Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I got some gloves that apparently won't let me die if I have a bad status effect on me. What's the best way to abuse the poo poo out of that?
Leech talisman? Mud jars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Add it to another set that gives bonuses for status effects. I think god of war does...

There’s a magic spell that slowly drops your health for more damage, I think that may count as a debuff.

What gloves are these?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm guessing that effect will only negate damage once, then vanish until a new status effect is inflicted. I've had then negate damage buff on my boots for awhile, activating when I do a purification. My assumption is its the same buff, just a different activation condition

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I can't beat the first boss of the DLC! This is driving me crazy. I even summoned someone. He died and then I died. So far I am not enjoying the DLC. Does it get any better after beating Date Shigezane? I'm level 197 and on the final boss of NG+ ffs

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Oh geez, can't read.

He is hard, though you shouldn't need to clear NG+ for him. What's been killing you?

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like I just needed to complain on the internet. I finally beat him but I'm not sure why. I was able to stay in living weapon for 75% of his health. Each time I completed a combo the living weapon gauge went back up. I just stun locked him for the fight.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

I can't beat the first boss of the DLC! This is driving me crazy. I even summoned someone. He died and then I died. So far I am not enjoying the DLC. Does it get any better after beating Date Shigezane? I'm level 197 and on the final boss of NG+ ffs

The second boss of the DLC is far more difficult than the first one, so be prepared for that. At least it's a human vs human fight.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I found the first boss of the DLC to be the hardest one of them all.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

Looks like I just needed to complain on the internet. I finally beat him but I'm not sure why. I was able to stay in living weapon for 75% of his health. Each time I completed a combo the living weapon gauge went back up. I just stun locked him for the fight.

Complaining is the best strategy in many games.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Azran posted:

The second boss of the DLC is far more difficult than the first one, so be prepared for that. At least it's a human vs human fight.

I actually beat him on the first try. I found the whole second area much better than the first.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When in doubt you can cheese every single human opponent with spearfall backstab chains.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The first boss of the first DLC gave me much more trouble than the second. I managed to beat the second on my first try, and for some reason i cannot reproduce the same results when i do a sparring match agaisnt him the second DLC.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Started playing this again. I played it before, but probably only got halfway through the game. I did find a working ultrawide patch, so that is helpful. If anybody needs it.
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32376&start=150

I mostly used spears last time, so I figured I would try something different and use dual katanas. They seem quite strong so far. Sign of the Cross is definitely super useful, as people all say. I easily killed the umbrella vampire boss chick alone on my first attempt without even using living weapon, where as before I found her difficult.

After killing the umbrella chick I did some phantom farming in the kappa killing mission, and have myself a full of warrior of the west. Also got some pretty-strong paralasis double katana "shichisei-ken & heiwhatever-ken" from a phantom mans. It is shredding things way more effectively than my old random drop weapon.

How worried do I need to be about plumbing all of the levels for things like samurai locks and what not? I notice they can drop sometimes from the soul container things on the ground. I assume they are all in preset locations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

How worried do I need to be about plumbing all of the levels for things like samurai locks and what not? I notice they can drop sometimes from the soul container things on the ground. I assume they are all in preset locations.

Not very. The ninja and onmyo locks are useful if you're not investing a lot in dex or magic, but otherwise you get plenty of samurai skill points just from leveling up normally and from proficiency points. Just give another weapon type a go for a bit every once in awhile when you find a good drop for those proficiency level points

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm very late to the party but after enjoying those alpha and beta demos I finally picked up the complete edition and started it the other night.

It seems far easier than I remembered (that first boss in the demo was just a wall I struggled for hours against but I killed him first time last night). I'm taking this to mean I'm just better than I was.

The Diablo style loot is a bit of a put off as it drops a bit thick and fast and I've taken to just dumping it without looking in detail unless they're purple.

Co-op seems entirely dead which isn't helped by needing to sit on the world map to be summoned. That was a really poor design decision

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Picked this up on Steam in uhhh (looks at purchase history) June of last year, and immediately was unimpressed. Not that it was bad, just didn't mesh with or interest me.

Rather than give up on it, I started playing again a few days ago just to see how hard it got. I will get my $30 loving dollars out of this game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Don’t worry there’s a NG++++

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Loot stuff doesnt come into play until higher difficulties where you can build a samurai demigod with right gear.

Until then purple is good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
From about 25% of the way in until you beat your first run you can also keep yourself in good gear - even level-appropriate versions of full armor sets - by whacking some player revenants. It also gives you amrita and some currency toward a later-game feature that will let you unlock stuff like cosmetic transformations and gambling.

You should be doing it all the time unless you're trying to deliberately challenge yourself to using only found gear.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm very late to the party but after enjoying those alpha and beta demos I finally picked up the complete edition and started it the other night.

It seems far easier than I remembered (that first boss in the demo was just a wall I struggled for hours against but I killed him first time last night). I'm taking this to mean I'm just better than I was.

The Diablo style loot is a bit of a put off as it drops a bit thick and fast and I've taken to just dumping it without looking in detail unless they're purple.

Co-op seems entirely dead which isn't helped by needing to sit on the world map to be summoned. That was a really poor design decision

Instead of just dumping unwanted gear, donate it at a shrine for amrita and some bonus items. It's a good way to stock up on elixirs early on. You can just go to the all items tab in the donation menu, and then choose to donate everything below purple quality at once so it only takes a second

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
and dont get into the habit i usually get into where you keep like 500 pieces of armor on you at all times "just in case"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just sell everything you're not wearing for Amrita, unlock all the fun moves and enjoy the game. The loot game is for nerds like me that played it too much. You can make that decision later on.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Unfinish3d posted:

Instead of just dumping unwanted gear, donate it at a shrine for amrita and some bonus items. It's a good way to stock up on elixirs early on. You can just go to the all items tab in the donation menu, and then choose to donate everything below purple quality at once so it only takes a second

That is what I meant by dump! The extra elixer bonuses it provides are very useful

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do wish this game didn’t try to be cute with healing items. Like...dark souls 1 was fine. You have a base allotment and you can increase it with a consumable per rest zone. Elixirs in this game are so futsy. Managing them doesn’t really...I dunno. Fit the weeb samurai fantasy?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird, because Dark Souls 1 absolutely nailed healing mechanics and for some reason nobody - including From themselves - seemed to notice. It's completely mind-boggling that Blood Vials were consumable items in Bloodborne.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've just been sorting by rarity and either donating, selling, or breaking down all of my commons/uncommons. I'm sure I destroyed a few gems I couldn't spot in the flood of worthless riffraff.

I have no idea about the healing items however. I range from 3-8 of the not-Estus and it seems you get lucky and find more or just have the base 3 on respawn... which I find really obnoxious.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Andrigaar posted:

I've just been sorting by rarity and either donating, selling, or breaking down all of my commons/uncommons. I'm sure I destroyed a few gems I couldn't spot in the flood of worthless riffraff.

I have no idea about the healing items however. I range from 3-8 of the not-Estus and it seems you get lucky and find more or just have the base 3 on respawn... which I find really obnoxious.

Your base amount of free elixirs when spawning is tied to how many Kodama you find in the region. So find those little buggers.

Also your excess elixirs are sent to your inventory

Also change your Kodama blessing at a shrine to find more elixir pick ups (also tied to Kodamas)

You eventually get a guardian spirit that lets you see Kodama on the minimap

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 27, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Thanks!

I've just been collecting them because they're cute little fuckers when they pile on the shrine. And now I'll continue to do so.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I've just reached the poison mine level. After a wonderful start it's like the dev team wanted to make sure I knew that secretly they hate me.

What a crappy level

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

I've just reached the poison mine level. After a wonderful start it's like the dev team wanted to make sure I knew that secretly they hate me.

What a crappy level

Remember if you smash the stones spewing the poison they don't respawn when you die/pray at a shrine, so it's something you can slowly make progress on if you need to. There's a few things like that all over the game, where you can make progress even if you die.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ArkInBlack posted:

Remember if you smash the stones spewing the poison they don't respawn when you die/pray at a shrine, so it's something you can slowly make progress on if you need to. There's a few things like that all over the game, where you can make progress even if you die.

Ah, I'd not realised this. I'd been sprinting between fans ignoring monsters to avoid the poison coming back.

This is fine then

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can also just shoot the rocks from up above the poison usually. Two quick rifle shots or a single cannon shot kills them before they regen I think?
Or grab the poison resistance tablets from the ninja tree for cheap.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Poison is honestly not as big of a threat as it seems, but early game you generally don’t have a lot of elixirs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

Or grab the poison resistance tablets from the ninja tree for cheap.

These and the paralyze resist tablets from same are a great investment for any build. Not only are they cheap to both learn and slot, the paralysis ones can even be cast while you're already loving paralyzed.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I really want to beat this game, but I worry I never will. I got decently far into it (I think), and even did (what I thought was) a good amount of grinding and stuff to get past the roadblock I'm stuck at, but I think I just suck too hard to get further.

I made it to Main Mission: The Source of Evil/Sub-Mission: Kuroda's Determination, and I have been stuck there for over a year and a half. Level 108 with a Body/Heart/Skill focus. But I keep winding up getting my poo poo wrecked. Maybe I just need to really, slavishly dive back into it sometime, I dunno. Or maybe it'd help to summon a second player, but I rarely have luck with that.

I remember that when I sat the game down last, there were no guides or anything of the sort past a certain level in the game, almost like those who normally try to help players with those things just kinda quit or something. Is that still the case? I remember there was this one mission a bit back in a castle, with a bunch of ninjas and demons and, I think, even spiders, and I never would have gotten through that Hell if it weren't for other players' help.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm psyched for Nioh 2. I hope they both significantly reduce and dramatically increase the loot game if that makes sense.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I really want to beat this game, but I worry I never will. I got decently far into it (I think), and even did (what I thought was) a good amount of grinding and stuff to get past the roadblock I'm stuck at, but I think I just suck too hard to get further.

I made it to Main Mission: The Source of Evil/Sub-Mission: Kuroda's Determination, and I have been stuck there for over a year and a half. Level 108 with a Body/Heart/Skill focus. But I keep winding up getting my poo poo wrecked. Maybe I just need to really, slavishly dive back into it sometime, I dunno. Or maybe it'd help to summon a second player, but I rarely have luck with that.

I remember that when I sat the game down last, there were no guides or anything of the sort past a certain level in the game, almost like those who normally try to help players with those things just kinda quit or something. Is that still the case? I remember there was this one mission a bit back in a castle, with a bunch of ninjas and demons and, I think, even spiders, and I never would have gotten through that Hell if it weren't for other players' help.

If you're on PS4 I'm pretty free this weekend and can definitely help you punch through the game. PSN's the same as my forum name, if you want to kick a message over or something.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

JBP posted:

I'm psyched for Nioh 2. I hope they both significantly reduce and dramatically increase the loot game if that makes sense.

I think that makes perfect sense but I'm also not sure if any game has ever done Diablo-style loot well. I suspect I just had patience for it when I was younger

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think that makes perfect sense but I'm also not sure if any game has ever done Diablo-style loot well. I suspect I just had patience for it when I was younger

Sure plenty of games have. Nioh's loot problem imo is that everything even sort of interesting about the loot system is relegated to ng+ and beyond. Until you're able to actually find and craft meaningful modifiers on gear you're just on the hunt for the bigger numbers which is the worst way to do randomized loot. I kind of liked creating ng+ sets though because by then getting stat scaling mods or stacking thrown weapon damage or whatever feels impactful. My hope for Nioh 2 is that they have less trash mods, more weird/build defining ones and that they let you play around with them much earlier. Oh and also focus less on gear sets which inevitably makes any non set piece useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Playing slowly and poorly. Still focusing in ax/hammer, but had to spread points around because of stamina/HP issues with all of what I'd consider cheap shots as the game moves on. And utilizing talismans. Have done all of the main and sub-missions through mission 10, but nothing that unlocks after yet.

Gotta say... I'm actually not having a lot of fun with this game despite continuing to see what's next.