Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hate newspapers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What can be safely sold in Breath of the Wild?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The game.

But no seriously horns, things you cook, ingredients you know how to farm are all fine to get rid of.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This reminded me of the Bad Romance Potion Shop

https://twitter.com/fkajack/status/950824093502332929

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

It largely depends on what you value as a player. Gems and guardian parts have exclusive gear attached to them and they're helpful but not necessary Fairy fountain items are all pretty common or purchasable via various vendors with the exception of dragon parts and star fragments that are harder and more time consuming to get. 10 luminous stones can be traded for a diamond, but if you don't care about the special gear those 10 stones sell for more than a diamond. Monster parts can be exchanged with a specific vendor for special gear but you'll be swimming in monster parts and the exchange rate is very generous so don't be afraid to sell every goblin dick you're packing. Rushrooms (the purple mushrooms) are probably the one item I would hoard because there's a quest for a lot of them and you can't buy them, but there's a vendor for nearly every other ingredient including hard to find critters like darners and lizards.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished the 2018 Call of Cthulhu game, it was okay but there was very little reason for it to be a full price retail title since it didn't really do anything a bunch of indie games like SOMA or Observer hadn't already done.
It was also the least imaginative portrayal of the mythos since the CoC (heh) game on the Xbox

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried Tetris 99 for about 3 hours and only got in the top 10 3 times. By that point the blocks were falling so fast I could barely play, let alone contend with garbage blocks sent by other players.

How exactly do garbage blocks even work? I don't get why sometimes clearing a line gets rid of them while other times it doesn't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried Tetris 99 for about 3 hours and only got in the top 10 3 times. By that point the blocks were falling so fast I could barely play, let alone contend with garbage blocks sent by other players.

How exactly do garbage blocks even work? I don't get why sometimes clearing a line gets rid of them while other times it doesn't.

For countering garbage particularly, I believe you remove an incoming line of garbage when you clear a line yourself. However once the blocks turn red you're out of time to counter them and they're coming on your board regardless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Garbage blocks are put into a queue and drop after a countdown that is quicker the fewer players are left. If you get garbage from multiple players, each are on a separate countdown and will wait their turn.

Them being red or glowing doesn't matter and you can clear them if they are active. However, grey blocks in the queue are waiting their turn and will not be affected

Edit: I'm not actually sure about not affecting more than one attack, I think if you have targeted Attackers you will affect all current queued garbage maybe

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 24, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The best thing to sell are gems. You may need some of them for other purposes but you will get way more of all of them than you need. So keep some number in reserve if you're worried but otherwise that's the best way to never have money problems.

Monster parts you have enormous numbers of can be good to sell in a pinch as well. There is another generic use for trading in monster parts though.

The one thing not to sell are guardian parts.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 24, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

The one thing not to sell are guardian parts.

That means the “Ancient _______” stuff?

Thank you everyone for the answers! This game is amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

That means the “Ancient _______” stuff?

Thank you everyone for the answers! This game is amazing

Yeah, you need surprisingly large amounts of some of them and the large cores in particular are among the rarest items in the game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

Gems are only used for making and upgrading jewelery and for the final upgrades on some of the more useful gear. You don't need a lot of them for the upgrades and the jewelry isn't really quite as good as regular helmets. You should sell a bunch of them. Stamp talus locations so you have an idea of where to go should you need more.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Here's what worked really well for me:

If you can, save up about 2000-3000 rupees to get the cold weather outfit from the Rito village. The head to the chilly northwest province. The animals there drop high quality meat that when cooked into a five piece kebab can be sold for hundreds of rupees. Just exploring the area and hunting what I ran into I made thousands of rupees.

e: There's actually a bowling minigame there also that pays well. 500 rupees for every strike I think.

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I like the Greece levels of Tomb Raider Anniversary a lot more than the Peru ones. The areas are much more impressive and the puzzles feel much more logical. The four god rooms especially were super cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

0% damage increase for 0 seconds. Stacks to 0.
Highest tier item, takes 100 hrs to get the mats to craft and the randomizer will gently caress you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Must be going for the Korean market

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Did Lost Kingdom have a Moonlight card I always got stuck halfway through that game and gave up.
Nope. As far as obscure From games, Evergrace does and has a very satisfying Shadow Tower reference though.

what a delightful day to have a blessing!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

0% damage increase for 0 seconds. Stacks to 0.
Highest tier item, takes 100 hrs to get the mats to craft and the randomizer will gently caress you.

There's a tier above that and also those kinds of things start dropping randomly before you even hit max level.

That said Anthem's itemization is both more boring than I expected and bugged all to hell

They have a bunch of components (basically equivalent to armor) that are universal to any kind of mech suit, and then a handful that are specific to each suit, but because of the way health and shields are balanced you're straight-up required to use the suit-specific ones or you won't have poo poo for health/shields. But because there's only one masterwork version of each component and they're unique (you can't have two of the same component) there's basically no build variety at all--you want a full set of masterwork suit-specific components or you get shredded at endgame.

So the only real variety is what guns you use and which two abilities you equip and even those aren't actually that interesting so... yeah, there's a lot of work to do if they want to salvage this thing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 24, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Itemization that does not change the look of your character in a loot-based game is unforgiveable imho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished the 2018 Call of Cthulhu game, it was okay but there was very little reason for it to be a full price retail title since it didn't really do anything a bunch of indie games like SOMA or Observer hadn't already done.
It was also the least imaginative portrayal of the mythos since the CoC (heh) game on the Xbox

my hope is frogwares's upcoming cthulhu game is good, but it's been delayed once again so signs are not so good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
daemon x machina is superior to anthem because getting a basic upgrade that lets you run 10% faster also chops off your legs and replaces them with robot legs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Itemization that does not change the look of your character in a loot-based game is unforgiveable imho.

I think it's okay as long as there are cosmetic options you can also get by playing. If there's no transmog system people would just complain about that, and if there is people would just transmog their gear, so ultimately it doesn't bother me if your gear is totally divorced from how your suit looks.

They are adding cosmetics that you only get from chests at the end of dungeons, which is good, but they might only be limited to vinyls (painted-on patterns) and emotes and not actual armor pieces, no idea on that one yet.

That said if I had a choice I'd prefer it the way you're talking about it, where each component is an actual armor piece on your suit that changes how it looks. I can see why they didn't bother to do but I'd have liked it if they did.

The Colonel posted:

daemon x machina is superior to anthem because getting a basic upgrade that lets you run 10% faster also chops off your legs and replaces them with robot legs

Wait aren't you already piloting a robot in that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harrow posted:

Wait aren't you already piloting a robot in that?

If the mech is blown up your character ejects and can fight on foot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

If the mech is blown up your character ejects and can fight on foot.

Oh okay. I should try that demo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I've concluded that Hollow Knight's platforming is not for me and the combat is only okay (again for me) but the exploration and atmosphere are going to carry it. I feel like I'm probably about halfway done maybe? Despite being wildly out of practice with this sort of game I haven't really been having any trouble so I should be able to complete it without much issue

Hollow Knight owns but it really makes you work for anything less than the easiest ending, and the DLC is almost entirely boss rushes and super-bosses (and one bonkers platforming challenge). I'd say try to get the good ending of the base game and see if you feel like engaging with the bonus content after that, I thought a lot of it was too tough at first but after a little practice I've been able to complete most of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

I think it's okay as long as there are cosmetic options you can also get by playing. If there's no transmog system people would just complain about that, and if there is people would just transmog their gear, so ultimately it doesn't bother me if your gear is totally divorced from how your suit looks.

While transmog is cool for when you eventually get bored of your character's look, I think Anthem totally divorcing it from droppable components, which do not even have specific models and are just numbers on a stat sheet (that doesn't exist), is dumb as heck. Part of the thrill of getting a great drop is that very first time you equip it and see some sick-nasty model that looks 1,000x better than whatever lame piece of poo poo you were carrying before. This is something that all ARPGs inherently understand, from Diablo to Phantasy Star Online to Monster Hunter to Borderlands. Great loot = looks cute.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another baffling thing about Anthem is that it's a loot game with a bunch of fiddly stats that can randomly roll on gear and absolutely no way to look at your character's overall stats. None. So you can have a bunch of gear with stacking bonuses and the only way to figure out what it all adds up to is to manually look at each piece of gear you have equipped and add it up yourself.

exquisite tea posted:

While transmog is cool for when you eventually get bored of your character's look, I think Anthem totally divorcing it from droppable components, which do not even have specific models and are just numbers on a stat sheet (that doesn't exist), is dumb as heck. Part of the thrill of getting a great drop is that very first time you equip it and see some sick-nasty model that looks 1,000x better than whatever lame piece of poo poo you were carrying before. This is something that all ARPGs inherently understand, from Diablo to Phantasy Star Online to Monster Hunter to Borderlands. Great loot = look cute.

That could be a downside of The Division 2, as well, where most of the gear is a pretty small part of what you look like. Maybe the most visible part is your backpack. Everything else is either small (gloves, knee pads), usually invisible (mask), or covered up by your outerwear (vest). Though I guess with The Division 2 taking place in the summer there might be fewer big coats covering up your vest this time.

Though you do also get cosmetic items that drop as normal random loot in The Division.

Also I thought your gear didn't change how you look in PSO or Borderlands? I mean you'd get cool-looking weapons I guess but I remember your character's outfit at least being something that you set on your own that didn't change with gear.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 24, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In the original PSO you could customize your character's outfit but their MAG, bracer, weapon, and certain armor effects could all be affected by item drops. The super-rare MAG models were worth their weight in gold and had some of the highest trade values of anything in the game, assuming you played legit, which of course almost nobody did on Dreamcast. drat, PSO was so good and twenty years later it STILL has more robust character creation than many games out today. Once the ??????? RED BOX got its hooks in me, it never let go!

The Division's cosmetic flair is held back by its more grounded setting, in fact that's one of my biggest problems with the game. Oh man, a rare wool scarf. Hard to get excited over that when in some equivalent game you could be setting your head on fire.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ace combat 04 is cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

ace combat 04 is cool

I love that framing story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love that framing story.

yeah i was worried i wouldn't be as into the writing of the later games as i was with ac3 but so far 04 is doing cool stuff with its narrative

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

All lootgames should have cosmetic appearance separate from game play bonuses

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

ace combat 04 is cool

good dog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The AC04 framing story is very good.

That guitar song...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That dog comes back too for Ace Combat 7.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXEMRGl-Rlg

I said come in! posted:

That dog comes back too for Ace Combat 7.

Ace Combat 5's dog was the best though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FmuNsucnY&t=25s

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 24, 2019

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m finally playing Celeste and it’s good. I also grabbed Wargroove but I haven’t tried that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone picking up Dirt Rally 2.0 tomorrow?