Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I hope you got paid $400k/year

my employment history was best described as "it's complicated" until quite recently, so let's say I got paid with not being fired. one of several points when I should have just quit that awful job

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

in a sense that was successful cuz I never fell into the trap of trying to use it (I have fixed minor bugs in existing grails poo poo)

no such luck. I had the honor of rewriting a php application in grails. at the time, I had about three weeks of experience with php, combined, and a couple days in grails, both in long outdated versions. it turned out fine and, as far as I know, it's still in production like a decade later. all that effort and I still feel I know poo poo all about grails, because it was that shaky and unpredictable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

gonadic io posted:

plus just in terms of laziness of programming, gc has very little advantage over rc. sure rc might leak memory if you have cycles, and has a possible bigger runtime cost (although it's more predictable).

trufax when rust did have a runtime and a built in Gc (nee @) ptr, it was implemented internally as just a Rc - the runtime handled reference loops for you but that was the only difference between them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
with this and the windows internals bits i nominate hackbunny for "shittiest time had touchin computers for a livin" award

if you're ever in the bay area peninsula i'll buy you a beer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

good point.

it's hard to imagine making RC any easier, but you could definitely make dealing with interior mutability and synchronization within an RC a lot easier. essentially thinking monad transformers.

you could maybe implement an enum that could opaquely be one of an (A)Rc<(Mutex|RefCell|etc)<T>> but expose essentially the same semantics as an owned T.

honestly i think what you're really asking for is a language that has the fundamental safety guarantees of rust together with rust's potential to drop down to very precise ownership rules when it matters but which doesn't loving rub ownership in your face for literally everything all the time oh my god i don't really care right now if i'm introducing extra value copies i just want my loving code to compile

that's the general direction we'd like to take swift, but i have to add three caveats: first, we're not there and maybe won't be for years (w.r.t allowing really straightforward and precise ownership control); second, i think we'll be aiming to guarantee thread-safety if you stay within the idioms but i don't know if we'll be able to lock it down as hard as rust does; and third, i don't know that we'll ever call out unsafe code as hard as rust does

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

bob dobbs is dead posted:

with this and the windows internals bits i nominate hackbunny for "shittiest time had touchin computers for a livin" award

well, grails was a respite from writing C++ for symbian os (s60 3e) [I'll have to post about it some time]
which was a marked improvement over writing thunderbird extensions in javascript and xul

no regrets though, I loved everything I worked with (even grails, sometimes, at least for the challenge of getting something done in it) and I loved working in so many different environments - which later included asterisk pbx, ios, a little linux, android, wpf (ironically I never wrote any native windows code)

except I realize few developers can be so flexible (my coworkers definitely weren't), and I was seriously underpaid. the depressed are so easy to exploit

new job has an office in california so it's not impossible :)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

:same: but Prague.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Xarn posted:

:same: but Prague.

or NYC

beers for you all over the world

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

would cross into san mateo county to do the same

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i started messing with prolog for the first time because i've been considering trying to contribute to chalk (https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/chalk) and wow.

i understand at a high level what logic programming is but actually doing it is another matter. very mind expanding meme

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Prolog is the reason why I can do C++ TMP.

Now if C++'s type packs didn't have lovely syntax...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i started messing with prolog for the first time because i've been considering trying to contribute to chalk (https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/chalk) and wow.

i understand at a high level what logic programming is but actually doing it is another matter. very mind expanding meme

i had to learn some baby amount of prolog for a class in school, and even that tiny stuff made several galaxy brain explosions go off between my ears

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
you guys are idiots. hack bunny is in Italy and we should be organizing gooncon Roma asap

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

jit bull transpile posted:

you guys are idiots. hack bunny is in Italy and we should be organizing gooncon Roma asap

sadly i am no longer in a company that includes 3x paid trips to italy a year.

although i didn't really like cagliari, and the trip was to the office to work so it wasn't that great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i had to learn some baby amount of prolog for a class in school, and even that tiny stuff made several galaxy brain explosions go off between my ears

prolog is the one where u don’t code the solution but instead the problem and it works it out for you? surely computers aren’t that brainy

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

prolog is the one where u don’t code the solution but instead the problem and it works it out for you? surely computers aren’t that brainy

in practice I feel like you have to be very aware of HOW prolog will search for the answer. if not, even if you express the problem "correctly" it's possible prolog will search through a superdumb way and never return any answers in a realistic amount of time.

so much like SQL it's not really as declarative as expected

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

echinopsis posted:

prolog is the one where u don’t code the solution but instead the problem and it works it out for you? surely computers arent that brainy

the building blocks of prolog is first-order logic statements and queries. you have to supply all of the definitions and logic for a particular "problem" before the parser will even try to start working on it. if you fire up a parser and ask ?- good_poster(echinopsis) (i.e. is echinopsis a good_poster) it will just yell at you and say "you haven't defined good_poster, and who hte heck is this echinopsis?"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
computers amiright?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
the only time I ever used prolog after learning it in school was when I prototyped an algorithm in it before doing a real implementation and it was so loving useful in figuring out stuff id forgotten to address

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm still not clear on what prolog claims as it's benefit. it seems like you have to specify so much that by the time you've defined all your facts you could answer whatever query you were gonna do yourself with your meatbrain

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it’s good for defining some goals and constraints and then having computer buddy figure out the solutions. I mean sure for any given constraint you could just write your own exhaustive search thing but then you’d want to generalize it and

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

I'm still not clear on what prolog claims as it's benefit. it seems like you have to specify so much that by the time you've defined all your facts you could answer whatever query you were gonna do yourself with your meatbrain
almost as if theres no silver bullet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

and now every goon in yospos will rush in to insist they too know prolog because in nerd land the worst thing in the world is to admit you lack some piece of knowledge that others posess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it blurs the lines between a database, a constraint solver, and a programming language, while presenting an interactive query interface

it's not magic or anything

but there are problems where it's really handy to muck around with this poo poo all in one toolbox

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

computers amiright?

yeah, you're right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

and now every goon in yospos will rush in to insist they too know prolog because in nerd land the worst thing in the world is to admit you lack some piece of knowledge that others posess

all i know about prolog came from that old timey textbook about implementing prolog in common lisp, which was fantastically cool and also really loving hard given my limited c.s. knowledge (then and now)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i know nothing about prolog and don't have a desire to based on your posts

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it blurs the lines between a database, a constraint solver, and a programming language, while presenting an interactive query interface

it's not magic or anything

but there are problems where it's really handy to muck around with this poo poo all in one toolbox

yeah, it's just every demonstration I've seen of it could be done just as easily by writing all your facts and constraints in a notebook and then staring at them for 5 minutes.

I guess it's just one of those really narrowly applicable tools.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

this, but also, not, in order to prove you wrong

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah, it's just every demonstration I've seen of it could be done just as easily by writing all your facts and constraints in a notebook and then staring at them for 5 minutes.

This is true of most algorithms though.

Prolog is just the embodiment of a search/constraint/pattern algorithm turned into a language, so for any of these it can be pretty drat good at it. It also came by in the context of 80s AI. Mercury is a newer attempt that also incorporates full static analysis and purity analysis on top of old style prolog rule engines, though the only maintainer I personally knew is now fiddling with GC in javascript for Mozilla.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

you can write a web server with it

it might not be very good at it, but still

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 25, 2019

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

carry on then posted:

every nerd is just waiting for a chance to explain something to a woman that didn't need to be explained

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I feel like the SQL comparisons are a bit misleading, I'd say it's closer to something like Verilog or VHDL, but instead of hardware nets you're building logic-based ones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

well the demos are demos. they have to be simple enough to fit in the demo

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Private Speech posted:

you can write a web server with it

it might not be very good at it, but still

Well it's interesting if you consider things like routing paths to handlers. Whereas in most servers/frameworks you'd need to figure out a data structure and then a way to search through them efficiently by mapping URL path fragments in the right order, in Prolog you just declare them and the language runtime figures out the rest for you.

In practice you may have to be careful with cuts to make sure only one handler is returned when multiple could match but welp.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all i know about prolog came from that old timey textbook about implementing prolog in common lisp, which was fantastically cool and also really loving hard given my limited c.s. knowledge (then and now)

SICP?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hackbunny posted:

new job has an office in california so it's not impossible :)

:cheers:

SF Bay Goon Meet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

aardvaard posted:

every nerd is just waiting for a chance to explain something to a woman that didn't need to be explained

actually,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigms-Artificial-Intelligence-Programming-Studies/dp/1558601910

surprisingly it is still in print. i guess some things never go out of style

this is an insane amount of fun but also an insane, straight-up vertical difficulty curve. i have never fought a book so hard before or since

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

:cheers:

SF Bay Goon Meet

sf bay goon meet sgtm

you get to see my distressingly young-lookin fat face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigms-Artificial-Intelligence-Programming-Studies/dp/1558601910

surprisingly it is still in print. i guess some things never go out of style

this is an insane amount of fun but also an insane, straight-up vertical difficulty curve. i have never fought a book so hard before or since

oh man I never really checked this book specifically but I know Norvig is awesome