Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s probably CEC. Inconsistency is its biggest feature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe auto-update is borking your CEC/HDMI link?

My PS4 also used to power on every time I turned on my TV, because the TV usually "boots" on the PS4 input channel.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
So an 'iTunes Movies and TV Shows' app is coming to Samsung televisions, along with AirPlay 2.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170797/samsung-2019-tvs-itunes-support-airplay-2

This is wild poo poo. I hope this means they eventually just put that same app on Roku devices and poo poo too. I'm staring down the barrel of needing to buy two more Apple TV 4Ks for these two 4K Roku TVs I have but if they do an app it'll save me a cool $300.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Airplay 2 news is nice but Movies Anywhere has made the movie stuff redundant since almost everything has a movie service tied to MA and most movies carry across all services.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Airplay 2 news is nice but Movies Anywhere has made the movie stuff redundant since almost everything has a movie service tied to MA and most movies carry across all services.

This is true for most people, but he just listed an assload of 4K devices and I’m guessing needs to play stuff directly from iTunes for the “no 4K upcharge” feature.

If you’re like me (never gonna bother with 4K unless it’s something I like a whole hell of a lot) then yeah MA has rendered these content farms irrelevant.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

If your TV doesn't have a 60hz HDR mode then just set the aTV to be locked in 30hz HDR. The only reason is swaps between formats is because Apple wants the menus to be a buttery smooth 60fps so it defaults to whatever format is 60hz capable for the menus. You shouldn't need to shut off HDR entirely.

Yeah, I've checked everything and the Sony 930D 55" TV only has a generic "Enhanced Format" setting for each HDMI Port.

I tried the goon preferred ATV SDR/HDR settings again and yep, same issue as before, it just sits there thinking for 5 seconds with a black screen every time you exit out of anything. I'm guessing it's the TV.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 7, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Still matters to people outside the US, though. That's one of the great things about iTunes; the music and movie offerings are pretty much the best short of buying physical. Shame the TV shows ironically aren't available to most countries.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The real reason for this just dawned on me. Apple is launching a streaming video service. They want that poo poo on as many devices as possible.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

The real reason for this just dawned on me. Apple is launching a streaming video service. They want that poo poo on as many devices as possible.

Yeah and they prob wanna hurry up and roll that poo poo out now that they lowered their earnings forecast and everyone freaked out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are they still dead set on everything being “G” rated only?

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are they still dead set on everything being “G” rated only?

They are rumored to be easing up on that restriction.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
starting to think that maybe the steam link app isn't coming out after all!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I feel the same way about the Slingbox app

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I now have a 4K oled tv but I'm struggling to find a reason to upgrade my Apple TV to match it.

My two big uses are plex and youtube, and my tv has both apps built in and they support HEVC/4k/hdr stuff. Since the ATV4k doesn't support YouTube's codec, I guess I could just use it as an airplay device?

I suppose iTunes movie streaming? Which i would rarely use since I have plex and a file server.

Cool that my tv remote feeds commands into the Apple TV though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think AirPlay supports 4K anyway, so doesn’t sound like it’s worth upgrading for you.

I prefer the Apple TV apps to my LG OLEDs implementation but if they keep working for you then all is good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think AirPlay supports 4K anyway, so doesn’t sound like it’s worth upgrading for you.

I prefer the Apple TV apps to my LG OLEDs implementation but if they keep working for you then all is good.

Yeah same here. The apps on my 4K LG leave a lot to be desired which is why I got the 4K ATV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4KATV is really slick.I prefer the experience over the built-in apps but it's also $150 so I can't really recommend it unless you really want it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m in the same boat with the previous gen ATV on an LG OLED. I don’t really feel like it’s worth the upgrade yet, perhaps the next ATV refresh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

4KATV is really slick.I prefer the experience over the built-in apps but it's also $150 so I can't really recommend it unless you really want it.

I managed to get one of my 4kATVs from direct tv now for free. You just had to sign up for 3 months of service which I was going to do anyway.

That’s another reason I went for the 4K my LG (at the time) didn’t have an app for direct tv now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's how I got my 4K. Didn't use the DTV Now service at all, but couldn't say no for a $100 ATV4K. Retired the ATV4 to the guest bedroom and moved the Roku from there into mine. Everyone's a winner.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AmazonTV Apps are not great as the SoC in the TV is usually not what you'd call cutting edge. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of Google being able to track every loving thing I watch.

I realize no matter what service I use is going to track things, but Play Store apps don't have a great track record of being air-tight when it comes to security and Google doesn't seem to care about users accidentally granting permissions. The first thing I did when I got my Bravia is make sure wireless and bluetooth was disabled (not unconfigured, but actually turned off). I only turned it on to update the firmware because I was having issues with the sound. After that, turned it back off.

I won't even consider Samsung smart TVs due to the shenanigans they got up to with their TVs. Also their other appliances are pretty poo poo as well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the current rumor is they will be releasing the more violent content under the touchstone-esque label, "lomarf pictures"

derk
Sep 24, 2004
Not sure this is where I should ask but it seems like a good starting point.

So, in our conference room at work we have some old tech, and when sales meetings and product updates are done in our conference room, we have a old rear end projector which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. We also have 2 46" Vizio HDTV's non-smart. Every sales guy brings in either a laptop or a tablet, but not everything has HDMI out, I am trying to find a good universal screen casting solution. I have thought of Chromecast or Apple TV, as today I witnessed a guy using an iPad and he brought an Apple TV with him and it just worked perfectly. My question is is Apple TV the answer? Does it play well with non apple products. Most guys bring in standard win7/win10 laptops. Our network / wifi is not the best in the conference room, I should say it is the wifi, Ethernet is throughout the building, but casting obviously rarely uses that route. I could easily hide a Apple TV in the cabinet and have it up on the TV's no problem, I am just not vexed well with how well chromecast or apple tv works as a universal casting option. Most guys are just running slideshows, some guys have videos with sound as well, so these are all options I need to try to fulfill. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK you can’t airplay from a non iOS / Apple device but I could be wrong as there could be an app on windows 10 that lets you do it but I would imagine that comes with a host of problems.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

derk posted:

So, in our conference room at work we have some old tech, and when sales meetings and product updates are done in our conference room, we have a old rear end projector which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. We also have 2 46" Vizio HDTV's non-smart. Every sales guy brings in either a laptop or a tablet, but not everything has HDMI out, I am trying to find a good universal screen casting solution. I have thought of Chromecast or Apple TV, as today I witnessed a guy using an iPad and he brought an Apple TV with him and it just worked perfectly. My question is is Apple TV the answer? Does it play well with non apple products. Most guys bring in standard win7/win10 laptops. Our network / wifi is not the best in the conference room, I should say it is the wifi, Ethernet is throughout the building, but casting obviously rarely uses that route. I could easily hide a Apple TV in the cabinet and have it up on the TV's no problem, I am just not vexed well with how well chromecast or apple tv works as a universal casting option. Most guys are just running slideshows, some guys have videos with sound as well, so these are all options I need to try to fulfill. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

There's really no good "universal" casting option. Apple TVs work great (and in my experience are way more reliable with Apple products than Windows/PC casting products are) but not everyone has a Mac or an iPad. In our conference room, we ended up with an LG SmartTV, HDMI & AppleTV option. But there is no perfect solution, unfortunately. I haven't really used Chromecast, but had used those lovely Windows/Microsoft branded dongles and boy do they suck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think you can get Windows drivers to AirPlay to an Apple TV but they’re not official or anything. I’m not convinced there is a universal option, as I was curious to see if my iPhone could cast to my bedroom TVs system and it appeared that would be a no. ChromeCast might be the closest option though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The problem here is getting a random salesguy to install your unofficial third-party driver on Windows. Getting them to install the Chromecast extension is probably a bit easier. I'd say if the TV has multiple inputs, get a Chromecast and an Apple TV. That should cover everything.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The problem here is getting a random salesguy to install your unofficial third-party driver on Windows. Getting them to install the Chromecast extension is probably a bit easier. I'd say if the TV has multiple inputs, get a Chromecast and an Apple TV. That should cover everything.

that was also a thought of mine, to get both.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I moved to a new team recently and I have been driven insane by every single meeting beginning with one of these olds repeatedly trying and failing to connect to the Miracast adapter before falling back on the HDMI cable sitting in front of them. So I would not recommend that route.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I moved to a new team recently and I have been driven insane by every single meeting beginning with one of these olds repeatedly trying and failing to connect to the Miracast adapter before falling back on the HDMI cable sitting in front of them. So I would not recommend that route.

So, I do have a 25 foot HDMI cable. USB to HDMI a good option? Like I said some of these laptops have a nice HDMI output, others do not, but they all have USB, at least 2.0.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I used to use one of those USB to HDMI adapters to run 2 monitors off my closed laptop and they work well enough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

derk posted:

We use Solstice for universal screen casting. Seems to work pretty well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright I finally got a 4K tv. I turned the 4K HDR/Dolby video or whatever on and everything I watch is jumpy as gently caress unless I turn source matching on. Does that sound right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Which TV? Is it an OLED?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Alright I finally got a 4K tv. I turned the 4K HDR/Dolby video or whatever on and everything I watch is jumpy as gently caress unless I turn source matching on. Does that sound right?

You want to set the menus I believe to 4K/SDR and yeah turn source matching on. The constant switching from HDR menus to SDR content is what makes it seem annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Which TV? Is it an OLED?

Sony X900F.

Mahoning posted:

You want to set the menus I believe to 4K/SDR and yeah turn source matching on. The constant switching from HDR menus to SDR content is what makes it seem annoying.

Yeah the second or two it takes to switch is pretty annoying but whatever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've never had this problem, never had source matching on. My last 4K TV was a Sony, not the same model as yours but probably somewhat similar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went through all the recommended rtings settings. Looks much better.

I have my brightness set at 25 for SDR, but when it switches to HDR, it moves it to max, yet the movie or whatever seems half as bright, but the menus are super bright. That seems odd.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Anyone ever have 5th gen AppleTV remote issues? I’ve got a strange lag between the remote and the AppleTV. I’ll move the selection or click a button and sometimes it takes full seconds to register. The remote also sometimes loses connection for no reason at all and the disconnection notification pops up, only the reconnect a second later. I’ve restarted the AppleTV a million times, charged the remote and re-paired the remote a handful of times. Re-pairing seems to solve the issues for a short while but the issues return. I read somewhere that there may be Bluetooth interference from something else in our home but I don’t know what that could be from as these problems didn’t arise at the same time as bringing a new a new laptop or phone into the house (which are all Apples anyway). There shouldn’t be any other Bluetooth items on in our house that I can think of....Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stupid puma posted:

Anyone ever have 5th gen AppleTV remote issues? I’ve got a strange lag between the remote and the AppleTV. I’ll move the selection or click a button and sometimes it takes full seconds to register. The remote also sometimes loses connection for no reason at all and the disconnection notification pops up, only the reconnect a second later. I’ve restarted the AppleTV a million times, charged the remote and re-paired the remote a handful of times. Re-pairing seems to solve the issues for a short while but the issues return. I read somewhere that there may be Bluetooth interference from something else in our home but I don’t know what that could be from as these problems didn’t arise at the same time as bringing a new a new laptop or phone into the house (which are all Apples anyway). There shouldn’t be any other Bluetooth items on in our house that I can think of....Any ideas?

Could be a bad remote. I had something similar and they just gave me a new remote which fixed it.