Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mulderman posted:

And if that is not enough, there's this little gemstone from the slave traders wiki page:

Relationship
Naofumi: They have a more business like relation and was thrilled to work with Naofumi. He was willing to aid Naofumi for his own reasons. Upon Naofumi’s request, he searches for and collects slaves who were former villagers of Raphtalia’s village. He admires Naofumi's business mind

I think her whole village was sold into slavery so Naofumi's just telling the slave trader to look for them so he can buy and release them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

I think her whole village was sold into slavery so Naofumi's just telling the slave trader to look for them so he can buy and release them.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
More Wiki fun:
While Naofumi considers the Slave Merchant to be a useful person due to his role in providing him with various slaves for his growing army, he does not indicate any real trust for the man. The merchant has noted that Naofumi has good business sense, and is not an easy man to deceive, and refers to Naofumi as his favorite customer. Naofumi on the other hand creeps out on the slave merchant.

He never mistreated or exploited any of the slaves under him and has disciplined them only when they refuse to do as ordered. This same treatment extends to literally all of the slaves he comes to own, with them even coming to treat him like a parent figure in return. He also spoils and rewards them when they give it their all and perform well like giving a ball to Raphtalia and cooking for all his slaves even in the middle of the night.

---------------------------

I mean I don't know how to make it much more clear than this. Shield Hero is a scumbag. There might have been a point where he had to rely on a slave. But that has long since past. After he had entire villages believing and rooting for him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No guys the slaves are totally following him of their own free will because they get their rear end beat if they don't

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sword dad and skull knight aren’t epitomes of intelligent writing but even they know what you do with slavers: loving merk them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, one of the central fantasies of this sort of story is for a previously powerless person to be given a whole world that they can reshape as they see fit. Slavery fetishism is an unpleasant but very logical extension of that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mulderman posted:

More Wiki fun:
While Naofumi considers the Slave Merchant to be a useful person due to his role in providing him with various slaves for his growing army, he does not indicate any real trust for the man. The merchant has noted that Naofumi has good business sense, and is not an easy man to deceive, and refers to Naofumi as his favorite customer. Naofumi on the other hand creeps out on the slave merchant.

He never mistreated or exploited any of the slaves under him and has disciplined them only when they refuse to do as ordered. This same treatment extends to literally all of the slaves he comes to own, with them even coming to treat him like a parent figure in return. He also spoils and rewards them when they give it their all and perform well like giving a ball to Raphtalia and cooking for all his slaves even in the middle of the night.

---------------------------

I mean I don't know how to make it much more clear than this. Shield Hero is a scumbag. There might have been a point where he had to rely on a slave. But that has long since past. After he had entire villages believing and rooting for him.
What issues?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, hot take.

Slavery is very bad and should ban hammered with extreme prejudice.

End of take.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

slavery is almost the bottom of the barrel of quality of life for a person, so it's a super brainless way to give a protagonist good guy points for opposing it, and a really easy way to recruit companions for an adventure since it's easy to write someone who'd rather go on an adventure than be a slave, with the added aspect of them probably feeling indebted to the protagonist for saving them

One of the worst things about many of these web novels is that, in addition to being power fantasies, they're also usually "everyone loves/adores you" fantasies. There are almost always various contrived reasons for other people to love and adore the protagonist, who is usually in a position to easily help/uplift people (usually due to the "power" part of the fantasy, or being able to provide people with modern technology, etc). So you end up with countless instances of people praising protagonist-sama and thanking them for helping/saving them. It's honestly nauseating and one of the biggest reasons I can't deal with stuff like the slime isekai.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

One of the worst things about many of these web novels is that, in addition to being power fantasies, they're also usually "everyone loves/adores you" fantasies. There are almost always various contrived reasons for other people to love and adore the protagonist, who is usually in a position to easily help/uplift people (usually due to the "power" part of the fantasy, or being able to provide people with modern technology, etc). So you end up with countless instances of people praising protagonist-sama and thanking them for helping/saving them. It's honestly nauseating and one of the biggest reasons I can't deal with stuff like the slime isekai.

Slime isekai is feudalism and colonialism apologia made into moving drawing with sound.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Yes, the author was writing about a character, not themselves.

which character

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

which character

A character called Arch/Ark/アーク.

http://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/172188/blogkey/774887/index.php?p=10 posted:

その代替案としてアークを出す事になりました。
この子は作者の昔の作品のキャラで、設定が似通っていたので引っ張って来ました。
ちなみに自分称は僕ですが、性別はありません。

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i can't find any images to determine if they're #Good Representation or not but I'm glad, in theory

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a lot of almost interesting things you could do with slavery the way the system is presented in shield hero but shield hero is really bad and the author seems to have really hosed up issues with women

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bad news everyone

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...strator/.143852

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Can someone please make a wiki article about naming loving stories better for these 'authors' to read? Or are they paid by the letter?

quote:

I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero (Onna yūsha ni jibun no seidorei ni naranai to party wo tsuihō suru to odosareta no de ridatsu wo sentaku shimasu)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The long descriptive title exists on purpose so that people reading the stories online or only able to see a spine can grab the gist of a story and decide to read, both marketplaces are very crowded. Japanese is also a more dense language than english to begin with.

In english the long descriptive titles were also popular premodern era for the same reason, but were normally subtitles or alternate titles, or chapter titles that explain the entire content of that chapter in the case of works that were published as serials in papers and recollected later.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

quote:

Twitter users have speculated that the trigger for Ginkyoku's initial angry tweets was a tweet Monety made on February 9, saying, "I think it's around time for me to draw a rape manga. After drawing so many illustrations that don't push the envelope, I've been getting backed up." Monety also wrote in a reply: "I get bored of just drawing 'safe' ero illustrations." It is thought that Ginkyoku interpreted these tweets to mean that Monety had a low opinion of the light novel itself.

...Amazing. :catstare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Can someone please make a wiki article about naming loving stories better for these 'authors' to read? Or are they paid by the letter?
I think something similar to this was one of my first posts as a newly-minted goon about 6 years ago. It was about My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected to be specific; funnily enough, said series ended up becoming one of my favorite light novels and I'm waiting for the last volume to ship to me next month.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Reading the name of that thing, I was like "is this a parody?" and reading the synopsis of the novel "this gotta be a parody", but apparently it is just straight and I'm loving dead.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
omg it was all bad enough then I read the last paragraph with the plot summary and age of the main character :psyboom:

everyone involved in this thing is terrible jesus christ

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The long descriptive title exists on purpose so that people reading the stories online or only able to see a spine can grab the gist of a story and decide to read, both marketplaces are very crowded. Japanese is also a more dense language than english to begin with.

In english the long descriptive titles were also popular premodern era for the same reason, but were normally subtitles or alternate titles, or chapter titles that explain the entire content of that chapter in the case of works that were published as serials in papers and recollected later.

The classic example is 'The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates'.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

The classic example is 'The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates'.
Learn something new every day. That's a mouthful of a title but I'm kind of interested in seeing a guy survive some eight and twenty years.

SpartanIvy posted:

I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero (Onna yūsha ni jibun no seidorei ni naranai to party wo tsuihō suru to odosareta no de ridatsu wo sentaku shimasu)
That title however does not fill me with any confidence

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Please read my upcoming light novel, "Light Novel About Sex Slave Cancelled After Author's Heated Tweets Against Illustrator"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

Please read my upcoming light novel, "Light Novel About Sex Slave Cancelled After Author's Heated Tweets Against Illustrator, goes to another world and makes everyone slaves who have to like him, or else."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Daniel Defoe was definitely channelling that light novel spirit before light novels came to be. Consider Moll Flanders, or, to give it its full title, 'The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, Etc. Who Was Born In Newgate, and During a Life of Continu'd Variety For Threescore Years, Besides Her Childhood, Was Twelve Year a Whore, Five Times a Wife [Whereof Once To Her Own Brother], Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon In Virginia, At Last Grew Rich, Liv'd Honest, and Died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums.'

The reason for all this was that novels of the time lacked blurbs, so the title was where you explained exactly what the book was about for any curious readers.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

BattleMaster posted:

Please read my upcoming light novel, "Light Novel About Sex Slave Cancelled After Author's Heated Tweets Against Illustrator"

"Your Demands for Me To Log Off Have Been Ignored and Have Only Succeeded in Making the Opinions in This Light Novel Worse"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gulliver's Travels is officially Gulliver's Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships.

Defoe has other great titles like Memoirs of a Cavalier; or A Military Journal of the Wars in Germany, and the Wars in England. From the Years 1632 to 1648. Written threescore years ago, by an English gentleman, who served first in the army of Gustavus Adolphus, the Glorious King of Sweden, till his death, and after that in the Royal Army of King Charles the First, from the beginning of the Rebellion to the end of the War.

But some works buck the trend with short titles, like Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded and The Vicar of Wakefield – A Tale, Supposed to be written by Himself.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It was disppointing to see that it was cancelled not because it's about twelve year old sex slaves, but because the author got huffy when the artist called it a "rape manga".

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Galvanik posted:

It was disppointing to see that it was cancelled not because it's about twelve year old sex slaves, but because the author got huffy when the artist called it a "rape manga".

It sounds like the author was upset because he thought the artist was complaining that it wasn't enough of a rape manga.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

If you can't make the story unique, might as well make sure the name is :shrug:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

At the very least, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.
"I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero"
paints a very clear picture of what to expect. Unlike
"Rising of the Shield Hero"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

this mangaka has some interesting ideas about the family dynamics of the scarlet devil mansion

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Those titles and these subject matters are fine and dandy for livejournal like stories posted on what amounts to a fan-fiction website (albeit at least all the stories are in their own universes), but you'd think for novelization or anime adaption, they'd soften the material or at least change major offensive points for mass consumption.

Then again, judging by comments on other boards, apparently stuff like Shield Hero is "acceptable" to the point where they don't get why it is problematic, but they just love that it pisses off SJWs.

It's like, loving hell guys.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mulderman posted:

At the very least, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.
"I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero"
paints a very clear picture of what to expect. Unlike
"Rising of the Shield Hero"

i mean the first title still leaves out "and then i found some girl in a dungeon and made her my sex slave for some reason."

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Elfgames posted:

i mean the first title still leaves out "and then i found some girl in a dungeon and made her my sex slave for some reason."

Yes but the title alone combined with the cover art should really tell you all you need to know about the contents of a story like that. Like look at what you're holding, are you really surprised there's even more smut hidden among those pages?

Now compare that to this. You could pick this up based on the cover and title alone thinking. This'll be a fun adventure with grumpy shield guy and raccoon girl. And then we'll... get Shield Hero.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Shield Hero should be an adaption of a shields only run of Dark Souls.

Including abominationface protagonist.

Or Handsome Squidward.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Shield Hero should be an adaption of a shields only run of Dark Souls.

Including abominationface protagonist.

Or Handsome Squidward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ANN_2qU0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ViggyNash posted:

So, hot take.

Slavery is very bad and should ban hammered with extreme prejudice.

End of take.

Most people agree, but we are having issues with getting rid of it 100% in the US of A. Maybe in a hundred more years?