Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Kennel posted:

Looks like all those people died while sledding there. :ghost:

The dad's well aware of this.

One little push, and he gets his life back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 3, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 3, 1997)

explainer

Garfield Classic (August 3, 1987)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Edge of Musth

If the mark on the lead elephant's head is anything to go by, this is the work of an evil band of Vulcans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: The Dervishes are very phlegmatic over having their headquarters bombed and their leader killed, or Corto appreciates some Turkish poetry, or Ha ha ha! Laugh with me!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 25, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think corto uploaded in reverse order

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

Is it me, or is Pru drawn slightly differently than the rest of the cast?

She's Asian, so her eyes are drawn differently.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Oh hey, look. Lynn DOES know that the word "stupid" doesn't have two Os in it.

Jamal

I gotta admit, I did not see this coming.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis is back to reruns. Seems like it's been going to reruns a lot these past few months.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

Curtis is back to reruns. Seems like it's been going to reruns a lot these past few months.

Wow, from back when Onion still had his quotation marks!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiggum posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

How? HOW did it "prove" to be the publisher's office? Because it was the one other place we saw?

This strip feels like a Super Fun Pak Comix parody of murder mysteries being played completely straight.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 3, 1997)

That's the same thing his wife said after he passed...and his wife agreed!

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

If only Luann had a one eyed cat to approve her profile!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Ban%C3%A9r

Both Pekka and Vitikka appeared early in the story. Vitikka cut father Hieronymus' ear off.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman missed a day since there's no newpaper scan for Jan 23rd. You probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't tell you.

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

drat That's A Fine Umbrellaphant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

While I'm not a doctor or something, I feel like a possible anaphylactic shock is the point where you do load the guy into the jeep and head off the emergency crews, but I guess what Rex Morgan MD is saying is that'd just be giving him what he wants.

As morals of the story go, "don't be a jerk on airplanes or, if it has to make an emergency landing, it'll be your own fault when a scorpion stings you and everyone will think you deserve it" could use a few more editing passes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BUY SAVINGS BONDS

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

1977 Spiderman missed a day since there's no newpaper scan for Jan 23rd. You probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't tell you.

You're missing three days:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't really say I've been "missing" them, Bob.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Compu-Toon hasn't updated yet for the day, everyone else has. Odd. So let's talk about Compu-Toon. Namely, Boyce's blogspot for the comic. Which never updates. There were only 40 posts, in 2017. There's one, ONE, for 2018. That was nearly a year ago, 2/28/2018

I went poking through some of the comics in that blog and this one stopped me dead in my tracks:

A Compu-toon that is both an original scene that's not the computer APP store, someone sitting on a computer or that boy and his dog? And there's no sign of MS-Paint fuckery?!? I am glad I finally get to see what it's like when Boyce really gives 100% at a comic.

I also have been doing some proper editing to the photos I take of the Closer to Home pages so they should be more readable. The first picture in particular was taken at an odd angle and was rotated and skewed back to almost square.

I had no idea as a child what that left comic was supposed to mean and I still don't know now.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
you could do anything to closer to home and it still wouldn't be readable

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

In today's Corto Maltese: The Dervishes are very phlegmatic over having their headquarters bombed and their leader killed, or Corto appreciates some Turkish poetry, or Ha ha ha! Laugh with me!

I think these are backwards?

F Minus

He makes a good point. The teacher should have a higher opinion of himself.

Pearls Before SwMacanudo

Mark Trail

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Mary Worth

I know it's silly to think this might happen, but I suddenly hope she's meeting a woman.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
rex you just survived an emergency plane landing the in desert, let the kid say rear end

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

That's one Sunday, actually. Unfortunately the newspaper scans I'm getting these from are missing Sundays for whatever reason, and the other paper I found with them doesn't start carrying NSM until 1986.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Oh for gently caress's sake.
Why do they want to kill the incredibly famous and awesome and great Mark Trail again? Or does flamethrower guy just like killing people that much?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Why do they want to kill the incredibly famous and awesome and great Mark Trail again? Or does flamethrower guy just like killing people that much?

I like the other guy's apparent motive. Get his autograph and kill him, thus making his autograph more valuable.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Luxrage posted:

I had no idea as a child what that left comic was supposed to mean and I still don't know now.

He keeps on using the same arm to hit the snooze button every morning, so it's a lot more muscular than the other one

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Backwards? Backwards, why I have no idea what you mean.

(sorry everyone)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
For gently caress's sake this idiot CAN'T NOT be having pregnancies in his stupid loving comic strips

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I just realized that while some aspects of New Nancy have changed, her relentless work ethic has remained the same. Here she scolds a lazy rear end orphan kid while on a beach holiday:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Nenonen posted:

I just realized that while some aspects of New Nancy have changed, her relentless work ethic has remained the same. Here she scolds a lazy rear end orphan kid while on a beach holiday:

Not a bad joke, honestly, but goddamn that first panel. You just know that there’s a NSFW version of that in the Gingrich vault.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigglesSWE posted:

Not a bad joke, honestly, but goddamn that first panel. You just know that there’s a NSFW version of that in the Gingrich vault.
I know it was a typo but I laughed anyways.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (October 6, 1931)

Peanuts (February 28, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 22-24, 1932)

Dok's Dippy Duck (August 16-18, 1923)

And here's a bonus for those of you who like to read these old cartoons for the transition of the times. (August 18, 1923 again)

Today's Thimble Theater got jammed up in a technical difficulty, which means a double dose tomorrow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Hell yeah

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 22-24, 1932)

Love to get kielbasas with Gramma while Mother is at home cooking laudanum.
Seriously what is going on here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, the 'born thirty years too soon' comics are fascinating, but mostly baffling.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Calaveron posted:

For gently caress's sake this idiot CAN'T NOT be having pregnancies in his stupid loving comic strips

It really does feel like there is always a minimum of 1 going on at all times.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pentaro posted:

I'm puzzled myself.
With the way these things usually are, I assume that the small bubble is things 30 years ago. (1900s) Where there might have been a health craze about keeping strict tabs on what your children ate exactly, while in the 1930s they care less about it, and the child is just getting showered with sweets and snacks.

A lot of these seem to be about how much more relaxed people are now, and not as obsessed with appearances or other things as they were when the artist was younger.

But you could also read it as mother vs grandmother at the same time.

Or how the mother was super strict about dietary stuff with her child 30 years ago, but is currently smothering her grandchild with sweets and rewards now.
(And how her daughter would probably have preferred her current gift showering to her strictness previously.)

It's a lot less clear cut than a lot of the previous ones, so I'm at a loss as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pentaro posted:

Mom 30 Years Ago gives her kid candy and sausage without caring, while Mom Today (in the bubble) obsesses over what her kid eats to the point of weighing it out ounce by ounce.