Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

ive got an idea what if instead of the screen going all the way to the top it stopped just a couple millimeters shy and in that blank space you could put the camera and an array of sensors?

i'd post a suggestions for why there are reasons to try to avoid that, but it'd cause a multi-page derail about how wearing well-fitting pants is a stupid affectation that no real/adult/professional person/goon would lower themselves to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just bought some slim cut pants

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sir this is the android thread we dont accept pants posts without a minimum of six pockets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd post a suggestions for why there are reasons to try to avoid that, but it'd cause a multi-page derail about how wearing well-fitting pants is a stupid affectation that no real/adult/professional person/goon would lower themselves to

There's literally zero justification for using the notch over a 3mm bezel at the top of the screen

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if they keep the chassis design after removing the notch it would save money because they could ruse thier cnc jigs

still there is no ender user benefit to the notch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unfortunately the chassis is also ugly AF, it looks like a rejected samsung design from five years ago

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I say we go back to round screens, then the notch could go around the middle like a belt!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

My Linux Rig posted:

I say we go back to round screens, then the notch could go around the middle like a belt!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

lmbo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

no, bezels!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no headphone jack. expect rioting in the streets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
arse technical: the least awful android phones

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
pretty weird of ars to just link to a blank page

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they are correct in buying a mid-range nokia, the rest is nonsense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

quote:

And before complaining about coverage, when was the last time you actually checked out coverage in your area? Are you sure new towers haven't been built, and coverage hasn't been improved? Don't you have Wi-Fi access at work and at home? Is Verizon really giving you significantly better coverage, or is that just how things have been in the past?

"just connect to wifi"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

andoird

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if it produces best in industry hardware and software with unparalleled choice and freedom, it must be good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

if it produces best in industry hardware and software with unparalleled choice and freedom, it must be good

too bad it doesn't

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

bare bones dessert release gets prettied up into a board support package, then released to device manufacturers who tack on a ton of non functional tacky poo poo

seems right to me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

so on the android phones that don’t have headphone jacks, do they just have Bluetooth as an option or do they include a usb to 3.5mm dongle? do they come with headphones with the appropriate connector?

just curious if they’ve cheaped out on that aspect.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

so on the android phones that don’t have headphone jacks, do they just have Bluetooth as an option or do they include a usb to 3.5mm dongle? do they come with headphones with the appropriate connector?

just curious if they’ve cheaped out on that aspect.

i dunno which phones include what but apparently usb-c to 3.5mm adapters are a bit of a clusterfuck on android https://www.pcworld.com/article/3284186/mobile/bring-back-the-headphone-jack-why-usb-c-audio-still-doesnt-work.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah, the gray forum people frequently complain about how poorly the usb-c dongles work. iphone people just talk about not liking them, but never complain when they do

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

even more ridiculously expensive, certain to have huge durability and battery life issues, but drat huawei at least made samsungs effort look like a joke: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18239565/huawei-mate-x-foldable-phone-hands-on-design-mwc-2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

samsung made samsung's effort look like a joke

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google is launching the pixel 3 xl lite soon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao
https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1100376615341703169

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

considering how potentially volatile the battery in my phone currently is i don't want that anywhere near my dick me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

tacky garbage man likes tacky garbage thing

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

hope the cpu is on the base side otherwise lol at the heat dissipation on that thing. although if you're already going to commit to that thiccness, may as well toss a heatsink on it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is he the dude who had a long public meltdown because someone teased him over his spikey bracelet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, he's not a suit and don't you ever forget that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
he also spends at least two paragraphs of every phone review either 1) whining about the lack of a headphone jack and damning apple for removing them or 2) praising the presence of a headphone jack and damning apple for taking them out

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

is he the dude who had a long public meltdown because someone teased him over his spikey bracelet

that someone was jean-louis gassee

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

he also spends at least two paragraphs of every phone review either 1) whining about the lack of a headphone jack and damning apple for removing them or 2) praising the presence of a headphone jack and damning apple for taking them out

broken clock

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

sounds like the SEailures around here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

that someone was jean-louis gassee
idk who that is

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jesus WEP posted:

idk who that is

beos

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Endless Mike posted:

sounds like the SEailures around here

the SE is great but they should remove the headphone jack so they can make the external speaker bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm starting to come around on the removal of headphone jacks from devices because nobody needs to be constantly listening to music