Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

I could see goblet squats being used in an off or accessory day. That would make some sense.

But why, though? They're so awkward-looking. They're a first day of PT exercise for people scared of using the bars and plates.

Stick a pair of green plates on a big boy bar for your accessory work (off days seem to be for gambling and playing Fortnite for pro athletes, not gym work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

But why, though? They're so awkward-looking. They're a first day of PT exercise for people scared of using the bars and plates.

Stick a pair of green plates on a big boy bar for your accessory work (off days seem to be for gambling and playing Fortnite for pro athletes, not gym work).

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️ my coach throws them in there during some cycles and he’s a smart dude so there must be a reason. I’ve just never bothered to check.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

Core/hip/quad work for people that can't FS well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cage posted:

I just got this email.

Juggalo gains.

Oh poo poo, I’ve got a few sample packets of INSANE VEINZ stashed somewhere

Along with stuff like “THE CURSE” (with lightning coming out of the letters) and a bunch of other samples

I’ve not taken any of those because I don’t want to go into cardiac arrest

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sassassin posted:

I did goblet squat holds after front squats last week.

My whole trunk was done after that.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I just ran a mile on the treadmill for the first time in ages, AMA

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Omnikin posted:

I just ran a mile on the treadmill for the first time in ages, AMA

Why?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Cardio is fun

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's good for you.

naem
May 29, 2011

Fallows posted:

Cardio is fun

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

Cardio is fun

:chloe:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

This reaction is very :chloe:

Cardio is good and being able to at least run a mile or two at a steady pace should be a baseline. If you are not literally earning money being a strongman/powerlifter, crying about possibly losing strength by using your legs for running/walking/hiking/cycling/rowing/swimming is dumb.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

Cardio is good and being able to at least run a mile or two at a steady pace should be a baseline. If you are not literally earning money being a strongman/powerlifter, crying about possibly losing strength by using your legs for running/walking/hiking/cycling/rowing/swimming is dumb.

Get out. Get out of this thread now! *bangs 45lb plates together, angrily drinks 1 gallon of milk*

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Helios Grime posted:

I do 30 mins of cardio every day but my enjoyment out of it is mostly from rocking out to my tunes. I mean ok I GET IT, endorphins and a good sweat owns. Probably why I usually get on the stair machine and crank out 3000 steps and then admire my shreddy calves.

I've lately been finishing by setting the stair machine at max speed and "running" up 150-200 steps and wanting to die. Its nice.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 28, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What an awful AMA that was.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I was finally able to admit to myself I'm long over due for a cut. What diet all the cool kids these days use?

I was thinking carb cycling, low carb on off days, high carb on liftin' days (3days/week). Full on low carb would destroy me, but at the same time I feel carbs are the main issue for me, even if I'm not going crazy with them and eat clean.
I tried intermittent fasting few years back and all my strength disappeared, no matter how hard I tried to eat during the feeding window.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
uh just eat fewer calories than you burn hth

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Just eat less at fixed daily calorie goal? Aim to eat between 0,7g and 1g per lbs bodyweight, and fill the rest of the calories with a nice balance of carbs and fats?

Or is this the diet that the uncool kids do?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm going to shill for the RP diet templates. Sure you gotta pay for it but it's customizable based on your bodyweight and how active you are (or aren't) each day. And they don't forbid any foods or macros so it's pretty easy to stick to.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

sassassin posted:

What an awful AMA that was.

I tried to post from my phone and got some odd gateway error, I was half-expecting to come back to my reply posted eight times and be banned

To see if I could? I guess- I spent a whole year lifting & losing weight and then lifting & gaining weight and did almost no cardio. I can feel my heart yelling at me in hindsight

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just stay alkaline

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Some Trad Games goons suggested I come post this here.

I'm kickstarting an exercise RPG called LIFTS: Ultimate Pump Edition

In LIFTS, the strongest person of your group takes on the role of Muscle Master - the person responsible for running the game. Everyone else creates a Muscle Marine character.

LIFTS includes a base game, Roboflex, which provides exercise-based rules for social, combat, pursuit, and technical challenges, as well as character advancement and adventure prompts.

LIFTS also includes a number of supplements that modify the base Roboflex game, including Deadlifts & Dragons, Shadowrunning, Muscle of the Week, and a few more - each supplement introduces new rules that focus on a different type of exercise and healthy living.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Oh hey ride armor from Mospeada. Someone's getting sued by Harmony Gold.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

slap me and kiss me posted:

Some Trad Games goons suggested I come post this here.

I'm kickstarting an exercise RPG called LIFTS: Ultimate Pump Edition

In LIFTS, the strongest person of your group takes on the role of Muscle Master - the person responsible for running the game. Everyone else creates a Muscle Marine character.

LIFTS includes a base game, Roboflex, which provides exercise-based rules for social, combat, pursuit, and technical challenges, as well as character advancement and adventure prompts.

LIFTS also includes a number of supplements that modify the base Roboflex game, including Deadlifts & Dragons, Shadowrunning, Muscle of the Week, and a few more - each supplement introduces new rules that focus on a different type of exercise and healthy living.

Finally a program to rival random crossfit WODs in effectiveness.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Why do I get pain on the outside of my forearms after doing biceps? I've stopped bending my wrists when curling, and that's helped, but I still get some pain there. Am I just doing too much?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That's just your muscles growing brother. Remember: no agony no bragony

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wizzanthos posted:

Why do I get pain on the outside of my forearms after doing biceps? I've stopped bending my wrists when curling, and that's helped, but I still get some pain there. Am I just doing too much?

Sounds like weakness leaving your forearms

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pain is usually bad imo.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm going to shill for the RP diet templates. Sure you gotta pay for it but it's customizable based on your bodyweight and how active you are (or aren't) each day. And they don't forbid any foods or macros so it's pretty easy to stick to.

I have the RP diet template and I'll try that for now. It's basically carb cycling, even phase 1 cut tells you to restrict carbs heavily on off days, but still eat a lot on training days.

My only problem with it is that it doesn't take body composition into consideration. For example cut 1 tells me to eat 100g carbs on meal 5 (after moderate training), I don't even eat nearly that much now (I'm 97kg/213lbs but 20% bf).

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Metanaut posted:

I have the RP diet template and I'll try that for now. It's basically carb cycling, even phase 1 cut tells you to restrict carbs heavily on off days, but still eat a lot on training days.

My only problem with it is that it doesn't take body composition into consideration. For example cut 1 tells me to eat 100g carbs on meal 5 (after moderate training), I don't even eat nearly that much now (I'm 97kg/213lbs but 20% bf).

Just make everything light training. That's what I've always done. If you need more carbs you'll know it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'll I've been doing is counting calories. Guarantees I lose weight. I may invest in some $100 spreadsheets when I get closer to my goal weight, but that's still a couple months away.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I started an LLC and now I can write off my expensive eating out habits since I will be dining frequently with clients....

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Pain is usually bad imo.

https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

this whole pain thing is still pretty confusing to me to be honest, but at this point I totally agree that it doesn't always mean something has to be wrong. I always just monitor it, but it's gotta either be from an acute injury, or stick around for a while for it to start to worry me now.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Wizzanthos posted:

How much are you doing?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Re: diet - get a food scale and track macros with something like myfitnesspal. Estimate your maintenance and set calories like 100-300 above if gaining weight or the same below if losing weight. Eat at least .6 g protein per lb of bodyweight if gaining and closer to .8 if losing weight (unless you got kidney problems, talk to your doctor.) Weigh yourself daily and update your calorie target a every couple of weeks based on trend line - approx 3500 is a pound of mass, but I don't like moving faster than .5/week.

Where possible, substitute foods with complex carbs for foods with simple carbs (but still eat some fruit) and foods with unsaturated fats for foods with saturated fats, but if you really love something allow yourself to have it if you can fit it in to your calorie and protein constraints - I like the Marie Kondo approach to diet.

Works pretty well, I've managed to keep at least the semblance of visible abs through a year long bulk (starting point was relatively lean though...).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What Kondo say about diet?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

barkbell posted:

What Kondo say about diet?

Take fat because it doesn't give you joy, thank it and remove it from your life.

I.e. get liposuction

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Anyone have experience with or recommend heavy squat stand-ups/walk-outs?

I'm moving towards 300 on the bar with my heavier sets and I definitely feel a bit shaky with anything above 270, so I'd really like to see if there's something I can use to help adapt my CNS before I roll a loaded bar down my spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The most strenuous thing I did yesterday was mop the kitchen floor and today the top of my right glute hurts every time I stand up.

Don't get old goons.