Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Q and Nagilum are Facebook friends who don’t know each other very well and whenever they meet irl they trade insincere pleasantries and avoid eye contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
all the other godlike entities regard q, nagilum and the TOS freak of the week messing with humans like the cool kids regard dookie still fussing around with bug bombs in the wire

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

There was a novel about Q and Trelane doing some omnipotent battle against each other.

It was pretty :psyduck: if I remember correctly. I read it when I was like 12 so ymmv. Peter David generally writes (wrote? No clue if dude is even still active in Trek books) fairly decent stuff, relatively speaking.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's interesting that while Q just loves to gently caress with mortal races, he still actually hews to the Continuum at large with not solving mortal problems on his own. He could just fix things, but he doesn't. He pushes them to do better. Q really is a semi-benevolent force, he's just rather confrontational about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If you were a sentient microbe living in a lake in a US National Park you might conclude humans are a semi-benevolent force. I don't know if you'd have the best perspective on humanity, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When Kira blows up a pizza oven and burns down a farmers house and tells him it's time to loving move on is she really any different than Q?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember when Q offered to send Janeway and her entire crew home and Janeway was like "No."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I get that she was being all "I'm taking my job as a judge seriously" in that case, but why in the 80 other times they encountered Q did they not get him or her or his son (that happened, right?) to snap them back to the alpha quadrant? I didn't watch much Voyager and I really don't want to watch those episodes.

I mean I figure if you know Merlin and you've helped him a bunch of times you could ask him for a simple transportation spell.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's interesting that while Q just loves to gently caress with mortal races, he still actually hews to the Continuum at large with not solving mortal problems on his own. He could just fix things, but he doesn't. He pushes them to do better. Q really is a semi-benevolent force, he's just rather confrontational about it.

Q just knows that the best way to motivate a human is through spite.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He's kinda like Calvin's dad. "I know you got diarrhea because I didn't cook the chicken enough, but hey. Suffering builds character!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of Q and Trelayne:

This is a page from a new IDW comic book series called 'The Q Conflict.'

"It’s Captain vs. Captain vs. Captain vs. Captain in the most high-stakes scavenger hunt the galaxy has ever seen as Picard, Kirk, Janeway, Sisko and their teams compete for the amusement of their godlike tormentors."

More here: http://www.startrek.com/news/captain-vs-captain-vs-captain-and-q

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

There was a novel about Q and Trelane doing some omnipotent battle against each other.

It was pretty :psyduck: if I remember correctly. I read it when I was like 12 so ymmv. Peter David generally writes (wrote? No clue if dude is even still active in Trek books) fairly decent stuff, relatively speaking.

I read it at around the same age having no idea at the time who the gently caress Trelane was but I found what felt like Q battling a rogue member of the continuum was pretty neat.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

Remember when Q offered to send Janeway and her entire crew home and Janeway was like "No."

Remember when Q wanted to have Q hand sex with Kathy?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

I originally thought that last panel was Quark giving himself oomax.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why are they making all their dumb boyfriends go track down bath bombs did I miss something

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

Why are they making all their dumb boyfriends go track down bath bombs did I miss something

incoherent wine pick best pick

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Okay I’ve identified a major problem with Voyager (wow really) that I don’t see brought up too often. I just finished Cold Fire on my rewatch, and this is where I really think the script was way too ambitious for what the show could have pulled off in 95, along with some super poor direction. If I were reading the script for this, I’d probably envision some proper freaky horror going on. Instead, it came off like a slightly more incoherent episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Basically I think the writers sometimes really, really tried more than we give them credit for, but the production/direction/cast were often not up to the task.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Honestly I can watch and enjoy Voyager. In hindsight and with time, the show has grown on me more and more over the decades. The following Star Trek shows and movies being utter trash has helped somewhat with that too. After Voyager I remember thinking Star Trek can only go up from here and then Enterprise happened.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Okay I’ve identified a major problem with Voyager (wow really) that I don’t see brought up too often. I just finished Cold Fire on my rewatch, and this is where I really think the script was way too ambitious for what the show could have pulled off in 95, along with some super poor direction. If I were reading the script for this, I’d probably envision some proper freaky horror going on. Instead, it came off like a slightly more incoherent episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Basically I think the writers sometimes really, really tried more than we give them credit for, but the production/direction/cast were often not up to the task.

I can consider granting this point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The script is more ambitious than the average poo poo Voyager episode, and the horror/psychedelic touches are neat, but it’s still bad. Same reset button crap the show would become infamous for, same Janeway being a moron and refusing to bring everyone home. The whole episode only exists because they had to introduce the idea of a secondary backup Caretaker in the pilot, to give themselves a chance to reset button the whole premise of the show and literally do TNG 2 if audiences(/execs) hated the Delta Quadrant. when they decided not to do that they probably shouldn’t have messed around with the concept again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goku wouldn't even blink at Q. Q could go off at them about Saiyans being violent and barely better than animals and Goku and Vegeta would be like "...and?"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I enjoyed voyager but I was lucky enough to watch it as my first trek

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Voyager lasted 7 seasons so someone had to be enjoying it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My first exposure to Voyager as a 9 year old kid was watching "Future's End" in a hospital waiting room.

Really set the tone for me for the rest of the series imo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Voyager lasted 7 seasons so someone had to be enjoying it.

UPN.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Weird question- back in the 80s there was an outfit called “Temporal Graphics” that produced a bunch of ship schematic posters - Paladin class scout, Alaska class heavy cruiser, bunches of others - and one of the history of ships named Enterprise. I can’t find much online about this company but dies anyone have any info on who was running it or who made the schematics back in the day?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

head58 posted:

Weird question- back in the 80s there was an outfit called “Temporal Graphics” that produced a bunch of ship schematic posters - Paladin class scout, Alaska class heavy cruiser, bunches of others - and one of the history of ships named Enterprise. I can’t find much online about this company but dies anyone have any info on who was running it or who made the schematics back in the day?

They’re credited as the illustrator on some of these: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/paladin-class-scout-destroyer.php

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Whoever runs the idw twitter jumped the gun on announcing a Star Trek comic bundle that starts tomorrow.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-2019-books?view=yYsu7vkiwzTc

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Binary Badger posted:

This is a page from a new IDW comic book series called 'The Q Conflict.'

"It’s Captain vs. Captain vs. Captain vs. Captain in the most high-stakes scavenger hunt the galaxy has ever seen as Picard, Kirk, Janeway, Sisko and their teams compete for the amusement of their godlike tormentors."

More here: http://www.startrek.com/news/captain-vs-captain-vs-captain-and-q

Janeway has two first officers, two engineers, and no doctors. Meanwhile Kirk has Worf, The Violent-Vulcan, and One-Punch OBrian. These teams seem lopsided.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Janeway has two first officers, two engineers, and no doctors. Meanwhile Kirk has Worf, The Violent-Vulcan, and One-Punch OBrian. These teams seem lopsided.

But Janeway also has Paris, who can do any and all jobs needed because he took a one-semester course ten years ago on it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

8one6 posted:

Whoever runs the idw twitter jumped the gun on announcing a Star Trek comic bundle that starts tomorrow.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-2019-books?view=yYsu7vkiwzTc

That's a nice bundle and I'm glad they tossed in some of the TNG mirror universe stuff, but nothing will ever top these covers:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

That's a nice bundle and I'm glad they tossed in some of the TNG mirror universe stuff, but nothing will ever top these covers:

If you just want the entire Mirror Broken (which I'm seriously considering, even though it has some shoddy tracing and wacky perspectives now and then) it's about $10 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM1SWN8/?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Why does Geordie have a gigantic head? Besides the fact the artwork is traced?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If you just want the entire Mirror Broken (which I'm seriously considering, even though it has some shoddy tracing and wacky perspectives now and then) it's about $10 on Amazon.

I write posts before reading on in the thread.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

this book ruled ok

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I see so many fan comics with so many better styles, it's a shame that they don't hire those people sometimes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have a dilemma: Greatest Generation's next episode is going to be on "The Visitor," but I feel like if I watch that again, I might just kill myself.

So the dilemma is whether I should kill myself before or after listening to the podcast episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
TGG is going to totally miss what makes The Visitor good with stupid plot nitpicking because they don't pay attention, if their DS9 coverage thus far is any indication.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

TGG is going to totally miss what makes The Visitor good with stupid plot nitpicking because they don't pay attention, if their DS9 coverage thus far is any indication.

“Picard would never have allowed Wesley to waste his life waiting and that’s why this episode is terrible and TNG is better and we can’t wait to watch voyager”

There, I just saved everyone an hour+ of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I'd put a %75 chance they don't get it at all.

I watched it last night, I thought it would be rough because I have a son now but it isn't. It would be tough if I had lost my father. But I haven't.

The Virgin Alexander goes back in time as an adult to kill himself as a child.

The Chad Jake kills himself as an adult to save his childhood.