good. You could probably get 5 at 265 for next time though I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its almost St. Paddies Day so its almost time to eat a lot of nitrate filled protein.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Chinatown posted:

Its almost St. Paddies Day so its almost time to eat a lot of nitrate filled protein.
My culture is not your prom dress

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

VorpalFish posted:

I actually kind of like taking big jumps for heavy single attempts just cause it conserves energy...

dont do that

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's how I felt when my gym replaced the 20lb ez curl bar with a 25lb one and I didn't notice for months.
This is a eureka moment post for me. Everything makes sense now.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

right? who knew there are gyms that replace equipment??

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Found a Jane Fonda workout tape; gonna be so sexy by the time summer comes around!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

dakana posted:

Did you guys know the Texas squat bar is 55lbs and not 45lbs? I sure didn't.

The Texas squat bar is literally forged in hell. That's what it feels like when the knurling tears through my flesh as I squat. It's also a foot longer than a regular barbell and if you aren't absolutely lined up dead center, you feel it when you squat.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Texas squat bar is literally forged in hell. That's what it feels like when the knurling tears through my flesh as I squat. It's also a foot longer than a regular barbell and if you aren't absolutely lined up dead center, you feel it when you squat.

It's a real power move to use it when the rack next to you is already pretty close though because you're like MOVE AWAY FROM YOUR BAR, I'M loving SQUATTING NOW.

Also this guy is trying to steal my gains by waking up every 3 hours during the night while his twin sister is like lol, gonna sleep for 9 hours, get your swole on.

Jokes on him, I'm using him to do static bicep curls

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Queuing for weigh ins and I've already heard limp bizkit and Korn

Never change, powerlifters

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Queuing for weigh ins and I've already heard limp bizkit and Korn

Never change, powerlifters

What if you're into old metallica, pantera... thrash, djent, you know. Who do you hang out with? 🤔

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i failed the 2nd rep of a 155 lb incline bench yesterday. i can probably hit like 215-225 for 2 on flat bench. is it just me or is that a pretty bad discrepancy?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a little weird. How's your press?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I did a crazy grinder max of 150 about 6 weeks ago, but since I swapped to training for a powerlifting meet, it's been on the back burner. I think it's just weak triceps, and maybe shoulders to a lesser degree. I do best on flat bench by accelerating the weight with my tits as much as possible to blast through mid range and lockout. I always have trouble locking out presses lately it seems.

My coach said this is good because when you find a big weak spot it'll really help my regular bench as we work on it. It was just weird and surprising failing that last night, I had to hip thrust the weight off my lap in front of everyone.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm a baby who hates tingles, but has already seen Creatine help me with just poo poo like sleeping and recovery. So, I'm looking for protein powder that will do protein things but not give me the Beta-Alanine tingles and poo poo.

product label

No added BCAAs, but naturally occuring ones - no BETA Alanine, but it has Alanine. I'm cool if I take this right?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Space Whale posted:

What if you're into old metallica, pantera... thrash, djent, you know. Who do you hang out with? 🤔

That one uncle everyone has? You know the one.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

That one uncle everyone has? You know the one.

ok but who does he lift with

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Space Whale posted:

I'm a baby who hates tingles, but has already seen Creatine help me with just poo poo like sleeping and recovery. So, I'm looking for protein powder that will do protein things but not give me the Beta-Alanine tingles and poo poo.

product label

No added BCAAs, but naturally occuring ones - no BETA Alanine, but it has Alanine. I'm cool if I take this right?

I've never heard of a protein powder having the tingly beta-alanine fwiw, it's always pre-workouts

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Space Whale posted:

ok but who does he lift with

He's more of a loner tbh

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i failed the 2nd rep of a 155 lb incline bench yesterday. i can probably hit like 215-225 for 2 on flat bench. is it just me or is that a pretty bad discrepancy?

If you don't train incline I don't think that's an unreasonable discrepancy. Incline is weird, especially if you force yourself to have a flat lower back (which I think you should, if you arch what's the point of doing incline?)

You probably just misgrooved that rep and can get 3-4 at 155 after a few sessions worth of practice

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I definitely felt horribly inefficient at the movement.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

doverhog posted:

He's more of a loner tbh

I want to give people big ole iron hugs and tell them how amazing it feels and have them do this with me.

Instead I have my GF calling me a tool for having supplements and getting pissy I have a chinup bar in a doorframe :smith:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Space Whale posted:

Instead I have my GF calling me a tool for having ... a chinup bar in a doorframe :smith:
she’s not wrong

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

if you arch what's the point of doing incline?

if you're set up is the same as your'e bench, then being on an incline bench will still give you the relative benefits of incline vs flat bench

otherwise just bench on a flat bench but do flat back bench

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

TenementFunster posted:

she’s not wrong

So, is that for not doing the chin ups at a gym, or what's the rationale here? Ruins the decor?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

turd in my singlet posted:

otherwise just bench on a flat bench but do flat back bench
yeah, flat bench no arch is going to be roughly the same as incline bench with arch so why would you do incline?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

she’s not wrong

Then where do I put it lol

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I can now jerk as much as I can ohp so... progress?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

yeah, flat bench no arch is going to be roughly the same as incline bench with arch so why would you do incline?

uh that's exactly my point?

if you flat bench with arch then incline bench with arch is going to be sufficiently different from flat bench with arch to cause interesting-enough adaptations to make it a worthwhile exercise

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

whats his name

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I was cleaning up my garage on Saturday and instead of unloading the bar I decided to clean it loaded with 2 plates up to the squat pegs on my rack so it would be ready Monday. I can press more than that and definitely row way more, so why not.

I've never seriously trained the motion.

Anyway after i bashed my sternum with the bar the center knurling raked down my abs and left a huge red mark. Through my shirt even.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep almost trying that. Thanks for the warning from the future

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

How could you ever jerk less than your overhead press though?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have a chinup bar in the doorway to my kitchen. Haven't used it in forever.

Was the first (successful) bit of workout equipment I ever bought. 9 or 10 years old now. Dozens of successful chinups.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sassassin posted:

Skill would be my guess. Don't dip n drive right the front leg doesn't go out and all the sudden there's a bar two inches from your head.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

dakana posted:

It's a real power move to use it when the rack next to you is already pretty close though because you're like MOVE AWAY FROM YOUR BAR, I'M loving SQUATTING NOW.

Also this guy is trying to steal my gains by waking up every 3 hours during the night while his twin sister is like lol, gonna sleep for 9 hours, get your swole on.

Jokes on him, I'm using him to do static bicep curls

I trained my 1 year old to climb on my back for pushups. Unfortunately she loves it way too much and will now pull me down to force me to do more

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

I'm an uncoordinated gently caress who pressed for over a year before ever trying a jerk.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

B-Rock452 posted:

I trained my 1 year old to climb on my back for pushups. Unfortunately she loves it way too much and will now pull me down to force me to do more

If I wasn't hugely concerned about the safety of it I would have already started doing weighted pullups while wearing one of them in a carrier. I'll just have to wait until they're old enough to hang on to me.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

I'm an uncoordinated gently caress who pressed for over a year before ever trying a jerk.

are you trying to jump directly into full split jerks? try push press then power jerks lol first, to learn the power generation part of the move. you can add the catch later, kinda like learning to power clean before you do a full squat clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Have you tried squat/power jerks or even just push presses as a midpoint between the two?