Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Using 3rd party addons is against the rules, cheaters. I'm gonna tell Yoshi P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rastan Beeza posted:

You ever get a roulette and just know that it's gonna be a bad time?

I ran an AV as a DRK for ldr, and got a healer that only used Cure.

At least three wipes were had, and I don't think he knew how to Swift Raise me either, because whenever I died due to tanking all those morbol spawn or Diremites I only got cure 1s. Also nice was me tanking in the corner of the first room and before the 2nd boss and the healer being as far back as possible to aggro the whole room anyway, upon which he would flee like the dickens as soon as he got aggro. (Now, I was using my CDs and even was in tank stance)

Kudos to the ninja and bard who whittled down the trash instead of fleeing though.

This has been extremely common lately, I've found. I can expect any sprout healer in LDR to just casually spam Cure 1 without any other thought. No Cure 2, no Regen. Just a rhythmic Cure every few seconds whether I need it or not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe someone invented some kind of actual healbot recently, so people can go afk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This has been extremely common lately, I've found. I can expect any sprout healer in LDR to just casually spam Cure 1 without any other thought. No Cure 2, no Regen. Just a rhythmic Cure every few seconds whether I need it or not.

I think that a lot of MMOs have broken people's brains with regards to how they play. Like, the rigidity to honest healing/tanking, the vitriol towards newer players, this Cure 1 nonsense, the whole Efficiency Is Everything mindset towards what they do to level up or whatever. Hopefully they learn to lighten up and have fun playing a video game, but I understand MMOs aren't supposed to be fun in a lot of player's minds.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jokes posted:

I think that a lot of MMOs have broken people's brains with regards to how they play. Like, the rigidity to honest healing/tanking, the vitriol towards newer players, this Cure 1 nonsense, the whole Efficiency Is Everything mindset towards what they do to level up or whatever. Hopefully they learn to lighten up and have fun playing a video game, but I understand MMOs aren't supposed to be fun in a lot of player's minds.

A little bit offtopic:

Like Volguus said, you need a WoW license for every WoW instance.
But: You can pay your monthly WoW subscription of 12.99 Euro/Dollar with ingame gold by buying a WoW token.
More info here : https://wowtoken.info
So on high pop servers with high demand the 8 chars (8 licenses are/is the limit for 1 Blizzard Account. The terms of services allow a maximum of 3 Blizzard accounts, so 24 boxing would be the maximum that is tolerated within the TOS) can Farm serious amounts of raw stuff and material to sell on the auction house.
That’s why the Multiboxing usually call these “farmchars” to play for loot and gold.
A different approach is playing Multiboxing to kil PVE encounters and trying to raid solo with your own little army as far as possible.

My best weeks with focus on farming pulled in up to 5 Million gold (but with several hours of farming daily) in one week.
I was usually able to farm the amount of a goldcap (9.999.999 Gold) within 4 weeks because of Multiboxing.

Right now 8 tokens in the EU = 8*160k Gold needed for 1 month and all chars means ~ 1,3 Million Gold by selling that stuff in the auctionhouse.

Where multiboxing shines is looting: You loot with all chars against the loottable RNG, so you get tons of stuff and raw gold as well.
The rare Mobs in WoW drop rare loot („blue items“) that are bound on equip and usually have a lot of value.
So while a single char kills them and gets 1 rare item, I get 8.
The loot performance of open world WoW Multiboxing is what makes that mechanic fun.
Multiboxing paid for all my WoW accounts, subscriptions until 2020, and you can convert the WoW tokens in Blizzard Store money as well. So I bought 8 Battle for Azerroth Licenses, about 400 Overwatch loot boxes, over 1000 Hearthstone packs and Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Ultimate Edition (poo poo Game btw) ....from WoW Gold.

Back on topic, to play smoothly and efficiently you need good hardware, at least if you wanna go beyond the classic and most common 5 boxing.
The 9900K is the best in slot CPU right for this stuff, 8 cores and every core friggin fast to manage (actually InnerSpace is the logic and service that works here, but you get my point ) the 8 WoW clients and was worth the money.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

No but seriously, what's wrong with Construct 7? I can understand beef with another "whoaaaaa get sucked into a room with a dps check minion" but the core mechanics of the fight (math, that spin attack) always came off as super neat to me.

I think I remember a lot of people being confused about what it expected from you in the math phase on their first go? Like I remember a lot of people being confused by the ability he casts being called "subtract" or something. I feel like that mechanic can throw you for a loop the first time you see it, or every time if you're just bad at mental math. :v:

I'm still salty about the time I got past math and then died to some other mechanic, possibly due to a lack of heals.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

Maybe someone invented some kind of actual healbot recently, so people can go afk.

there absolutely is a healbot out there in my experience early mornings in ARR dungeons levelling alt jobs. they're honest healers that don't do the mechanics but the really weird part is how they seem to move to waypoints as the tank moves near them, so they travel in a very odd looking pattern. its really noticeable when you wipe and have to walk back, since they keep going to the same points on their way back. ive seen it a few times from different sprouts which makes me suspect its a bot. they also cast protect as soon as someone without it comes into range, which can be funny to play around with.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radical posted:

there absolutely is a healbot out there in my experience early mornings in ARR dungeons levelling alt jobs. they're honest healers that don't do the mechanics but the really weird part is how they seem to move to waypoints as the tank moves near them, so they travel in a very odd looking pattern. its really noticeable when you wipe and have to walk back, since they keep going to the same points on their way back. ive seen it a few times from different sprouts which makes me suspect its a bot. they also cast protect as soon as someone without it comes into range, which can be funny to play around with.

There's definitely bots for each role, although you tend to only see them in lower level content. The tank one I saw was super funny because it would constantly do this half-circle rotation around each enemy in an attempt to, I guess, increase its probability of avoiding AoEs. I think it was one of the cheaper ones, though, because we were in Copperbell, it died to the slime boss, and then just broke and wouldn't move into the next section.

The hands down weirdest bot (?) I saw was a tank in normal Brayflox that just... didn't actually tank. It ate 4 or 5 random foods before combat, randomly casted Gladiator abilities, and otherwise didn't attempt to move out of AoEs or do anything at all. I actually don't know if it was a bot, but I can't think of a real human being playing like that. I had to give our poor sprout Dragoon instructions on how to kite Aiatar so we could actually finish the dungeon.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 25, 2019

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rastan Beeza posted:

You ever get a roulette and just know that it's gonna be a bad time?

I ran an AV as a DRK for ldr, and got a healer that only used Cure.

At least three wipes were had, and I don't think he knew how to Swift Raise me either, because whenever I died due to tanking all those morbol spawn or Diremites I only got cure 1s. Also nice was me tanking in the corner of the first room and before the 2nd boss and the healer being as far back as possible to aggro the whole room anyway, upon which he would flee like the dickens as soon as he got aggro. (Now, I was using my CDs and even was in tank stance)

Kudos to the ninja and bard who whittled down the trash instead of fleeing though.

I just had a levelling roulette for Doma Castle where the tank's left side gear was a hodgepodge and the other DPS was still in unaugmented Shire.

That was frustrating.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Barring pure laziness, I think there's just a mindset/bad advice with some folks at first that they're always supposed to be casting something, but at the same time it hasn't sunk in yet that they should be dpsing too - so they figure they're doing their job by keeping you constantly topped off.

I fell into that trap myself when I started WHM for a while, it's a hard habit to break.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Like I've mentioned before, I'm generally willing to give most honest healers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've just got major league anxiety over screwing up and letting someone die because they were trying to juggle DPSing and healing. It's easier now than it was during the Cleric Stance days, but you can still gently caress up and let people drop if you're not target switching fast enough or you underestimate incoming damage, especially if you've got dumbass undergeared tanks trying to mass pull. I've been playing since about 2.3 and I still sometimes goof up because I get too used to running with overleveled/overgeared tanks and miscalculate the amount of damage someone outside that scope can take.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just tell new healers not to worry about DPS, keep everyone alive and if you're bored, throw some rocks. Eventually they're spamming holy like a pro.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Having the right tools, gear and circumstances definitely helps fix honest healing to a degree. Emergency heals make stuff like holy spam more comfortable. Assize is a brilliant ability because it does everything AND gives you mana back. While it can be easy to bank big cooldowns for "when you need them" like one would with rare consumables in their typical RPG, stuff like Assize becomes a no-brainer "use on cooldown or you're losing value." at some point, you might realize if you're not using enough mana to outstrip your ability to regen it, or have a lot more room to spend mana, and realize that's something else you can optimize.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Phone posted:

A little bit offtopic:

Like Volguus said, you need a WoW license for every WoW instance.
But: You can pay your monthly WoW subscription of 12.99 Euro/Dollar with ingame gold by buying a WoW token.
More info here : https://wowtoken.info
So on high pop servers with high demand the 8 chars (8 licenses are/is the limit for 1 Blizzard Account. The terms of services allow a maximum of 3 Blizzard accounts, so 24 boxing would be the maximum that is tolerated within the TOS) can Farm serious amounts of raw stuff and material to sell on the auction house.
That’s why the Multiboxing usually call these “farmchars” to play for loot and gold.
A different approach is playing Multiboxing to kil PVE encounters and trying to raid solo with your own little army as far as possible.

My best weeks with focus on farming pulled in up to 5 Million gold (but with several hours of farming daily) in one week.
I was usually able to farm the amount of a goldcap (9.999.999 Gold) within 4 weeks because of Multiboxing.

Right now 8 tokens in the EU = 8*160k Gold needed for 1 month and all chars means ~ 1,3 Million Gold by selling that stuff in the auctionhouse.

Where multiboxing shines is looting: You loot with all chars against the loottable RNG, so you get tons of stuff and raw gold as well.
The rare Mobs in WoW drop rare loot („blue items“) that are bound on equip and usually have a lot of value.
So while a single char kills them and gets 1 rare item, I get 8.
The loot performance of open world WoW Multiboxing is what makes that mechanic fun.
Multiboxing paid for all my WoW accounts, subscriptions until 2020, and you can convert the WoW tokens in Blizzard Store money as well. So I bought 8 Battle for Azerroth Licenses, about 400 Overwatch loot boxes, over 1000 Hearthstone packs and Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Ultimate Edition (poo poo Game btw) ....from WoW Gold.

Back on topic, to play smoothly and efficiently you need good hardware, at least if you wanna go beyond the classic and most common 5 boxing.
The 9900K is the best in slot CPU right for this stuff, 8 cores and every core friggin fast to manage (actually InnerSpace is the logic and service that works here, but you get my point ) the 8 WoW clients and was worth the money.

nerd, i'd rather be having sex

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Having the right tools, gear and circumstances definitely helps fix honest healing to a degree. Emergency heals make stuff like holy spam more comfortable. Assize is a brilliant ability because it does everything AND gives you mana back. While it can be easy to bank big cooldowns for "when you need them" like one would with rare consumables in their typical RPG, stuff like Assize becomes a no-brainer "use on cooldown or you're losing value." at some point, you might realize if you're not using enough mana to outstrip your ability to regen it, or have a lot more room to spend mana, and realize that's something else you can optimize.

Yeah, and there's also the fact that if you're a newer player on WHM who didn't skip-potion, you spend a LOT of your time leveling up without Assize or any of the useful GCD's for the job. Lucid Dreaming is your only way to manage MP early on, you have no quick-heals before 50, and all you get at 50 is Benediction and its eternal cooldown timer. (I hate getting Ravana normal on trial roulette as WHM because of this - it's a step up in difficulty, new people get caught in AoE's or stand in the cleave zone, and it's easy to run yourself out of MP spamming Medica & Raise.) So you get through the first 55 levels of the game before you get this new ability that completely changes your job and lets you be more aggressive. And from then on you get another really good ability every couple of levels. I can definitely see how those first 50-some levels would teach WHM's to play really conservatively. And yeah, gear can be an issue too.

But even at those lower levels, you have to know when to use your HoT's and DoT's. If you're too scared to throw rocks, at least put an Aero up there every 30 seconds or so.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Vermain posted:

Like I've mentioned before, I'm generally willing to give most honest healers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've just got major league anxiety over screwing up and letting someone die because they were trying to juggle DPSing and healing. It's easier now than it was during the Cleric Stance days, but you can still gently caress up and let people drop if you're not target switching fast enough or you underestimate incoming damage, especially if you've got dumbass undergeared tanks trying to mass pull.

I've got WHM at 70 and, while I did still try to dps as much as possible, I had this anxiety the entire time I was leveling. Mostly for dungeon trash, though, healing boss fights and trials tends to be much more predictable.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Okay, but: Regen. That's like a giant blinking sign saying "slap this on the tank and go DPS", I don't know how people could miss that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Deathwing posted:

Barring pure laziness, I think there's just a mindset/bad advice with some folks at first that they're always supposed to be casting something, but at the same time it hasn't sunk in yet that they should be dpsing too - so they figure they're doing their job by keeping you constantly topped off.

I fell into that trap myself when I started WHM for a while, it's a hard habit to break.

My first exposure to this game was this thread, and it was a selling feature that you could go into Cleric Stance and do respectable if not good DPS between heals. Thankfully that brought me into the game that I want to maximize my DPS when possible so that's always been what I'm in to. Most people probably have the mindset you point out here - they should be doing something at all times, and they're a healer so keep people at 100%. I have some WoW friends saying that spam heals is pretty normal over there so I'm sure that's part of it as well. I used to suggest to sprouts that they can throw some rocks when the group's high but that gets a pretty big backlash rate.

It blew their minds the first time I dropped grit on a boss and went hard on the DPS, but they appreciate how the mechanic and encounter design support this kind of play.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

My first exposure to this game was this thread, and it was a selling feature that you could go into Cleric Stance and do respectable if not good DPS between heals.

I wonder though how many people played the game during that period thinking "Cleric Stance for overworld/solo content, healing stance for dungeons" and not realizing you were supposed to stance-dance.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
When I run dungeons/raids as Sch (which I'm still leveling) I end up going oom spamming Broil if I don't use all my aetherflow on Energy Drain. Am I supposed to do less dps

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Boogalo posted:

Putting the oldest quest in my journal to bed. Had it since 2.1 because I'm lazy as gently caress.

I should have turned in during daytime. Will I ever use a yumizono again? Probably not, but at least I have 50 more now.

:haibrow::haibrow::haibrow:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

rujasu posted:

I wonder though how many people played the game during that period thinking "Cleric Stance for overworld/solo content, healing stance for dungeons" and not realizing you were supposed to stance-dance.

I half expect that was the developer intent, but then I see poo poo like OG Holy with 240 potency, no fall off, stuns, and think there's no reasonable person alive that doesn't want a WHM to hulk out and destroy a dungeon with it. I don't think they truly expected the dps meta to be as heavy as it is now.

suuma posted:

When I run dungeons/raids as Sch (which I'm still leveling) I end up going oom spamming Broil if I don't use all my aetherflow on Energy Drain. Am I supposed to do less dps

Are you using Lucid Dreaming? A lot of SCH's don't.

I've never had mp issues between hitting Aetherflow on cooldown, as well as Energy Drain / Lucid.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Boogalo posted:

Putting the oldest quest in my journal to bed. Had it since 2.1 because I'm lazy as gently caress.

I should have turned in during daytime. Will I ever use a yumizono again? Probably not, but at least I have 50 more now.

i still have that one sitting in my journal too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rujasu posted:

This was definitely the official forum honest healer defense

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

suuma posted:

I don't follow. Energy Drain is DPS. If no one needs healing, then switch up the Broils with Ruin 2 + Energy Drain combos, which actually do more damage per GCD than a Broil 1/2. If you're regularly running out of mana without healing expenditures then you're likely not hitting Lucid/Aetherflow on cooldown and even then I'm not sure how you could run dry.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Are you using Lucid Dreaming? A lot of SCH's don't.

I've never had mp issues between hitting Aetherflow on cooldown, as well as Energy Drain / Lucid.

No :v: that's probably it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would play scholar and NOT dps. Like, I thought the entire appeal to scholar was that it was secretly a DPS class and your healer is your fairy buddy you brought with. With shields and such it seemed like the entire point was to get your healing out of the way early so you can get a nice comfy window to dot and broil in

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

suuma posted:

No :v: that's probably it.

Yeah, it's not obvious by the text, but Refresh status on Lucid Dreaming is MP regeneration. Just hit all your MP stuff on cooldown and you should be fine.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
In defense of sprout healers, Lucid Dreaming being an MP restore is not sufficiently signposted. It's easy to read the tooltip and go "enmity? meh", since the MP restoration is an "Additional Effect: Refresh" and not a giant blinking neon sign saying "THIS REFILLS YOUR MP USE ON COOLDOWN".

If you don't use Lucid then running out of MP healing newbie tanks is an actual concern.

Re: SCH dps, it's somewhat latency dependent but 99% of the time you do better total damage with Broil II + Energy Drain even if it will delay your next Broil by the oGCD animation lock. Ruin II is just too lovely to be worth it. With Broil I weaving in Ruin II is still very slightly better, but you might as well get in the habit of Broilspam IMO.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Verranicus posted:

nerd, i'd rather be having sex
You will never have sex.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Okay so

How do you play Bard? I think this is the first job where I straight up don't know what I'm doing besides pushing the buttons.

Quoting myself I know, but the whole Song mechanic is a bit confusing to me. Sorry for being a bad dumb, but I just don't want to be That Dps in dungeons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

There are absolutely healbots in the game, although they are a lot smarter about it.

Used to be this one person who'd idle in Rhalgr's that was so blatantly running a healbot, it wasn't even funny. If you'd switch gear sets anywhere in their vicinity, you'd immediately get targetted and healed to full. If you were on a tank, the character would spin on you and turn to follow your movement as soon as you stepped into range, even if you were on the other side of a wall and never showed up in such a way as to be tabbable or clickable onto.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

In defense of sprout healers, Lucid Dreaming being an MP restore is not sufficiently signposted. It's easy to read the tooltip and go "enmity? meh", since the MP restoration is an "Additional Effect: Refresh" and not a giant blinking neon sign saying "THIS REFILLS YOUR MP USE ON COOLDOWN".

If you don't use Lucid then running out of MP healing newbie tanks is an actual concern.

As someone who, uh, managed to get WHM to 70 and finish through Stormblood/side content/etc. while somehow missing that LD was an MP restore (until my wife started playing FFXIV also as a caster and pointed it out), you're definitely not wrong :bang:

On the bright side, though, I feel like my MP management is maybe a little better thanks to playing without it for a long while.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Rastan Beeza posted:

Quoting myself I know, but the whole Song mechanic is a bit confusing to me. Sorry for being a bad dumb, but I just don't want to be That Dps in dungeons.

Are you just leveling or are you asking for help at 70? Cause the songs basically are long buffs that proc when your DoTs have a critical tick. Mage's ballad refreshes the bloodletter/rain of death shared cooldown when a DoT crits, army's paeon speeds up your attacks on a crit tick, and the wanderer's minuet lets you use an oGCD attack that gets stronger with successive crit ticks up to 3 times. Keep your straight shot buff up, keep your dots going, try to maximize your time in mage's or wanderer's instead of army's, and hit your buttons on cooldown and you should probably be fine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Song mechanics are essentially "have one up." At 58 you'll get your third song, and they last long enough that you can always have one up.

Otherwise for bard: Keep dots up, particularly with songs. Use Blood Letter or Rain of Death as often as possible.

Barrage works with Empyreal Arrow. If you don't have it yet, a proc'd straighter shot is next best, with Heavy shot being the fall back. (Not sure if it's better to wait for a proc or just use on CD.)

Use Foe Requiem when it makes sense? Like nothing else uses mana, so just pop it at the start of a boss when people are using cooldowns, or at a different time if you know the boss goes invuln or whatever.

You have both Refresh (party wide mp regen) and Tactician (party wide TP regen) as role skills, healers will love you use the former. (Plus it can get you Foe Requiem back faster.)

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Are you just leveling or are you asking for help at 70? Cause the songs basically are long buffs that proc when your DoTs have a critical tick. Mage's ballad refreshes the bloodletter/rain of death shared cooldown when a DoT crits, army's paeon speeds up your attacks on a crit tick, and the wanderer's minuet lets you use an oGCD attack that gets stronger with successive crit ticks up to 3 times. Keep your straight shot buff up, keep your dots going, try to maximize your time in mage's or wanderer's instead of army's, and hit your buttons on cooldown and you should probably be fine.

I'm levelling, yeah. Got to 30 and unlocked the job and saw the Song mechanic works off Crits, and was confused as to what exactly that did.

I assume that I should now save my Raging Strikes for when Wanderer's Minuet is up to get more Crit chances.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

My first exposure to this game was this thread, and it was a selling feature that you could go into Cleric Stance and do respectable if not good DPS between heals. Thankfully that brought me into the game that I want to maximize my DPS when possible so that's always been what I'm in to. Most people probably have the mindset you point out here - they should be doing something at all times, and they're a healer so keep people at 100%.
I don't have such a generous opinion of honest healers. The majority I see still waste gcds all the time, they just stand there or run around instead. I seriously cannot fathom how this is engaging in the slightest - if spamming heals was required I'd get it, but when you have so much down time and spend it just moving a few yalms on trash with no aoe abilities I have to wonder what's going on

I'll never berate someone in game but I'll certainly make scathing posts about it in vague terms on dead forums

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

rujasu posted:

Yeah, and there's also the fact that if you're a newer player on WHM who didn't skip-potion, you spend a LOT of your time leveling up without Assize or any of the useful GCD's for the job. Lucid Dreaming is your only way to manage MP early on, you have no quick-heals before 50, and all you get at 50 is Benediction and its eternal cooldown timer. (I hate getting Ravana normal on trial roulette as WHM because of this - it's a step up in difficulty, new people get caught in AoE's or stand in the cleave zone, and it's easy to run yourself out of MP spamming Medica & Raise.) So you get through the first 55 levels of the game before you get this new ability that completely changes your job and lets you be more aggressive. And from then on you get another really good ability every couple of levels. I can definitely see how those first 50-some levels would teach WHM's to play really conservatively. And yeah, gear can be an issue too.

But even at those lower levels, you have to know when to use your HoT's and DoT's. If you're too scared to throw rocks, at least put an Aero up there every 30 seconds or so.

conversely: in the time i spent leveling a whm from 1-60 i found a single regen was powerful enough to carry most healing and i could then spend the majority of my time spamming rocks and holy

like there is so much downtime for an honest healer in early level content i would frequently get bored out of my mind trying

that said i came at it having first leveled all tanks to 70, so i have a pretty decent idea of how long you can ignore tank health before needing to heal. i'd frequently let my buddies' health drop to double and single digits

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Incoming damage also has hefty jump from mid-60s to 70. Bardam and Doma are NOT fun with undergeared tank, and even being undergeared as healer is not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Okay, but: Regen. That's like a giant blinking sign saying "slap this on the tank and go DPS", I don't know how people could miss that.

Eh, I get tanks all the time with armor and especially cooldown management so garbage, regen only buys me like two GCDs before I need to dump another Cure 2 over their head. I'm used to it at this point but I can totally understand someone being spooked and deciding to play it safe in case they eat a crit or their attention lapses for a moment.

They absolutely need to be corrected on this point, but I understand.