Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

just ban the loving card, it was a mistake

they did!...in the format where it being a foil doesnt matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes please ban Nexus so I can get a paper copy or two on the cheap TIA

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
With no standard MCs for at least four or five months, the only announced streamed GP being Modern and it already being banned in the only announced Arena event I can see them just riding it out till rotation.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tainen posted:

With no standard MCs for at least four or five months, the only announced streamed GP being Modern and it already being banned in the only announced Arena event I can see them just riding it out till rotation.

It will be legal until Core 2020 comes out right? The next MC is Modern so I guess it won’t matter as much, but still seems terrible and if the deck gets anything else in the next set, yikes.

I’ve been playing a long time and people always complain about a card being too powerful and most of the time it’s not an issue. I think the much bigger problem is a card that creates a repeatedly unfun gameplay experience, and Nexus is somehow worse than Teferi Emblem decking and really shouldn’t exist in standard.

E: the core sets used to be legal with each other for a brief window, that’s no longer the case right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gently caress yeah, LSV

Too bad he's running into Nexus next round, which he said his deck has a terrible matchup against

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Marketing New Brain posted:

It will be legal until Core 2020 comes out right? The next MC is Modern so I guess it won’t matter as much, but still seems terrible and if the deck gets anything else in the next set, yikes.

I’ve been playing a long time and people always complain about a card being too powerful and most of the time it’s not an issue. I think the much bigger problem is a card that creates a repeatedly unfun gameplay experience, and Nexus is somehow worse than Teferi Emblem decking and really shouldn’t exist in standard.

E: the core sets used to be legal with each other for a brief window, that’s no longer the case right?

rotation happens with the fall set, so Nexus is legal until the set after Core 20 releases

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

gently caress yeah, LSV

Too bad he's running into Nexus next round, which he said his deck has a terrible matchup against

esper guy seems to be winning instead of nexus guy

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whats the win ratio on Nexus decks at this tournament? Seems like a lot of people are filling diapers over a deck that isn't overperforming.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

fadam posted:

Whats the win ratio on Nexus decks at this tournament? Seems like a lot of people are filling diapers over a deck that isn't overperforming.

It had the best conversion rate of any highly played deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/mythic-championship-i-day-two-metagame-breakdown-2019-02-23

Of 71 Nexus players, 51 made day 2 for a 71.8% conversion rate, though that doesn't consider how those players did in draft.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

fadam posted:

The deck is very strong, but if you read the comments about the card you’d know it isn’t because it is too good or powerful in terms of win rate. It promotes bad gameplay and has physical and digital issues.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Simic Nexus is a cool and good deck.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Love control players getting a taste of their own medicine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/mythic-championship-i-day-two-metagame-breakdown-2019-02-23

Of 71 Nexus players, 51 made day 2 for a 71.8% conversion rate, though that doesn't consider how those players did in draft.

I don’t think draft would be a significant contributing factor unless all the Nexus players just happened to be above average drafters too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
for a second thought that was a 26/26 hydra because of wotc's dice choice

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t think draft would be a significant contributing factor unless all the Nexus players just happened to be above average drafters too.

I mean, they will release the constructed records separately. It’s definitely happened that certain decks were over/under represented day 2 due to limited records. Day 2 conversion isn’t a worthless stat but actually seeing what decks went 6-2 or better is much more informative.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
It was undefeated day1 in standard not sure what more you need to know.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
LSV v Reid 2019MC1 finals cmon

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

moush posted:

It was undefeated day1 in standard not sure what more you need to know.

Because it could be a massive outlier. Last PT Mono U had one undefeated deck day one I believe and the archetype had a below 50 percent win rate iirc. Mono White also had a huge number of players go 6-0 in limited and put more copies in to the top 8 than it should have, and was notably underrepresented in the top 32.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cynic Jester posted:

LSV v Reid 2019MC1 finals cmon

Phoenixes against Control seems good, and if LSV does take it down we'll have LSV vs Reid or LSV vs Autumn, and also Ikawa seems fine so any outcome is fine as long as it doesn't involve lots of mulligans.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
“If I win, it will be because I got lucky and you can quote me on that.”

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Boco_T posted:

“If I win, it will be because I got lucky and you can quote me on that.”

to be fair, 30% chance this is LSV being a goofball

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
i mean if his phoenixes consistently end up in the bottom third of his deck it'll be hard for him to win, so reversing that logic makes his statement sorta check out

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ikawa is running 2 maindeck Cry of the Carnariums which is rough, but no maindeck Kaya and only one in the board plus no additional Crys makes me thing the Phoenix isn't particularly disadvantaged, and after board Luis can go in a lot of different directions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Ikawa is running 2 maindeck Cry of the Carnariums which is rough, but no maindeck Kaya and only one in the board plus no additional Crys makes me thing the Phoenix isn't particularly disadvantaged, and after board Luis can go in a lot of different directions.

The worst card for LSV in this matchup is the 5 mana black saga.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The worst card for LSV in this matchup is the 5 mana black saga.

It seems exceedingly dangerous for Ikawa to tap out for a five mana edict against a Phoenix deck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you have a list? Part-replying to make this easier to find tomorrow, guess it's on the stream?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1677452#paper

I want it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lone Goat posted:

to be fair, 30% chance this is LSV being a goofball

The Esper Matchup seems very rough. But LSV is by far the better player...

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
#TeamMonkeyDog

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Did LSV tech the spyglass in against white weenie?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
mad respect for Reid Duke and Gabriel Nasif for just calling it the Pro Tour and daring anyone to correct them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well this game is over...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Beating mono-U on the play is tough. Beating it in the mirror looks almost impossible.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/21-23-match-point-decklists-2019-02-24

It looks like Nexus was a very successful Standard deck. I'm not going to count while the games are going on, but it might be the top performing majorly represented archetype.

Edit: oops, this is actually the top performing decks: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/7-30-and-24-26-match-point-decklists-2019-02-24

Nexus only has 3, it was fine but not the best. Mono U was the best, which isn't shocking given how much of the field was Sultai and Nexus.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 24, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow that game was a slaughter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, do they not sideboard for game 2?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, do they not sideboard for game 2?

Sideboard 3-5.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/21-23-match-point-decklists-2019-02-24

It looks like Nexus was a very successful Standard deck. I'm not going to count while the games are going on, but it might be the top performing majorly represented archetype.

Edit: oops, this is actually the top performing decks: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/7-30-and-24-26-match-point-decklists-2019-02-24

Nexus only has 3, it was fine but not the best. Mono U was the best, which isn't shocking given how much of the field was Sultai and Nexus.

Adding those two lists together there were 13 nexus decks in the top 76 standard records.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the mono blue mirror seems like an incredibly uninteresting matchup preboard and a fairly interesting matchup postboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
This game three is great. Both players are playing amazing.

edit: Great game. Well deserved win.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 24, 2019