Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
At this point, it’s not gonna matter too much in the next 3-8 years, as streaming matures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You think we'll all run our games on a megahunka laptop locked away in a server vault somewhere and just VNC to them so it doesn't matter if I have a poo poo laptop so long as it has fast HEVC decoding and a good internet connection?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i personally can't wait until they solve packet loss / radio interference with wi-fi, since they'll need to clear that hurdle first

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

You think we'll all run our games on a megahunka laptop locked away in a server vault somewhere and just VNC to them so it doesn't matter if I have a poo poo laptop so long as it has fast HEVC decoding and a good internet connection?

It'd be a virtualized Windows instance on a server farm somewhere, but yeah, more or less. There are services that exist right now that offer a similar thing for $20/mo and if you're feeling inspired you could even roll your own through Amazon AWS for slightly cheaper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The customer support on that Wal Mart branded gaming laptop is likely to be terrible. Hope nothing goes wrong with it. It's the same hardware used by a bunch of vendors but still

I actually did quite a bit of research on it because I was going to pull the trigger and the support is actually really good.

It was a smoking deal for 1k I know that much. Turns out I have no need for it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, those laptops should survive at least a year or so. give em a shot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Isn’t an eGPU enclosure like $400 by it self?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

huh?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

asecondduck posted:

It'd be a virtualized Windows instance on a server farm somewhere, but yeah, more or less. There are services that exist right now that offer a similar thing for $20/mo and if you're feeling inspired you could even roll your own through Amazon AWS for slightly cheaper.

Wouldn't the latency be pretty noticeable? Like if you click on something, that needs to be sent to the server, result rendered, sent back to your computer and decoded (plus any additional input or output lag on your computer) before you see a response. Seems like this would be pretty terrible for anything fast paced or player vs player. Even looking around seems like it would require a round trip since the client can't render anything at all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splinter posted:

Wouldn't the latency be pretty noticeable? Like if you click on something, that needs to be sent to the server, result rendered, sent back to your computer and decoded (plus any additional input or output lag on your computer) before you see a response. Seems like this would be pretty terrible for anything fast paced or player vs player. Even looking around seems like it would require a round trip since the client can't render anything at all.

The other poster asked about how a streaming game solution would work and I explained it. Im not sure how well it works, but I reckon it would be roughly on par (if not better) than playing through PS4 Remote Play.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was just saying that buying an enclosure is nearly half the cost of some of these windows gaming laptops.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's rumors about the Xbox streaming service coming to the Nintendo Switch. If that happens then the console generation thing is over and we won't need to buy GPUs again.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Splinter posted:

If the round trip involves going to New York from Los Angeles then yes it’ll be bad. If it’s within say 100 miles and the network latency is low I think it’s doable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure they'd do their best to install local farms as centrally located as possible to that end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last Chance posted:

The MacBook Pros or the Walmart ones? :haw:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The MacBook Pros or the Walmart ones? :haw:

Both at this point lol

My dad bought a new MacBook over thanksgiving and he had to return it by Christmas because it wouldn’t boot lol. Luckily his new one has at least lasted a few months.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There's rumors about the Xbox streaming service coming to the Nintendo Switch. If that happens then the console generation thing is over and we won't need to buy GPUs again.

NVidia’s service has successfully been in open beta for like 2 years now. I dunno if it’s still free on Mac but it was for a long time. And Microsoft’s been pretty bullish on treating streaming play as a core strategy of their upcoming console push. It’s basically confirmed that there will be two different consoles launching with one being essentially a streaming box.

There are even rumors of Apple launching their own, or partnering with one of the like 10 other tier 1 companies that either have or plan to launch a similar service as a complement to their coming TV service. I don’t buy that last one too much but you can pretty much expect at least one of those services to feature pretty heavily in the iOS/Mac ecosystem

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Jony won in the end. He was right.

Macs did not change to become more compatible with gaming. Gaming changed to be compatible with the Mac.

:woz: (woz prolly loves gpus and wishes you could strap one to a modern Mac like a goddamn flux capacitor, we need a Jony flag to best represent the ethos around post-97 Apple)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

games are for children

Weedle
May 31, 2006

We’re all children here on the Something Is Awful forums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

games are for children

according to John Carmack, that was basically Jobs’ feeling on PC Gaming (or not explicitly that, but that games were a poor and low-minded way of using computers that could be better utilized, say, cultivating a hobby in font design) and one of the core reasons why Apple never treated GPU performance or upgradeability as a priority- or even, one could argue, deliberately pushed against it and gaming capability as system selling features vs what was happening concurrently in the pc space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That could have been true when Jobs was alive, but these days GPU's are critical for many non-game tasks (and I'm not talking about bitcoins). Apple really needs to take them seriously now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

according to John Carmack, that was basically Jobs’ feeling on PC Gaming (or not explicitly that, but that games were a poor and low-minded way of using computers that could be better utilized, say, cultivating a hobby in font design) and one of the core reasons why Apple never treated GPU performance or upgradeability as a priority- or even, one could argue, deliberately pushed against it and gaming capability as system selling features vs what was happening concurrently in the pc space.
Honestly I switched to Mac in 2006 when I finally got a real man job and wanted to keep myself from mixing business with pleasure.

Now that I done lost my mind again and am back to my manbaby roots PC gaming is the best thing ever. I can't wait to build my next gaming PC with RGB LIGHTS WOOOO

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FCKGW posted:

games are for children

I’m going to get that fortnite scholarship on a Mac, just you watch

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My 2015 work MBP is going to be up for refreshing this year and my options are a 2018 13" MBP or a Thinkpad T480s. As for workload - I'm a systems engineer with a terminal open 100% of the time, w/ a web browser (usually Safari, sometimes Chrome when I need Java for iLO). I don't run any VMs locally (got a test stack for that), so the majority of my work is iTerm + Browser + Office Apps. This is all hooked up to a dock, running 2x monitors via HDMI/mini DP.

What do you think thread? What should I go with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terminal work on windows sucks. It has all the pieces you need, and you can definitely do it, but it always feels lovely and you'll want the Mac back.

I can't define why it sucks, just that every time I've tried I hated it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the 2018 MBP is a very 'industrial' type computer. Do you get dirty in server rooms much? Go with the Thinkpad. If you get to chill on a nice desk, prolly MBP. (I HATE THE KEYBOARDS).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Terminal work on windows sucks. It has all the pieces you need, and you can definitely do it, but it always feels lovely and you'll want the Mac back.

I can't define why it sucks, just that every time I've tried I hated it.

You can spend a hundred dollars and buy SecureCRT and be about as good as the default Terminal software bundled with every Mac since 2000.

I miss Terminal and iTerm even with my $100 copy of SecureCRT. It's definitely better on a Mac.

eames
May 9, 2009

If only there was a way to use a T480s without Windows or macOS!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
When I started as a network engineer in 2011, I got a Thinkpad and then found out nearly everyone else on my team had a Mac. They said "it's so much better, it has a great terminal and all the Unix utilities" etc. so I said alright, I'll get a Mac when my laptop refresh comes up.

2014 rolls around and I got a Haswell 13" MBP. Used it for three years. Great hardware and nothing wrong with OSX, but I didn't really get the appeal other than having things like grep and diff available without having to install Cygwin (or just SSH into one of myriad available Linux hosts). I definitely didn't, and still don't get what is supposed to make iTerm or Terminal that much better than PuTTY - let alone MTPuTTY, which was my client of choice in Windows at the time.

2017 and the second refresh comes up before our IT has made Skylake MBPs available, so I switch back to a Thinkpad. With mRemoteNG and WSL, I can do just fine on Windows anything that I ever cared to do in OSX. People talk about paying $100 for SecureCRT, but honestly unless you're already used to it I don't even see the point in that.

Maybe I'm just tainted because I've used Windows since I was 7 and don't really hate it like a lot of people seem to, IDK.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 26, 2019

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MarcusSA posted:

Isn’t an eGPU enclosure like $400 by it self?

Between $200 and $300 for an entry-level one. The Razer Core X ($300) is recommended.

I only know this because I’m researching the viability of using a Thunderbolt eGPU with either my work-supplied XPS13 or my MBP13, for Solidworks Visualize. Because somehow a €1000 rendering solution will be an easier pitch to management than a €4000 workstation with dual Quadros.

Visualize only works with NVIDIA GPUs though, and their driver support for macOS is awful, so lol at even trying to game with it outside of Windows.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

I don't think the 2018 MBP is a very 'industrial' type computer. Do you get dirty in server rooms much? Go with the Thinkpad. If you get to chill on a nice desk, prolly MBP. (I HATE THE KEYBOARDS).

The legit mac haters are all rocking Thinkpads on campus. The posers buy Surfaces.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Between $200 and $300 for an entry-level one. The Razer Core X ($300) is recommended.

I only know this because I’m researching the viability of using a Thunderbolt eGPU with either my work-supplied XPS13 or my MBP13, for Solidworks Visualize. Because somehow a €1000 rendering solution will be an easier pitch to management than a €4000 workstation with dual Quadros.

Visualize only works with NVIDIA GPUs though, and their driver support for macOS is awful, so lol at even trying to game with it outside of Windows.

I've been messing with a RX580 eGPU that I think I'm going to return, but I couldn't imagine dealing with the lack of Nvidia support on top of the other eGPU crap you have to deal with.

Apple really needs to release Nvidia drivers and better eGPU drivers for Boot Camp. Admittedly, they've done a good job improving general eGPU support over the past year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 26, 2019

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Gay Retard posted:

I've been messing with a RX580 eGPU that I think I'm going to return, but I couldn't imagine dealing with the lack of Nvidia support on top of the other eGPU crap you have to deal with.

Apple really needs to release Nvidia drivers and better eGPU drivers for Boot Camp. Admittedly, they've done a good job improving general eGPU support over the past year.

The Blackmagic one?
Speaking of: It’s so frustrating that the Blackmagic eGPU range is incredibly Apple-esque in execution. Great design, functionality, and feature set, hamstrung by previous-gen hardware that you can’t upgrade, all for a premium price. But hey, it Just Works™

I’ll do a few more days of research before doing the needful. If I go the eGPU route I’ll blaze the trail for future posters.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

If only there was a way to use a T480s without Windows or macOS!

Yeah really. If you live in a Terminal, why even use windows or mac?!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Yeah really. If you live in a Terminal, why even use windows or mac?!

Yeah, if I didn't need WebEx on a daily basis (and maybe Outlook, though I think I could get over it and use the web client) I'd use Fedora on my work Thinkpad.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

The Blackmagic one?
Speaking of: It’s so frustrating that the Blackmagic eGPU range is incredibly Apple-esque in execution. Great design, functionality, and feature set, hamstrung by previous-gen hardware that you can’t upgrade, all for a premium price. But hey, it Just Works™

I’ll do a few more days of research before doing the needful. If I go the eGPU route I’ll blaze the trail for future posters.

Nope, I got a used Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box for $300. Works really great natively in MacOS (plug and play), and great in Windows when I managed to figure out how to get past the dreaded Error 12, but I'm just not sure how much I'll use it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the tips regarding my upcoming laptop refresh. The one thing I find easier on a Windows over Mac is the nice ipmitool GUI that Supermicro offers. Unfortunately, there’s no macOS equivalent, and whenever I need to access some piece of garbage console over the web I have to constantly fight with Java on the Mac.

And yes, in a perfect world, I’d run Linux, but we are an MSOffice shop and use all the junk it comes with (SkypeForBusiness, Teams, Outlook, etc).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Hello Spaceman posted:

Are a eGPU with a weak Radeon RX and a workstation with dual Quadros even comparable? Not to mention the CPU difference, plus you'd need the same peripherals either way. If you need the firepower of the Quadros it should be an easy sell in terms of time you'd save waiting for renders to complete :shrug:

I know that I'd much prefer a desktop workstation for compute-intensive stuff. An XPS 13 with a janky eGPU is in no way comparable, not to mention it'd cost more. You can build a good workstation with an 8-core CPU and a Nvidia graphics card for $1000.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Mark Larson posted:

Are a eGPU with a weak Radeon RX and a workstation with dual Quadros even comparable? Not to mention the CPU difference, plus you'd need the same peripherals either way. If you need the firepower of the Quadros it should be an easy sell in terms of time you'd save waiting for renders to complete :shrug:

I know that I'd much prefer a desktop workstation for compute-intensive stuff. An XPS 13 with a janky eGPU is in no way comparable, not to mention it'd cost more. You can build a good workstation with an 8-core CPU and a Nvidia graphics card for $1000.

Yes, you're right that a dedicated, dual-GPU workstation would be better than an eGPU.

Long story short: I'm the communications manager at our company, and occasionally I need to get some rendered images of our products. Presently, renders are only created by a colleague at another office. He is moving into a new role. I'm hands-on, so I don't mind learning the process and doing the renders myself. It is not critical for me to do this, however there would be enormous benefits to my personal productivity if I did it myself. I'll present the realistic options to the beancounters and they can decide based on cost and my motivation.

In terms of a solution: currently, Visualize only has accelerated rendering for CUDA cores, so no computer I currently have access to will render other than with a CPU. Practically, I only need to be able to render. Waiting an hour or 12 wouldn't matter, waiting multiple days would. I was just musing out loud on the eGPU, since I was toying with the idea of buying one for myself. I should've added a :v: at the end of that sentence.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm starting a coding course that requires me to have a MacBook of some sort. Out of the Pro, Air and non-Pro, which would you get? The baseline models seem to be very similar in terms of pricing, and I'm trying to pick between those three, leaning towards the basic Pro.