Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
As a eurogoon, American muscle cars :iiam:. 305's 496's, header 94'ers 53'ers I have no idea wtf people are on about. Are there any good resources? I'm being teased by a '73 Camaro for sale nearby, but I don't know poo poo and don't even know if it's a good car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

What *really* brought the jokes out was the hilarious size of the original controllers.

Still the most comfortable controller for my giant bear-claws.

I am the 1%

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

As a eurogoon, American muscle cars :iiam:. 305's 496's, header 94'ers 53'ers I have no idea wtf people are on about. Are there any good resources? I'm being teased by a '73 Camaro for sale nearby, but I don't know poo poo and don't even know if it's a good car.

There's no shortage of forums out there but why not this one? :v:

73 will be the tail end of the early second generation - IMO the best looking second generation cars since bumper laws did not treat that design well. Factory horsepower levels will already be down from the early cars but that really only matters if you want to keep the car stock. It either already has a small-block Chevy V8, or it's easy to put one in, and that's an engine where the sky is the limit.

At least here the problem is finding one that hasn't been utterly beaten to death by now, but also isn't priced in the stratosphere.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is my jam right here.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's no shortage of forums out there but why not this one? :v:

73 will be the tail end of the early second generation - IMO the best looking second generation cars since bumper laws did not treat that design well. Factory horsepower levels will already be down from the early cars but that really only matters if you want to keep the car stock. It either already has a small-block Chevy V8, or it's easy to put one in, and that's an engine where the sky is the limit.

At least here the problem is finding one that hasn't been utterly beaten to death by now, but also isn't priced in the stratosphere.

I see. Yeah I kinda like how it looks, especially from the back. The car for sale is sub $4k but is stripped from paint but supposed to have a working engine and tranny. There is something cool about American muscle cars, and there is a huge following in Sweden. Problem is, as always, parts availability. I know about the bumper laws and the environmental "choke" in the 70's on American cars (but not 100% on the timeline). The few parts places (surprisingly hard to google) are kinda expensive, but if I were to get an American car I'd love for it to be mechanically sound but kinda ratty looking.
Unfortunately swapping in engines is something that require re-registering the car which in turn requires paperwork from the manufacturer and/or using the custom build clause (which is a bit of a nightmare). Basically stock stuff or a load of hoops to jump through.
American V8's etc are cool, but it's kinda hard to keep up with the lingo of all the engines and mods.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

It either already has a small-block Chevy V8, or it's easy to put one in
I wonder if Euro parts availability would make it more expensive to do a, say, 305 to 350 swap.

MrOnBicycle posted:

American V8's etc are cool, but it's kinda hard to keep up with the lingo of all the engines and mods.
Yeah, there is a lot. I think it's ingrained into American enthusiasts to infer a motor's brand/configuration from its cubic inch displacement.

On the Chevy small block side, the two numbers that are probably most relevant are 350 and 305. 305s were the response to CAFE and fuel crisis. The 350 is the Lego block, where you could do potentially infinite mix and matching for mods. A 383 is a motor that has 350 bore size but increased stroke. It was never a production motor, so knowing someone has a 383 means they either made the mods or bought an aftermarket motor.
A second generation of small blocks also displaced 350 ci, but went by 5.7L, the metric displacement.

On the Ford small block side, the most common engines fall under the Windsor designation. 289 and 302 are the most common, though there was also a 351 ci Windsor motor.
The 302 become the 5.0, and aftermarket support for this lineage is really really strong. 5.0 in Ford good; 5.0 in GM not good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Slight correction: a stroked 350 gives you 377; 383 is bored (.030 over) and stroked. The .030 overbore is EXTREMELY common because gives you nice clean cylinder surfaces which is often a really good idea for decades-old engine. You almost never see a 377 out there, because there's no real reason to rebuild one of these engines and NOT bore it.

The longer stroke is obtained by using a crank from a 400 cubic engine small block...it was not a particularly popular motor because of casting issues that led to block failure, but the cranks are still in production.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 2, 2019

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I see. Yeah I kinda like how it looks, especially from the back. The car for sale is sub $4k but is stripped from paint but supposed to have a working engine and tranny. There is something cool about American muscle cars, and there is a huge following in Sweden. Problem is, as always, parts availability. I know about the bumper laws and the environmental "choke" in the 70's on American cars (but not 100% on the timeline). The few parts places (surprisingly hard to google) are kinda expensive, but if I were to get an American car I'd love for it to be mechanically sound but kinda ratty looking.
Unfortunately swapping in engines is something that require re-registering the car which in turn requires paperwork from the manufacturer and/or using the custom build clause (which is a bit of a nightmare). Basically stock stuff or a load of hoops to jump through.

If it's the car I think it is on Blocket, hooo boy do you have your work cut out. Muscle cars command a big premium, but if you can afford to go to at least 100kkr you'd get something that wasn't a total project.

Also, even though Bilprovningen has been getting more up to date on this stuff, no inspector will tell the difference between two small block engines if you don't start going crazy with tunnel ram intakes and poo poo. My -72 El Camino has had an 80s van engine for (from what I can tell) at least 15 years and no problems with inspection. People put crate engines of varying power levels and sizes in all kinds of old iron and never really run into any problems.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If you put AFR or dart heads on a punched out 350 would that fail inspection? Even here in North America where there are literal millions of these engines lying around, builders generally don’t touch heads anymore unless it’s for a weird stock racing class or a numbers matching engine restoration.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The emissions clamp started in 74 so if it's before that you'll be better off. You can gain a fair bit by porting the stock heads, too. They do suck a fair bit compared to an aftermarket head. I wonder if you could legally use a Vortec head over there.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

If you put AFR or dart heads on a punched out 350 would that fail inspection?

Not a problem at all, ever. Period.

Edit: If you don't for some incredibly stupid reason tell them, of course.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If it's the car I think it is on Blocket, hooo boy do you have your work cut out. Muscle cars command a big premium, but if you can afford to go to at least 100kkr you'd get something that wasn't a total project.

Also, even though Bilprovningen has been getting more up to date on this stuff, no inspector will tell the difference between two small block engines if you don't start going crazy with tunnel ram intakes and poo poo. My -72 El Camino has had an 80s van engine for (from what I can tell) at least 15 years and no problems with inspection. People put crate engines of varying power levels and sizes in all kinds of old iron and never really run into any problems.

Yeah it probably is (Ängelholm). That's what I feared as classic American cars usually cost an arm and a leg, but I really have no clue. For 100kkr I'd rather go European performance because easier to get parts and I know them better. I'd love a project, but in all honesty I'm soon to be fresh out of med school, so in reality I'd most likely end up as one of those "Selling my project after 15 years of it sitting under a tarp" no matter how much I wish I'd have the time. A man can dream though, a man can dream....

(It doesn't help that I'm a proper time optimist.)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

I hear this then I hear the flat-plane mustang and a single tear falls down my cheek. All the weird poo poo they did to that flat-plane in the name of packaging and cost took it so far away from what it could have been.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not a problem at all, ever. Period.

Edit: If you don't for some incredibly stupid reason tell them, of course.

Yeah. If you're willing to import parts and slap some paint on them, Vortec heads are still cast iron and look like any other factory SBC head. The only external giveaway that they're late heads are the center bolt valve covers. They also have a different intake manifold bolt pattern but it's easy to make a Vortec manifold look like a cast iron stocker.

Throw a lumpy hydraulic roller cam in it and make all the power, with an engine that won't look any different to an inspector.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrOnBicycle posted:

There are plenty people with American muscle cars around here (relatively speaking of course, there are more miatas in our club than all of them I'd guess) and you can definitely do it if you really want to. Certainly if you have a lot of money and/or time to dump into it, ideally both.

I spoke with a lady who had a Mk1 Mustang at C&C and of course you can pretty much build a new car from aftermarket parts shipped from the US, but they get pretty expensive considering shipping and taxes, and take forever to get here and through customs. So you can't just roadkill it and just push it into a nearest parts shop whenever it dies. Plus as you mention, modifications are a paperwork hell or not allowed at all on historical plates, etc.

I don't mind wrenching occasionally but especially without a garage and lift I much rather just drive than mess with the cars, which is why the miata is still mostly stock. And instead of trying to get an ancient rustbucket to work reliably, I'd probably get the current Mustang once it's a bit cheaper used - I'm sure you could get five hunnet horsepower out of the GT with no impact on reliability, and it will be cheaper in the long term.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't mind wrenching occasionally but especially without a garage and lift I much rather just drive than mess with the cars, which is why the miata is still mostly stock. And instead of trying to get an ancient rustbucket to work reliably, I'd probably get the current Mustang once it's a bit cheaper used - I'm sure you could get five hunnet horsepower out of the GT with no impact on reliability, and it will be cheaper in the long term.

I like wrenching when not under time pressure but it kinda needs to be fun and manageable. I find it very relaxing then. But on the other hand, there is nothing worse than "oh poo poo have to get this sorted so I can get to work tomorrow!".
There really is a huge following when it comes to American cars in Sweden, almost ridiculously so for how small a population we have. I would have thought that someone had found a good European source though.
As you say, getting a newer Mustang is probably a much better idea for a Muscle car, and I must say I'm very partial (which probably means I'm weird) to the Terminator Cobra Mustangs. Out of the new muscle cars I really like the looks of the Challenger. It's just too mean-looking. But at that point I'm entering Giulia-territory (although no glorious V8!) and that car is just so drat good looking that I'm afraid to test drive it as I'd probably make stupid financial decisions..

I'd love to find a V8 car (doesn't even have to be fast) and own one for a while just to experience it before it's "too late".

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Your best bet for a cheap V8 will be something European, a BMW 540/740, Mercedes S500/E55 AMG or something like that. I'm personally on the hunt for a Jaguar XJR for the same reasons as you (if you don't care about it being fast then X308 XJs are dirt cheap).

If you're looking for a classic American thing then there's a huge industry in Poland around importing them in all sorts of varying conditions. For example:
https://allegro.pl/kategoria/zabytkowe-amerykanskie-18984?order=p&bmatch=baseline-n-ann-1-2-0131
You can also get great quality bodywork done there for a fraction of the price in Scandinavia (or budget quality work for like €100/body panel), and there's a lot of places that will rebuild hard-to-find mechanical stuff for a good price, I had my W124s automatic variable-slip diff rebuilt by a guy for like €70 plus shipping and he did a great job. The only caveat is that it's a hard (and expensive) industry to navigate without local knowledge and the language. I'm fluent enough to pass as a local and am actually helping a couple of Norwegian buddies get their cars restored, so if you're curious shoot me a PM :)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Hyundai genesis might also be another option. And Japan doesnt have much for recent V8 options that arent SUVs or quite expensive even used. I dont know how the 90s/early 00s used Lexus market looks like where youre at, which is where most of Japan's small car V8 offerings existed.

Theres always the e92 M3 though.....

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Lexus GS had always come with a V8 and the IS-F does too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

Slight correction: a stroked 350 gives you 377; 383 is bored (.030 over) and stroked. The .030 overbore is EXTREMELY common because gives you nice clean cylinder surfaces which is often a really good idea for decades-old engine. You almost never see a 377 out there, because there's no real reason to rebuild one of these engines and NOT bore it.

poo poo, you're right. I did some math in the browser window and was wondering why multiplying by the 400 crank length increase wasn't getting 383. :eng99:
And yeah, even a mod like "boring 0.030 over" is so common for modifying small blocks that it barely registers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Hyundai genesis might also be another option. And Japan doesnt have much for recent V8 options that arent SUVs or quite expensive even used. I dont know how the 90s/early 00s used Lexus market looks like where youre at, which is where most of Japan's small car V8 offerings existed.

Theres always the e92 M3 though.....

Grakkus posted:

Your best bet for a cheap V8 will be something European, a BMW 540/740, Mercedes S500/E55 AMG or something like that. I'm personally on the hunt for a Jaguar XJR for the same reasons as you (if you don't care about it being fast then X308 XJs are dirt cheap).

If you're looking for a classic American thing then there's a huge industry in Poland around importing them in all sorts of varying conditions. For example:
https://allegro.pl/kategoria/zabytkowe-amerykanskie-18984?order=p&bmatch=baseline-n-ann-1-2-0131
You can also get great quality bodywork done there for a fraction of the price in Scandinavia (or budget quality work for like €100/body panel), and there's a lot of places that will rebuild hard-to-find mechanical stuff for a good price, I had my W124s automatic variable-slip diff rebuilt by a guy for like €70 plus shipping and he did a great job. The only caveat is that it's a hard (and expensive) industry to navigate without local knowledge and the language. I'm fluent enough to pass as a local and am actually helping a couple of Norwegian buddies get their cars restored, so if you're curious shoot me a PM :)

The Germans scare me a bit though as 95% of cars are ruined by POs. I'm not that into American cars. There are a few that I find really cool (like the second gen Corvair), but in general I find that they are cool as hell when in the US, but in Europe many feel a bit out of place. I do have a soft spot for the Lexus LS400. It's not fast, but kinda reliable and sound great. There aren't many for sale, but they seem less sensitive to stupid POs and people don't tend to be as harsh to them as with German cars.
I've also heard good things about Poland. There are a few guys in the Swedish Alfa Romeo club that seem to swear by going to Poland for services etc. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

But yeah. Maybe Lexus LS400 is the way to go for a V8.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's......beautiful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Burn VW to the ground and get the naming rights back.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Can you imagine that with a modern FiST engine in it? Or an entire FoRS drivetrain if you can shoehorn it in there?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
unf

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's from the 70s, right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I hope that's the new Bronco.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Germans scare me a bit though as 95% of cars are ruined by POs. I'm not that into American cars. There are a few that I find really cool (like the second gen Corvair), but in general I find that they are cool as hell when in the US, but in Europe many feel a bit out of place. I do have a soft spot for the Lexus LS400. It's not fast, but kinda reliable and sound great. There aren't many for sale, but they seem less sensitive to stupid POs and people don't tend to be as harsh to them as with German cars.
I've also heard good things about Poland. There are a few guys in the Swedish Alfa Romeo club that seem to swear by going to Poland for services etc. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

But yeah. Maybe Lexus LS400 is the way to go for a V8.

I think being out of place is part of the fun. Every other rear end in a top hat has a BMW or Porsche V8 but a proper land barge is something else.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

This did not get enough love.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's from the 70s, right?

I would have bet the 80s but you're right, 1978

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope that's the new Bronco.

I think being out of place is part of the fun. Every other rear end in a top hat has a BMW or Porsche V8 but a proper land barge is something else.

IT might be a problem depending on how wide the streets are where they live.
Imagine, a picturesque European hamlet, and oh, whats this coming around the cor-WINGADINGADINGADINGAWINGADINGADINGADINGA

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

That offset stripe with "FORD" off to the side on the front is so badass

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

:stwoon: :shlick: Holy poo poo I never realized I needed something in my life as badly as when I saw this. It's absolutely perfect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Small cars with chunky tires are literally the best look ever.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Give me more rubber and smaller rims over rubber band tires any day of the week.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If anyone needs me I'll be in my bunk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I came in my pants.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Memento posted:

If anyone needs me I'll be in my bunk.

Came here to post this. </entendre>

:flashfap:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chris Knight posted:

This is my jam right here.

Yup. Plum Crazy is fuckin' sexy on something with a nice shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Puddin posted:

Give me more rubber and smaller rims over rubber band tires any day of the week.

A friend with massive $$$$ wheels and stretched tyres took his car to a track day. 3rd corner the bead rolled off a front wheel, ditched the rim into the asphalt and made for a very expensive day for him due to the rims being custom lipped.

So I'm very much with you on this.