Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

it's well known that tech companies are completely averse to states with high taxes, which is why they're all headquartered in *checks note scrawled on back of hand* california?

Also Amazon literally already has an office in NYC. Which they will still be expanding by 5k people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody have opinions about the election next week? I know Jumaane has great endorsements but my councilor Rafael Espinal showed up to an arts advocacy group meeting (NYC Artist Coalition, we were instrumental in overturning the Cabaret Law and are working on MARCH raids and housing protections next) and I thought that was rad, but I fear progressive vote splitting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wouldn't worry too much because Jumaane's got a lot of name recognition and has been showing up to everything related to this race. i'm gonna vote for him. if i were you, i'd still vote for him anyway because most of the job of public advocate is just showing up, and Jumaane's done a lot of that over the years. Espinal is a big defender of NYC nightlife and or Ron Kim was one of the first people to speak out against the Amazon deal, but by comparison they've been pretty quiet over the years

someone mentioned Konst here, and she's good on the issues, but she hasn't really been showing up to stuff since DSA declined to endorse anybody. she didn't appear at the brooklyn county committee meeting the other week. one of my Queens DSA pals thinks she's trying to take too much credit for the rejection of the Amazon deal

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Feb 21, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I was going to post about konst as well but my nagging feeling about how she's gotten an outsized amount of attention paid within pretty small circles jives with those tidbits.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Counterpoint: unless someone is planning to kill the mayor, Public Advocate is a do nothing job with no power so who cares

Unless one of you is planning to murder bill deblasio, just vote for who you like and do t sweat trying to metagame this clown car of a race too hard.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Upstate lawmaker wants to know economic impact of separating New York City and surrounding counties from state

quote:

An upstate lawmaker wants to know if it makes cents to split New York in two.

State Sen. Daphne Jordan (R-Halfmoon) introduced a bill last week that would create a panel within the state controller's office to study the economic impact of upstate New York severing ties with the city and surrounding counties.

Jordan's bill defines upstate as all counties north of Long Island, New York City, Westchester and Rockland counties.

A memo with the bill claims that the “two regions have extremely divergent political and social views.”

The bill would create a “working group” to study the “short and long term economic ramifications, including economic opportunities, of splitting the state.”

Past studies have found that upstate wouldn’t fare too well without the taxes generated in Gotham and its surrounding suburbs. An analysis last year by Politifact found that nearly 70% of the income tax collected by the state comes from the area Jordan has dubbed “downstate.”

Dead in the water, naturally, but talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they're banking on the erie canal having a comeback

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

they're banking on the erie canal having a comeback

It's the Erie Canal, not the Erie Can'tal!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is there a reservoir on metro north? The port authority war trains are standing by.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, wait, we already had this discussion. Maybe we should be on that fact-finding panel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

i wouldn't worry too much because Jumaane's got a lot of name recognition and has been showing up to everything related to this race. i'm gonna vote for him. if i were you, i'd still vote for him anyway because most of the job of public advocate is just showing up, and Jumaane's done a lot of that over the years. Espinal is a big defender of NYC nightlife and or Ron Kim was one of the first people to speak out against the Amazon deal, but by comparison they've been pretty quiet over the years

someone mentioned Konst here, and she's good on the issues, but she hasn't really been showing up to stuff since DSA declined to endorse anybody. she didn't appear at the brooklyn county committee meeting the other week. one of my Queens DSA pals thinks she's trying to take too much credit for the rejection of the Amazon deal

Public Advocate is supposed to be a gadfly, a person willing to take all interests. And the biggest interest in NYC is the real estate lobby. Konst is the only viable candidate that's never taken any money from them. It also helps she's never been a politician in a race rife with them for a job that is supposed to be official annoying journalist of the city.

I'm not alone in thinking so:
https://www.thevillager.com/2019/02/wanted-candidates-wholl-fight-big-real-estate/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i heard someone at a recent DSA event say that she has taken real estate money in this race. not a lot, but not nothing. what she definitely did take was half of a Steve Bannon associate's donation and was called out by Ross Barkan for not giving it all back

Konst should definitely run for another office in the future, though. once you get a taste of running, sometimes you catch the bug

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Feb 22, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The failing New York Times endorsed jumaane so I’m not voting for him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not voting for any of these people. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my assemblymember (Bobby Carroll) is having a town hall meeting on Monday, and i was gonna ask if he's looking to re-introduce his bill to make switching parties not a joke. today i found out that there are two such bills already:
  • the one that has support is one that moves it to 90 days before an election
  • the one that Carroll supports moves it to 10 days before an election. a lot of people aren't touching that one because they're afraid of primaries, which is bullshit. i want to call Zellnor Myrie's office to see if he does
  • we can't do same-day party switching because the state constitution limits it to a minimum of 10 days before an election. lol forever at New York

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Anecdotal evidence but I've met Nomiki and am close friends with someone who worked with her a decent amount. She strikes me as a huge opportunist that would latch on to anything to boost her career.

She also never paid my friend for some side work he did so maybe he's just bitter.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

punch drunk posted:

Anecdotal evidence but I've met Nomiki and am close friends with someone who worked with her a decent amount. She strikes me as a huge opportunist that would latch on to anything to boost her career.

She also never paid my friend for some side work he did so maybe he's just bitter.
she comes off as kinda sketchy in this interview

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/PhilSteck/status/1099827607426789376

LOL

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Is it legal to film community board/Civic association meetings in New York? My friend has run into a lot of resistance for taping the last few meetings after the Civic board outright lied about a few things and got very hostile. It seems like it is perfectly legal but they also preemptively threatened to call the police on anyone filming.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

now that the amazon deal is dead and buried, Andrea Stewart-Cousins quietly withdrew Mike Gianaris's nomination to the Public Authorities Control Board (and insulting Cuomo while doing so) and replaced him with Leroy Comrie, a senator who represents southeast Queens. if you thought that no new drama would come of this, as i did, think again. Comrie has expressed reservations towards the construction of the new hockey arena for the New York Islanders, which lies just outside his district across the county line. the project will be privately funded but will also cause more car and train traffic. he wants assurances that both of these things will be allievated

this could be nothing, but Gianaris wasn't supposed to stop Amazon from coming into Queens, so if the Islanders move to Quebec, it might be for the same reason. it must be said, though, that it's a privately funded project and not a $3 billion waste of money, so there's plenty of room for compromise. i'm a dirty Devils fan but it would be a shame to see the Islanders leave

Accident Underwater posted:

Is it legal to film community board/Civic association meetings in New York? My friend has run into a lot of resistance for taping the last few meetings after the Civic board outright lied about a few things and got very hostile. It seems like it is perfectly legal but they also preemptively threatened to call the police on anyone filming.
i can't see why it would be illegal, but i would do a little bit of research just to be on the safe side

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Feb 27, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

keep the islanders in brooklyn they got a drat stadium jezzus christ these loving teams and their loving stadiums

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Real hurthling! posted:

keep the islanders in brooklyn they got a drat stadium jezzus christ these loving teams and their loving stadiums

they should move to KC and gtfo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

have you ever seen hockey at Barclays Center? it's the worst. it's so bad that they're playing half of their home games at the Coliseum. the fact that this privately funded arena is causing such a headache shows how venomously NIMBY Nassau County is

btw, Islanders fans still hate Kathleen Rice, and she's white. Comrie is black. if this falls through, he's gonna get racist death threats

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

btw Jumaane won the special election by a comfortable amount. i hope everybody itt wants some more electioneering because this is the first of up to four elections relating to public advocate. that's something i didn't actually know about until yesterday. politics doesn't stop

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

btw Jumaane won the special election by a comfortable amount. i hope everybody itt wants some more electioneering because this is the first of up to four elections relating to public advocate. that's something i didn't actually know about until yesterday. politics doesn't stop

the most important election of our lifetime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unbutthurtable posted:

the most important election of our lifetime.

Public Advocate? Why? People seem pretty eager to leave it to become Mayor or AG.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

have you ever seen hockey at Barclays Center? it's the worst. it's so bad that they're playing half of their home games at the Coliseum. the fact that this privately funded arena is causing such a headache shows how venomously NIMBY Nassau County is

actually it owned because you could watch a great nfl team play the islanders for like $20 a pop

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

actually it owned because you could watch a great nfl team play the islanders for like $20 a pop

we need more sport crossovers like that

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so is there an explanation for this where Salazar doesn’t come off badly? not well versed in the issue at hand, I admit

https://twitter.com/gothamist/status/1100814231098847232?s=21

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who are these ppl btw? The only people I've ever seen having a loft are on the wealthier/whiter side of things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The rich white version of loft is an apartment in a formerly industrial building that was rezoned and fully converted into residences. These lofts are apartments in buildings that are still active industrial sites so it's technically illegal to have anyone living there. The law in question would regulate these lofts and place limits and obligations on the landlords just like any other rental property.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh, okay, thanks. I admit I don't know much about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

losing even more manufacturing space in the city is held up as the trade off but there wouldnt be people living there in the first place if there was such demand for factory leases, right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

The rich white version of loft is an apartment in a formerly industrial building that was rezoned and fully converted into residences. These lofts are apartments in buildings that are still active industrial sites so it's technically illegal to have anyone living there. The law in question would regulate these lofts and place limits and obligations on the landlords just like any other rental property.

this is very good information and made me want to learn more so I'm gonna! thanks

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

losing even more manufacturing space in the city is held up as the trade off but there wouldnt be people living there in the first place if there was such demand for factory leases, right?

It sounds like it just got rezoned so maybe that's the key difference.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Were missing the important part of this story people.

quote:

Joe Fattorusso, 33, a loft tenant in Bushwick, said that the roughly 80 residents in his building represent a "mixed community."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Joe Flatulenso

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love my half indian fattorosso son

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1101279618148036609

LOL, how does he expect to do this, exactly?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1101348218242195456

You, a buffoon: public oversight about state grants, especially by the people affected by the resulting actions, is good.

Me, a genius: you idiot, let two people in a backroom handle it and to hell with your mafia ways

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Sure do wonder why they'd wanna excise Rockland County, which has been recognized as one of the highest income counties in the US, with some towns seen as the best place to launch businesses in NY, and with like half of the land dedicated to beautiful parklands that preserve the region's historic character and natural beauty.

What a total mystery.