Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It's also a remake of a game you could already play on the 3DS, unlike Superstar Saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Plus the original was pretty popular in it's day. It's still pretty easy to find.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think Nintendo is truly surprised by the 3DS's falling popularity which is kind of shocking to me lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

an actual dog posted:

I think Nintendo is truly surprised by the 3DS's falling popularity which is kind of shocking to me lol

Not really. If they thought it was still viable they'd be producing more than ports. At this point it's probably just life support til June for Persona Q2.

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Three Targets and one Gamestop has yielded approximately zero copies of Yokai Watch 3. And it's not on Amazon. RIP.

I'm seeing it on stock on Amazon again as shipping on the 24th.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I think they knew, but were trying to maintain hype for as long as possible anyways. The 3DS still sold a shitton of hardware in 2018, but with how cheaply produced Bowser's Inside Story DX was, they seem to be affording as little budget as possible now to produce these titles.

Still, half of the ports are remakes of classics and it's kind of cool to see them reimagined. Just think, the 3DS was introduced to us with 3D remasters of N64 titles, and it's going out with remakes and tributes to GameCube era gaming (Luigi's Mansion, M&L remakes, Warioware Gold). There's a pretty big breadth of Nintendo history on the 3DS

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

an actual dog posted:

Nobody is surprised when it came out seven years ago and the Switch does a lot of things it could do

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything I'd be surprised it's lasted this long. But I think it's a bit of a GBA/DS thing where they were hedging their bets a bit.

Warioware Gold seems like a pretty fitting last hurrah for the 3DS, it actually uses all of the gimmicks. (beside the 3D)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
GBA games continued to come out for 3 years after the DS was released. 3rd party games kept coming even after Nintendo stopped.

In other words, I'd expect more games to come out because devs know that there are a LOT of these devices in peoples hands. Many of whom do not have Switches. There may not be a ton of games, but there will be more to come. Nintendo will stop making games, though.

Same thing happened w/ DS games after the 3ds came out.

We are 2 years into the switch. So probably 2 more years of releases. After all, there over 70 million 3ds consoles out there.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 19, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spellman posted:

I think they knew, but were trying to maintain hype for as long as possible anyways. The 3DS still sold a shitton of hardware in 2018, but with how cheaply produced Bowser's Inside Story DX was, they seem to be affording as little budget as possible now to produce these titles.

Still, half of the ports are remakes of classics and it's kind of cool to see them reimagined. Just think, the 3DS was introduced to us with 3D remasters of N64 titles, and it's going out with remakes and tributes to GameCube era gaming (Luigi's Mansion, M&L remakes, Warioware Gold). There's a pretty big breadth of Nintendo history on the 3DS

Yeah, while the Superstar Remake was pretty well handled and was very technically sound (60 FPS like the original game, and it was a very stable game at that), the BIS remake clearly had a lot of corner cutting going on.

30 FPS is one thing, but it's not even stable in the remake, Bros. Attacks can cause huge amounts of lag. Battles have noticeable loading times. Both the Mario Bros. and Bowser only have 8 directional walking sprites despite using 16 on the 3DS titles due to the analog movement. They mentioned this as one of the obstacles that caused Dream Team's development to take a while. Even the Superstar Saga remake kept the 16 directional sprites that was established since Dream Team. Giant battles look awful in the remake, and the biggest case of corner cutting would be the lack of a left-handed option, since that would require them to make a 2nd version of the battle for the cinematics. They couldn't just mirror it because of several issues that would crop up. So they just cheaped out in this case, unlike with Dream Team where they actually bothered to do that.

I'm pretty sure they knew this wouldn't be a huge seller, and just saved money and rushed it out the door. And it's probably a stop-gap title for whatever they have planned next.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

GBA games continued to come out for 3 years after the DS was released. 3rd party games kept coming even after Nintendo stopped.

Yeah but the DS was also backwards-compatible with GBA software. That said, 3DS games are still being produced and the Switch has been out for two years

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

So probably 2 more years of releases. After all, there over 70 million 3ds consoles out there.

There aren't two more years of release. The release calendar for the 3DS ends with Persona Q2 (which is only a localization of an existing game that released last year), and stores have been dumping their stock at clearance prices. The last handful of Nintendo-made games have all been cheap quick-and-dirt ports of existing titles, and all the big 3rd-party studios have migrated to the Switch.

It simply doesn't matter that there's 70 million-odd 3DS's in existence when retail stores don't WANT the last long-unsold games on shelves taking up space, and all the developers have moved on. Even the announced Luigi's Mansion 3 is a Switch game when it would've been easier, and more logical with the original game now on it, to just build on Dark Moon's engine on the 3DS.

Waltzing Along posted:

Same thing happened w/ DS games after the 3ds came out.

3DS's play DS games, so it didn't matter which platform was developed for as they slowly transitioned to the 3DS because the studios had a viable market either way.

Waltzing Along posted:

In other words, I'd expect more games to come out because devs know that there are a LOT of these devices in peoples hands. Many of whom do not have Switches. There may not be a ton of games, but there will be more to come. Nintendo will stop making games, though.

You're really not gonna see anything that actually props it up, and even then it'll be cheap digital releases of shovelware. The indie and small-studio developers all jumped to the Switch a year ago, if not at its launch, because it'll take a multi-platform version far easier than having to work to incorporate the second screen and general hardware specs. There's simply no incentive for anyone to keep supporting it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

GBA had one screen instead of the dual-screen touch for the DS, and by all accounts the Switch devkit is significantly easier to dev poo poo on with a sane nvidia chip than the nintendo handheld custom arm jobbie. The 3DS third party release calendar is going to look like a 90 degree cliff as the things that were too far along to swap to the switch wrap up, and then that's going to be that.

e: Apart from Kirby and Persona Q2, the only things slated for 3DS release are "DLC for an existing game" and "sequel to a game from a dev that ported the first game to DOS for the sheer unmitigated hell of it"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 19, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's funny that BIS sold so poorly because I am getting a commercial for it on absolutely every YouTube video I watch and have been for some time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, while the Superstar Remake was pretty well handled and was very technically sound (60 FPS like the original game, and it was a very stable game at that), the BIS remake clearly had a lot of corner cutting going on.

30 FPS is one thing, but it's not even stable in the remake, Bros. Attacks can cause huge amounts of lag. Battles have noticeable loading times. Both the Mario Bros. and Bowser only have 8 directional walking sprites despite using 16 on the 3DS titles due to the analog movement. They mentioned this as one of the obstacles that caused Dream Team's development to take a while. Even the Superstar Saga remake kept the 16 directional sprites that was established since Dream Team. Giant battles look awful in the remake, and the biggest case of corner cutting would be the lack of a left-handed option, since that would require them to make a 2nd version of the battle for the cinematics. They couldn't just mirror it because of several issues that would crop up. So they just cheaped out in this case, unlike with Dream Team where they actually bothered to do that.

I'm pretty sure they knew this wouldn't be a huge seller, and just saved money and rushed it out the door. And it's probably a stop-gap title for whatever they have planned next.

That’s amazing. I didn’t know it was that lovely of a port. Funny thing is that it also looks worse than the original from an artstyle standpoint as well. What a complete waste of development time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never quite understood why people don't like the new art style. I think it's gorgeous, despite not being as cartoony as the old one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never quite understood why people don't like the new art style. I think it's gorgeous, despite not being as cartoony as the old one.

It’s not terrible, it just doesn’t have as much personality imo. It makes a lot of things look more generic and on-model.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The deliberately crude design of the originals was perfect for jokes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been playing the BIS remake and it feels so goddamn slow for some reason. Battles take a million years just to load and some enemy attacks take forever. Honestly the more I play these games the more I'm convinced the only truly great M&L game is the first one

It's still a good game but I'm getting kinda tired of it, Paper Jam was also good but Dream Team was... not great

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loved Dream Team a lot more than Paper Jam. It tied together all the series threads and was really funny, had a ton of returning characters, for the first time (crazily enough) actually had Bowser as the villain, fun dungeon mechanics and combat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I loved Dream Team but the criticisms were mostly true about it. It did have way too many tutorials. If you could get past that then it’s a really fun game with awesome battles and the best music in the series. It looked really nice in stereoscopic 3D too.

Paper Jam was fine but felt a little dull and rushed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A Link Between Worlds is sub-20 bucks now and is just great. It's insanely charming and if the Link's Awakening remake is half as good it'll be amazing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've been playing the BIS remake and it feels so goddamn slow for some reason. Battles take a million years just to load and some enemy attacks take forever. Honestly the more I play these games the more I'm convinced the only truly great M&L game is the first one

It's still a good game but I'm getting kinda tired of it, Paper Jam was also good but Dream Team was... not great

It's not just you. The remake also slowed down how fast turns went by compared to the original game and it doesn't feel as good. Lots of enemy attacks basically are more sluggish (Which is not helped by the inconsistent frame rate.)

Unlike with the Superstar Saga remake where I could say you could go with either and get a good experience, I'd probably recommend playing the original instead in Bowser's Inside Story's case. The only QOL change you'll miss out on is the lack of ability to skip tutorials. And the ability to not have to use the microphone ever (One boss fight is really dragged down by this.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Play the original on DS, the remake is super unfair to it and it's on par with the 1st easy

Or just take a break because it sounds like you've played through a bunch of them in a row

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's a shame the BiS remake got rushed, because the Bowser Jr. side of the game has a pretty decent story with some good writing and characterization.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's a shame the BiS remake got rushed, because the Bowser Jr. side of the game has a pretty decent story with some good writing and characterization.

The best part of the SS remake was the new dialogue for the Goomba's Minions game mode. A shame that the gameplay has the quality of a bad phone game with the stamina restriction taken out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn’t the gameplay as poo poo as the bonus game they added to the SS remake?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play the original on DS, the remake is super unfair to it and it's on par with the 1st easy

Or just take a break because it sounds like you've played through a bunch of them in a row

No I’ve played them spaced out over the last few years, and I’m already up to the final stretch of the game so I feel like I might as well finish

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Isn’t the gameplay as poo poo as the bonus game they added to the SS remake?

It is, but my point still stands.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No I’ve played them spaced out over the last few years, and I’m already up to the final stretch of the game so I feel like I might as well finish

I got pretty tired of BIS in the final stretch as well, when I played the original version near original release.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The last dungeon or two does go on and on and on. Seems to be a common problem with RPGs. The final boss is totally worth it at least.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

M&L games just get worse with each one tbh, Bowser's Inside Story is just closest to the original in terms of quality, but it's still not as good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rank them SS, BIS, DT, PJ and PIT. I think they’re all pretty good though. PIT has its moments even though I think it’s the worst one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spellman posted:

M&L games just get worse with each one tbh, Bowser's Inside Story is just closest to the original in terms of quality, but it's still not as good

That really isn't true since the worst is the second one.

Its bad enough they skipped the cash in remake and went straight to Bowser's Inside Story

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zore posted:

That really isn't true since the worst is the second one.

Its bad enough they skipped the cash in remake and went straight to Bowser's Inside Story

I don't think Partner's in Time is actually that bad, it was just bad in comparison to the 3 or 4 great Mario RPG titles at the time. Just about every Mario RPG after sucked worse

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spellman posted:

I don't think Partner's in Time is actually that bad, it was just bad in comparison to the 3 or 4 great Mario RPG titles at the time. Just about every Mario RPG after sucked worse

BiT was a return to SS's form and Dream Team was alright but wow Mario RPGs really loving went downhill from the early days

night slime
May 14, 2014
This past Friday I sent Nintendo my lost New 3DS serial code and they delinked my NNID within a day over e-mail so I could restore my purchases on a different 3DS. Pretty cool and a lot easier than what I remember it used to be from the horror stories I'd read, just needed to send them some of my purchase history and my NNID and birthday/CC last 4 digits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

This past Friday I sent Nintendo my lost New 3DS serial code and they delinked my NNID within a day over e-mail so I could restore my purchases on a different 3DS. Pretty cool and a lot easier than what I remember it used to be from the horror stories I'd read, just needed to send them some of my purchase history and my NNID and birthday/CC last 4 digits.

That's exactly as easy as it's always been (at least as long as the NNID has been around) The horror stories of "if you lose your 3DS, you lose all your games forever" have never been true.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Jivjov posting about games being tied to your NNID in 2019...what a warm nostalgic feeling, like finding an old jacket in the back of the closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

That's exactly as easy as it's always been (at least as long as the NNID has been around) The horror stories of "if you lose your 3DS, you lose all your games forever" have never been true.

Where were you when the Switch thread was fighting about not being able to rebind buttons in NES games?? Your country needed you and you did not appear.