Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Or to put it in a less blue way:

not actually Harold Bloom posted:

I'll worship sweet Mr Shakespeare and to honour him will lay his Venus and Adonis under my pillow, as we read of one – I do not well remember his name, but I'm sure he was a king – slept with Homer under his bed's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymus Alloy posted:

[wet sputtering] the Finns, the damned Finns! are the school of resentment and BOTL is the worst of them! I would grind Sanderson's bones to bake my bread, euhhhm, the ephebe experiences agon in contemplation of the illustrious dead, euhhmm, oh, to be an ephebe to Tolkien, to have the professor's lovely cock in my pert little rear end, there would be no misreading my love for him; but this is precisely why i am not a linguist, for I dare not correct the master, euhhm! drat the Finns!!!!!

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
Joke: Death of the author

Toke: Death of the """""""""theme"""""""""""

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It feels wrong that BotL isn’t in cat jail. Can’t you post a few trenchant insights and then go antagonize some more mods? What is this thread even about anymore?

Anyway Deathh if the Author is like all lit crit or philosophy: a mind blowing thought experiment when you first encounter it, that you then can move on with your life and never apply because it literally doesn’t apply to the real world ever. It is not the Rosetta Stone for unlocking how literature works; at best it’s one more tool in the toolbox for thinking about how effective a work is.

Anyway I’m reading Dting Earth and it’s pretty funny

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

poisonpill posted:

It feels wrong that BotL isn’t in cat jail. Can’t you post a few trenchant insights and then go antagonize some more mods? What is this thread even about anymore?

Anyway Deathh if the Author is like all lit crit or philosophy: a mind blowing thought experiment when you first encounter it, that you then can move on with your life and never apply because it literally doesn’t apply to the real world ever. It is not the Rosetta Stone for unlocking how literature works; at best it’s one more tool in the toolbox for thinking about how effective a work is.

Anyway I’m reading Dting Earth and it’s pretty funny

someone else can take this one

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

chernobyl kinsman posted:

im gonna link you to it because im a kinder, better person than mel

for further reading you might be interested in wimsatt & beardsley's intentional fallacy

e: someone post that .jpg of the guy discussing the death of the author and concluding that "authors are here to stay"

Probably a bit deep down the rabbit hole to look for casual curiosity but E D Hirsch Jr's book Validity in Interpretation argues the opposing case

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Has this thread poo poo on David Weber's books any? I feel like there's some fertile ground for it, I dunno.

Just a feeling when when people in the Scifi thread haven't been allowed to recommend him for like a decade.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if it wont make the scifi thread mad then whats the point

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

if it wont make the scifi thread mad then whats the point

Well, it'd make someone mad, since someone had to keep recommending it and throwing the thread into a fight.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i like the expanse books and all but i feel like they'd be more interesting sci-fi current series to talk about than weber

edit: he said as he walked across the room and put his half-eaten noodles into the recycler

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 27, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

poisonpill posted:

The more accurately I can calibrate my Effectiveness Scale for the books I read, the better.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
TheGreatEvilKing already made a Weber post.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the Expanse books having everyone carry around their "hand terminal" is the funniest stupid sci fi thing, im pretty sure if we're still around in 23whatever we'll still call them "phones"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Death of the Author is a messed up essay. It is an assault on the concept of free will, and it substitutes how the ancient world thought of inspiration (as coming from daimons) with a materialist source (culture of the time). It's this incoherent mess which straddles this weird line between trying to be ultra-materialist while bordering on the mystical.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CountFosco posted:

It is an assault on the concept of free will

lol ok

CountFosco posted:

It's this incoherent mess which straddles this weird line between trying to be ultra-materialist while bordering on the mystical.

I think you read the wrong essay

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
also, separately, lol of course free will doesn't exist come on now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CountFosco posted:

Death of the Author is a messed up essay. It is an assault on the concept of free will, and it substitutes how the ancient world thought of inspiration (as coming from daimons) with a materialist source (culture of the time). It's this incoherent mess which straddles this weird line between trying to be ultra-materialist while bordering on the mystical.

source your quotes

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

another stupid sci fi thing is using the United Nations as the future one world government. The Forever War, The Expanse, many others do this.

Even Starcraft had the sense to have a fascist Earth future unistate.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CountFosco posted:

this is correct and attempts to de-radicalize Barthes always read as apologetics

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Hmm no, no offense but it's wild nonsense. There are radical positions in Barthes but Death of the Author contains or suggests none of that second-hand pop philosophy stuff

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if continental philosophers would rein in their tendency toward obscurantism, everyone could agree what their essays even say in the first place and these exchanges would be more pleasant and productive

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if continental philosophers were to reign in their tendency towards obscurantism the sun would fall from the heavens and the seas would turn red as blood

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 27, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i knew a prof who was for a long time actively campaigning for greater simplicity in academic writing in all fields, not just philosophy (but particularly the humanities). he said the french just told him to gently caress off, like, all the time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the idea that a text can discuss the obscurity of literature without itself being obscure is absurd

those who find critical theory to be obscure are missing the point

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Death of the Author (and Camera Lucida, the other Barthes I've read) is like reading through the funny pages when it comes how light and easy it is.

Edit: And to be clear, the funny pages to which I refer are The Funday Times from when I was seven, something Murdoch has ripped from the weekend newspaper, leaving only The Telly Guide (The Culture supplement) as a reason to buy it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Death of the Author (and Camera Lucida, the other Barthes I've read) is like reading through the funny pages when it comes how light and easy it is.

Yeah, Barthes is my go-to for introducing people to literary theory because he is pretty clear, all things considered

Like take a Judith Butler and now we're talking some impenetrable poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Barthes's argument is that "the Author" is just a fiction, a rhetorical device. Obviously there's a person who wrote the book, but writing is an act of copying, synthesizing, and distilling other texts. There is no secret Authorial essence that makes a text unique, but a sum of influences united in the experience of the Reader.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

if continental philosophers would rein in their tendency toward obscurantism, everyone could agree what their essays even say in the first place and these exchanges would be more pleasant and productive

There are a lot of texts from that era that are genuinely quite abstruse but Death of the Author really isn't very obscure at all on top of being exceedingly short. There isn't much of an excuse to straight up invent things you think it might say like that

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, Barthes is my go-to for introducing people to literary theory because he is pretty clear, all things considered

Not only is he clear, but as with my reference to The Funday Times, he's an entertaining, funny writer. There's a lot of levity in how he writes.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the idea that a text can discuss the obscurity of literature without itself being obscure is absurd

those who find critical theory to be obscure are missing the point

*clears throat uncomfortably*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

bad writing done with intent is still bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Not only is he clear, but as with my reference to The Funday Times, he's an entertaining, funny writer. There's a lot of levity in how he writes.

A lot of continental literary critics write in that sort of playful style

I remember when I went to grad school for linguistics I got an F on my first few papers because I was a lit undergrad and kept writing scientific reports in the style of a critical theorist.

Like, turning in ironic research reports with metacommentary and poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*clears throat uncomfortably*

Well then one would have to argue why obscurity makes for bad writing

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

lost in postation posted:

There are a lot of texts from that era that are genuinely quite abstruse but Death of the Author really isn't very obscure at all on top of being exceedingly short. There isn't much of an excuse to straight up invent things you think it might say like that

i do actually disagree with the free will bit but otherwise i'm inventing nothing nor do i expect CountFosco was inventing anything: these are ideas i took as implicit within the text.

i.e., from the way that Barthes describes "the reader" without history or psychology etc. in precisely the function of the shamanistic mediator he speaks of earlier. This is the kind of 'mystical' advocacy that CountFosco refers to.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 27, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well then one would have to argue why obscurity makes for bad writing

Judith Butler posted:

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

and she's not even french

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

yeah sorry that owns op

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
:froggonk:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

What is this "death of the author" thing anyway? I've seen it referenced several times here and just came across it on a book I'm reading on French Theory and it seems important

he was run over by a laundry van

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

if continental philosophers were to reign in their tendency towards obscurantism the sun would fall from the heavens and the seas would turn red as blood
But they do reign in it. :engleft:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

and she's not even french
That excerpt is a model of clarity and directness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
People talk poo poo about Judith Butler for using big words, but she is never anything but straightforward in her use of them.