Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mozi posted:

I read recently that India is adding an entire Pakistan's worth of GDP growth every year. Getting into a major war is a losing strategy compared to just continuing to grow.

Depends how much of that money is getting to Kashmiri Muslims, I'd imagine. In forms other than better-equipped rape squads, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how much of that money is getting to Kashmiri Muslims, I'd imagine. In forms other than better-equipped rape squads, anyway.

Fake news.

Would it be better if India genocided them, like what happened to Kashmiri pundits in the 80s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_of_Kashmiri_Hindus

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Fake news.

Would it be better if India genocided them, like what happened to Kashmiri pundits in the 80s?

Wow, congrats for crafting the worst possible reply to that post, dude.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, congrats for crafting the worst possible reply to that post, dude.

Why are apologia for Islamic terrorism and unsubstantiated claims against dharmics generally accepted in liberal circles?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Why are apologia for Islamic terrorism and unsubstantiated claims against dharmics generally accepted in liberal circles?

'Unsubstantiated' apart from the dozens of detailed sources in that paper, including the 1993 Human Rights Watch report?

And why the Christ was your first response 'at least they're not genociding them'? Why is there some binary choice between genocide and mass rape? Why is mass rape not bad on its own merits?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I’m not hugely sympathetic for Kashmiri separatists for the reason you’ve described svenkatesh but you are coming off as a deranged Hindutva nationalist right now, it’s not helping your argument.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

svenkatesh posted:

That GDP growth will end if radical Islamic terrorism runs rampant in India. The threat of getting aloha snackbarred by Ahmed will mean businesses won't want to set up shop

It's the same reason that Pakistan needs to ask for handouts every few years

Completely unrelated to this post, of course, but I'm glad that Lowtax changed the default newbie avatar to be appropriate to the driveby shitposters that show up now and then

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That wasn't my intention. Yes, I'm Indian. No, I wasnt born in India.

It's just very confusing to see everyone ignore the fact that Pakistan started this confrontation and say that any response by India is wrong

svenkatesh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

svenkatesh posted:

That GDP growth will end if radical Islamic terrorism runs rampant in India. The threat of getting aloha snackbarred by Ahmed will mean businesses won't want to set up shop

It's the same reason that Pakistan needs to ask for handouts every few years

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Do you ever live here?

Edit; gently caress me

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Squalid posted:

I’m not hugely sympathetic for Kashmiri separatists for the reason you’ve described svenkatesh but you are coming off as a deranged Hindutva nationalist right now, it’s not helping your argument.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

That wasn't my intention. Yes, I'm Indian. No, I want born in India.

It's just very confusing to see everyone ignore the fact that Pakistan started this confrontation and say that any response by India is wrong

I mean, you can at least admit that the rape squads might be bad, yeah?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, you can at least admit that the rape squads might be bad, yeah?

Yes, if true. News media in South Asia is terrible, there's a lot of state control in both India and and Pakistan, and I can't imagine anyone condoning rape, especially on a massive scale. That's why I'm always skeptical

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Yes, if true. News media in South Asia is terrible, there's a lot of state control in both India and and Pakistan, and I can't imagine anyone condoning rape, especially on a massive scale. That's why I'm always skeptical

Might wanna read those links, then, rather than blasting off straight away with 'fake news'.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's the point? All South Asian conflict and atrocities are due to an escalation in response to some instigating event. If you point to one bad thing that India did, there will be something similar you can point to for Pakistan.

The difference is that Pakistan openly supports international terrorism. Even if everything people accuse the BJP of doing is true, at least it's only domestic to India

India/Pakistan is the greatest argument against the two state solution.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I’m not surprised India feels the need to respond to Pakistan. For real, that country is hosed up. But obviously it also has to switch to deescalation eventually, or the result is nuclear war. I don’t know how far India and Pakistan can push this poo poo but I don’t want to find out. I think that’s the position of everyone else in the world, whatever real problems exist are just insignificant in comparison to what is at risk. We just want to be reassured that in the end there’s a limit to how far this will go.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

svenkatesh posted:

What's the point? All South Asian conflict and atrocities are due to an escalation in response to some instigating event. If you point to one bad thing that India did, there will be something similar you can point to for Pakistan.

The difference is that Pakistan openly supports international terrorism. Even if everything people accuse the BJP of doing is true, at least it's only domestic to India

Yes what is the point of familiarizing oneself with the history of a region before making judgements about its inhabitants? The US. State department has operated under this ethos for its entire existence and has performed flawlessly!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yes what is the point of familiarizing oneself with the history of a region before making judgements about its inhabitants? The US. State department has operated under this ethos for its entire existence and has performed flawlessly!

There are (or were, possibly) a lot of very very smart people (and surely some less smart ones as well) at State, but they just offer advice. Elected and appointed officials make the decisions. (See the recent example where State career officials recommended against selling more weapons to SA and were overruled by Pompeo, IIRC.)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

it's a pretty popular strategy wherever you've got a bunch of locals you want to terrorize. keeps the soldiers' morale up, teaches them to dehumanize the opposition, and teaches the locals the price of so much as being in the same square mile as your soldiers.

not a strategy that tends to pan out long term, but it gets what you want out of them in the short. our dearly departed friends in ISIS had a lot of success with avoiding popular revolt thanks to it!

as a result, wherever you've got an officer class that genuinely considers the local population subhuman, the proposition pops up with some frequency.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

svenkatesh posted:

...and I can't imagine anyone condoning rape, especially on a massive scale....

I mean are you serious? Do you even have an inkling of what goes on pretty much any time civilian populations are put under the control of hostile military forces?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mozi posted:

There are (or were, possibly) a lot of very very smart people (and surely some less smart ones as well) at State, but they just offer advice.

Were. Trump, Pompeo and Tillerson wasted no time in firing all these useless "experts" and "scholars" and other know-it-all wiseasses so as to replace them with this guy; which greatly improved the Jeezus quota in US foreign and domestic policy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

You know, given that you tried to dismiss an extensively-cited academic paper as fake news, and are entirely unfamiliar with the concept of mass rape in wartime or the way that local oppression can have global consequences, I'd be really cautious about making these sorts of grand, sweeping statements and would maybe suggest sitting down to actually learn some poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You know, I'm starting to thinks that Israel/Palestine might not be the most potentially disastrous I/P thread in this forum.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/AsadHashim/status/1101001180522692613

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1101114101374234625

lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Get loving wrecked, Narendra Modi. :kav:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I/P thread: Extended fall out from a different two state solution
I/P thread: another two states in need of a solution.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
IP thread: the mouse must be vanquished

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is reassuring to see other countries' saber-rattling adventurism proving just as stupid and wasteful.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now that the anti-terror bombings have been revealed a sham, let's hope that Modi doesn't double down and escalate to salvage his crumbling, karmic career! :v:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember an episode of one of Monty Python guys, Palin I think, going to some sort of daily show between Pakistan and India where they try to out peacock each other at the closing of the border crossing daily. Is that still going on or has tensions stopped it?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
When did the Middle East thread become the South Asia thread...

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
There are massive protests in Algeria right now, against the living mummy bouteflika, and you guys are discussing India and Pakistan? Sudan is also filled with a lot of protests. This might be the Arab spring 2.0 which will hopefully expand to Egypt again.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190301-algeria-protests-anti-bouteflika-braced-million-man-march-press-freedom

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://twitter.com/rallahoum/status/1101491885623951361

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't look a huge crowd, as mass protests go.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1101506159314382849

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

svenkatesh posted:

Fake news.

The BJP bots are coming from inside the house

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

2019's writers are getting lazy with the Algerian Civil War reboot.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Rumors flying of major announcement in next few hours in Algeria. My guess is that the military junta sacrifice Boutfilka and call it a victory for the people, the same tactic used by the Military brass in Egypt during 2011. In reality however the same regime will still be in power.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/03/02/protests-are-growing-algeria-are-these-seeds-real-change/?utm_term=.8b18ff4596f6

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have faith in Boutef. They'll rewrite the Constitution again so that a corpse can be a Presidential candidate, and so he'll keep getting reelected in the first turn until the 22nd century.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where's a good starting point to read Algerian history? The Independence War? The French conquest of the 1830s? Before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-usa/u-s-palestinian-mission-to-merge-with-israel-embassy-on-monday-idUSKCN1QL00X?il=0

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. consulate in Jerusalem, which serves Palestinians, will be absorbed into the new U.S. Embassy to Israel on Monday, the State Department said, a merger that has angered Palestinian leadership.

The decision to create a single diplomatic mission in Jerusalem was announced last October by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and had been widely expected for early March. The State Department announcement on Sunday gave the official date for the move.

We keep kicking the Palestinians.