Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No!! More guns are the LAST thing they need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

What if we had like smart bullets, that would only hit the bad guys.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

waah posted:

What if we had like smart bullets, that would only hit the bad guys.

That's how it works now. If they didn't deserve to get shot, then why did they get shot? Huh smart guy??

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it would make sense that facebook posts are 90% written by bullets

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

I see your regular academic fraud and raise you with academic tax fraud

This reminds me of something that happened with my cousin, only without the tax fraud. After failing out of college (where he stayed in a dorm), he basically carried on a charade of going to community college classes. My aunt finally ended up finding out somehow, but he kept up the act for a really long time.

Fortunately the story has a good ending. Cousin ended up becoming an EMT and is now training to be a paramedic. Some people apparently just can't deal with academic work/stress but are suited for stuff that (in my opinion) is way harder and more stressful. It was a big relief because I was really worried about him for a while; he used to just play DotA constantly, in addition to the "not going to classes" stuff, and other people are mostly powerless when it comes to getting someone out of that kind of funk/depression.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Eloped as a Joke in Vegas, are we legally married in Canada?

quote:

So, long story short, me and my fiancee (fueled by alcohol among other things) decided it would be a really funny joke to get married in Vegas. Mission accomplished, instagram freaked out. However we were under the impression that it would only be valid in Nevada, but after some googling we may actually be legal in Canada.

Following what the chapel told us to do after we booked the wedding we filed for a marriage licence and signed everything that everyone highlighted for us.

Did we just play ourselves? is my fiancee's name changed? She's still in school and this could potentially change her government loan situation. Thanks in advance.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Willfrey posted:

Maybe they covered up the video because it was a video of a horrible accident

One for which they could be held legally responsible.

You can't be seriously suggesting they did it to shield the kids somehow? It was pure CYA, which is pretty lovely when a kid just got his head skinned. They probably aren't criminally liable and they got him medical care, but pressuring a kid to delete the recording is hosed.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

'Does what happens in Vegas really stay in Vegas???????"

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Piell posted:

is my fiancee's name changed?

:cripes:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Piell posted:

How the gently caress does this keep happening?

I want to interview people who work at those chapels to see how many calls from increasingly-alarmed newlyweds they field a year. "Yes, hello, I'd like a refund on this marriage please, it was falsely advertised to me as Staying In Vegas."

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Piell posted:

I'm not sure how all these people got the impression that getting married in Vegas doesn't actually count. Also your name doesn't automatically change upon getting married, what the hell. At least they were already engaged I guess.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

In the faraway magical land of Las Vegas, they ape our customs well but none of it's, you know, real... right??

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Piell posted:

I would have given quite a lot to have been there when they realized with dawning horror what they’d actually done.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

'Does what happens in Vegas really stay in Vegas???????"

laffo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Agrikk posted:

I would have given quite a lot to have been there when they realized with dawning horror what they’d actually done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TP4MuVnS2A

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Going to Vegas and getting spur of the moment married for real by a guy in an Elvis costume has been a joke in sitcoms and stuff since at least the 60's. You'd think it would be pervasive enough at this point in American culture to be on a citizenship test. Like, "What caused the Civil War?" and "Can you really get married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas? Y/N"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Are they legally married in Canada though? I am not sure because it is a different country.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Why wouldn't they be legally married? Are all married people in other countries not married anywhere else but that country? The hilarious thing about getting married in Vegas is that it's really not that hard to get married anywhere, as long as you file your paperwork. They just streamline it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Foreign marriages are usually valid in Canada, unless the marriage would be illegal in Canada. And this one probably wasn't.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's still a bit harder to get married by Elvis, though

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Chomp8645 posted:

If there is one thing we could unironically use 1000% more of in this country it's people calling police when someone with guns starts talking like a lunatic.

This, but also it shouldn't be something that ends your career forever if it happens

I mean his sounds like it was already over but

In general, needing a welfare check shouldn't equal automatic firing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Doing a Vegas ceremony is all good fun and might make a solid social media prank but I'm loving picturing them going "hahaha isn't this hilarious" as they sign the paperwork. Why would you sign the paperwork, it's got nothing to do with Elvis?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Why wouldn't they be legally married? Are all married people in other countries not married anywhere else but that country? The hilarious thing about getting married in Vegas is that it's really not that hard to get married anywhere, as long as you file your paperwork. They just streamline it.

I just assumed when you came from another country already married youd have to go at least get a new marriage license or re certify your marriage license or something.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Help I fake married the woman i was gonna real marry for real. What can I do?????

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This, but also it shouldn't be something that ends your career forever if it happens

bosses can't take a joke when you describe detailed plans to murder them

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
This is why all my marriage licenses are printed directly onto fruit roll ups (not fruit by the foots, the regular ones I'm not a loving idiot) for easy disposal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just assumed when you came from another country already married youd have to go at least get a new marriage license or re certify your marriage license or something.

They usually just ask for a copy of the license if its needed for any reason so they can make a note in their system. You could not show it to canada to hide it from them, but given Canadas relationship with the US I wouldnt assume some system of the two wont gab behind your back about it.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

dudeness posted:

This is why all my marriage licenses are printed directly onto fruit roll ups (not fruit by the foots, the regular ones I'm not a loving idiot) for easy disposal.

fruits by the foot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly it Five Eyes were a sentient AI it would be your HR department going out to lunch gossiping behind your back

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Doing a Vegas ceremony is all good fun and might make a solid social media prank but I'm loving picturing them going "hahaha isn't this hilarious" as they sign the paperwork. Why would you sign the paperwork, it's got nothing to do with Elvis?

Laughing as we pull into the Vegas wedding chapel.

Joking around as we go through the ceremony.

Hooting and hollering as the staff point out where to sign on several pages of legal documentation to be filed with the appropriate governing body.

Just goofing off as we tell the world via instagram that we're literally married now, which is the explicit purpose of the business we just patronized.

Just having a real knee-slapping good time getting married step-by-step in a completely legal manner. Because you see, it is within the city limits of Las Vegas, Nevada.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Agrikk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUv5t71_Xo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the issue in these stories is people dont really understand that its ridiculously easy to get married. They think of the big weddings and all that stuff and think oh man the marrying is so complex and its not like movies or tv actually show the "our two love birds go to city hall for 10 minutes on a tuesday to get their documents" so people just dont know what it takes.

Basically; humans are dumb as hell and if there is an informational blindspot in the media they consume they will badly inference it.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

His threats towards the boss being known by the therapist seems like it would fall under Tarasoff law, which requires the therapist to warn a clearly identified potential victim

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ in this case yeah, i was just saying in general a welfare check shouldn't be enough for it

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

bosses can't take a joke when you describe detailed plans to murder them

i mean they shouldn't be learning the exact reasons why the welfare check for the person is being done, that's not how they work

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

quote:

Following what the chapel told us to do after we booked the wedding we filed for a marriage licence and signed everything that everyone highlighted for us. 

Will Canadians sign anything they're politely asked to? I sense some business opportunities.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

/\/\/\ in this case yeah, i was just saying in general a welfare check shouldn't be enough for it

i mean they shouldn't be learning the exact reasons why the welfare check for the person is being done, that's not how they work

the therapist called the boss because there was a guy with guns plotting to murder him, it wasn't part of the welfare check. It's something expected and in many places legally mandated of therapists these days, y'know, what with all the crazy guys who talk about going on a shooting spree and then go do it. You're saying something that didn't happen shouldn't have happened, which, OK I guess

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 27, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the therapist called the boss because there was a guy with guns plotting to murder him, it wasn't part of the welfare check. It's something expected and in many places legally mandated of therapists these days, y'know, what with all the crazy guys who talk about going on a shooting spree and then go do it. You're saying something that didn't happen shouldn't have happened, which, OK I guess
Is the therapist really mandated to do this even if the information is second hand? Or should we assume the guy had been expressing these things already in therapy and this incident pushed the therapist from not reporting into reporting?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is the therapist really mandated to do this even if the information is second hand? Or should we assume the guy had been expressing these things already in therapy and this incident pushed the therapist from not reporting into reporting?

To the police yes, they are. The boss seems to be a different story, I would think that would/should be to the discretion of the police.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My (22M) boyfriend (34M) spends all of his time with his ex-wife (34F) and children (11F/9M)

quote:

My boyfriend and I are in a 2-year relationship. We've been making plans to move in together, however I have some concerns that I'd like to get an objective opinion on.

A year before we met, my boyfriend divorced his wife. They're still on really good terms and have joint custody of their two children. I've spent some time with his family; his wife has always been nice to me, and the kids are adorable. There's a "but", however.

I feel like my boyfriend still clings onto his old life. It didn't used to be this bad during the first year of our dating, but lately, he's been running off to his ex's house after the slightest argument between us. Sometimes, I feel like he sees them as his only "true family".

He's been spending all of his free time with them and neglecting our relationship. If I complain that I've barely seen him in a given week, he'll accuse me of being jealous and preventing him from being a father. The time he spends with his children already goes way beyond his allocated parenting time, though. Some of the things he's said also make me suspect he talks to his ex-wife about the details of our relationship, which I find wildly inappropriate.

I get being friends with your ex, especially if you have children together, but it seems like he's trying to blur the boundaries. I believe he wants to have both his new and old life. I don't want to share him like that, though. That's not what a committed relationship is.

This is why I'm reluctant to move in together before we can tackle this issue. Problem is, my boyfriend doesn't see one and I'm not sure what to do. When I mention being unsatisfied, he tells me I'm always welcome to hang out with him and his family. That's not even the problem, though. He's putting me in an awkward position and I feel like it's deliberate.

Please give me some advice on how to deal with this.

Tl;dr: I'm supposed to move in with my boyfriend of 2 years, but he won't let go of his old life. I'm concerned and don't know what this means for our relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Haifisch posted:

My (22M) boyfriend (34M) spends all of his time with his ex-wife (34F) and children (11F/9M)

Kinda glosses over what these arguments are that causes him to go running to his family. That kind of seems like a big issue.

One thing I would recommend is taking him up on his offer and going to the house with his boyfriend whenever he does. Maybe you'll learn something about what's going on, and it couldn't hurt to have some sort of relationship with the kids either.

Also, they are his true family, man. You are his boyfriend of 2 years, they have been his kids for 11 and 9 years. They do and should come first