Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Propaganda Hour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

Ars Technica's War Stories interview series is excellent, but I think this is the best video so far. Some of the details about unit path-finding and full-screen video encoding in the early CD-ROM era are incredibly interesting.

I miss Westwood.

Westwood Studios being in hometown Las Vegas was partly what prompted me to want to be a game developer, growing up

Dawned on me what a terrible idea that was halfway through high school but by then my course was set, I felt--and anyway Westwood was long shuttered :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I still want to make a game some day, but I accept that I will never actually do that and that's easier on my nerves than stressing out with something far beyond my ability.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

tilting. but come back tomorrow and you'll beat it first try

Nah I pushed through. My thumb is sore but the third pantheon is down. The problem boss was Zote (and of course the final boss of the pantheon was all-new so I didn't have any prior experience to fall back on). He's still really RNG for me--there's one attack he can do that will basically always mean I take damage, but I got good enough through perseverance that I was able to consistently make it past him and actually learn the following bosses

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

think i'm gonna try to pick up atelier L&S again tomorrow. starting over, of course, but i don't remember how far i was so that's okay

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm excited about that grass monkey who's my friend.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1101027344058368000

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

I still want to make a game some day, but I accept that I will never actually do that and that's easier on my nerves than stressing out with something far beyond my ability.

nothing is beyond anyone's ability

don't tell the gamedev thread but i made a word processor out of if-else statements

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that sly 2 was kind of vague about killing guards and pretty much always abstracted it in such a way that you're not quite explicitly killing them in cartoon logic, and then in sly 3 you just have an entire mission where you feed people direct into the mouth of a hungry crocodile in order to give it an appetite for eating living people

also i forgot that the final mission of the second level is just. one of the weirdest things in the entire trilogy. there are a lot of moments in sly 3 i remember for being really weird but i forgot about the part where carmelita fox becomes a gigantess and you have to climb up her clothes.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 28, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well time to play Sly 3

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

nothing is beyond anyone's ability

don't tell the gamedev thread but i made a word processor out of if-else statements

It is most definitely beyond my abilities, I can't even make a simple class addition to Tales of Maj'Eyal while following a bunch of different guides lol. It's like if someone gave me a boot full of water with instructions for how to pour out the water on the bottom of the heel, I'd turn the boot upside and somehow the water would just refuse to spill out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well time to play Sly 3

the sly trilogy runs a very weird balance because sly 1 is clearly a very early ps2 platformer where the writing is just backdrop stuff for cool levels and bosses, and then sly 2 is actually a mostly pretty solidly written comic booky adventure story about friendship and teamwork that just has kind of a weak central villain but a lot of insanely strong side villains, and then sly 3 is a consistently really funny game that's also weirdly horny compared to the first two and it has some bits of really really strong writing for the main and supporting cast but almost literally no recognizable bad guys

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i'm really enjoying sly 3 but. it's a lot easier for me to see now, why a lot of people do not like it as much as sly 2 lol. everything about it feels way more polished but it also feels, a whole lot less focused and a lot of the writing shifts between it and sly 2 are kind of jarring even if there's still some really good stuff in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still playing Sly 1 very slowly because I get annoyed when I run out of lives and have to start the stage again too often.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the lives system in sly 1 is genuinely the worst thing about it and even more awful when you get a grasp of, how it functions, because it turns out the way it functions means you'll basically loving never get any if you're not literally always dying, which can also mean you'll almost never get lucky charms which is probably the much worse part

that said now that i'm like 2/3rds through the trilogy i think i'd put them at a tie with ratchet as my favorite of those ps2 mascot trilogies. sly isn't as satisfying to play as ratchet but it's got a lot of cool stuff about it anyway and the writing in the trilogy is cool enough and generally more consistent to me than ratchet or especially jak lol

actually the funniest thing to me is comparing it to jak, because while the jak games have way higher budgets it's clear that like. sly 2 knew how to write a story, and sly 3 sort of does too, while none of the jak games have even the slightest loving clue how to write a single consistent character

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 28, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting the book page that stops you from dying in water at least made the swamp levels more tolerable

The collectibles giving you actual skills was a nice idea but since they're optional you never have to use them and the times when they might be useful I forget they exist. Doesn't help that the active ones are pretty clunky to use because they all use the same button and you have to cycle through them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Getting the book page that stops you from dying in water at least made the swamp levels more tolerable

The collectibles giving you actual skills was a nice idea but since they're optional you never have to use them and the times when they might be useful I forget they exist. Doesn't help that the active ones are pretty clunky to use because they all use the same button and you have to cycle through them.

don't worry there are like. two worth using in the entire game. they're a neat idea that sly 2 absolutely builds on but in their original sly 1 form they're not really worth the hassle

also i hope you like rhythm game bosses because mz. ruby is awful and the hd trilogy makes her worse with mistimed music

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's funny because sly 2 and 3 have rhythm game sections too but they're, insanely more forgiving than mz. ruby who is seriously just the loving worst and twice as long as those sly 2 and 3 sections

at least if you keep dying on mz. ruby they'll give you a gold lucky charm for free but tbh if you really get stuck there i think i'd recommend just jumping to sly 2 because it's way better lol. the only real reason i'd say to finish sly 1 is cause if you don't you'll miss out on the callbacks in sly 2 and 3 to clockwerk and the panda king which are kind of cool

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 28, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How is it that the writing in Super Paper Mario is actually worse than what I remembered as a kid.

Man that game was stupid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Internet Kraken posted:

How is it that the writing in Super Paper Mario is actually worse than what I remembered as a kid.

Man that game was stupid.

The writing was pretty much the only part of the game I liked when I played it last year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know I already said it before but I genuinely enjoyed how much thought went into how the Klaww Gang of Sly 2 was doing this global drug trade and yeah the weakest part of Sly 3 is how almost none of the villains are memorable, doubly so because you've got so many compared to the 1st and 2nd game and there isn't anything interesting connecting the villains together other than "we need a new thief, they're located in this place, they'll join us but only if we defeat a local villain who is causing trouble"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm in my office grooving my invisible macarenas to the Samba de Amigo soundtrack and I have zero shame cause these tunes be tight af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQopOPpCU3o

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

I'm in my office grooving my invisible macarenas to the Samba de Amigo soundtrack and I have zero shame cause these tunes be tight af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQopOPpCU3o

To this day it’s still a crime that they have Taiko on the PS4 and it doesn’t use the motion controllers

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

perhaps sly's greatest heist... was when he stole our hearts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was his last surprise

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Perhaps Joker's greatest heist....was stealing our memory of Sly.

(Seriously. I only remember Sly being a thing round 2004-06 and then poof)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well outside of a PS3 game released 8 years after anyone cared yeah

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i’ve never played sly but you could use his hook staff thing in infamous 2 instead of cole’s stupid tuning fork and it was good. that’s my sly story

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You hear what sounds like your buddy getting choked out in the next room. Is it:
a) the wind
b) your imagination
c) whoever choked out your buddy, they must be long gone by now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

You hear what sounds like your buddy getting choked out in the next room. Is it:
a) the wind
b) your imagination

d) I go investigate but since they pay minimum wage they aren't getting my peripheral vision for free

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

a) the wind
b) your imagination
d) harder daddy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Perhaps Joker's greatest heist....was stealing our memory of Sly.

(Seriously. I only remember Sly being a thing round 2004-06 and then poof)

I think there's supposed to be a movie or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there's supposed to be a movie or something

The Ratchet and Clank film bombing horribly killed it and now its to be released as an animated series but that news was like... 2 years ago?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I played a bunch of Beat Saber last night and it's very fun, but I always forget that rhythm game communities that make content don't have any concept of difficulty or maybe even the definitions of the words easy, normal, and hard.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked back into Stardew Valley, that didn't last long...

I spent all Spring giving flowers to Haley and her response when I asked her to join me at the Flower Dance?

"Ew. No."

:negative:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

should have given them to algernon, i hear they need them?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

How about something on Twine?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I realized this time playing Stardew that the best way to make friends quickly is to go to the pub every night and buy beers for everyone.

It just makes so much sense I don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am also lazy lol

Can't work up the drive to commit to anything, everything feels like too much :effort:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PantsBandit posted:

I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked back into Stardew Valley, that didn't last long...

I spent all Spring giving flowers to Haley and her response when I asked her to join me at the Flower Dance?

"Ew. No."

:negative:

Living your best goon life :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rarity posted:

Living your best goon life :patriot:

Life imitates art. Or is it the other way around?