Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
ITT people miss the point of Reigen's very first talk with Mob about how people with psychic powers are no different from people who are good with running or have strong body odor.

Teru may have elements of being chuuni, but he's more like the people who base their entire identity on the one talent they have, and think they're superior because of it. Remove that talent and they have nothing left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
To be clear, the show has a lot to say about that mindset, but it does it in the context of making a larger point. (Fangz is right on the money, here.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 1, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm not discounting the the chuuni analysis because I think it's an interesting lens to view season 1, but it's not the core of the show nor is what psychic powers are a metaphor for. Psychic powers are a metaphor for any sort of talent you have. Some people are just naturally better at viola or soccer or singing, but basing your entire identity on it (Teru), thinking you're superior just because of it (s1 Claw), or thinking you're not normal because of it (Mob) is not a good mindset.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 1, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, Fangz is right.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Sakuga Blog made a fairly lengthy post about the Mogami Arc.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/03/01/mob-psycho-100-ii-production-notes-4-5/

quote:

"A very interesting bit of trivia in that regard is that this episode was actually the first one to get made in season two’s non-chronological production, and was finished by August of last year. Outstanding conditions allow for outstanding creations."
That's nuts.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's interesting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I gotta give this one to Fangz, but

skaianDestiny posted:

ITT people miss the point of Reigen's very first talk with Mob about how people with psychic powers are no different from people who are good with running or have strong body odor.

Teru may have elements of being chuuni, but he's more like the people who base their entire identity on the one talent they have, and think they're superior because of it. Remove that talent and they have nothing left.

Really the throughline of the entire series is about narcissism and how to overcome it, and the reason the chuuni comparison was made is because that's the most delusional form of narcissism you can find in series, and Mob's entire premise is a refutation of the core idea behind the phenomenon. At its core, chuunibyou is the idea that "If I had special talents, I would be special and therefore important" and the core message of the series is "even if you did have special talents, you are still a person and that's important to remember." People who think they should rule the world, people who think they are the protagonist of the world, people who think their suffering is more important than the world's, people who don't even acknowledge the world at all. They all illustrate the idea of having those special powers that chuunibyou wish they have, and act with toxic self-centeredness that comes with thinking they're more special and more important than the people they affect.

So outright saying psychic powers are a metaphor for chuunibyou maybe an incorrect and overly precise phrasing, but MP100 at its foundation is an absolute rejection of chuunibyou.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 1, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Saying that the show is an "absolute rejection" "at its foundation" of chuunibyou or narcissism is, I think, saying too much. The show does reject chuunibyou (rightly oc), but it's not about rejecting chuunibyou. Mob has rejected that outlook since before the first episode, and he's never tempted by it. None-the-less, Mob grows and changes and a character. If the show was just anti-narcissisistic, he wouldn't need to change.

A lot has been said about Mob's initial meeting with Reigen, but the other significant event from his childhood is when he and his brother were physically assaulted by adults and he unknowingly defended himself with his powers, and in doing so badly injured his assailants. Mob's trauma from this event is one of the most direct throughlines of his personality and character in the show. He internalizes that he was wrong to have hurt his assailants, and therefore wrong to defend himself, and therefore wrong to value his own life.

A large part of the show is him facing this trauma in new context. He doesn't defend himself from Teru, even when he comes at him with a knife, and continually holds back until he's in a position where he doesn't have any choice but to lash out at full strength. Later, Mob will be shown not to hesitate to debase himself, but will still beat Koyama half to death for endangering his brother (Mob is perfectly willing defend someone else). In a similar situation, it seems like he'll be forced to use his powers to defend his friends only for Reigen to step in and uses Mob's powers to deescalate the conflict. Reigen doesn't just handle things on Mob's behalf, he teaches Mob that there is a safe and responsible way to handle psychic powers, that there is a middle ground between being being a complete doormat and going all out 100% Murderous Intent.

In short, Mob starts the show with a near perfect anti-narcissistic worldview, and it's harmful to him and he grows by unlearning it. The show isn't anti-chuuni, it's pro-self respect.

(It is still anti-chuuni because that is respecting yourself for what you can do instead of who you are as a person. One of the reasons that Teru is unconvinced by Mob in their first encounter is because Mob transparently discloses his lack of respect for himself. "We're the same. In my eyes, you're a commoner." Mob isn't able to offer any actually alternative to being a chuuni other than self pity.)

This carries on into the second season, where Mob grown a little as a person and has managed to recontextualize his world view slightly, but still holds onto old habits. We see this a little when he's rescued from bullies by his friends, who each tell him that they support him, but he should respect himself more. And the ultimate payout to this (so far, at least) is when he confronts Mogami, and is able to fully go all out with his abilities -- to protect other people, to protect himself, and with enough finesse to even spare Mogami.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 2, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know, that's fair. I'm convinced.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In my opinion part of the metaphor is that ‘even if your childish delusions of superpowers are actually a real thing, that it’s still unacceptable to deny the rest of reality and fail to grow as a member of society.’

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like reframing one's perspective to see the theme as being more "pro-self-respect" than anti-anything is very affirming, even just to read it in the context of discussion. And reinforces the ultimately positive message of accepting yourself and, in doing so, being able to accept others.

I like it a lot actually. It's nice to have outside feedback to reflect on I guess.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Mob is Good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Saying that the show is an "absolute rejection" "at its foundation" of chuunibyou or narcissism is, I think, saying too much. The show does reject chuunibyou (rightly oc), but it's not about rejecting chuunibyou. Mob has rejected that outlook since before the first episode, and he's never tempted by it. None-the-less, Mob grows and changes and a character. If the show was just anti-narcissisistic, he wouldn't need to change.

A lot has been said about Mob's initial meeting with Reigen, but the other significant event from his childhood is when he and his brother were physically assaulted by adults and he unknowingly defended himself with his powers, and in doing so badly injured his assailants. Mob's trauma from this event is one of the most direct throughlines of his personality and character in the show. He internalizes that he was wrong to have hurt his assailants, and therefore wrong to defend himself, and therefore wrong to value his own life.

A large part of the show is him facing this trauma in new context. He doesn't defend himself from Teru, even when he comes at him with a knife, and continually holds back until he's in a position where he doesn't have any choice but to lash out at full strength. Later, Mob will be shown not to hesitate to debase himself, but will still beat Koyama half to death for endangering his brother (Mob is perfectly willing defend someone else). In a similar situation, it seems like he'll be forced to use his powers to defend his friends only for Reigen to step in and uses Mob's powers to deescalate the conflict. Reigen doesn't just handle things on Mob's behalf, he teaches Mob that there is a safe and responsible way to handle psychic powers, that there is a middle ground between being being a complete doormat and going all out 100% Murderous Intent.

In short, Mob starts the show with a near perfect anti-narcissistic worldview, and it's harmful to him and he grows by unlearning it. The show isn't anti-chuuni, it's pro-self respect.

(It is still anti-chuuni because that is respecting yourself for what you can do instead of who you are as a person. One of the reasons that Teru is unconvinced by Mob in their first encounter is because Mob transparently discloses his lack of respect for himself. "We're the same. In my eyes, you're a commoner." Mob isn't able to offer any actually alternative to being a chuuni other than self pity.)

This carries on into the second season, where Mob grown a little as a person and has managed to recontextualize his world view slightly, but still holds onto old habits. We see this a little when he's rescued from bullies by his friends, who each tell him that they support him, but he should respect himself more. And the ultimate payout to this (so far, at least) is when he confronts Mogami, and is able to fully go all out with his abilities -- to protect other people, to protect himself, and with enough finesse to even spare Mogami.

I think the show's message is more that chuunibyou is a bad mental crutch that is symptomatic of deeper psychological problems. It's a defense against the frustration and pain of being abnormal, because if you act way more abnormal than you really are, you make yourself feel more normal. Everyone in Claw felt abnormal in some way, whether that was a self-induced notion or one forced upon them by society, so they resorted to chuunibyou as a way of venting/masking their inner frustrations. In doing so, they let their powers define them. All of the "good" psychics in this show have become comfortable enough with themselves to use their powers as a tool, rather than letting their powers define them. We see this explicitly and early on with Teru, who after his sublimating experience against 100% Mob, came to understood that being a person is more important than being a psychic, because the latter is merely an extension of the former.

Mob followed a different psychological path. His powers made him feel abnormal like the Claw psychics, but he also rejected the chuunibyou that drives Claw in part because he came to understand the danger he poses by misusing his powers. So instead of leaning on his powers and his abnormality as a crutch, he instead shies away from them and chases a misguided sense of normalcy. His powers were mainly driven by emotion, and so he thought that being normal must mean being unemotional and analytical. This creates a double-edged sword when it comes to his relationship with his brother. Mob dotes on Ritsu only out of respect for his technical capabilities, but he never thinks about how Ritsu feels about anything. That lack of emotional intelligence bites him when Ritsu finally becomes jealous of his older brother's powers. It also bites him when it comes to his relationship with his classmates... of which he has none because he doesn't know how to connect with them without emotion. Unlike Teru, he believes that his powers would only hurt the people around him, so he can't use his powers to make friends instead.

Mob is so intent on avoiding the chuuni path that in trying to avoid overly expressing himself, he's suppressed himself to the point of becoming a wallflower.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the shows message is reigen is ftw and so is mob

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to say I watched a small handful of reaction videos because I was bored and I'm kind of tickled by the audience shift in hitting 100%

Peeking at highlights I saw people pop off when he hit 100 for the first time, and chomping at the bit for Mob to hit 100 again for cool things to happen. Jump to the current episode and those same people are now voicing concern on "oh no don't hit 100! That's bad! Calm down!"

It's a fun takeaway on how people have grown to like Shigeo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Even in this season, hell, especially in this season, 100% has been a good thing though. The one 100% we got was 100% Courage, the proof of Mob's growth, and previous 100%s still had good things like Gratefulness.

The problem is when he hits ???%. THEN bad poo poo is happening. And...that's our current situation, yeah. Poor Mob.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

The problem is when he hits ???%. THEN bad poo poo is happening. And...that's our current situation, yeah. Poor Mob.

Not necessarily. He was about to be overwhelmed by the spirits Mogami had unleashed before he hit ???%, but then he defeated them, briefly became an almost angelic figure, and saved the day no fuss. So ???% might not be a strictly bad thing.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not necessarily. He was about to be overwhelmed by the spirits Mogami had unleashed before he hit ???%, but then he defeated them, briefly became an almost angelic figure, and saved the day no fuss. So ???% might not be a strictly bad thing.

In the manga, ???% is much more ominous.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

100% can be good because, as in Ultimate Courage, it can show Mob's positive as well as negative emotions. It's still not great because its Mob being overwhelmed by his emotions that he's still keeping in tight check rather then being a more normal teenager who can have emotion without going nuts psychically but it's on the better part of the sliding scale.

???% seems to not be Mob in control at all. Whether its his lizard hindbrain fighting for survival when presented life or death situations or some third party residing deep in Mob's soul that only surfaces when he loses control is unclear, but it's pretty clear that Mob is not acting as himself in ???%.

(Interestingly, the Mogami arc showed that whatever ???% is, its tied to Mob as a soul/person rather then to his body, since he was able to go ???% in Mogamiworld and Dimple could possess Mob's body without getting burnt by that "thing that should not be touched")

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo this episode was a rollercoaster of emotions.

I kinda expected his family to be okay. But I had no idea where this Claw plot was going to go. But introducing these new guys, making them look like the real danger, then roflstomping them to show us, no the Super 5 ARE, in fact, legit. Was a brilliant piece of writing. And it was nice to see these old characters return.

Also I apologize Suzuki, you're a very good boy

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
One thing I really missed from the manga was this line here:

EDIT: They also cut out Teru's fight, which TBH was better for the pacing since it dragged, but it means we lost some good poo poo like:

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 4, 2019

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Finally time to post one of the best omakes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

skaianDestiny posted:

One thing I really missed from the manga was this line here:

EDIT: They also cut out Teru's fight, which TBH was better for the pacing since it dragged, but it means we lost some good poo poo like:

I did like how they made the fight the eyecatch for this episode.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I was also bummed that Teru's fight was cut. The eyecatch was cool and basically summarized it, Teru takes the explosion fine, chases the guy but he's lead into a trap but it's revealed that Teru was a clone all along and then uses air whips to beat him easily, all to emphasize that Teru's thing now is being a jack of all trades and picking up a bunch of different moves rather than having one style. Would have made him maybe look less of a jobber to Ryo, but he still got to be the cool guy with the other kids being jealous of him. Hope he changes that top soon tho, I hate it.

I hope people aren't too bummed by the fakeout, the manga absolutely does not end the chapter like Episode 8 does, Dimple yelling at Mob happens right after and the chapter ends with maybe they're still alive. I love seeing the new characters though. The electronic guy's aura was really cool, looking a color test I love how everyone, even the one-off buff guy at the beginning has a different style and pattern to their aura

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 4, 2019

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

I really like the way Shimazaki teleported from panel to panel in the manga when he was dodging the body guards, but that bullet dodging animation in the anime was really nice too.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Theowulv posted:

I really like the way Shimazaki teleported from panel to panel in the manga when he was dodging the body guards, but that bullet dodging animation in the anime was really nice too.

ONE's stuff is always very male-heavy, so I liked the female guard in that scene.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Omakes for Mob Psycho were always utterly sensational. When the anime is fully done, you all owe it to yourselves to read them.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Probably my fav omake

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
There is no way they are gonna cover the rest of the manga with like 3 episodes left right?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
episode 13 will be the last episode and yeah there's no way

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I rescind my earlier statement of "gently caress that kid." Well, not completely. I'm still holding a grudge against Shou for traumatizing Mob, regardless of how well I understand the rationale. Good on him for keeping the Kageyamas safe, though.

"gently caress Claw" still stands, though. Good thing Reigen is Reigen and formed a small esper militia just by giving them a good talking-to about lording their powers over other people, completely incidentally. Now that Claw's going on an all-out attack, I wonder how everybody's going to change by the time they're done fighting, especially Mob, who's definitely had better days. As well, Serizawa and Toichiro's relationship smacks of a dark mirror to Mob and Reigen's, though there are only surface-level similarities at the moment.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 5, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sasuke/Shirou looking like Cu Cuchulain was pretty rad.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Expect My Mom posted:

I hope people aren't too bummed by the fakeout,

I was not bummed by the fakeout

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh man the episode ended and I was still expecting so much more to happen the next 7 days are going to be torture.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

hope people aren't too bummed by the fakeout

I am VERY glad that his parents are alive.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
the slice of life stuff has been great, i love all the characterization that's happened this season, but hoo boy i am excited for some completely bonkers psychic battles.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

BaDandy posted:

I am VERY glad that his parents are alive.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This show swung pretty wildly from "March Comes in Like a Lion" to "Hunter x Hunter Yorknew City Arc" in the span of two episodes, wow

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Mob's family wasn't okay I might have dropped the series like a hot potato. That's a bit too much tragedy for my Slice of Life Shounens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Important:

Mukai holding out her pinkies while she eats a burger.