Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Annnd that's Relic #2

I think I'm loving done with actual relic bullshit for now unless Pagos light step gets significantly better come March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Basically it works like this:

NMs give pretty bad exp in Anemos until you're approximately on level with them. Your best bet is to just wait for weekly reset, do challenge log again to wind up somewhere around level 15ish, then ride the NM gravy train to 20. In Pagos and Pyros challenge log is next to worthless because NMs give so much loving exp that there's little reason to bother. It can be worthwhile to do challenge log in Anemos until you hit level 23-25 just so that you're eligible for the aethyrites in Pagos though.

Bottom line: The initial startup period sucks, but once you reach the point where you can just follow the train Eureka is pretty chill and even enjoyable. Also the Pagos light grind loving sucks.

it doesn't even seem worth doing the ashkin/sprites challenge log at all. they give the same amount of xp as the elemental enemies but are so much more work. normal enemies i can at least solo and don't only show up under certain conditions. guess i'll just gently caress off until tuesday and hope with the reset brings lots of other people who also need challenge log stuff. you know, given literally any of them will be around my level.

the onboarding for this is so miserable jesus. like i was warned that nobody likes it but i really wasn't expecting to have such an immediate disdain for this right out the gate. i can tolerate mindless grinds but there's really nothing mindless about it if you try to do anything alone

i don't even want to do anything beyond anemos i just want my anemos weapon lol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

so do i actually need to craft in this game or what

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

S.J. posted:

Nope! You can never touch crafting/gathering and still do everything of worth in the game.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Kaubocks posted:

kind of impressed how bad eureka is, actually

i'm level 9. i did the challenge log entries for the elemental enemies. from here my options seem to be:

1) kill ashkin to do that log entry. only show up at night, so you have to wait if you just aren't around at the right time. they have to be at your level. they will kill you even 1-on-1 and take over a minute to fight. do this 60 times for one level worth of xp.

2) kill sprites to do that log entry. only shows up ?????, so you have to wait for ?????. probably see above, i've never even seen one yet.

3) kill normal enemies for about 200xp a pop. oh poo poo this blistering speed

4) party up with nobody because everyone asking for parties in /shout is double my level

maybe i just have a complete fundamental misunderstanding of how to even get off the loving ground but what am i even supposed to do outside of wait for a week just to kill elemental enemies again? this challenge log xp absolutely isn't going to keep up at all and i feel like it's going to take weeks if not months just to hit 20

Do NMs till your log resets then or make a party in party finder with the specific purpose of doing those 2 logs. At level 9 you'll get decent Xp from most NMs in the zone and you'll catch up quickly - you also have access to all of the teleport locals now, and there is often somebody with a two seater mount to give you a ride anyway.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Kaubocks posted:

kind of impressed how bad eureka is, actually

i'm level 9. i did the challenge log entries for the elemental enemies. from here my options seem to be:

1) kill ashkin to do that log entry. only show up at night, so you have to wait if you just aren't around at the right time. they have to be at your level. they will kill you even 1-on-1 and take over a minute to fight. do this 60 times for one level worth of xp.

2) kill sprites to do that log entry. only shows up ?????, so you have to wait for ?????. probably see above, i've never even seen one yet.

3) kill normal enemies for about 200xp a pop. oh poo poo this blistering speed

4) party up with nobody because everyone asking for parties in /shout is double my level

maybe i just have a complete fundamental misunderstanding of how to even get off the loving ground but what am i even supposed to do outside of wait for a week just to kill elemental enemies again? this challenge log xp absolutely isn't going to keep up at all and i feel like it's going to take weeks if not months just to hit 20

I would recommend at least doing the ashkin log. Buy some eureka potions from the merchant in camp, it's crazy healing.

Sprites are annoying so yeah I could understand skipping them. Different types of sprites spawn in specific weathers.

This site is very handy. It's mainly used to track which NMs are eligible for spawning (they're on a 2hr cooldown and some are weather-dependent, either directly or because the mobs that spawn them are weather-dependent), but they also have some really nice maps that, among other things, show where and in what weather sprites spawn! Also where the quest destinations are.

I would still recommend shouting lfg and partying up anyway, you won't be hurting anyone else in the party and it'll help you survive (maybe someone in your party will even have a two-seater mount!)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

S.J. posted:

Not even a little bit no.

I love crafting but it's EXTREMELY optional.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thank god, i might get into it later (loving the free core game from Twitch right now) but i keep staring at these empty materia slots in my gear like i'm missing something important. Hopefully it's like every other mmo ever and i can just worry about that poo poo after I hit level cap

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kaubocks posted:

it suuuuuuuuucks rear end lol

You will be gratified to know that anyone who tells you it gets better is lying and has stockholme syndrome. Eureka never gets better than Anemos, though at periods previous to this patch it did manage to get worse before then rising back to the aspiring heights of completely mediocre and boring.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

Thank god, i might get into it later (loving the free core game from Twitch right now) but i keep staring at these empty materia slots in my gear like i'm missing something important. Hopefully it's like every other mmo ever and i can just worry about that poo poo after I hit level cap

There are materia melders in major cities/endgame hubs to fill those slots in for you.

Failing that, any goon with levelled crafters may meld materia for you, there's a right-click menu option on the other person to "Request Meld".

The only benefit that levelled crafters offer, aside from gil-making potential, is the ability to overmeld materia beyond the listed slots (some gear only, generally crafted/craftable, and never anything redeemed directly with tomes or dungeon drops) and the ability to over-repair your gear past 100%.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hydatos is unqualifiedly better, just because it's a rectangle with no loving death corridors and it's easy to get wherever you want. But at that point you've suffered through Pagos and the bad half of Pyros for 20 hours so it better have been loving good

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Crafting is practically an entire game by itself, which is weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that BA is fantastic for making gil right now. If you get into groups you can get lucky and get a million gil a run and if you'd doing Ozma clears you can get significantly more. I donno how long it'll last before the market collapses but I intend to ride it as long as I can.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pray for my aunt posted:

Nope! You can never touch crafting/gathering and still do everything of worth in the game.

a poster whose list of worthwhile things doesn’t include BIG FISHING, a shameful poster

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only big fish worth fishing are freakin' sharks.

With a spear.

While you're swimming in the water.

Without a cage.

Because that's BIG FISHING right there :colbert:

plesiosaurs don't count you can hook those.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of equipment do I need to get through the level 54 SAM quest? I'm using all my defensive abilities and I'm fairly certain I have my rotation right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That should be around 130 ilvl stuff, so if you have Augmented Ironworks or Sohm Al gear that should be all you need.

I don't remember the quest at all though so I can't offer any advice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FactsAreUseless posted:

What kind of equipment do I need to get through the level 54 SAM quest? I'm using all my defensive abilities and I'm fairly certain I have my rotation right.

The boat fight? Yeah that's a real fucker. Make sure you're using Merciful Eyes as much as possible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

The boat fight? Yeah that's a real fucker. Make sure you're using Merciful Eyes as much as possible.
I actually realized I had an old level 30 ring on because I'd forgotten to buy a non-Ironworks ring. I did that and spent my poetics, which wasn't a big increase over the starting SAM equipment but was something. It just sucks that the level 54 stuff is so expensive and has worse defense than the started SAM stuff. I got through it once I did that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think you have that at level 54. I ended up just leveling up to 56 and doing it then.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I had full non-augmented ironworks stuff for that and it was beastly. Had to use Second Wind a few times and a potion or two to squeak through it. Pretty sure I only got through it because I lost aggro on something at some point so I had time to heal up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The best part about Eureka are the multiple cutscenes where people discuss how to destroy Eureka, and then afterwards congratulate you on destroying eureka.

Naturally I took screenshots of every time because it never stopped being funny to me.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

pray for my aunt posted:

You will miss out on some of the best class questlines in the game. But aside from having to repair from a vendor rather than in instances it will not affect your combat classes in any way.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Spent all afternoon and evening getting Augmented Shire gear at level 60 and 61.

Did I waste all my time doing this, as I'm told I'll be replacing it in 4 levels at 65?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Spent all afternoon and evening getting Augmented Shire gear at level 60 and 61.

Did I waste all my time doing this, as I'm told I'll be replacing it in 4 levels at 65?

Yes. And you would get equivalent gear at 63.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

Is it red mage specific or just green stuff in dungeons?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Green dungeon drops, role based for the most part.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Level 63 my rear end, the gear with actual better stats don't show up until 65.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

You can also get 270+ gear crafted for basically no money by that level.

Kwyndig posted:

Level 63 my rear end, the gear with actual better stats don't show up until 65.

You could probably farm up an entire Shisui set from box drops and the bonus drop at the end in less time than farming all the popos from zero. Also, that gives you EXP, and a waifu.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Getting an entire set is probably overkill, but the augmented weapon has a pretty decent cost /benefit ratio I think.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

This is totally worth it. You'll hit 70 way before replacing it all unless you're leveling entirely from chain-running dungeons (rather than roulettes or MSQ).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Weapons are always the best first upgrade

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Augmented left side is a good benchmark, especially for tanks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really need to get some poetics for augmented shire pre-Shadow Bringers

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Augmented shire/ironworks will last you 5-10 levels on multiple jobs. It's always a good investment.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

Has anyone talked about how stupid and bad the construct 7 fight is?

Can we do so?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Can we do so?

:wrong:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Can we do so?

I'm genuinely curious what your problem is with that fight because of fights I'd call badly constructed that isn't really up there.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Can we do so?

every time you call something stupid and bad, it's actually reflecting on you so????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Can we do so?

Sorry you failed basic mathematics.