Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget the fairly easy magic ritual that allows you change another person's biological sex that Frats use to prank each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't have an issue with ancient rulebooks defaulting to "he", either, when most dumb technical books, manuals, and society writ large still hadn't seriously considered the problem with "default male".

Now this CTech sidebar..... it can go gently caress itself:

CthuluTech came out in 2007.

So this is the Rolemaster sidebar from 1980

I'm inclined to think both sidebars come from largely the same place of backlash against consciously changing how we use language in order to be more inclusive (the push to use "he/she" started in the 60s and 70s), but Rolemaster's is certainly less aggressive about it. Like trying to explain to a Boomer how they're being racist, vs trying to explain that to a gen x alt-righter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

fosborb posted:

I'm inclined to think both sidebars come from largely the same place of backlash against consciously changing how we use language in order to be more inclusive (the push to use "he/she" started in the 60s and 70s), but Rolemaster's is certainly less aggressive about it. Like trying to explain to a Boomer how they're being racist, vs trying to explain that to a gen x alt-righter.

For 1980 I would also believe "ah shoot, we should change that but I can't remember the Wordstar command for find/replace, just put in a sidebar". (for the record it's ^QF)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 23, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

fosborb posted:

I could go either way on RM being resistant or just bad at being progressive. The (still relatively small) number of proactive, adventuring women they inserted into Middle-earth was a frequent source of groggy tears back in the day. It and RM were still mostly typical trad fantasy games of the 80's, for sure, but in this one specific spot I think they might have been trying to be better.

Of course, they also called it "the War of Northern Aggression" in an alignment chart, so :lol:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 23, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
To answer the question about white wolf and assuming women played their games too. They'd made thqt shocking discovery by at least the werewolf 1st e core book so by 1991 if not earlier. I don't have any 1st e vampire books at home to confirm if they'd done it earlier. I do remember that felt somewhat transgressive in the 90s. Especially when in some books they'd even default to feminine pronouns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

I could go either way on RM being resistant or just bad at being progressive. The (still relatively small) number of proactive, adventuring women they inserted into Middle-earth was a frequent source of groggy tears back in the day. It and RM were still mostly typical trad fantasy games of the 80's, for sure, but in this one specific spot I think they might have been trying to be better.

One imagines it like the alt-right's losing of their minds over Captain Marvel. "You already HAD Wonder Woman/Eowyn and now you want ANOTHER one?"

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
A group of people of color freelance workers in the industry have essentially unionized and recently put forth a statement regarding their minimums required in order to be hired. I think it’s worth a read.

https://twitter.com/dungeoncommandr/status/1099453875487010816?s=21

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Meinberg posted:

A group of people of color freelance workers in the industry have essentially unionized and recently put forth a statement regarding their minimums required in order to be hired. I think it’s worth a read.

https://twitter.com/dungeoncommandr/status/1099453875487010816?s=21

Seven cents a word for any work paid by the word seems modest outside TTRPG-land and very high within.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I wonder if pay rates being so poor is just going to price themselves out of the industry. Which is certainly a problem, but one that is hard to overcome without rpgs exploding in profitability.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

moths posted:

Because in this industry that means anything from "wrong pronoun" to "led a transphobic harassment ring for a decade" and we're generally safer assuming it's worse.
That's literally is a type of abuse that Zak would use in regards to his normal tactics which is why I said that. Seriously gently caress that poo poo. I get where they were going with but the way they wrote just amounts to creepy emotional assault. Also, part of my response is just not wanting to deal with the defenders. I'd rather have teeth pulled out while conscious than explain LGBT+ 101 in tabletop at times.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 24, 2019

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

homullus posted:

Seven cents a word for any work paid by the word seems modest outside TTRPG-land and very high within.

It is, for example, more than I get.

Which is not to say that they don't deserve it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I wonder if pay rates being so poor is just going to price themselves out of the industry. Which is certainly a problem, but one that is hard to overcome without rpgs exploding in profitability.

If us nerds were willing to pay more than $9.99 for a pdf, profitability wouldn't be such a problem.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It is, for example, more than I get.

Which is not to say that they don't deserve it.

That’s sad.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah, the lame and most likely outcome of this is that either scabs fill their work or they just don't get any work

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

slap me and kiss me posted:

If us nerds were willing to pay more than $9.99 for a pdf, profitability wouldn't be such a problem.

:10bux: is 40 of my funny money! I feel that the problem lies that the standard of living has been dropping a lot for people and while the funko collector types have the money to spend a lot on TRPGS, a large amount of people, specially kids still in HS, can't.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Plutonis posted:

:10bux: is 40 of my funny money! I feel that the problem lies that the standard of living has been dropping a lot for people and while the funko collector types have the money to spend a lot on TRPGS, a large amount of people, specially kids still in HS, can't.

Sure, $40 is definitely some bones. How many hours of entertainment does a table get from a rulebook, cause you know that just one is being shared amongst the group and they're running a bunch of sessions (or an entire campaign) before moving on to the next thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In general I understand 10 dollars not being enough to support people on the very low sales rpg books make, but the problem is that the sort of person who is interested in non-D&D rpgs is also generally not in a great financial place to begin with. Honestly for most indie rpgs a patreon account a constant drip of new content is probably the most practical means to get money.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I definitely buy significantly more rpg pdfs than anyone I know personally, and even my roughly 10 to 20 bucks a week on my major hobby probably isn't enough to make a huge difference industry wide. Even getting my friends to buy the pdf of Dungeon World or other smaller games we played a lot was a huge chore.

I am very willing to spend 25 bucks on a nice core book from Onyx Path because I know the quality will be there, even if the game never sees the table. Likewise I was willing to grab the new WHFB pdf because I loved the older stuff and wanted to support the new edition.

New stuff that looks cool that I am not already familiar with? Much harder to justify taking a chance for that. That Song of Swords game looks interesting and I hear it is a nice looking book but being a new game from an unknown company I will wait for a sale to pick it up unless it starts getting rave reviews.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
And that might make sense for a consumer, but it's also why you've got people here saying they wish they made $0.07 a word.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terrible Opinions posted:

In general I understand 10 dollars not being enough to support people on the very low sales rpg books make, but the problem is that the sort of person who is interested in non-D&D rpgs is also generally not in a great financial place to begin with. Honestly for most indie rpgs a patreon account a constant drip of new content is probably the most practical means to get money.

What makes you think this? I mean, TRPGs are a cheap hobby in general, but what about non-D&D player makes you think they're more hand to mouth?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe it's just me being in with bad crowds, but it seems like all the engineer type with tons of disposable income type nerds are into D&D/Pathfinder/mainstream stuff; while all the people who play indie rpgs in my area and most of the people in these threads are always piping up about being poor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

And that might make sense for a consumer, but it's also why you've got people here saying they wish they made $0.07 a word.

Oh yeah, it would be great if the rpg world was bigger and could support more full time people. I have to assume 99 percent of RPG writing happens on the side of a different full time job that actually pays to support you. Unless you own one of the biggest companies or are incredibly prolific I don't see how making rpgs could be a job.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh yeah, it would be great if the rpg world was bigger and could support more full time people. I have to assume 99 percent of RPG writing happens on the side of a different full time job that actually pays to support you. Unless you own one of the biggest companies or are incredibly prolific I don't see how making rpgs could be a job.

I think it's a matter of charging more for good products.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maybe it's just me being in with bad crowds, but it seems like all the engineer type with tons of disposable income type nerds are into D&D/Pathfinder/mainstream stuff; while all the people who play indie rpgs in my area and most of the people in these threads are always piping up about being poor.

People who buy Funkopops=Critical Role Fans=5E playerbase

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That isn't the case with most products.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume it is like comics. Even though people into smaller stuff are generally more vocal about what they are into, the overwhelming majority of the industry (by sales certainly) is one or two companies period. If everyone was assigned an rpg at random from games people bought most people would still end up with D&D or Pathfinder.

If Paizo and Wizards of the Coast are 85% of the industry in sales like Marvel and DC are for comics, they might not be the industry but it is drat close.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's a matter of getting featured on a popular nerd podcast for an episode.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

People who buy Funkopops=Critical Role Fans=5E playerbase

:stare:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

It's a matter of getting featured on a popular nerd podcast for an episode.

Sure, marketing is hella important. So is charging an appropriate amount for the content.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sure, marketing is hella important. So is charging an appropriate amount for the content.

In what world does raising a price increase sales? I am sure most small publishers are charging as much as they dare already.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Quite frankly there are not enough customers for rpgs that aren't given a boost by something like critical role to support a human being working on them full time, no matter where they're priced.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Lord_Hambrose posted:

In what world does raising a price increase sales? I am sure most small publishers are charging as much as they dare already.

Right. My point is that this hobby needs to support a higher price point, not that it does currently support a higher price point.

Dtrpg is full of people who give games lovely reviews if they dare charge "too much per page" or whatever. It's not good for creators.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to shame people into paying more for rpgs on a large enough scale to support an industry. They either need a larger audience or to be properly subsidized by a functioning art endowment.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to shame people into paying more for rpgs on a large enough scale to support an industry. They either need a larger audience or to be properly subsidized by a functioning art endowment.

Sure, I, random voice on the internet am not going to be able to shame people into paying more. Doesn't mean that's not what the hobby needs though.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

That's only one of the two problems. The other problem is that RPGs cost next to nothing anyway. With one copy of Apocalypse World ($28 print/$15 pdf) I have enough material to run a dozen session campaign for half a dozen people repeatedly. My RPG shelf is way past the point where I won't even play half those games. D&D is in its way worse because the campaign will last possibly for years.

I'm not sure there's any potential for the RPG industry to ever be more than a cottage industry given how cheap it is to play. Which doesn't mean that professional RPGs doing professional stuff shouldn't pay professional wages and be able to support that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sure, I, random voice on the internet am not going to be able to shame people into paying more. Doesn't mean that's not what the hobby needs though.
I'm saying that in general people cannot be shamed into paying more for things even if they logically should. See attempts to get people to stop buying sweatshop products.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

neonchameleon posted:

That's only one of the two problems. The other problem is that RPGs cost next to nothing anyway. With one copy of Apocalypse World ($28 print/$15 pdf) I have enough material to run a dozen session campaign for half a dozen people repeatedly. My RPG shelf is way past the point where I won't even play half those games. D&D is in its way worse because the campaign will last possibly for years.

Right, that's why I'm saying these things should be priced higher.

I'm saying that in general people cannot be shamed into paying more for things even if they logically should. See attempts to get people to stop buying sweatshop products.

Okay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The audience for RPGs is almost entirely young people, who in this age typically have very little if not negative net worth, and zero qualms about piracy if they can't find what they like at an affordable price point.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I mean yeah we live in a capitalist hell of our own making but it doesn't mean people shouldn't try to change it? Whole lotta elfgames fatalism going on here in response to "people, specifically POC, are starting to demand more equitable conditions" which is... a common trend happening elsewhere and is seeing some success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Perhaps the industry needs to get some houserules.