Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Refried Noodle posted:

I’ve been wondering if I’m missing a synergy with that card. Maybe with clockwork souvenir it’s alright? Then again, that means one fewer status effect blocked.
It can also be used to kick off Limit Break if you don't have any other strength sources, though obviously you'd have to be pretty desperate or have Pyramid or lots of card draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
That got patched a while back, limit break now doubles the drop as well (unless it got changed back and I didn't notice).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I don't think it ever got patched, the card still says lose 2/4 strength.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Flex is one of those cards which I would pick when I'm doing a stress free broken run where everyone drops relics everywhere and I get to draft my deck and curses make me stronger and I just want to see hilariously big numbers.

Generally I'll pass on it though, too often it's a weak draw.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gitro posted:

That got patched a while back, limit break now doubles the drop as well (unless it got changed back and I didn't notice).
Nah - it's a totally separate effect that makes you lose 4 strength at the end of your turn. You can block it with artifact even. Limit Break changes your current strength, not your future strength changes. It works just like steroid potions.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nah - it's a totally separate effect that makes you lose 4 strength at the end of your turn. You can block it with artifact even. Limit Break changes your current strength, not your future strength changes. It works just like steroid potions.

some wiki posted:

Since Patch 36, Limit Break will now also double negative Strength.

I don't think I've been in a position to use it myself since then, but I'm not misremembering patch notes.

e: been trying to test that in play but game doesn't want to co-operate, idk if you can even draft rares though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Gitro posted:

I don't think I've been in a position to use it myself since then, but I'm not misremembering patch notes.
Flex itself can't get you into negative strength, it just adds 2 (or 4) and applies a debuff that subtracts the same amount at the end of the turn. For your strength to become negative you need to be debuffed, eg by Lagavulin

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gitro posted:

e: been trying to test that in play but game doesn't want to co-operate, idk if you can even draft rares though.

That says that Limit Break doubles negative strength, eg if you have negative 2 Strength and play Limit Break you will now have negative 4 Strength. The "Lose 2 Strength" debuff that Flex applies is completely separate from your strength stat and is not altered by Limit Break.

So you can play flex for 2 strength, play limit break to double to 4 strength, and then the debuff takes away 2 strength at the end of the turn. Net gain: 2 strength.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oh my god this whole time I've been misinterpreting it, what the gently caress

That's just such a weird change to make, I guess I processed it as the thing that interacted with something you'd do, rather than something you'd never do??? I guess for exactly the what, mayhem/havoc potential interactions? I don't know. How it used to work?

My mind is completely blown right now, drat.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 25, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I just tested it out and Limit Break doesn't double the negative strength debuff. Also A0 is very easy when you get to draft a deck, huh.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah same, i was wondering how I'd never noticed until now but I guess it's not the most common interaction to pull off

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gitro posted:

Oh my god this whole time I've been misinterpreting it, what the gently caress

That's just such a weird change to make, I guess I processed it as the thing that interacted with something you'd do, rather than something you'd never do??? I guess for exactly the what, mayhem/havoc potential interactions? I don't know. How it used to work?

My mind is completely blown right now, drat.

There might have been some kind of unusual interaction or exploit from Limit Breaking after getting debuffed by Lagavulin or Spire Shield, so they changed it to enforce mathematical consistency.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RyokoTK posted:

There might have been some kind of unusual interaction or exploit from Limit Breaking after getting debuffed by Lagavulin or Spire Shield, so they changed it to enforce mathematical consistency.

It was probably some double-negative sign fuckery that caused it to either end up as zero or as an absolute value.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

babypolis posted:

Never pick flex, its a really bad card

It was a transformed card that was always lower priority when removing other stuff from my deck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so it goes

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I really like the Ironclad's deck manipulation commons. Headbutt might be my favorite card; it recurs your best damage cards in act 1, your combo pieces once you get a cohesive deck together, and whatever you need once you get a feel for the enemies' patterns. Headbutting a Whirlwind when the gremlin leader is about to summon feels pretty pretty good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s funny how much better and more useful Headbutt is that Rebound despite them both being very similar ways to manipulate your next draw.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Rebound is a bit more restrictive, plus Defect also has hologram which fills the same role better.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Why is Flex considered to be so bad?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It just doesn't do very much. Early on you're likely to be drawing it with strikes, so the maximum value turn is strike x3 for an extra 6 damage. If you draw it with less attack or on a turn where you have to spend energy on block or a 2 cost attack, it does even less. The best case for it is with stuff like limit break or a multihit but then you have to draw it on the same turn as those, which is an extra barrier to it being useful.

Compare to anger: early on it also does 6 damage but unconditionally, you can play it on the same turn you block or bash, benefits from strength, it doesn't trigger Nob.

That's not to say it's never good! If you have a deck with artifact charges, or runic pyramid and limit break or something it can be fine to take. It's a card that is easy to overvalue early on in your spire slaying career, I know I took it a whole lot starting out when I really shouldn't have.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Flex also scales better with certain cards. Anything multi-hit(pummel, twin strike, sword boomerang, whirlwind) along with heavy blade make it better. But yeah - anger is certainly a better card by default. I take it far less than I did when I started, especially unupgraded, but I don't think it's quite trash.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Same. It's almost better to take later when you get an upgraded offer and you know you'll be drawing really heavily.

Just beat the heart on silent for the first time. Got the no rest relic in act one and Pandora's box in act two and thought I was dead for sure. But managed to grab the apparition event which basically made it a breeze with four DPs (lol), corpse explosion, and one catalyst+.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I got my first Heart-kill a few days ago on A0 Ironclad. Had 2 hp left, last energy for the round, and would have died if I hadn't finished it then. Felt immensely satisfying.

I've also been enjoying Slimebound as a breather every now and then. Snecko too, but that mod still has a ton of bugs in it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

babypolis posted:

Never pick flex, its a really bad card

Really? Why?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

metachronos posted:

Really? Why?

It's not bad, but it's very situational and usually not good. In the early game, it needs to be drawn on a turn where you have attacks in your hand AND are free to attack. All that for 2 to 6 damage. Compare to Anger, which is 6 damage for the same cost unconditionally.

It gets better with synergy. I'll take a Flex+ if I have more card draw than mana (Runic Pyramid counts for this) and some strength synergies. 20 damage with Heavy Blade+ or 12 aoe with a Whirlwind are closer to worth it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Unless I have a lot of card draw or some zero-cost shenanigans, I tend to limit myself to one or two at the most cards that are primarily good because they're free. This usually includes Flex, Slice, Deflect. Maybe two Deflect in a Blur/poison deck.

I might take Flex+ or even a Flex if I have a Limit Break or two but no way to gain strength yet. Otherwise, I pretty much never take it because Body Slam exists, and that's a free card (when upgraded, but it's a priority) I like a lot more.

Since Heavy Blade is a common, I tend not to take that until I already have strength gain somehow, at which point I don't really need Flex that much.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jeffrey and I were playing some Defect to advance my ascension

We got an early mummified hand and then poo poo got REAL

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I'll usually take an early Slice or Claw for the same reason I'll take an early Anger. Extra damage is nice for building a strong run off act 1 elites. Slice is probably the worst of the three; Anger works well with Ironclad's strength stuff and you can use exhaust to stay just as angry as you like, Claw scales and has support from Hologram and All For One. Slice works with Silent's strong common draw cards, but you usually want to work toward poison damage instead.

But I love Deflect more than any of the other free cards. Footwork, Well Laid Plans, and the draw cards make it a beast. And poison makes defense more appealing. If I have dex, Defend and Deflect and Bouncing Flask is a sweet act 2 play.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Congrats! But lol at your luck with three Go For The Eyes+ in a Snecko Meteor deck.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Gridlocked posted:

praise snecko, my brother

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

palamedes posted:

Congrats! But lol at your luck with three Go For The Eyes+ in a Snecko Meteor deck.

Pre-snecko it was the Powers to discount meteor strike deck

Then snecko happened.

Then Snecko + Echo Form + Meteor + Mummified hand deck happened. If it wasn't already 0 cost when I draw it; it became 0 cost seconds later.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Lagavulin softlocked me after a great start on A20. I loving hate this game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This is Baby's First Heart Kill, but I may have overdone the flexing:

Naturally, the Limit Breaks both showed up on turn 1 with nothing really to double, and I only survived because I drew Flex x3/Heavy Blade/Feed right before I was about to die.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
No Strikes removed, no card draw except a Pommel+, and a Mark of Pain. You beautiful lunatic.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This might be the dumbest deck I've had in a while, but watching the heart suicide itself on me was a lot of fun, and stacked Necronomicon chokes alongside a bazillion 0-cost powers are very fun.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHqce692D34

JoINrbs has the dumbest A20 run I've ever seen recorded.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Cynic Jester posted:

That was a wild ride. Silly how quickly it ramped at the end.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Climbing the ascensions on the defect was really easy, i lost 4 times on A17 but then beat 18, 19 and 20 on my first try.

I was gonna progress evenly on the characters but the wins just kept coming for the defect, the other two characters are at A12

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

"Mummified Hand seems decent"

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

"Mummified Hand seems decent"

playing defect. see mummified hand. cry a little because everything is gonna be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mummified Hand on Defect is like seeing Dead Branch on Ironclad or Kunai on Silent. Just a positive vibe.