Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Go buy the Marsblade and tell us how the snake oil tastes.

I've heard about those. I thought about getting the rollerblades since they're supposed to mimic hockey stride so it might be a fun thing to gently caress around with when I'm not skating. Haven't taken the plunge yet though so can't confirm if they're snake oil or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ginette Reno posted:

The skate holder on one of my skates broke so I ordered a new pair of skates. It's been 4 years with my current pair so I guess that seems about right. Hoping the new pair fits well and I like them. It's a different model. Going from Bauer Vapor x60s to x500s. I assume since it's the same style of skate that I'll like them but I'm notoriously picky about my skates so we'll see.

I figure if I really hate the new skates I'll just give up and order new holders for my old skates instead, but I hope it doesn't come to that :negative:.

You can buy new skate holders and have them installed for $50 total. I had mine done 2 weeks ago.

If you're wanting a higher model skate go for it but it'll be way cheaper to get new holders in the future.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

You can buy new skate holders and have them installed for $50 total. I had mine done 2 weeks ago.

If you're wanting a higher model skate go for it but it'll be way cheaper to get new holders in the future.

Yeah I know I just figured it was high time for a new pair anyways. I had my other ones for 4 years.

I'll try the new pair out and if I don't like them I'll either see if I can track down a similar pair to my current ones or I'll try to buy new holders. I imagine the new ones will be just fine since it's the same brand line of skate, just a newer model.

The only pain in the rear end for me will be getting them sharpened since I live like 35 minutes from the pro shop here and said pro shop has ridiculously short store hours.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get a few pieces of steel and get them sharpened by https://www.noicingsports.com/sharpen

Very easy with the trigger release of blades now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Get a few pieces of steel and get them sharpened by https://www.noicingsports.com/sharpen

Very easy with the trigger release of blades now.

That's actually pretty cool. I may need to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love the attitude on that page.

"stop being stupid it makes our job harder"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A bunch of the AAA kids use it here. I started going there about 5 years ago or so. I don’t send away for sharpening but I do get a custom radius there on every new piece of steel I buy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If you read through his sharpening FAQ it's like the timecube of skate sharpening.

I've been sending stuff to him for years and it's been a great service. I recently bought some of the Tydan steel and they are a lot hardier than the Bauer lightspeed steel.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a game called last night after the first period when the roof started leaking (it's raining like crazy ) all over the ice. Ended up getting a massive hole in one section. This happens every year because they just put some idiotic band-aid fix on it instead of paying to actually fix the roof properly, despite charging $10k per team, with 68 teams, twice a year. But we do have a Dippin Dots machine!

Our rescheduling options are Saturday night or goddamn 11:15pm during the week, and we'd have to start the whole game over. Of course, we were up 2-1 on one of the best teams in the league and I had a goal and an assist at that point. Lame.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 26, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The history books will forever have an asterisk next to this game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'll never make it into the HoF

:sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And of course my wife scheduled her c-section for our twins during the day we play the second round of the playoffs. Grounds for divorce?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Harsh, but justified

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Surely you can make the game and go meet the kids after and tell them daddy had to make some baller dangles and sick cellies

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 26, 2019

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
A good wife goes to the championship game then gives birth two days later.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And of course my wife scheduled her c-section for our twins during the day we play the second round of the playoffs. Grounds for divorce?

Name them Henrik and Daniel in honor of your playoff loss.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My wife was gracious enough to wait between my two days of play. We got home from the hospital, my wife and daughter went to sleep and I went to play hockey.

She did give me permission to go so I wasn't in trouble.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did get permission to play that night since the procedure will be in the morning, and she'll be in the hospital surrounded by medical professionals for the next couple days. I originally thought it was an obvious trap, but she was surprisingly sincere. So now I'll get to correlate the birth of my children with a playoff loss.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My wife knows how cranky I can get if I don't play. Fortunately this season we have played pretty much every weekend since September. I almost had her convinced to let me play the night before we left for our honeymoon.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I did get permission to play that night since the procedure will be in the morning, and she'll be in the hospital surrounded by medical professionals for the next couple days. I originally thought it was an obvious trap, but she was surprisingly sincere. So now I'll get to correlate the birth of my children with a playoff loss.

She's a keeper, you should think about getting serious imo

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
How I knew my wife was a keeper? She found me super attractive when I got off the ice all sweaty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

She's a keeper, you should think about getting serious imo

We met playing hockey. I’ll keep her around for a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I knew my wife was a keeper when she seemed okay with putting up with all my stupid bullshit.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

I knew my wife was a keeper when she seemed okay with putting up with all my stupid bullshit.

the dream

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

Wait until you're 20 years in, and you're wondering how she still does it

She told my classmates in nursing school "I drink. Heavily.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Go buy the Marsblade and tell us how the snake oil tastes.

The roller holders are amazing.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

The roller holders are amazing.

yes yes, but how do they taste??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some weekend warrior just put a small review of the ice marsblades on reddit a bit ago, said they didn't make him faster. This defies all logic!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I do not understand, how is this possible??? Next you'll try to tell me red stripes don't make cars go faster!

Any of you guys wear a smart watch/tracker during games? I'm considering a new watch, and one that would survive hockey would be super cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few of us use apple watches because of the hockey tracker app.

But I see all kinds of smart watches in the locker rooms and no one is shattering them on a weekly basis, I think as long as it's comfortable under the cuff of your glove whatever makes you happy is fine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have a Fitbit Charge 2 that I wear when I play. It does a pretty decent job of tracking basic stuff. You can definitely tell how long shifts are, etc. According to it, I burn right around 1000 calories per game but I know they can be a bit generous with the calculations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A beer leaguer is doing really well if they burn 400 in a game. Those 1000 calorie totals are because the algorithm used to estimate it assumes you aren't sitting on your rear end constantly.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
You know it's been a weird season when you don't realize your team is in second place, as opposed to under-performing in the bottom half, moving into the playoffs.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Wait you mean I'm not supposed to take 5 minute shifts?

As someone said earlier the glove cuff protects it pretty well, haven't had to worry about it breaking or anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apple Watch here, and probably half my teams all wear some kind of fitness tracker. Never seen one get broken in a few years.

Here's a killer shift I had a week or two ago:

It was me running around the rink in skates trying to find a fill-in goalie after ours got brained with a puck and had to be taken out of the game.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any of you guys wear a smart watch/tracker during games? I'm considering a new watch, and one that would survive hockey would be super cool.

I wear my Garmin 920XT. No problems so far other than the two times my glove cuff has hit the stop button and I didn't notice. There's no hockey app, but I can look at the map of where I was on the ice and correlate the speed, HR, etc. which is interesting, but in no way useful. It gets really strong GPS signal through the roof of the arena and the map of my games look very much like you'd expect from a stay at home defenseman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GPS in a hockey game sounds loving hilarious and I want it so bad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

GPS in a hockey game sounds loving hilarious and I want it so bad.

Use Outdoor Run on your AW to track a game. I'm sure it'll look like a toddler's scribble drawing, if you can grab a GPS signal at all.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Apple Watch here, and probably half my teams all wear some kind of fitness tracker. Never seen one get broken in a few years.

Here's a killer shift I had a week or two ago:

It was me running around the rink in skates trying to find a fill-in goalie after ours got brained with a puck and had to be taken out of the game.

Actual shifts, 6 skaters in a div 2 game I filled in at.

After working at 5am that day, and traveling home, then going to the game, i was so dead afterwards .

D C fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ouch, that looks painful.

Watch chat: I think I'm going to forget about wearing a watch for tracking. I'm an android guy and there's nothing comparable to the Apple app.