Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

Anyone have experience with or recommend heavy squat stand-ups/walk-outs?

I'm moving towards 300 on the bar with my heavier sets and I definitely feel a bit shaky with anything above 270, so I'd really like to see if there's something I can use to help adapt my CNS before I roll a loaded bar down my spine

Uh make sure you are doing enough / proper warm up sets?

That’s pretty much the sure way to get your CNS ready for heavy sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
They say you're no longer a novice when your technique is stable

But I've been lifting for 7+ years and I'm still learning new cues like once a month?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MarcusSA posted:

Uh make sure you are doing enough / proper warm up sets?

That’s pretty much the sure way to get your CNS ready for heavy sets.

Yeah, fair point; I've been running 5/3/1 since last July and the warmup sets as per the program have been sufficient up to this point (my best set so far was an all-out of 270 x 10), but I just feel a touch unstable getting the bar off the rack. I also have to wonder if it's a mental thing too, like I'm psyching myself out before that final lift.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Put 355 on the bar and just hold it? Idk I see some people doing static holds with like 500 on the bar so it must do something

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Are you one of those guys who sets the pins to high and has to tip toe to walk out?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm moving towards 300 on the bar with my heavier sets and I definitely feel a bit shaky with anything above 270, so I'd really like to see if there's something I can use to help adapt my CNS before I roll a loaded bar down my spine

There's no CNS magic but it can trick your brain into thinking the weight isn't as bad. Apparently they're pretty taxing on you, actually, so you shouldn't do them often. Unless you're Jen Thompson, she seems to do holds every other day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

Are you one of those guys who sets the pins to high and has to tip toe to walk out?

Oh god I cringe when I see people do this.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

how else am i supposed to work on my plie for the BEEF BALLET

Nah, I set them just lower than shoulder height because I can just walk forward and relax without having to struggle the bar back in place after a big set.

e: funny that other people have seen that, I must work out at the half/quarter-squat gym. I haven't been at this too long and tiptoeing a squat bar off a rack just seems nonsensical to me, like sure weightlifting is uncomfortable but you'd figure out something wasn't right at some point doing that

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2019

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Front squatted 175lbs x5 today for a new PR. Feels good.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was in the gym for 45 minutes tonight (light work because I'm on a slow cut and also...) these two dudes did absolutely nothing but curls and triceps pulldowns for the whole time I was there. I didn't utter a single word.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I bet they have awesome arms

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ain't poo poo wrong with dedicating a day to arms.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I was in the gym for 45 minutes tonight (light work because I'm on a slow cut and also...) these two dudes did absolutely nothing but curls and triceps pulldowns for the whole time I was there. I didn't utter a single word.

Post your double bi

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
You'd hate me then because that's all I'm doing tomorrow morning.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i bet he didn't utter a single word cause those dudes would have used their strong and sexy arms to stuff him into one of the gym lockers

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

I also have to wonder if it's a mental thing too, like I'm psyching myself out before that final lift.

I bet it's this.

Its corny as hell, but I've been watching some motivational videos right before my a2s amraps on the last week of each block. Getting psyched up, even if only for a few moments, really seems to help.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
have you tried ammonia yet, friend?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nope, I saw you use it in one of your videos. Need to give it a try.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah, fair point; I've been running 5/3/1 since last July and the warmup sets as per the program have been sufficient up to this point (my best set so far was an all-out of 270 x 10), but I just feel a touch unstable getting the bar off the rack. I also have to wonder if it's a mental thing too, like I'm psyching myself out before that final lift.

At 270 x 10 you should be able to absolutely smoke 300, it's mental.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Do you skip your arm days??

I had my leg day on Wednesday and then played football (the non-brain damage one) the next day and now I can't walk. Still, this might be a pretty good way to get some cardio in your workout without torturing yourself on a treadmill.

There was also one guy at the gym who does the most half-assed reps of loving everything. Well more like quarter-assed because that's what his squats, lunges and presses look like. It's bizarre.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

ElectricSheep posted:

What exactly feels shaky? If it's the walk-out, practice taking as few and low steps as possible. If you feel the bar will roll off your back, maybe you're not tight enough. I recently tried a wider hand position for a few weeks and it definitely had a bad impact on my squat. You want to keep your hands as close as possible while being able to keep your elbows down.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you skip your arm days??

I had my leg day on Wednesday and then played football (the non-brain damage one) the next day and now I can't walk. Still, this might be a pretty good way to get some cardio in your workout without torturing yourself on a treadmill.

There was also one guy at the gym who does the most half-assed reps of loving everything. Well more like quarter-assed because that's what his squats, lunges and presses look like. It's bizarre.

I don't do "arm days". I haven't done an isolation lift since Bush was in office.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

I don't do "arm days". I haven't done an isolation lift since Bush was in office.

peak goon

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

idk why you'd avoid it! :feelsgood:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I only train LEGS

Who needs upper body muscles anyway, those are for POSERS

I will stomp all my enemies through the crust of the earth!!!!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
bc curls are the only arm exercise that exists. Right.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Nothing wrong with working out your biceps but everything that Mike Israetel says is dogma and he says bro splits are wrong. Having an "arm day" is wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Every day is full body day.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Disagree, some days are general upper body days, others are full body days. No lower-only days

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Having an arm day means you can't spend 2/3rds of every session blasting arms.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Big lats are cooler than big biceps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

:wrong:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

Nothing wrong with working out your biceps but everything that Mike Israetel says is dogma and he says bro splits are wrong. Having an "arm day" is wrong.

How come this custom spreadsheet I bought off him for $250 is only curls and tricep pulldowns?!?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQ1EFbQi3w

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Dum Cumpster posted:

How come this custom spreadsheet I bought off him for $250 is only curls and tricep pulldowns?!?

I guess the AI coaching is correctly adapting to your goals

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I like my five day chest/arms/shoulder/back (upper and lower)/leg rotation, did not realize it was so passé

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I like my five day chest/arms/shoulder/back (upper and lower)/leg rotation, did not realize it was so passé

All joking about how Mike Israetel can do no wrong aside, his point is that very, very few muscles take a week to heal, and it makes a lot of sense. There's no way your shoulders take a whole week to heal. You are almost guaranteed to make more progress if you train shoulders more often.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

MarcusSA posted:

Every day is full body day.

My barber is a 50 year old dude who does nothing but a full body circuit in the gym a few times a week and when he's done benching he will pick up the 3 plate loaded barbell and walk it 20 feet over to the squat rack. He says he can only go light now. I figure put in the work when im young and then coast when im older!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

If you're a natural lifter looking to put on muscle as fast as possible, then either full body 3x/week or an upper/lower split 4x/week is far superior to a bro split. But if you're having fun with what you're doing and you're happy with the results you're getting, then what do you care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

All joking about how Mike Israetel can do no wrong aside, his point is that very, very few muscles take a week to heal, and it makes a lot of sense. There's no way your shoulders take a whole week to heal. You are almost guaranteed to make more progress if you train shoulders more often.

Ok I was actually being dense and wondering "he/his templates have at least 3 arm days a week"