Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy toledo: the non-deluxe version of Making of a Champion is down to $20 on Amazon. If you love this game it's really a great purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So uh, is it :files: to ask about NFC tags? I'm certainly interested, but don't want to get anyone (myself) in trouble.

I've never done that, but fuckabuncha tracking out of print amiibos down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of the good amiibos are rare/expensive as poo poo and there is real content gated behind them. Get yourself some nfc tags.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Would this work?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy toledo: the non-deluxe version of Making of a Champion is down to $20 on Amazon. If you love this game it's really a great purchase.

Seconding this. I got the deluxe version this week and it's a great purchase. Time to hang the giant map on the wall

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Bloop posted:

I mean I'm also confused by it but it's not a feeling of superiority, just... total bafflement

"you might as well just sit at your desk clicking a clicker and watching numbers go up.... that's not REAL gaming.... I'm REALLY gaming" is definitely an opinion influenced by feelings of superiority

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah those are the exact ones I bought a few months ago and all the relevant amiibos are now in a little pocket of my Switch carrying case

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

"you might as well just sit at your desk clicking a clicker and watching numbers go up.... that's not REAL gaming.... I'm REALLY gaming" is definitely an opinion influenced by feelings of superiority

Yeah that's nice I was referring to this, though:

Amppelix posted:

Same. I've seen people in this thread and elsewhere be like "thank god I got to skip that part wow it's a lot of work" and I'm just like, why are you even playing video games, you just skipped the most fun level

Like wanting to play Mario but not doing any platforming. I just don't get it, that's all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sure, sure

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't like it, it was just fighting a lot of Lizalfos in the rain. Probably my least favorite part of the game.

It's ok if you did like it but it's not like the formative definitive expression of what BOTW is all about

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't like it, it was just fighting a lot of Lizalfos in the rain. Probably my least favorite part of the game.

It's ok if you did like it but it's not like the formative definitive expression of what BOTW is all about

different people enjoy different parts of a game? nice try, casual. go back to farmville.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

indigi posted:

yeah those are the exact ones I bought a few months ago and all the relevant amiibos are now in a little pocket of my Switch carrying case

What else do you need to use these? How do you get the nfc coded? I assume there's websites out there with the actual amiibo tags to send.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
You need a website (easy to find) to download them, and then an Android phone to write to the tags. After that, you’re all set! They’re write once, unless you buy one if the reusable disc kind (they’re like $3 a disk)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know why I did it, but I watched the long video, and I think it's pretty good.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm getting a 25 pack of them Saturday, so I'm gonna find everything botw related and do that. I've also got card stock cards I'm gonna put the stickers on and label them.

Some people actually go so far as to print out art for them. I found a weird but kinda cool community all built around :files: ing these dumb things. It's great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

duffmensch posted:

You need a website (easy to find) to download them, and then an Android phone to write to the tags. After that, you’re all set! They’re write once, unless you buy one if the reusable disc kind (they’re like $3 a disk)

No way to do it from iOS or PC?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

No way to do it from iOS or PC?

Only if you have the Powertag device made by Datel. Not even sure if it works for iOS though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know why I did it, but I watched the long video, and I think it's pretty good.

:same: no regrets

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

s.i.r.e. posted:

Only if you have the Powertag device made by Datel. Not even sure if it works for iOS though.

Powersaves thing works great on my PC and claims to be Mac-compatible too. Doubt that includes iOS though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
YOU CAN CUT OFF A GUARDIAN’S LEGS AND IT FLIPS OVER LIKE A TURTLE??????

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Runcible Cat posted:

Powersaves thing works great on my PC and claims to be Mac-compatible too. Doubt that includes iOS though.

Can confirm it works fine on Mac.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Stuns em for a few seconds to boot for each leg, even if they don't go over

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

You also get more drops when you cut off its legs than if you kill it with the legs intact, as each dismemberment drops a few Ancient Parts.

Stock Master Sword generally takes two hits to take off a leg, while a decent Ancient Weapon can do it in one.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
how /when should I be attempting to fight lynels? I get absolutely bodied with 5 +5 hearts and level two armor. I think I got less than quarter of his health off and im using Edge of Duality with 50 attack power (when I'm not being smashed)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's not really about numbers. Whenever you feel you're skilled enough with the controls and combat system that you can start practising avoiding their attacks reliably. If you're a certain type of player, that could be never, which is completely fine as it's not like you ever need to fight them.

After you get some max upgraded armor and/or max defense potions you will start taking the minimum quarter heart damage even from lynels, so I guess that's another way.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, you could technically fight them anytime but it's going to be rough learning early on.

Bare minimum before I'd bother with them would be when you get Stasis+ (it lets you freeze them for free hits) but it's totally possible to beat them anytime just by being really good at the game.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Shere posted:

Yeah, you could technically fight them anytime but it's going to be rough learning early on.

Bare minimum before I'd bother with them would be when you get Stasis+ (it lets you freeze them for free hits) but it's totally possible to beat them anytime just by being really good at the game.

yeah I think I need that , lol

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Meh, just set aside some time, put in headphones with an audiobook/podcast/music, and fight one (and die horribly) repeatedly until you master the timing on shield parrying it’s attacks and then following up with an arrow(s) to the face.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lynels are kind of a pain even once you get the hang of countering them just because of how much weapon durability they chew through.

(:ssh: There's a specific trick built into then that lets you get around that issue, but until you find it there's not a lot of reason to face them. )

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nintendo...mirror mode when for this very good video game?? :negative:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I find the Lynels with the huge two handed hammers challenging, their spin 2 win attack fucks me up. Others are fairly easy now that I have upgraded my armor.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mr. Pool posted:

how /when should I be attempting to fight lynels? I get absolutely bodied with 5 +5 hearts and level two armor. I think I got less than quarter of his health off and im using Edge of Duality with 50 attack power (when I'm not being smashed)

I never fight the sods without full attack-up armour personally, but there's a ton of Youtube videos of naked 3-heart lunatics absolutely murdering them with techniques if that's your thing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The only real reason to go after Lynels early is if you want every picture in your Hyrule Compendium to be a picture you took. Some of the lower-tier Lynel Weapons (Lynel Spears and Lynel Crushers from Lynels, Mighty Lynel Spears and Mighty Lynel Crushers from Blue-Maned Lynels) will disappear from the game once most of the Lynels have leveled up.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I found a bokoblin in the gerudo highlands with a fire rod.

I thought it was unusual but went ahead and killed him, then started melting the nearby ice blocks. Turns out his crew was in there and I guess a nearby ice wizzrobe had frozen them all.

Now I have an ice rod and a bunch of monster parts too

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Shere posted:

If we want to get really technical, not really. There's a certain damage output vs weapon durability threshold to pass first. It's entirely possible to run into the Lynels south of the Great Plateau extremely early and not be able to beat them before you destroy all your weapons. You could execute every mechanic of the fight perfectly and not be able to beat one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jisforjosh posted:

If we want to get really technical, not really. There's a certain damage output vs weapon durability threshold to pass first. It's entirely possible to run into the Lynels south of the Great Plateau extremely early and not be able to beat them before you destroy all your weapons. You could execute every mechanic of the fight perfectly and not be able to beat one.

If you get on top of a Lynel, the attacks you do from it's back don't drain weapon durability, at least that's what I've heard.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Depends on how many arrows you have. 1 perfect arrow shot = 5 to 6 (but usually 5) durability-free weapon hits on the lynel.
Still gon take a looong time with a 3 damage spear tho

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

jivjov posted:

If you get on top of a Lynel, the attacks you do from it's back don't drain weapon durability, at least that's what I've heard.

HenryEx posted:

Depends on how many arrows you have. 1 perfect arrow shot = 5 to 6 (but usually 5) durability-free weapon hits on the lynel.
Still gon take a looong time with a 3 damage spear tho

Yeah that's true, but you're going to run out of arrows if it's that early in game. Base Lynel is 2000 HP, at 5 hits with a 3 damage spear, that's ~133 hops on the back :stare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well the arrows are going to help with damage too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Well the arrows are going to help with damage too.

First 2 bows do 4 damage a shot, double damage for the face hit so that's 23 a cycle, still ~87 times.