Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Nvidia defaults should be fine. You may use an older Nvidia driver because of Apex issues, but Hitman had some kind of major GPU issue that required an Nvidia update so try using the most recent one for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

VelociBacon posted:

I wouldn't change that windows mode because IIRC it can prevent your CPU from ever throttling.
Yeah, set it back to balanced because it locks all CPU clocks at max.

ufarn posted:

Nvidia defaults should be fine. You may use an older Nvidia driver because of Apex issues, but Hitman had some kind of major GPU issue that required an Nvidia update so try using the most recent one for it.
I'm using latest available drivers, since I installed the board today and run DDU before swapping so I just downloaded the new ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, set it back to balanced because it locks all CPU clocks at max.

I'm using latest available drivers, since I installed the board today and run DDU before swapping so I just downloaded the new ones.

What's the CPU running at? Load wise.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, it's just Hitman by the looks of it. Fired up Witcher 3 and Metro Exodus and I'm hitting ~80% load on the gpu; if you google "hitman low gpu usage" you get a bunch of hits, so it's apparently A Thing (that never got fixed by the looks of it).

Sorry everyone, I'm Recent Purchase Paranoid :<

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry, not sure what binding means in this context. CPU usage is high, yeah, Hitman was reading 87% or so. Which RAM should I check, system or card? And how do I check that? =/

Binding means where the limiting factor in performance is. You're always going to be held back primarily by one particular bottleneck in your system.

You need to look at per-core CPU usage. If at least one is jammed at 100%, you're being held back by your CPU rather than your GPU.

CPU-Z is the easiest way to check your memory, look at the memory tab, make sure it's dual channel and the timings are matching the specs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man even the games the nvidia cards are bundling to try and sweeten the pot are trash, anthem and BF5

Well, theres still two months from now till I start building my new pc, hopefully prices drop or better games are offered

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

moot the hopple posted:

Thank you guys. One more question, so I get that you go in-store and use the code in order to hopefully get the actual 20 percent off coupon, but is that coupon then only valid for items in-store? It looks like the MSI 2080 is sold out at my local Fry's but still available online.

I just got back from Frys using the 20 percent off (thanks thread!) to grab a 2070. I'm not sure if you've gone yet but if you mention "SpotOnSaturday20" to the door greeter or show them the email they'll give you the coupon. It applies on the entire purchase and can only be used in store on the day that you get the coupon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Christ, if Micro Center ever offered a 20% off everything coupon you'd have to climb over the dead bodies to get to the registers.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Ezane posted:

I just got back from Frys using the 20 percent off (thanks thread!) to grab a 2070. I'm not sure if you've gone yet but if you mention "SpotOnSaturday20" to the door greeter or show them the email they'll give you the coupon. It applies on the entire purchase and can only be used in store on the day that you get the coupon.

Cool, thanks for the clarification

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Christ, if Micro Center ever offered a 20% off everything coupon you'd have to climb over the dead bodies to get to the registers.

Micro Center prices on things are already so cheap that west coasters cry about them. It was easier simply to give up some old tech in exchange for an east coast friend to send me one of those $99 R5 1600s than to try and find a good deal myself.

Fry’s isn’t really the same. Somewhere around the time software stopped being sold in boxes and phones started displacing laptops, they stopped trying very hard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Craptacular! posted:

Micro Center prices on things are already so cheap that west coasters cry about them. It was easier simply to give up some old tech in exchange for an east coast friend to send me one of those $99 R5 1600s than to try and find a good deal myself.

Fry’s isn’t really the same. Somewhere around the time software stopped being sold in boxes and phones started displacing laptops, they stopped trying very hard.

Yeah - it wasn't always that way, though. Micro Center used to be where one went to get something that Radio Shack didn't sell but you couldn't wait the 3-5 days to have it sent to you. Though I still remember when they had a thirty day return policy even on *opened software*.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1099413185008934912

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:thunk:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Its definitely not Pascal at the arch level, though. poo poo, its kinda not really Turing at the arch level either cause of the weird FP16 units.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

poo poo's bad when hot garbage like DLSS is being promoted as a cool new development, instead of, y'know, cards powerful enough to handle poo poo maxed at their native resolution without needing a hardware accelerated Topaz plugin to fake it

DLSS has been something asked for by ML researchers for a while now because if/when done right it will be a major game changer. Hardware is progressing but we're at a point where it will not be able to progress faster than algorithmic improvements. Right now we're at the highest we've ever been when it comes down to neural network development - the past few years have seen more advance in the field than people could imagine a decade ago. So when people started getting results like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjTPV2pXY0

It was pretty obvious that the next step would be to try to get some of that into games.

Given how insanely faster progress in that field is compared to improving hardware because of physical limitations, odds are very high that you will see more of that in the upcoming years.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Never buy products with suspicious names. The gainward 2060 piss sample's fan2 (or the controller, or something related to that) seems to be broken. Fan speed (%) stays even, but the rpm in fan 2 fluctuates. That is super extra annoying in addition to the already annoyingly loud fans.

Edit: the picture doesn't show up for some reason: https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/pics/gainward_gs_2060_fan_rpm.PNG

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elentor posted:

DLSS has been something asked for by ML researchers for a while now because if/when done right it will be a major game changer. Hardware is progressing but we're at a point where it will not be able to progress faster than algorithmic improvements. Right now we're at the highest we've ever been when it comes down to neural network development - the past few years have seen more advance in the field than people could imagine a decade ago. So when people started getting results like this:

It was pretty obvious that the next step would be to try to get some of that into games.

Given how insanely faster progress in that field is compared to improving hardware because of physical limitations, odds are very high that you will see more of that in the upcoming years.

Never buy the first generation of any technology. Get in on gen 2.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s the likelihood AMD gets their own version of raytracing and DLSS out? Both of these things seem like game changers when the technology matures. Is the technology eventually going to be standardized once it becomes commonplace? Did AMD ever get Physx or some equivalent?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

Facetiously, ask Logitech how the MX518 -> G400 -> G400s process went. =P

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ihmemies posted:

Never buy products with suspicious names. The gainward 2060 piss sample's fan2 (or the controller, or something related to that) seems to be broken. Fan speed (%) stays even, but the rpm in fan 2 fluctuates. That is super extra annoying in addition to the already annoyingly loud fans.

Gainward Golden Sample used to mean something. It was the first (I think?) 4200 factory overclocked to 4600 speeds. You could essentially get a 4600 which was 400 dollars at the time for 250 dollars. Gainward became obscure again after the 6800 I think when Nvidia separated their models with more than just clock speed changes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

What’s the likelihood AMD gets their own version of raytracing and DLSS out? Both of these things seem like game changers when the technology matures. Is the technology eventually going to be standardized once it becomes commonplace? Did AMD ever get Physx or some equivalent?

knowing amd, they'll make a weird trick nvidia hates that makes their gpus raytrace like hell at almost no performance penalty. hopefully they also make a weird trick that makes antialias perform real well so DLSS gets thrown out

and no, there's no physx equivalent, because accelerated physx is dead. games that try to be smart about particles and poo poo now just use gpu compute normally to do them.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Facetiously, ask Logitech how the MX518 -> G400 -> G400s process went. =P

i'd still be using my mx518 if g600 didn't exist lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 24, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

craig588 posted:

Gainward Golden Sample used to mean something. It was the first (I think?) 4200 factory overclocked to 4600 speeds. You could essentially get a 4600 which was 400 dollars at the time for 250 dollars. Gainward became obscure again after the 6800 I think when Nvidia separated their models with more than just clock speed changes.

Basically it should be a rebranded Palit. At least the coolers look the same and gpu-z's lookup button goes to this page: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/palit-rtx-2060-gamingpro-oc.b6604

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even then, that's *only* at PCIe 3.0 x8. x16 still has way more than enough overhead.
We (me and eddy) were talking about pcie3x16 vs pcie2x16 (which has the same bandwidth as pcie3x8), you'd be unlikely to accidentally end up with your GPU in the latter mode unless you have an ancient x79 chipset in your mothboard.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

FuzzySlippers posted:

If I've got a card that's significantly louder than it is supposed to be (based on reviews), is there anything to tinker with or is it just an RMA thing?

Download and install MSI Afterburner and 1) undervolt the card 2) set a different fan curve. It is easier than it looks and makes a difference of almost 10°C with my 1060 on load. People here can help too (or visit the overclocking megathread). Or just sent it back.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress, here's a clearer picture of the issue. Those fan tachometer graphs should be smooooth.. not spiky AF:

I tried driver removal with DDU and then 418.91 drivers. Also new 419.17 drivers. Didn't help at all. Please send help.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If it's a defective fan it needs to be RMA'd

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oof 5700 rpm

eames
May 9, 2009

very few GPU fans can hit such speeds, his must be a golden sample

on a more serious note good luck RMAing that. I had a card from Asus with similar issues and they kept sending me instructions asking to reinstall the fan control software/set a manual curve until I gave up because it wasn't worth my time.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

eames posted:

on a more serious note good luck RMAing that. I had a card from Asus with similar issues and they kept sending me instructions asking to reinstall the fan control software/set a manual curve until I gave up because it wasn't worth my time.

I bought it from a local pc parts store in Finland. The store is responsible for the RMA and handles the issue. I sent them an email asking if they have encountered similar issues before, and what they suggest to fix the issue.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

drat I just googled around and had no idea they span up that high. Welp.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

100% speed in afterburner is 3500rpm. So that is more like 160% speed.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Elentor posted:

It's not as if when you're rendering a game at 4K geometry that all the shaders effects are rendered at that res regardless. There's always been a mix of effects rendered at different resolutions in games to maintain performance. Does it look native? Then. It's. Good.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Last two gen's Gainward Phoenix/Palit GameRock were best in class coolers, but pictures of the 2060 one doesn't like anything like the 3slot brickhouse I remember fondly :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The only reason I bought it was the DVI connector :smith: Otherwise I'd haved ordered the Gaming Z from MSI.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sauer kraut posted:

Last two gen's Gainward Phoenix/Palit GameRock were best in class coolers, but pictures of the 2060 one doesn't like anything like the 3slot brickhouse I remember fondly :smith:

Ya, I thought the same.

Replacing this fury x tomorrow with a 2060, booking a day off work for metro exodus.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Craptacular! posted:

Yep, until they started giving anyone who cared a flat 20% off on their entire shopping cart. Now they're the best in the game, who would have thought.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was just lookin at some PCB shots and it certainly seems like the 1660 Ti's reference PCB is different than the 2070/2060 PCB, but retains the BGA pads for another 2 memory chips. In fact, even the partner modified 1660 Ti PCBs include the extra two pads. The partners also have clearly delineated spaces for a bigger VRM, but that could be for higher end 1660 Ti's I guess.

As far as I know, 1GB chips are the only ones really on the market for GDDR6, so it makes me think an 8GB 1660 Ti (or 1670?) is planned.

1660 Ti Reference PCB, Zotac partner board, MSI Partner board, 2060 Ref PCB, 2070 Ref PCB

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 24, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

buglord posted:

What’s the likelihood AMD gets their own version of raytracing and DLSS out?
100%
They already referred to it in the January Keynote. Dx12 and NVIDIA leave them no chance to avoid it anyway.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the moment I saw it and saw it depended on NVIDIA Drivers I was like "nope". I'm gonna wait a good while for that, even though I love everything about the technology.

I have nothing but respect for NVIDIA developers. They're super fast, nice, friendly and willing to help even the indiest of indies integrate their technology. They'll listen to feedback, exchange e-mails amicably and with no canned responses. Unfortunately, they're also held by the hyper-aggressive tactics from their upper management philosophy that most of the tech needs to be held hostage to NVIDIA cards and of course not all but most of said tech dies or is frozen in place until public solutions appear.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's not as if when you're rendering a game at 4K geometry that all the shaders effects are rendered at that res regardless. There's always been a mix of effects rendered at different resolutions in games to maintain performance. Does it look native? Then. It's. Good.

Yeah the majority of the shaders ignore your resolution completely or reduce it to half/a quarter/whatever it is needed. Then there are effects that are just voxelized into fixed values, and shaders that are performed on fixed convolution matrices. When you think about that, being able to defer the rendering to fixed convolution matrices is a godsend. We're at the start of something new and much like earlier 3D technology sucked, all this new stuff is going to suck but the possibilities are so huge they're basically reinvigorating research for technical artists again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone else having issues with Precision X1 not applying overclocks on startup? I have to manually apply them every startup (with an EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra). Kind of a pain in the rear end, is this fixed with the new version or has anyone heard anything?

MSI Afterburner doesn't allow me to adjust voltage on this card.