Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My great grandma who would give me a $2 every year for my birthday wrote the Z backwards on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

American McGay posted:

My great grandma who would give me a $2 every year for my birthday wrote the Z backwards on the card.

Your great grandma spells birthday with a z?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

lol if you haven't gone down to your local machine shop and had them CNC mill you a new Switch enclosure out of solid aluminum.

Thanks for joining the Something Awful forums, Mr. Larry Ellison.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's a shame Dark Souls is so dead online but man it's good to be playing a Souls game again. I missed that overwhelming sense of dread and isolation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

It's fake.

https://twitter.com/jeffthatnoise/status/1099781920202809344

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No poo poo idiot, lol.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nothing is pure in this world

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's fake.

Thanks, dude!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lol if you actually believed that

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Bamboozled again

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Why would someone even go to the effort to fake something which is so easy to verify?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Original_Z posted:

Why would someone even go to the effort to fake something which is so easy to verify?

It’s a joke

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Original_Z posted:

lmfao. This thread will never stop amazing me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

KingSlime posted:

It's cool that you know what you like but you should probably know that souls games are more or less metroidvania/Zelda games and are nothing at all like what you're describing

There's zero grinding for one, it's just you exploring awesome hosed up ruined fantasy worlds and beating bosses to check out new areas. Combat is very pattern based, think classic Castlevania or even mega man (but melee vs guns) in a 3d space.

poo poo owns hard

Souls games are definitely not like Metroidvania/Zelda games.

For one thing, absolutely no usable item or weapon in the game is mandatory (I know this is 100% true for Dark Souls 1, and I'm pretty sure it's true for 2 and 3). You can get to every mandatory area and most optional ones as a level 1 naked rear end piece of zombie jerky.

Whereas one of the defining tropes of Metroidvanias and, to a lesser extent, Zelda games, is that acquiring new weapons/items/power ups opens up new areas to explore.

Edit:

Frankston posted:

It's a shame Dark Souls is so dead online but man it's good to be playing a Souls game again. I missed that overwhelming sense of dread and isolation.

I thought someone in this very thread said the online for DkS was still pretty active?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My name is Cleaveland Z
And I am proud to be
Right back in my home T
With my new family

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Darksouls is like every game dont fight it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Real hurthling! posted:

Darksouls is like every game dont fight it

I really need it on my Switch. I miss it so much.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Original_Z posted:

You’re just mad that these poser Zs are muscling in on your brand.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I want to shove Smashboy up my rear end.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I want to shove Smashboy up my rear end.

Hero.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oscar Wild posted:

Just lol if you're not doing an slvl 1 pyro.

I've beaten DS1 as a SL1 Deprived.

I have seen all the pain in the world.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I got a Starlink question; If I build more armories on planets, will they be able to repel bad guy attacks by themselves?

Yes - I’ve had them take down some big targets before I even arrive on scene.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gripweed posted:

I got a Starlink question; If I build more armories on planets, will they be able to repel bad guy attacks by themselves?

I believe so, towards the end of the game I only build Armories because I found that the more I had on a planet the less likely the enemies would set-up shop again on it after I had cleared it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Annath posted:

Souls games are definitely not like Metroidvania/Zelda games.

For one thing, absolutely no usable item or weapon in the game is mandatory (I know this is 100% true for Dark Souls 1, and I'm pretty sure it's true for 2 and 3). You can get to every mandatory area and most optional ones as a level 1 naked rear end piece of zombie jerky.

Whereas one of the defining tropes of Metroidvanias and, to a lesser extent, Zelda games, is that acquiring new weapons/items/power ups opens up new areas to explore.

replace keys with power ups and call it a zelda like game then, i don't really care. All I know is that, to me, playing dark souls feels a hell of a lot like my favorite metroidvanias mixed in with a little bit of old school zelda/megaman. It's true that you don't get mobility powerups but the "flow" of how you explore the game world is otherwise nearly identical. Bloodborne especially really felt like what CV could and should have evolved to if money and talent had been properly poured into the franchise

my personal ~experience~ with souls games aside, it's definitely not a "spreadsheet game"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ragequit posted:

Yes - I’ve had them take down some big targets before I even arrive on scene.

Yeah, I just got a "we took down an extractor!" notice. That's really cool

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what bits and bytes and things is nintendo changing inside my controllers when they are updated??

i'm just genuinely curious. :shrug:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bulgakov posted:

what bits and bytes and things is nintendo changing inside my controllers when they are updated??

Each firmware update triggers $100 to be transferred from your bank account to Nintendo’s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Souls games are only Metroid-like because they have large interconnected areas (except DS2 I guess); but the biggest part of the Metroidvania experience is getting new weapons that function as keys as well to unlock areas and backtracking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't you need the King's Ring in DS2 in order to progress, along with the four great souls which are themselves useable items*.

*Yes this can be bypassed by grinding out a shitload of souls but if we're gonna count that you're gonna let me count Metroid being glitchable to gather almost nothing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bulgakov posted:

This is not a very technical answer, but the controllers, and everything they do and transmit and receive is obviously written in code. That code, at least a portion of it, is located IN the controllers themselves, not just in the Switch's OS. Firmware updates are the updates to that onboard code. The purpose of an update usually comes down to stability, security, and maybe code optimization; if there's a way that the joycon can send/receive data at a noticeably higher speed or with greater efficiency, that's worth rolling out a firmware update for. Maybe an update has a way to improve battery life.

Hey, for all we know, holding a joycon at hip level while doing the Macarena backwards causes an error that requires re-syncing to the Switch, and a firmware update would fix that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I remember when I first realized that firmware is called that because it functions as a go-between for hardware and software :v:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yah! it's probably boring stuff like changes to the bluetooth functionality but i'd be curious for a changelog :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bulgakov posted:

yah! it's probably boring stuff like changes to the bluetooth functionality but i'd be curious for a changelog :shrug:
Lmfao

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i just think that seeing a thought process through changes in an embedded firmware would be an interesting view into a hardware company like nintendo??? :shrug:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I feel like this thread needs some kind of moratorium on Souls posting because there are some astoundingly bad takes in here. Especially whichever fucker said the online on Switch had a population; that's a huge lie. :V

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just won my first game of Tetris 99 in my 51st try. Holy poo poo was I in the zone for the last like 3 minutes of the game. And I was insanely lucky. My blocks actually reached the top and it looked like I got knocked out and I was trying to figure out what position I got and then the big 1 popped up.

Anyways, I can’t believe those crazy sons of bitches made a loving new and fresh and fun online Tetris game. Amazing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bulgakov posted:

i just think that seeing a thought process through changes in an embedded firmware would be an interesting view into a hardware company like nintendo??? :shrug:

Nintendo even admitting that they're doing an update required the deaths of dozens. Telling you what that update is would require a six digit body count.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

BigW has the Smash Bros Ultimate Pro Controller bundle for :siren:$100AUD:siren:

They also have the Pokemon Let's Go Pokeball Bundle for :siren:$79AUD:siren:.

The following games are also each $49AUD;

• DOOM
  • Wolfenstein TNO
  • Octopath Traveller
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Bayonetta 1&2

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
My friends and I went through the entire character creator in the Daemon X Machina demo without having the slightest clue what the game even was, so we were all pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in a sleek, playable, pretty stafoxxy mech action game, downloading it now on my own console but I was really impressed with what I saw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

tin can made man posted:

My friends and I went through the entire character creator in the Daemon X Machina demo without having the slightest clue what the game even was, so we were all pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in a sleek, playable, pretty stafoxxy mech action game, downloading it now on my own console but I was really impressed with what I saw!

There's moments when there's a lot going on where the frame rate can be a showstopper, but I'm confident they can get that ironed out before the release. It's a cool game