Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

BurtLington posted:

BER-NIE SAN-DERS

*clap, clap, clap clap clap*

BER-NIE SAN-DERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

NotWearingPants posted:

I support reparations and Bernie could move the Overton Window by declaring his support. But I think he will do more good by becoming president than by moving the Overton window on reparations and losing.

It's like transgender rights. I support them fully. But I can also acknowledge that giving republicans the ammunition to campaign against "democrats who want to force your juvenile daughter to share a bathroom with adult men" may not be the most effective course of action to deliver equality. But I'm not sure about that either. Maybe in the long run moving the Overton window is actually more effective than winning elections. It can be difficult to find a balance between ideological purity and the pragmatic goal of actually winning elections. It's made even more difficult when any compromises made to win elections are compromises that affect the the lives of real people who are suffering real discrimination.

So, yeah, I don't know.

The Republicans are going to say that regardless of what your position or statements are.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

I support reparations and Bernie could move the Overton Window by declaring his support. But I think he will do more good by becoming president than by moving the Overton window on reparations and losing.

It's like transgender rights. I support them fully. But I can also acknowledge that giving republicans the ammunition to campaign against "democrats who want to force your juvenile daughter to share a bathroom with adult men" may not be the most effective course of action to deliver equality. But I'm not sure about that either. Maybe in the long run moving the Overton window is actually more effective than winning elections. It can be difficult to find a balance between ideological purity and the pragmatic goal of actually winning elections. It's made even more difficult when any compromises made to win elections are compromises that affect the the lives of real people who are suffering real discrimination.

So, yeah, I don't know.

political strategy tip: never give a poo poo about how many names the republicans might call you, they're going to do it anyway

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NotWearingPants posted:

Reparations seems like really good policy to me. You are talking about something that would most likely cost less than the Bush or Trump tax cuts but unlike those giveaways it would have an enormous economic stimulus effect because most of the people receiving the reparations aren't going to put the money in a tax shelter account in the Bahamas.

His policy of infrastructure spending, investing into underprivileged communities, job programs etc. IS reparations. He just needs to say so explicitly.

There needs to be a systemic transformation of the way the government spends money in the long term as part of these reparations, not just a lump payment, in order for an economic stimulus to actually happen.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

His policy of infrastructure spending, investing into underprivileged communities, job programs etc. IS reparations. He just needs to say so explicitly.

There needs to be a systemic transformation of the way the government spends money in the long term as part of these reparations, not just a lump payment, in order for an economic stimulus to actually happen.

He did that in 2016 and got attacked for not caring about black people. The only way for him to not lose the reparations game is not to play it unless somebody firmly defines what it means first.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
remember when obama gave everyone 300 bucks lmao that helped thanks

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i legitimately do not

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Food Boner posted:

that was george w bush

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i bought a kitchen-aid mixer with it

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
still waiting for a candidate who supports reparations for Iraq, afganistan, lybia, honduras, nicaragua, japan, and vietnam

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when is the big thing tomorrow

im gonna watch it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Food Boner posted:

that was w

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

thanks obama

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Food Boner posted:

the Alaskan state government gives every permanent resident more than a thousand dollar check every year. they take it from oil profits. many of the people really depend on it, too.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Thoguh posted:

He did that in 2016 and got attacked for not caring about black people. The only way for him to not lose the reparations game is not to play it unless somebody firmly defines what it means first.

I'm inclined to agree with this.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Republicans are going to say that regardless of what your position or statements are.

strange game. the only winning move is not to play.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

a messed up horse posted:

that was george w bush

holy poo poo ur right thank u pres bush :patriot:

i think i just spent it on beer

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Bernard Sanders, WIEAD, PBUH

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I can't be at the rally tomorrow but I'll be wearing my 2016 delegate shirt in support!

BurtLington posted:

BER-NIE SAN-DERS

BER-NIE SAN-DERS

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't be at the rally tomorrow but I'll be wearing my 2016 delegate shirt in support!

Ber-nie *clap clap clap*
Ber-nie *clap clap clap*

That shirt would be the sweetest thrift store find in 20 years except you'll keep it forever obviously

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Wish Bernie would bring back the anime hair

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kazak posted:

Wish Bernie would bring back the anime hair

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

taqueso posted:

That shirt would be the sweetest thrift store find in 20 years except you'll keep it forever obviously
lol you're drat right

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Bernie is coming to Alabama for the Selma march this year. He's going to speak at the breakfast too.

the breakfast that is honoring Hillary Clinton :barf:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

is there a list showing bernie rally locations?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

really queer Christmas posted:

is there a list showing bernie rally locations?

So far looks like Brooklyn and Navy Pier in Chicago

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com...lyn/2977653002/

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol that guys signature

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

very thought-provoking piece from TwigsthePnoDude

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i got a yearnin for some bernin

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It looked so green and fair

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
When I built my shanty there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ThQkrXHdh4

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m not just going to Bernie’s rally tomorrow I’m volunteering for Bernie’s rally tomorrow

give me your energy, goons, I’ve never gone outside to do a politics before

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

I’m not just going to Bernie’s rally tomorrow I’m volunteering for Bernie’s rally tomorrow

hell eyah

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress 'em up! i plan to do the same in a less crowded place, also for the first time ever

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ POZ THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY'S NEG HOLE つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Taintrunner posted:

good on you, getting a head start on all of us :bern101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
Bernie would've won IS GOING TO WIN