Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Make the parliamentary pension the same as the old age pension - no grandfathering. Vote #1 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Starshark posted:

LOL, it was two kids.

You don't get journos like that any more. I hope.

Wait so he's basically the guy from the Die Hard movies

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Turks posted:

People don't miss Keating for his policies, they miss him for his zingers.

Nah there's a certain Labor set who get misty eyed for the reforms of the Hawke-Keating era.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah there's a certain Labor set who get misty eyed for the reforms of the Hawke-Keating era.

Floating the dollar was good; the accord was bad.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Normalising privatisation and creating the concept of "dole bludgers" was also pretty bad IMO.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Starshark posted:

Mike Willese dead. Can't remember poo poo about him except I think he called up someone during a hostage crisis once? w/e we've got Bolt to worry about now.

He also did the cake interview which kinda killed Hewson's chances of winning in 1993.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BBJoey posted:

Pell’s appeal argument is basically “the jury should not have reached their unanimous guilty verdict given the only testimony was from the sole surviving victim” which would seem to set an insanely bad precedent if allowed but hell that’s the law for you

Just cite every single time Pell has argued against the rights of people based on what he says are the words of one man 2000 years ago.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Starshark posted:

LOL, it was two kids.

You don't get journos like that any more. I hope.

No, we get worse, like Andrew Bolt and his kin

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Pyne’s retiring

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

That makes sense. He was seeming to become less and less relevant with the disappearance of senior Liberals and Pyne likes to wield power.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Pyne’s retiring

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1101332641079472128

I guess he just doesn't feel like he has the fight left in him to battle for a seat with maybe a 1% margin given the predicted swing.

That or he thinks it's going to be 6+.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can take 'Chasers' and 'Inflation'
I can take hyperventilation
I can take total bowel disfunction
I can take nuclear destruction
I can even take Mike Willesee, well, at a pinch
But one thing I cannot take is Derryn loving Hinch

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1101277954657533952

john howard :swoon:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amethyst posted:

I don't get why a lifer like Pyne is tapping out just as the polls are narrowing. He's perhaps genuinely depressed that all his old friends are gone and replaced by shitheads like Morrison?

Pyne isn't exactly on a good % in his electorate and has probably judged that the opposition life is worth the fight to retain it. TIL his middle name is Maurice :wtc:

Gridlocked posted:

Can we go back to talking about Pell? I missed a lot of the live updates on things because I have been busy as gently caress but I watched some media bites last night which was discussing the number of journos saying it was more a trial by media than jury. What's up with that?

There are a number of journalists who wanted to attack the defendants case but were prevented from doing so by the suppression order and this is their idea of revenge on the judge, who does not have many fans among them. Some of them are being obvious about it, others are dogwhistling on twitter. The angle is more about misdirection by the judge than just insufficient evidence because attacking the jury for it won't have the desired effect.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I think people in this thread are forgetting the number one rule of Australian politics, that death is certain. Come election day the Australian public will show their true colours and not only reelect the Morrison government but install him as dictator for life like my Hearts of Iron IV game predicted. Long live the sharks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With the size of Pynes pension and the fact he won't have to pay for any party expenses himself it's actually possible he could retire and take home more money than if he stayed in parliament as a backbencher.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

bandaid.friend posted:

It's unsurprising but you'd hope they'd have the brainpower to pretend they're not shitheads in public spaces

Have you visited facebook, before?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

That old internet joke about how normal person + anonymity = dickhead, and that being the reason for internet trolls has been thoroughly disproven. People say THE WORST poo poo on facebook, right next to their real name.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The joke holds true for me, Amethyst, though. I am very polite irl

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

With the size of Pynes pension and the fact he won't have to pay for any party expenses himself it's actually possible he could retire and take home more money than if he stayed in parliament as a backbencher.

OTOH, he'll be around to poison SA politics for decades so there's that.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Caleb Bond for next defence minister

Why does hitting new post on the mobile app edit a post I already made, I went back and checked and I hit the correct button. WHAT THE HEK

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2019

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Wrageowrapper posted:

I think people in this thread are forgetting the number one rule of Australian politics, that death is certain. Come election day the Australian public will show their true colours and not only reelect the Morrison government but install him as dictator for life like my Hearts of Iron IV game predicted. Long live the sharks.

checks out, i ran it through the computer for the most accurate prediction

a liberal comeback that will start the reign of a 1000 year dynasty

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Caleb Bond gets Pyne’s seat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Goffer posted:

I love that there was a slight recovery in the leadup to them dumping Turnbull.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Caleb Bond gets Pyne’s seat.

Finally Anidav leaves News Corpse

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Goffer posted:

It's kind of amazing how everything about the trajectory of those polls suggest the Liberals would have been in with a good chance in a May election without that Get Rid of Turnbull Now!!! jump.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Moon Atari posted:

Goddamn. The sunrise facebook thread is full of middle aged women all supporting Kennett and Howard's free speech and accusing the hosts of bullying.
And almost half of thoses women are IWC

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Turks posted:

People don't miss Keating for his policies, they miss him for his zingers.

his zingers also suck and are 1/10th as witty as whitlams were

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

"Retail Food Group - which also owns Michael's Patisserie, Brumby's, Crust Pizza and Pizza Capers - on Thursday revealed it plunged to a $111 million net after-tax loss for the six months to December 31."

hmm can't imagine why the owner of these incredible brands are is trouble

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Don Dongington posted:

Abbott is losing his seat to an Olympic gold medalist.

Bronze.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lawyer X unmasked. Was it who you thought it was? https://outline.com/WmTMKF

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Peter Dutton status: Still an unredeemable oval office.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...228-p510w6.html

The gist of the article is, "reffos are taking hospital beds from fair dinkum aussies." As well as he, in one breath lauds the achievement of the LNP in getting kids off torture island, and then in the next says that said kids are scrounging pikers who are faking being sick to steal YOUR hospital bed.

gently caress him and all he stands for. I hope he loses his seat by 1 vote, and cries on national TV on election day.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 1, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BrigadierSensible posted:

Peter Dutton status: Still an unredeemable oval office.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...228-p510w6.html

The gist of the article is, "reffos are taking hospital beds from fair dinkum aussies." As well as he, in one breath lauds the achievement of the LNP in getting kids off torture island, and then in the next says that said kids are scrounging pikers who are faking being sick to steal YOUR hospital bed.

gently caress him and all he stands for. I hope he loses his seat by 1 vote, and cries on national TV on election day.

This, except I hope he loses in a landslide because that would be far more humiliating for him.

Has Pine actually, officially announced he's retiring from politics or is it still just rumour?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

what? WHAT?

Man this is going to be great. Abbott, failed priest, failed PM, mediocre athlete: "COULDN'T EVEN WIN GOLD MISTAH SPEAKA"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

Make the parliamentary pension the same as the old age pension - no grandfathering. Vote #1 for me.

Make it some factor of the OAP, dole, income tax and company tax. Make it it impossible for ex-politicians to work any job that isn't in on independently selected list of NFPs where their appointment has to be also independently certified for probity.

Also, prior to being elected they have to relinquish all their assets and their family's assets into a independently run government regulated trust.

Anyone that complains gets the guillotine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Lawyer X unmasked. Was it who you thought it was? https://outline.com/WmTMKF

This is who we said it was in thread. I think whoever posted it publicly redacted it tho for fear of The Man, which is fair.

So yeah whoever that poster was please collect your prize IN JAIL

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

This, except I hope he loses in a landslide because that would be far more humiliating for him.

Has Pine actually, officially announced he's retiring from politics or is it still just rumour?

Not officially but every news organisation is running with the story and he's avoided denying it

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1101304811201286144

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
single female lawyer
betraying all her clients
wearing mini skirts
police like her compliance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

single female lawyer
betraying all her clients
wearing mini skirts
police like her compliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
lmao remember when bishop said she was retiring because she was now certain of the coalitions victory

lmao