Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

So in other words: a completely redundant re-edit that will only serve to break the flow of each episode, seven minute long recaps, and an uninspired new OP and EP?

Now now, the hideously verbose recaps Re:0096 used to try and hide how badly the movies didn't fit into a regular episodic structure capped out at about two and a half worthessly wasted minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ElBrak posted:

I like the Idea of Gihren's Greed and I've tried to play the PS2 version several times, but I am an American baby who doesn't like that I can't read the writing.

Neither can I! My knowledge of kanji is terrible, but I can read katakana/hiragana well enough that MS names aren't an issue. I may have also hosed up enough that I learned the menus/functions via trial and error. I have an ear for spoken Japanese, but since I'm not aware of some of the more sophisticated grammar I really just get the general meaning that people are trying to convey rather than an accurate/complete translation. Since I know enough Gundam, I can generally use my meta-knowledge of the universe to fill in the holes.

The most helpful things to know then are:
  • What each item on the menu does
  • How the basic game systems work
  • What events happen/what triggers certain events
  • What the impact of your decisions are
  • What the hell your adviser is telling you at the start of every turn (actually pretty easy - in the Saturn version, they really just cycle through 3-4 specific lines with some regularity)

GameFaqs is still a good resource for this stuff, but you have to pick your exact GG game - there are enough differences between versions that advice for one doesn't necessarily translate to the other. For example, the guide for the PS/DC Gihren's Greed game advises you to ignore Gaws and use Fat Uncles as MS transports for Zeon instead. That's great and all, but the Fat Uncle isn't in the Saturn version so your only real options in the early game are the Gaw, Gallop, and Dabude (I ended up really constricting my advances on Earth waiting to unlock the Fat Uncle for research, which obviously never happened).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked the Re:0096 OP

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dudermcbrohan posted:

sawano music rips tbh so this is a worse recut

When Sawano isn't layering his songs so thick that you can't parse the melody he's overwhelming. The simpler tracks in Unicorn tend to be better than his giant operatic battle themes. (Apart from Mobile Suit. That theme loving kills)

Overall, I liked The Origin's soundtrack more than Unicorn's music because I'm a sucker for those remastered versions of 0079 themes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

So I've been playing through Gihren's Greed for the Saturn recently and I wanted to ask - is there any interest in starting up a Gihren's Greed Megathread in Games? I saw that the old LP back from 2014 got a decent amount of attention (mine included), so I thought there might be some interest even though the series is more or less dead at this point. I've got about half an OP written up, but I really only know the Saturn original and nothing about the other four games that came after it (even if the 5th is technically a remake of the first, there's enough differences to consider it a separate game). So if there is interest, I'd be happy to get the ball rolling with the original game and add content from there.

I'm currently working through a Zeon playthrough right now - I'll probably do Zeon then Federation and then see what the append disc holds for me. It's seriously the best $5 I've ever spent on a video game, let alone a Saturn game.

If nothing else, it could serve as a good resource/starting point for people interested because there is a desperate lack of such materials in English across the internet.

I’d subscribe to this newsletter. The old thread is here and requires archives.

This is a helpful wiki for Threat of Axis V.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I can read everything in Gihren's Greed just fine but I'm completely hopeless at strategy games so I've never got much farther than moving a few space cruisers around and feeling incredibly lost.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, all good things must end, and that includes my winning streak with Gundam manga.

After the Origin, Gundam Sousei, the Return of Johnny Ridden, the Plot to Assassinate Gihren and To the End of a Flash, I was feeling pretty bullish on UC sidestory comics. That ended with Hunter of Black Clothes.

The manga covers the story of Yet Another Zeon Ace, in this case a tryhard dumbshit named Wolfgang. He's got a girlfriend he wants to keep away from the war, a stupid Warrior Honor thing, and a black paintjob on his Zaku, because that conveys he's a badass, really.

The manga tries to make a big deal about him being a badass in a Zaku. (It acts like this is a novelty, despite the manga coming out in 2012.) His "amazing" exploits tend to consist of taking down 2 or 3 base GMs at a time from a distance by hiding behind rocks. The GM pilots, meanwhile, make the guy who died from getting a Ball kicked at him look like he went out with dignity. Not a single fight feels remotely tense or exciting, with garbage pilots lining up in front of our "hero"'s gun, axe, or shield.

It's not like the character study makes up for it. Where most works I've seen with Zeonic leads grapple at least a little with what it means to try to be a good person fighting for a bad cause, here there's nothing. The protagonist is all grim about his warrior code, which apparently has no issue with killing billions via colony drop, despite demanding that he offer surrender before shooting people. This is only made worse when the story introduces its villain, a GM pilot who pretty much just exists to twirl his mustache, using a civilian shuttle to let him take down the protagonist's Zaku, killing a little girl in one of the most cynical and manipulative bits of writing I've seen in Gundam (which is saying something.)

Our """""hero"""""" swears vengeance despite being allowed to retire and go fishing or something thanks to his injuries and gets in a Zudah, because he's a dumbass. He declares that Zeon has to win the war, because winners write the history books and it's so much more important that he gets cleared for those murders than that Gihren "I take comparisons to Hitler as a compliment!" Zabi is stopped. He also leaves the crew of a Federation ship to die in the vacuum of space, because, again, he's a self-righteous piece of poo poo who's in love with talking about how war made him a demon.

Meanwhile, the Federation viewpoint character is, despite being in intelligence, an idiot, planning to commit war crimes by using a stolen Zeon ship as a bomb against Granada, a target that wasn't even on the Federation priority list. Despite this being a blatant violation of all laws and customs of war, we're expected to sympathize with the dumbass who came up with this plan.

Then, in the end, our """""hero""""" kills the rear end in a top hat GM pilot, then sacrifices his life to blow up the bomb ship because nobody in this knows how to get a bomb to burn up in atmo (despite burning up in the atmosphere being so easy pilots in Gundam do it on accident all the time) or set up a failsafe. As he dies, he marries his girlfriend. Then he's remembered as a hero. The end.

In summary, it's crap, the art's bad, and there's no cool Mobile Suits or MS fights. Pretty harsh end to a good streak.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Do not diss the Zudah.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Even by usual Zeon fanfic standards, that is impressively fascistic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, all good things must end, and that includes my winning streak with Gundam manga.

Well at least you didn't read Iron AcGuy… or at least I hope you didn't. I have a pretty big library of Gundam manga because I'll pick up anything if it's on the 100 yen racks so I own some crap, including Hunter of Black Clothes, but Iron AcGuy is some stupid rear end trash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Acguy: 2250 Miles Across North America is good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RillAkBea posted:

Well at least you didn't read Iron AcGuy… or at least I hope you didn't. I have a pretty big library of Gundam manga because I'll pick up anything if it's on the 100 yen racks so I own some crap, including Hunter of Black Clothes, but Iron AcGuy is some stupid rear end trash.

You can't mention a bad manga without going into more detail, so spill

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ka0 posted:

Do not diss the Zudah.

The Zudah is a cool visual design with a backstory/appearance so dumb and bad that the suit is totally ruined by association.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Zudah is a cool visual design with a backstory/appearance so dumb and bad that the suit is totally ruined by association.

Is it that cool? It's just a Zaku but wonky and weird. I feel they could have done more with 'ramshackle and stupidly fast' as a design concept.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Zudah would be fantastic if the writers realized that a failed prototype that keeps exploding but the company that makes it keeps insisting it's good and getting people killed is wonderful satiric black comedy, not a tale of heroic sacrifice

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

The Zudah would be fantastic if the writers realized that a failed prototype that keeps exploding but the company that makes it keeps insisting it's good and getting people killed is wonderful satiric black comedy, not a tale of heroic sacrifice

MS Igloo in a nutshell right here.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah Igloo kept taking stuff that should have been presented as an example of how awful and wasteful Zeon's endless prototype programs were but instead takes the human cost and says "look at how heroic these sacrifices are! they are true heroes fighting for zeonic freedom!" without even a hint of the self-fellating irony you'd expect form Zeon.

They even have a heroic last minute redemption for the rear end in a top hat Gihren's Youth officer who had sent child soldiers to their deaths in hacked-together mobile pods and press-ganged the non-combatant engineer into piloting the suicidal death trap prototype just a bit earlier :negative:

It wouldn't have even taken much alteration to give Igloo a non-lovely message but ugh. The designs of the prototypes were cool but I feel dirty for saying that because of how bad the message of the show was.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Suicidal death trap prototype could describe a lot of things in IGLOO. I'm pretty sure the sequel had a fuckin' jeep that was supposed to fight Zakus.

Edit: Correction, they just drove around in jeeps. The prototype weapon was a man-sized rocket launcher.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 3, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it that cool? It's just a Zaku but wonky and weird. I feel they could have done more with 'ramshackle and stupidly fast' as a design concept.

It's pretty different than either the Zaku I or the Zaku II. They have a clearly similar lineage, such as the pelvis skirts and the curvature of the leg plating - which they should since they're products of the same tech base - but they're pretty clearly differentiated products.

vs vs

The Zudah is pretty cool because it actually looks like a design stripped down to the bones for maximum speed, and it being a tragic unsafe deathtrap that kills its pilots would have been an okay story to tell if IGLOO was interested in being anything other than weird pseudo-fascist propaganda about brave Nazi aviators.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Zudah is really fun to use in Gundam Battle Operation 2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That was pretty much my thoughts on the thing. And it works even better with it looking more badass than the Zaku II. The Zudah is the cutting edge, elite machine that can go past the limit... and unlike the reliable, chunky, kind of goofy looking Zaku II, it will kill you before you even see a battlefield.

It's a suit for a story where the protagonist's greatest enemy is his own superiors. It's something you send the UC version of Yossarian out in. (Which is another part of why it was such a poor fit in Hunter of Black Clothes. If the protagonist volunteers for a suit like that, he just seems like a dumbass, not a vet.)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I've said it before but my favorite part of that episode of IGLOO is that the brave doomed hero of the episode spends the last five minutes of his life monologuing about what a heroic and noble mobile suit the Zudah is as it literally accelerates him to his death. You'd think he could've spent that time figuring out how to hit the brakes or turn the engine off or literally anything beyond tearfully deifying the F-35 of mobile suits as it rockets him to oblivion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

You can't mention a bad manga without going into more detail, so spill

It's very obvious the guy wanted to make a Marvel fan comic (hence the Iron AcGuy name) but for some reason he wrote it as a Gundam meta story.

It starts off with a Spiderman style nerdy high schooler who has a crush on a popular pretty girl. Instead of being on the school newspaper though he's in the plastic model club and instead of being relateable he and his friend are full awkward neckbeard types. The protagonist eventually decides that the way to win over this girls heart is to dress up like an AcGuy. :psyduck:

Then he gets hit by a truck and is paralysed. :what: This leads into him getting an Iron Man looking AcGuy themed exoskeleton (from a Wolverine proxy for some reason?) so he becomes an actual superhero. Except this is already over halfway through and there isn't any time left for him to suddenly have to fight Gogg man, who is also the man who gave him the exoskeleton for no reason.

The book ends with him finally getting together with his crush right? Nope. She has to move away and he's still an awful neckbeard at the end. There is literally no payoff. As silly as Hunter was his story actual had a proper structure to it and didn't rely on vague yet nonsensical references to other franchises.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's pretty different than either the Zaku I or the Zaku II. They have a clearly similar lineage, such as the pelvis skirts and the curvature of the leg plating - which they should since they're products of the same tech base - but they're pretty clearly differentiated products.

vs vs

The Zudah is pretty cool because it actually looks like a design stripped down to the bones for maximum speed, and it being a tragic unsafe deathtrap that kills its pilots would have been an okay story to tell if IGLOO was interested in being anything other than weird pseudo-fascist propaganda about brave Nazi aviators.

Eh, it still just looks like a redesigned Zaku I with extra kibble. I feel it should be more grotesque, more distorted around those massive, lethal engines.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

It's very obvious the guy wanted to make a Marvel fan comic (hence the Iron AcGuy name) but for some reason he wrote it as a Gundam meta story.

It starts off with a Spiderman style nerdy high schooler who has a crush on a popular pretty girl. Instead of being on the school newspaper though he's in the plastic model club and instead of being relateable he and his friend are full awkward neckbeard types. The protagonist eventually decides that the way to win over this girls heart is to dress up like an AcGuy. :psyduck:

Then he gets hit by a truck and is paralysed. :what: This leads into him getting an Iron Man looking AcGuy themed exoskeleton (from a Wolverine proxy for some reason?) so he becomes an actual superhero. Except this is already over halfway through and there isn't any time left for him to suddenly have to fight Gogg man, who is also the man who gave him the exoskeleton for no reason.

The book ends with him finally getting together with his crush right? Nope. She has to move away and he's still an awful neckbeard at the end. There is literally no payoff. As silly as Hunter was his story actual had a proper structure to it and didn't rely on vague yet nonsensical references to other franchises.

Well that's a shame, also on the topic of weird Gundam manga, I should fish out my copy of Ore Wa Nama Gundam, as it's probably one of the weirdest things to ever be made in Japan

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, it still just looks like a redesigned Zaku I with extra kibble. I feel it should be more grotesque, more distorted around those massive, lethal engines.

The Zudah actually doesn't have a giant engine! It uses the same engine as the Rick Dom. It's just that while the Rick Dom was built to maybe ensure the pilot's survival, the Zudah has a big power plant and is super stripped down and has basically no safety features so it can go really loving fast at the slight cost of overloading and destroying said engine and also the mobile suit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Zudah actually doesn't have a giant engine! It uses the same engine as the Rick Dom. It's just that while the Rick Dom was built to maybe ensure the pilot's survival, the Zudah has a big power plant and is super stripped down and has basically no safety features so it can go really loving fast at the slight cost of overloading and destroying said engine and also the mobile suit.

The Rick Dom is grotesquely distorted, though? Like, its chest is nearly twice as wide as the Zaku's, and then there's those legs. A stripped-down one should be this weird skeletal thing with a barrel chest and gigantic thrusters and fuel tanks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The Rick Dom is grotesquely distorted, though? Like, its chest is nearly twice as wide as the Zaku's, and then there's those legs. A stripped-down one should be this weird skeletal thing with a barrel chest and gigantic thrusters and fuel tanks.

That's mostly because the Rick Dom is barely altered from the original Dom beyond the changes needed for it to work in space

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

That's mostly because the Rick Dom is barely altered from the original Dom beyond the changes needed for it to work in space

Yeah, but the reason it's barely altered is because a giant engine and giant thrusters in your legs are just as useful in space, if not more so. The Dreissen, which is designed primarily for space combat, is built along pretty much the same principles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zedd posted:

I see this statue like every week:

I doubt anybody knows what it is. :v:

Where is it out of interest?

LuiCypher posted:

Spoilers, because Ramba Ral and Doms actually have a significant impact in-game that people might want to be surprised by:
If you've researched Doms by the time Ral does his second sortie against White Base (the first destroys his team's Gouf and Zakus, as seen in the show, so he asks you for a resupply), you have the option of overriding Kycilia/M'Quve and giving him said Doms. He puts them to very good use - with them he is able to successfully destroy the Gundam and capture White Base, the Guncannon, and the Guntank (which also gives you their plans for research/production - given that I've stolen all of two plans (none of which are guaranteed to be good) about a third of the way through the game, having three plans for Very Good Federation tech is a big deal). Plus, he and the rest of his team survive!

I just can't see this as having been true in Mobile Suit Gundam itself, because Amuro destroys the Black Tristars in 3 Doms only a couple of days later after no significant conflict to make him grow as a pilot. While none of the three are as individually skilled as Ramba, there are 3 of them on the other hand and all of them are going to be far more skilled on an individual level than any of the rest of Ramba's forces.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Where is it out of interest?

I just can't see this as having been true in Mobile Suit Gundam itself, because Amuro destroys the Black Tristars in 3 Doms only a couple of days later after no significant conflict to make him grow as a pilot. While none of the three are as individually skilled as Ramba, there are 3 of them on the other hand and all of them are going to be far more skilled on an individual level than any of the rest of Ramba's forces.

The entire Ghiren’s Greed series gives you opportunities to completely derail the plots of just about everything in the UC. Try not to get hung up on the pivot point being the only difference but consider instead that the single choice comes with a host of other implications. In this case, it’s not just a new mobile suit but additional supplies and personnel that means his second attack has 10x as many people on his side as it did in the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh I get that it's just a fanon thing to put in a game to make interesting "What If's", I just mean in the show itself. I guess I'm used to seeing it come up on /m/, where lots of people argue that if Ramba had gotten a Dom in the show he'd have been able to beat Amuro.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Oh I get that it's just a fanon thing to put in a game to make interesting "What If's", I just mean in the show itself. I guess I'm used to seeing it come up on /m/, where lots of people argue that if Ramba had gotten a Dom in the show he'd have been able to beat Amuro.

“My favorite character is actually the best, no YOU shut the gently caress up” arguments are faith-based.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It feels very on the nose that Zeon fanboys play the same game Nazi fanboys do where they try to come up with some small change that would have led to their side winning.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Suicidal death trap prototype could describe a lot of things in IGLOO. I'm pretty sure the sequel had a fuckin' jeep that was supposed to fight Zakus.

Edit: Correction, they just drove around in jeeps. The prototype weapon was a man-sized rocket launcher.

Those scaled up TOW-launcher things? I think they were standard issue feddie weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the Zudah looks a bit naff, though I am the guy who likes my grunt suits to be chunky bois.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Captain Cappy posted:

It feels very on the nose that Zeon fanboys play the same game Nazi fanboys do where they try to come up with some small change that would have led to their side winning.

If it's any consolation (probably not much) my understanding is that, at least in the original Saturn version, winning with Zeon pretty much REQUIRES you to go all in on warcrimes. Like, the prerequisite to winning a complete victory is to conquer Jaburo, and the only way to conquer Jaburo is get super lucky with Char's raid (which requires Ramba Ral to die so Char can tail the White Base) or, more likely, to successfully do another colony drop. And even before you get around to Operation British 2 if you're successful enough in conquering regions the game eventually has Gato pop in and say "Hey, let's just go ahead and break the Antarctic treaty and put Nukes on Zakus", and so you do and you can start making Nuclear Zakus, which are, again, walking War Crimes.

Notably later Gihren's Greed games actually have an alignment system, and the rewards for playing nice are apparently better than being evil so you can play Lost Causer Zeon and Nice Guy Titans with zero irony. I don't know the deep down intricacies of the games besides the Wiki, but it's an amusing read just to see which characters join/leave depending on alignment. Like if you're super duper moral as Axis characters like Judau and Char join you but might leave if you don't play nice, and by that same token some people actually leave certain factions if you aren't evil enough. The alignment recruitment lists on the whole are a veritable who's-who of random Gundam sidestory dudes like Yu Kajima or Shin Matsunaga.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 3, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would Char join your Axis only if you're super moral? He's one of the most amoral characters in the franchise, and he only generally gives a poo poo about fulfilling his own objectives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Why would Char join your Axis only if you're super moral? He's one of the most amoral characters in the franchise, and he only generally gives a poo poo about fulfilling his own objectives.

By the time of Zeta, he's sincerely trying to be a good guy. It's a serious uphill struggle and he keeps screwing up, but he does seem to want to be a good dad for Kamille and Mineva and to finally do his own dad's ideology justice. Don't mistake lack of ability for lack of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

By the time of Zeta, he's sincerely trying to be a good guy. It's a serious uphill struggle and he keeps screwing up, but he does seem to want to be a good dad for Kamille and Mineva and to finally do his own dad's ideology justice. Don't mistake lack of ability for lack of interest.

He doesn't keep screwing up though; he mostly just doesn't like the results and ends up walking away regardless, even when his side actually won. The only real screw-up he made was getting mad at Haman during negotiations, and even then, things manage to work out in the end so that Neo Zeon align with AEUG afterwards. The Titans are defeated in the finale though, and he disappears immediately. It might have felt like a pyrrhic victory, but it was one regardless and within a couple of years he's popped up leading his own nation to lob two separate asteroids at Earth. A nation he signs a peace treaty as the head of; and then invalidates the whole thing because he wants to punish Earthnoids for being selfish and to fight Amuro.

If he's capable, then he's not interested. Or possibly he's interested but just not capable. Either way, his own desire to see things done his way or the highway meant he took his feelings out on the world in a violent manner in both 0079 and Char's Counterattack and that even in Zeta he got annoyed about things not going his way fast enough and wondered about doing things in a faster, but less moral way (i.e. wondering about the need for cyber newtypes near the end).