Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I mostly do bounties and speed runs of rifts and grifts, and then occasionally I'll just see what all that playing translates to as a gr cap. Thanks to power creep those gr speed runs are now gr100s and the cap now puts me on the leaderboard. Since I have been on the LB for longer than opening weekend this season, I've put a bit more effort into it, but doing a ton of GRs will let you augment your gear just through the course of things. In all past seasons, my augment level was usually an 80 gem just because I hated the idea of spiking gem levels above that on 60% rolls.

Once you get a hang of all the mechanics of the game and get used to the Bullet Hell playstyle of high level GRs, it really isn't all that bad.

exquisite tea posted:

You don't need any augments to clear GR85 with a complete build nowadays. Every set can get there as long as you aren't missing anything critical.

What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah this is my first season and first time playing since RoS and I pushed 85-90 without augments. I do think Paragon levels start becoming important post 100 though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

All this leaderboard/fishing talk makes me happy to be a filthy casual, totally content with being able to push to 100 and call it a good season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They for sure do. I did my first 105 and 106 stall at the low 800s (830 I think). In the time it took me to do the 4 100 augs on the 106 clear I did, I got up to 1070. Each paragon is +5 mainstat, so that alone was an additional 1,200 dex on top of the 2k the augments added.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like tweaking builds until I can run t13 normals in 20 seconds but I just started group pushing and it’s fun.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Going for the Years of War conquest acheevment and I am not getting credit for Roland's Legacy when I've just ran T13 grift twice now with the full set on.

Does it only count one set per class or something?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No but the reporting is bugged on some sets, but iirc the actual count still works, or maybe that was bugged too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dameius posted:

No but the reporting is bugged on some sets, but iirc the actual count still works, or maybe that was bugged too.

Well, nuts.

Roland's tranmog'd-

mewse
May 2, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Going for the Years of War conquest acheevment and I am not getting credit for Roland's Legacy when I've just ran T13 grift twice now with the full set on.

Does it only count one set per class or something?

This happened in a different season when they changed the 6pc sunwuko bonus and it wasn’t counting for that achievement

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This game is graphically really starting to show its age.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bust Rodd posted:

When somebody pointed out that kadala isn't wearing a hood and that's just her hair this really sunk in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Suburban Dad posted:

When somebody pointed out that kadala isn't wearing a hood and that's just her hair this really sunk in.

Oh. My. God.

UPDATE: Third time was the charm with Roland's. Hope it doesn't keep bugging out with other attempts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

holy poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you maintain the bajillion simultaneous enemies, and float a million massive numbers, whilst substantially improving graphics without running into performance issues?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Suburban Dad posted:

WHAT

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I feel like D3 wasn't all that advanced graphically when it came out either. Blizz has always been good at putting out games that run well on a LOT of machines

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Rinkles posted:

How do you maintain the bajillion simultaneous enemies, and float a million massive numbers, whilst substantially improving graphics without running into performance issues?

By having competent programmers who can optimize things properly.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suburban Dad posted:

edit

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Kadala

gently caress

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

drat, she looks like Sam Hyde

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I feel like my life is a lie.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
And to think, Kadala was Karen Carpenter this whole time

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

When I realized I could play it 60 FPS on a handheld

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I actually like most of the graphics in the game. I'm not sure higher poly count or anything would make a huge difference. It'd be neat to have like volumetric smoke or something I guess but most games don't even have that yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I play lots of :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: games but Diablo 3 still looks great to me, thanks to the super fluid animation and art direction. And somehow the Blood Marsh tileset still lowers system performance by like 10,000%, haha.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I could do with some aesthetic changes, especially some enemies, but on a technical level I think it still looks fine especially for how much crap can be on screen at once without the game skipping a beat.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ahem.

gently caress YOU, RNG! GO EAT GARBAGE, YOU USELESS PILE OF GARBAGE!

Stupid drat RNG converting my Gloves to the same Gloves, and then Pants to the same Pants. :argh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Diablo III looks fine you babies.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Suburban Dad posted:

:staredog:

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Suburban Dad posted:

:catstare:

oh drat

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I play lots of :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: games but Diablo 3 still looks great to me, thanks to the super fluid animation and art direction. And somehow the Blood Marsh tileset still lowers system performance by like 10,000%, haha.

Agreed, art direction matters way more than polys or rendering techniques. I don’t :pcgaming: though, so Dad of War on my PS 4 is high fidelity for me. Diablo 3 on the bus trumps all though.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have damage numbers turned off because seeing the screen fill up with numbers in the BILLIONS every millisecond is stupid and meaningless.

I do keep the status effects on though (slow, frozen, etc.) because its more subtle and actually relays useful information back to me while playing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WarMECH posted:

I have damage numbers turned off because seeing the screen fill up with numbers in the BILLIONS every millisecond is stupid and meaningless.

:psyduck:

That's like 70% of the point.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I realized after a couple of years of playing this game that I was literally ignoring the damage numbers because everything dies in one hit anyway and my brain was ignoring them. Even on Rift Guardians I just look at the health bar and pay no attention to numbers popping off the model.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If your damage can still be expressed without using scientific notation, you aren’t doing nearly enough.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

About the only time I really notice the graphics quality in Diablo 3 any more, is when I go from Switch to PC or PS4.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Why of all loving things this season, is RNG going unicorn on Crudest Boots for me? Christ I've been through 4k shards and 350 db's via upgrading. Seen enough innas shoes to convert out to two complete sets, meanwhile.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

WarMECH posted:

what the gently caress

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i have damage numbers on, but i don't see the point of displaying (humongous) health numbers when there are health bars

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

5er posted:

Why of all loving things this season, is RNG going unicorn on Crudest Boots for me? Christ I've been through 4k shards and 350 db's via upgrading. Seen enough innas shoes to convert out to two complete sets, meanwhile.

Are u gambling for it on a lvl 1 barn? There’s only like 2 possible boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

Are u gambling for it on a lvl 1 barn? There’s only like 2 possible boots

I should've smurfed... but I need a l.70 pair for my preferred pair.